TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m so confused.

it doesn’t seem like he lost control on a curve, plus the map doesn’t seem to show hairpin turns?

Did we ever find the exact location on Salt Flat?

Once
police ran the plates and contacted his family, why wouldn’t the family say this was serious and the police would keep his belongings? In stead of giving them to the family, only to have to go back and get them from the family?

that path the car took looked, to me, as if somebody had fallen asleep while driving?

That tree he hit does not seem that close to the road. It was posted that an oil field worker drove by around 11:30 p.m. and did not see anything. Could it be that the wreck was so far off the road that it couldn't be seen, at least not coming from that direction?

The person who spotted it at 12:30 a.m. was a firefighter returning from a call. Did he go by there on his way to the call? At what time? Could it be that the car couldn't be seen unless coming from the other direction? Maybe the wreck happened a lot earlier.

I was wondering if he walked down the road before or after he walked to a nearby pond? It seems his scent was picked up in two different places.
I was wondering this too. This area seems to be full of dangers—especially to a person disoriented from a wreck, possibly injured and in complete dark (remember no moon that night and zero street lights. It would be almost absolute darkness. The creeks and ponds, the uncapped wells, the extremely thick mesquite. Ugh. So many bad possibilities.

But the dogs having his scent walking back toward Luling and then losing it is interesting. Sounds like he could have been picked up. And yeah—where does the tracking to the pond come in?

I’m so confused.

it doesn’t seem like he lost control on a curve, plus the map doesn’t seem to show hairpin turns?

Once
police ran the plates and contacted his family, why wouldn’t the family say this was serious and the police would keep his belongings? In stead of giving them to the family, only to have to go back and get them from the family?
I think LE thought—college kid, probably drunk & left the scene. He’ll show up at home in a day or so...

Walking back towards Luling makes sense especially if he was a bit panicked/disoriented and unable to immediately locate his phone because it went between/below the seats. But yeah, curious that the scent disappeared. Is there another reason his scent would just disappear OTHER than him getting in a car at that point? Honestly asking, as I'm not sure. I know dogs are not infallible, but this seems a bit concerning to me. MOO

This driver who passed that way earlier but saw nothing, how did he enter the story?
Did he contact LE or did LE contact him?

Such a narrow window.

Just really curious how he knew to come forward.

Holding out for a Christmas miracle.

JMO

I’m so confused.

Once
I agree! This seems very odd

Interesting, since the only real timeframe we have is the report of someone driving by and seeing nothing, followed by the returning vol firefighter finding the wrecked car an hour later. Nice thought process, @renarde!

Would theories change if the accident happened earlier than thought?

It still seems like it couldn’t have happened TOO much earlier without being reported by a driver heading back to town in the same direction as the firefighter. But maybe if it’s still at night, someone sees a wrecked-but-not-totally-crashed car with no one there, and might prefer to keep going and not get involved in filing a police report for many reasons.

I wish we knew 1) were the headlights on (or in the On position) when the car was found, and 2) what caught the firefighter’s attention regarding the car. A reflection? Lights on and off-road?

It would seem more odd that his parents were woken up if they had actually expected him home earlier that day. For me, the darkness significantly contributes to whatever happened to him (tragic accident, I fear). I don’t think I can roll back the timeline far enough to think it was still light out when the accident happened, but if so? I’d tend more toward he stayed on the road, may have walked further than thought, and then? I’m not sure. :confused:

And... did the firefighter stop to check things out? Or just call it in?

Last edited:
I am not very tech savvy, so I ask why would that level of security be needed on his phone?

Gosh, I don’t use much in the way of security and nothing on my phone as I can’t imagine it interesting anyone. Though to be fair, I do not use it much and not for any banking or purchases. I hope they can find a hacker...it seems kind of mind boggling if indeed he had it protected in a way that LE’s computer staff can’t deal with it. Jmo

The video clip here shows the area where the car was found (includes the tree that the car hit):

‘We just want you home’: Search continues for missing Texas State University student

Hmmmmm @ his father's comment "We just want you home. Nothing else matters." I find that an odd thing to say about someone missing after an accident (or missing without an accident). To me, 'nothing' that matters has to be 'something'. So, IMHO, I feel like there's more to the story and maybe they had words? Or maybe he did something his father (and/or mother) didn't approve of? Then again, I could be reading more into something that as his father said... is 'nothing'.

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry face hurdles as physical search ends

To Note:
•LE acknowledged that decisions made shortly after Landry’s car was found have posed added challenges to the sheriff department’s investigation as detectives try and track Landry’s movements around the time of his December 14 disappearance.
•LE is now focusing on Landry’s digital footprint AND his cell phone
•his cell phone along with additional personal belongings that were not initially processed were given to family early on
•deputies traveled to the Houston to meet with Landry’s relatives and retrieve some items of evidence
•Miller said that Landry’s cell phone is locked, and because of the type of security code he uses, it may take months to unlock it.
•But the sheriff’s sergeant said he expects that cell phone and other relevant data will be retrievable through “blanket subpoenas” to technology companies like Facebook and Google, where Landry’s data is likely stored on the cloud.
•“The only thing we can’t get is data stored only on the phone,” Miller said.
•LE have been contacting or attempting to contact fellow students and anyone they believe may have been in communication with Landry in the days and hours leading up to his disappearance.
•Asked if investigators believe Landry would be found alive, Miller said his department simply does not have enough evidence to form a single working theory about what happened to the young man

Concerning his phone:
Based on info quoted above, does this mean LE is unable to get into his phone to get info stored on it due to it being locked & getting that info may take several months? But LE feel they can get a subpoena to get whatever info JL has stored in iCloud?
So info ONLY stored on his phone=unable to access
Info stored in ICloud=will be able to access w/ subpoena ??

And this is what they’re referring to when they mention JL’s digital footprints AND cellphone?

I just cannot wrap my theory in this case to anything to suggest to others. Although, his phone was (my term, is this correct????) In a place he put to hide? Then again, in an accident it would perhaps go all over the place. Wasn't something not under the seats, but shoved in somewhere... geez, I'm getting cases mixed up again.
His phone was found "lodged under a seat", which easily could have resulted from the crash/impact. I knew someone who was in a fatal crash -- his eyeglasses were found in the trunk.

This is such a strange case. Usually when Tim and TES discontinue their search early, it's because they received information that totally change the direction of the search (IMO). Jason's friends being completely silent makes me believe there is much more known than the public has access to. I imagine the police have a pretty solid theory about Jason's whereabouts or wellbeing, and informing the public somehow would jeopardize their efforts.

Gosh, I don’t use much in the way of security and nothing on my phone as I can’t imagine it interesting anyone.

If you use social media, text and email on your phone, are you comfortable with someone finding your lost phone and having access to everything in those apps? How about pretending to be you?

I work in IT security and am more paranoid than most, but is I found an unprotected phone or tablet, I could learn way more about someone then they would be comfortable with. Always password protect your phone, tablet and computers. Give the password to your loved one if that makes you more comfortable, but you don’t want a thief or someone who finds your phone, tablet or laptop to be able to access your info or pretend to be you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx