Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 Sherry Ann Jarvis

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I gotcha, that actually happened to my grandma when she was about 14 or 15. Her stepmother chased her out the door smacking her with a hair brush. She said she left and never went back.

Yeah, exactly, it happened to a girl I went to high school with, too. It's shockingly common.

Being a 14-year-old-girl, I don't see how her whole family would be glad she was gone. She would had to be the rottenest little girl in the world.

Not necessarily. Her family could be the rotten ones. Let's face it, she wasn't a bad looking girl. Could have been jealous or not like her for many reasons. She could have also been adopted.

Hopefully one day she'll be identified.

Biting my tongue off here, because I don't want to be caught up in a conversation about why and/or/how this sweet child was a runaway or a push-away. An interesting question is: who was the person that dropped her off. It's a pity he/she never came forward to tell if he knew her or where he picked her up.

Biting my tongue off here, because I don't want to be caught up in a conversation about why and/or/how this sweet child was a runaway or a push-away. An interesting question is: who was the person that dropped her off. It's a pity he/she never came forward to tell if he knew her or where he picked her up.

Yeah, it's not directly relevant. Only that her background might yield a hint about another direction to look for where she came from.

I suspect that the guy she got a ride with probably went on with his trip and never heard about the murder, or if he did, didn't connect it to his rider.

I really feel that WCJD's parents just didn't care much about her, didn't treat her well and thus weren't surprised when she disappeared... they probably think she started a new life somewhere & are letting her be. That's my guess.

She could have been an orphan, or in a girls' home.
Patricia Taylor was in a girls' home in OK, a ward of the state when she went missing in 1981. She told some of her coworkers she was running away, and had done so before, but always came back. As far as I can tell by what her family has posted, OK DHHS didn't even report her missing, just closed out her case when she aged out of the system two years later. They didn't even tell her family back then she was gone. How lousy is that? If her family hadn't gone to them to find out what happened to her, her MP case would never have come to the light of day.
This could be a similar situation.

Yeah, it's not directly relevant. Only that her background might yield a hint about another direction to look for where she came from.

I suspect that the guy she got a ride with probably went on with his trip and never heard about the murder, or if he did, didn't connect it to his rider.

I know what you mean....I keep my eyes and mind open....

Welcome to WS, and thanks for joining the discussion.

My own opinion is that WCJD's killer was a truck driver. That would certainly include Rhodes, but not Shore.

Shore was only 18 at the time of WCJD's murder, and his M.O. was apparently to stalk his victims within his own neighborhood.

WCJD was last seen walking out the door of the restaurant at the Hitchin Post Truck Stop (which is adjacent to the northbound onramp of I-45), and was then found dead the following morning 3 1/2 miles north of there.

There was no place between those locations where the killer would have been able to park a vehicle so that he could commit the assault, torture, rape, and murder without risking been seen by a passing motorist. The assault against her would have been difficult to pull off on the side of a highway, and the evidence suggested that her body was thrown into the position in which she was found. (probably from a vehicle that was high above the ground)

The killer would have needed privacy in an enclosed area to perform the act. A truck's sleeper compartment would have provided that privacy. An ordinary vehicle would not have afforded that level of privacy.
IMO, the Hitchin Post parking lot was the only place between the HP and the dump site where the murder could have occurred. And there was plenty of space for a trucker to park his vehicle in a far corner of the lot, away from the other trucks.

All of that would make Shore an unlikely suspect, because even if he had a vehicle, he didn't have the type of vehicle that would have enabled him to commit the crime without notice.

Did they get rhodes truck when he was apprehended. Any way to know what kind evidence was collected from there or his residence I haven't seen that kind of information made public? Where there attempts to match any other potential suspects dental records to her bite imprints left?

Yes they have or had it. I tried to post a link but it didn't work. If you Google it, you will find it.

Not sure if any of you follow "who was walker county Jane doe" on FB. But thought I would share this unconfirmed development in case it Sparks some discussion or reaches someone who can help.

I recently received a series of comments on the last promoted post, from a long-term resident of Aransas Pass named Theresa. I spoke with Theresa on the phone this morning, and I will summarize the info she provided in the comments of the thread, and during the telephone conversation.

I offer no opinion of the credibility of this information. I am putting it out and am asking the residents of Aransas Pass/Rockport if the following information might remind them of anyone they might have known.

I did forward this information to Detective Bean of the Walker County Sheriff Department.

Theresa started the comments by saying that a male friend of hers knew the girl. He says her last name is Louis, but he didn’t know her first name. In the subsequent telephone conversation, she said the surname might have been spelled Lewis, and as she recalls, her first name might have been Elaine, or something like that.

The girl's father worked for Theresa's aunt, whose name was Gertrude Kelly. Ms. Kelly owned a concession associated with the Wagner’s Carnival company in Aransas Pass, and passed away some time in the 1980's. Wagner's would run carnivals that operated in the Eastern Texas area surrounding Corpus Christi. There were many drifter types who would travel in and out of the area to work the carnivals and on the shrimp boats. Many of those persons had criminal records.

Mr. Louis/Lewis had an arrest record, she believes for drug related offenses. His job was to set up and take down the carnival rides. He was of medium height & weight, had sandy colored hair and blue eyes, and spoke with a "Louisiana Bayou" or Cajun accent. But he lived in the Rockport area. Theresa said everyone addressed each other by their last names, so she didn’t know his first name

The girl's mother might have been named Sonya (but Theresa wasn't sure). Sonya lived in Rockport and frequented the bars in the area.

Theresa remembers the girl, because she was concerned that the girl was hanging out with the older men who were working the carnival. She asked Mr. Louis about the girl out of concern for her well being, since many of these men were of dubious character. Mr. Louis told Theresa that it was no problem, that she was his daughter.

Not sure if any of you follow "who was walker county Jane doe" on FB. But thought I would share this unconfirmed development in case it Sparks some discussion or reaches someone who can help.

I recently received a series of comments on the last promoted post, from a long-term resident of Aransas Pass named Theresa. I spoke with Theresa on the phone this morning, and I will summarize the info she provided in the comments of the thread, and during the telephone conversation.

I offer no opinion of the credibility of this information. I am putting it out and am asking the residents of Aransas Pass/Rockport if the following information might remind them of anyone they might have known.

I did forward this information to Detective Bean of the Walker County Sheriff Department.

Theresa started the comments by saying that a male friend of hers knew the girl. He says her last name is Louis, but he didn’t know her first name. In the subsequent telephone conversation, she said the surname might have been spelled Lewis, and as she recalls, her first name might have been Elaine, or something like that.

The girl's father worked for Theresa's aunt, whose name was Gertrude Kelly. Ms. Kelly owned a concession associated with the Wagner’s Carnival company in Aransas Pass, and passed away some time in the 1980's. Wagner's would run carnivals that operated in the Eastern Texas area surrounding Corpus Christi. There were many drifter types who would travel in and out of the area to work the carnivals and on the shrimp boats. Many of those persons had criminal records.

Mr. Louis/Lewis had an arrest record, she believes for drug related offenses. His job was to set up and take down the carnival rides. He was of medium height & weight, had sandy colored hair and blue eyes, and spoke with a "Louisiana Bayou" or Cajun accent. But he lived in the Rockport area. Theresa said everyone addressed each other by their last names, so she didn’t know his first name

The girl's mother might have been named Sonya (but Theresa wasn't sure). Sonya lived in Rockport and frequented the bars in the area.

Theresa remembers the girl, because she was concerned that the girl was hanging out with the older men who were working the carnival. She asked Mr. Louis about the girl out of concern for her well being, since many of these men were of dubious character. Mr. Louis told Theresa that it was no problem, that she was his daughter.

Wow! That is definitely intriguing! Off I go to dig:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fyi the "girl" in question is the girl "Kathy or Kathleen". Brought forward in the 2015 development.

Welcome to websleuths! :)

Yes CarlK shared this already and we have discussed at some length (have a read back through the last couple of pages of the thread). I understand that CarlK is the admin of that Facebook group and is the one who has had the conversations directly with Theresa.

If you're interested in this case it's worth reading back through this whole thread - or at least skim reading - a lot of interesting info and discussion.

Correct Carl from my understanding is. Thank you for the welcome. I have followed this case for quite a while. Lots of interesting stuff in this thread and I think it’s great how all are working together to bring closure in these type cases.

I have have just recently decided to try to become more involved and try to dig some myself. At this point I would imagine her killer is likely dead or in jail but I sure would love to see her identity recovered. God bless her soul.

Fyi the "girl" in question is the girl "Kathy or Kathleen". Brought forward in the 2015 development.

The girl mentioned by Theresa may or may not be "Kathy" from the motel pic. My understanding was that "the girl" was in reference to the reconstructions of WCJD.

There has not been any specific connection of "Elaine" at Wagner's Carnival Co. to motel "Kathy".

Ok, I don’t need to link the Reddit post because most of the information is over on the Lyle Stevik’s thread. I’ll put it below. Anyways, over on the Lyle Stevik’s Reddit page where this news is listed, one comment asks if Walker County Jane Doe could possibly be the next case they look into. The geneticists replied back that they would look into it.
Obviously this isn’t a guarantee of anything, but it’s exciting to think that there may be progress in her case and that maybe just maybe she can finally be identified.
Hi folks, Someone told me about these recent posts so I registered in order to make some corrections. Colleen Fitzpatrick and I have recently started DNA Doe Project – our website (under construction) is dnadoeproject.org. Our purpose is to tackle unidentified John and Jane Does by raising funds for specialized lab testing of their DNA, then attempting to locate their families as we do when we help adoptees looking for theirs. We are working on three cases at the moment and just agreed to take on Lyle Stevik as our fourth. The ME is making arrangements to get the sample to the lab to test its quality and concentration. We have been providing details to the Reddit group and Facebook group “Can You Identify Lyle Stevik” today and people are already pledging donations to cover the expensive sequencing needed in cases like these. (He can’t spit in a vial and do and Ancestry DNA test.) We are accepting donations toward existing and future cases (by check, until paypal is set up – see our website dnadoeproject.org) but are telling people to hold off on donations earmarked specifically for Lyle, until we know the DNA is good enough to proceed. That will NOT be this weekend – more likely a couple of weeks. We’ll update all the forums and our website when we have those results. The good news is, if the DNA is sufficient, we’ve nearly reached our funding goal in the few hours since our involvement was posted.

We do want everyone to understand that the odds of successful identification are not huge – there are many challenges with these sorts of cases. So each is a gamble. We’ve put in our own funds as well. The cause is so worth it, and even a slim chance of success where CODIS and tips and all else have failed, would be phenomenal.

Thank you for your interest,

Margaret Press, PhD
Cofounder DNA Doe Project.

Ok, I don’t need to link the Reddit post because most of the information is over on the Lyle Stevik’s thread. I’ll put it below. Anyways, over on the Lyle Stevik’s Reddit page where this news is listed, one comment asks if Walker County Jane Doe could possibly be the next case they look into. The geneticists replied back that they would look into it.
Obviously this isn’t a guarantee of anything, but it’s exciting to think that there may be progress in her case and that maybe just maybe she can finally be identified.

That's great - it's really going to be DNA work that solves so many of these old cases I think. How exciting to think about how many families will get closure and/or get reunited with their loved ones in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove