TX TX - Iola, near Bull Creek Bridge, WhtFem 13-19, UP4611, 1904 coin ring, mechanic's cloth, Oct'81

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What do you think about
Sheryl Denise Taylor? - she isn't in NamUs - she just has a Charley Project Profile

View attachment 397684View attachment 397685

Things that match up or are close (UID could have been named Cheryl according to NamUs)
Cheryl was 12 when she went missing - UID was to be between 13-19
Both are said to have Red/Auburn hair
Cheryl went missing in 1978 - UID was said have been there for up to 5 years (1976-1981)

Height and weight are off but the UID was skeletal remains so I have seen them off plenty of times.
I was in contact last week with the Ottawa County Sheriff's Dept (who is the contact for Sheryl's case)
They are going to look into it.

Just received this article from the Ottawa Sheriff’s Dept - i teared up that they took me seriously

Just received this article from the Ottawa Sheriff’s Dept - i teared up that they took me seriously

I hope they locate a relative of Sheryl soon. It's weird that all of her family left town just days after she disappeared.

Great work!
Am I understanding correctly that they lost track of Sheryl's family after they moved?

I'm not getting too excited yet. I will if we get a match but for now, I'm still keeping other Jane Doe's in mind. I think Bowling Green Jane Doe is a possibility, but there's another Doe in Texas I think may match but I wont mention it until we get a result.

I hope they locate a relative of Sheryl soon. It's weird that all of her family left town just days after she disappeared.
I thought the same thing.
That’s what I am guessing. Her entire disappearance is so strange - she was freaking 12 years old! I have 3 daughters of my own - I just can’t even imagine.

I'm not getting too excited yet. I will if we get a match but for now, I'm still keeping other Jane Doe's in mind. I think Bowling Green Jane Doe is a possibility, but there's another Doe in Texas I think may match but I wont mention it until we get a result.
I am excited because they actually took my possible match seriously. It's enough to get the ball rolling. I reached out to the agency listed on the Jane Doe's NamUs page with no response, so I reached out to Sheryl's contact.

I am excited because they actually took my possible match seriously. It's enough to get the ball rolling. I reached out to the agency listed on the Jane Doe's NamUs page with no response, so I reached out to Sheryl's contact.
I mean I'm not getting too excited about the match yet. I am excited that we may be able to get a DNA sample from Sheryl's family and if that gets put in the system she may match to a Jane Doe, the Iola Doe or not.

So one of the articles that was published last night - the DA of Ottawa County, Mark Wall said he received a "tip" which led him to this Jane Doe in Texas. So the B*tch that I became, messaged the Ottawa Sheriff's Dept and asked why he was trying to take credit - supposedly he has been working on her case for awhile and leading to dead ends. They gave him all the information that I sent them and he ran with it. At least he was able to get into contact with the Jane Doe's correct contact unlike myself.

I wouldn't have let this bother me so much but I matched a case in 2013- 2014 in Cleveland OH (both the missing and UID were in NamUs) - I was interviewed by LE by phone was told what a good job I did - then my friend that lives in that area sent me an article in their newspaper where LE took credit in making the match.

My main focus here is to give this Jane Doe her name back and to find out what happened to Sheryl. I just needed to vent above.

So one of the articles that was published last night - the DA of Ottawa County, Mark Wall said he received a "tip" which led him to this Jane Doe in Texas. So the B*tch that I became, messaged the Ottawa Sheriff's Dept and asked why he was trying to take credit - supposedly he has been working on her case for awhile and leading to dead ends. They gave him all the information that I sent them and he ran with it. At least he was able to get into contact with the Jane Doe's correct contact unlike myself.

I wouldn't have let this bother me so much but I matched a case in 2013- 2014 in Cleveland OH (both the missing and UID were in NamUs) - I was interviewed by LE by phone was told what a good job I did - then my friend that lives in that area sent me an article in their newspaper where LE took credit in making the match.

My main focus here is to give this Jane Doe her name back and to find out what happened to Sheryl. I just needed to vent above.
That is so sad. While LE has the power, they should credit the people who led them to there. They wouldn't have gotten there as quick without it. At least we know it was your work that led them to it! I feel really bad about that Cleveland Case you mentioned and how police stole the credit.
Also, I must say that I have felt down in making matches. Sometimes I just assume all the Doe's that haven't been matches likely don't have a matching report and the match can only be made with genetic genealogy. It's the reason why I have started making less matches and have shifted to discussion and spreading awareness. I guess that was my vent.

That is so sad. While LE has the power, they should credit the people who led them to there. They wouldn't have gotten there as quick without it. At least we know it was your work that led them to it! I feel really bad about that Cleveland Case you mentioned and how police stole the credit.
Also, I must say that I have felt down in making matches. Sometimes I just assume all the Doe's that haven't been matches likely don't have a matching report and the match can only be made with genetic genealogy. It's the reason why I have started making less matches and have shifted to discussion and spreading awareness. I guess that was my vent.
I know how you feel. A lot of cases that I have worked on over the years have been solved recently with the genealogy. Don't give up!
I haven't been doing as many as I used to either, but when I saw Sheryl and went on NamUs to see if any Jane Doe's had any characteristics that lined up.

I also just turned one in again this morning that I never heard back from. FL - FL - Christmas, WhtFem 259UFFL, 24-29, incomplete braces removal, Dec'03

I hope at least you get "rewarded" for your match on here if your tip is right. If a member finds a match it's put in the header of the thread when identification come through, at least that's what I've seen a few times, and we will know a member has brought a case to a solution. One of my dreams is that one day can I bring somebody home. The eureka moment. That's why II still try to match, but I'm being a bit more skeptical. I have the feeling (with so many people searching and being into this on different forums and the internet groups) most possible matches have already been considered by the crowd. Matching "by hand" mostly doesn't happen because there are a lot of missing-missing people (not in the files known to us or never reported missing) and on the other side a lot of bodies still not found, or found with very limited descriptions or unknown to the public (not entered in a database) Thank you all for keeping the faith and the work.

I hope at least you get "rewarded" for your match on here if your tip is right. If a member finds a match it's put in the header of the thread when identification come through, at least that's what I've seen a few times, and we will know a member has brought a case to a solution. One of my dreams is that one day can I bring somebody home. The eureka moment. That's why II still try to match, but I'm being a bit more skeptical. I have the feeling (with so many people searching and being into this on different forums and the internet groups) most possible matches have already been considered by the crowd. Matching "by hand" mostly doesn't happen because there are a lot of missing-missing people (not in the files known to us or never reported missing) and on the other side a lot of bodies still not found, or found with very limited descriptions or unknown to the public (not entered in a database) Thank you all for keeping the faith and the work.
Yes - I made the Match of Cynthia Day who went missing in August 1990 from IL and her body was found in Missouri. I made the match in 2010. It took the family a long time to receive her remains. They boiled her bones so they couldn't extract her DNA. They finally found fingerprints they could match. I was in contact with her daughter Melody for years.

October 29, 1981, a local highway worker stopped to pick up a garbage bag discarded in a 10-foot-deep ditch alongside FM 244 in Grimes County, Texas, near the town of Iola. The worker was stunned when a human skull rolled out.

Iola, Texas is approximately one square mile and has a population of 311 (according to the 2020 US Census). None of its citizens were missing, so the female murder victim recovered by the Grimes County Sheriff's Criminal Investigation Department wasn't from Iola.

Who is Iola Jane Doe?

The skeletal remains were of a white teenage girl, estimated between thirteen and nineteen years old, with auburn hair. She had extensive dental work, including thirteen fillings. She was about 5 feet and 3 inches tall and had an estimated weight of 110 pounds.

https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=2Ig1eb_0kh8U5dv00

Found with the murder victim was a pair of pink panties with black trim, a white towel, what appeared to be a mechanic's drop cloth, and a coin ring that had been repurposed as a necklace. The ring featured a gold-colored replica of a Saint-Gaudens $20 double eagle coin. Imprinted on the ring is 1904, which was the year President Theodore Roosevelt commissioned sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens to create the American eagle and double eagle gold coins. These coins were first minted in 1907. In a 2018 article on WRAL News, former Grimes County CID Lieutenant Daniel Wagnon said, "These replica Saint-Gauden rings were popular and sold in teen magazines during the 1970s and 1980s."

https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=1yEtVF_0kh8U5dv00

This replica Saint-Guaden's coin ring, repurposed as a necklace, was found with the remains of a murdered teen in Iola, TX in October 1981.

I know how you feel. A lot of cases that I have worked on over the years have been solved recently with the genealogy. Don't give up!
I haven't been doing as many as I used to either, but when I saw Sheryl and went on NamUs to see if any Jane Doe's had any characteristics that lined up.

I also just turned one in again this morning that I never heard back from. FL - FL - Christmas, WhtFem 259UFFL, 24-29, incomplete braces removal, Dec'03
The main thing I believe I have done through this case is finding that yearbook photo of Sheryl. It's being used everywhere and I am glad it is. I think she makes a better fit for another Jane Doe found in Texas but I will post it on Sheryl's thread as it isn't really relevant on this one.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mygrowingbranches
Back