TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t find the article that says exactly where in the car the phone was found. Does anyone know? We didn’t just guess it was lodged between seats, did we?

You did. lol

(Click on search field in the upper right corner, then select Search this thread only) Searching this thread for the word lodged, since I'm 100% positive that word was used, comes up with the results folks are looking for. The answer is... *drumroll* It was found lodged UNDER the seat (not between them).

It would be important to know where the blood is, like on the inside roof of the car or the side window or on the passenger side. It might tell where he was in the car if it is his blood. And, if it is not his blood, it tells a lot more.

And as with another case we are following, touch DNA on a passenger bag which ???do we know if deployed???. But I've read nothing to lead me to yet believe someone else was in the car.

I find it really unlikely that he was hit by another vehicle, and then hidden or taken away from the scene. This possibility is always put forward but to my knowledge has never turned out to be the case. Seems far more likely he took off on foot and got lost, or is indeed in that pond or another. Sadly this disappearance seems much like the numerous other young men who vanish only to be found in water. Who knows why...maybe at least some of them are relieving themselves, others can’t see where they are walking & etc...all jmo.
Yes, I’ve always wondered why so many young men end up in water. Especially, in this type of scenario. I just don’t get it. Maybe someone has insight on the reasoning behind this. I sure don’t. I’m the mom of 3 young men. Even when in nature, none choose to relieve themselves in water. (Or at least not that I’m aware of).

ETA: Though I guess in this type of scenario...water could be a common finding due to the fact that it was so dark. Due to limited visibility, he *could* have unexpectedly ended up in water, then due to injuries (especially head trauma)... was unable to get out of the water.

Last edited:
This case is very sad. I live in the central Texas area and went to Texas State for a degree, but I'm not familiar with the area where the car was found. My initial thought is that maybe he was having mental health issues, and the remote location and the car accident could have been planned. I was surprised that he wasn't located during the search.

Someone mentioned the case of the woman in Garden Ridge in San Antonio, TX who took her own life after returning from a trip around the world. She went for a walk and seemed to disappear, only to be found later in a tree. This reminds me of that case, unfortunately. If he suffered from previous mental health issues, that could explain the lack of information from the family and the police. It's truly heartbreaking.

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry face hurdles as physical search ends

To Note:
•LE acknowledged that decisions made shortly after Landry’s car was found have posed added challenges to the sheriff department’s investigation as detectives try and track Landry’s movements around the time of his December 14 disappearance.
•LE is now focusing on Landry’s digital footprint AND his cell phone
•his cell phone along with additional personal belongings that were not initially processed were given to family early on
•deputies traveled to the Houston to meet with Landry’s relatives and retrieve some items of evidence
•Miller said that Landry’s cell phone is locked, and because of the type of security code he uses, it may take months to unlock it.
•But the sheriff’s sergeant said he expects that cell phone and other relevant data will be retrievable through “blanket subpoenas” to technology companies like Facebook and Google, where Landry’s data is likely stored on the cloud.
•“The only thing we can’t get is data stored only on the phone,” Miller said.
•LE have been contacting or attempting to contact fellow students and anyone they believe may have been in communication with Landry in the days and hours leading up to his disappearance.
•Asked if investigators believe Landry would be found alive, Miller said his department simply does not have enough evidence to form a single working theory about what happened to the young man

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry face hurdles as physical search ends

To Note:
•LE acknowledged that decisions made shortly after Landry’s car was found have posed added challenges to the sheriff department’s investigation as detectives try and track Landry’s movements around the time of his December 14 disappearance.
•LE is now focusing on Landry’s digital footprint AND his cell phone
•his cell phone along with additional personal belongings that were not initially processed were given to family early on
•deputies traveled to the Houston to meet with Landry’s relatives and retrieve some items of evidence
•Miller said that Landry’s cell phone is locked, and because of the type of security code he uses, it may take months to unlock it.
•But the sheriff’s sergeant said he expects that cell phone and other relevant data will be retrievable through “blanket subpoenas” to technology companies like Facebook and Google, where Landry’s data is likely stored on the cloud.
•“The only thing we can’t get is data stored only on the phone,” Miller said.
•LE have been contacting or attempting to contact fellow students and anyone they believe may have been in communication with Landry in the days and hours leading up to his disappearance.
•Asked if investigators believe Landry would be found alive, Miller said his department simply does not have enough evidence to form a single working theory about what happened to the young man
There was an early report that some blood was found in the vehicle. Was this discussed in any more depth or was the quantity significant or the blood his?

I'm suspecting a sub-arachnoid haemorrhage, sudden severe heat spikes are associated.. a search for somewhere cool to lie down afterwards can accompany.
Cold water. I'm wondering whether he turned back and went in an entirely different direction after first walking/stumbling?

Can someone pls explain what they mean by a "Sonar ping" in the nearby body of water?

Sonar uses sound waves to detect anomalies in bodies of water. It sounds like sonar picked up an anomaly the size of a body.

From Wikipedia: Active sonar creates a pulse of sound, often called a "ping", and then listens for reflections ( echo) of the pulse.

It is also noteworthy also that sonar is one of Tim Miller’s & TES’ specialities / some quick reference:
CNN.com - Texas team begins search for teen in Aruba - Jun 25, 2005

“The team searched a wetlands area and also the northern tip of the island near its landmark lighthouse, combing the beaches with the dog. After borrowing a boat, the team installed side-scanning sonar equipment and conducted a water search.

The dogs, considered highly trained, wear booties to protect their paws from cactus needles. At least $25,000 has been contributed for the search so far through the nonprofit group's Web site, Miller said.

The Texas team joined Aruba investigators and the FBI in the widespread, round-the-clock search.“

He has his own special “sonar team”. (source)

Tim Miller can find almost anyone. Can he find his daughter’s killer?
June 12, 2018

“In 2000, Miller founded Texas EquuSearch, a search-and-recovery non-profit which has assisted with hundreds of missing-persons cases and located more than 400 living people and 238 bodies, according to the organization. Miller and his team have searched for missing people, or their remains, in every kind of river, lake, retention pond, bay, bayou and canal, using everything from scuba divers to sonar to tiny robotic boats.

When he isn’t looking underwater, Miller looks under the earth. Once he dug the foundations out from under a house, looking for bodies. He didn’t find any, though he found a suspiciously body-shaped hollow in the earth.“

Old cars in Bayou St. John complicate search for missing teacher's vehicle
March 15, 2013

“The owner of a Texas search company says he's bringing in bigger sonar units on Sunday. EquuSearch is combing area waterways for a missing teacher.

Tim Miller of EquuSearch says the same equipment used in the Natalee Holloway investigation in Aruba will be brought here.”

Now the company is moving its efforts to find Terrilynn Monette to the bridge by Robert E. Lee, looking for any sign of Monette's black Honda.

So many cars are under the waters of the bayou, though, it's making their job trickier.

"We have seen many cars under the water. They are not all in clusters. Some of them are older than others and actually on the sonar machine you can see barnacles growing off of them," said Caitlyn Garey of EquuSearch.”

Last edited:
So does it seem like LE initially figured, when they found the car, that someone had wrecked, called for help, and was picked up by a friend or acquaintance to return to their car later, so initially, did not do too much investigating? Or at the very least, figured the person went walking in search of help, but then when he didn't turn up nearby, now they are thinking "Hmm. Maybe something else happened here?" Is that how everyone is reading the comments from them quoted upthread?

So does it seem like LE initially figured, when they found the car, that someone had wrecked, called for help, and was picked up by a friend or acquaintance to return to their car later, so initially, did not do too much investigating? Or at the very least, figured the person went walking in search of help, but then when he didn't turn up nearby, now they are thinking "Hmm. Maybe something else happened here?" Is that how everyone is reading the comments from them quoted upthread?

Yes, I took it to mean that they didn't realize they were dealing with a missing person for several days, if not the entire week. Had they realized earlier, they would have begun an investigation outside the search area.

He was walking back toward Luling for about a quarter of a mile, but then... the trail disappeared.

More video and interesting comments about the search area:

Thanks for posting. This is so concerning. I’m not sure what to make of the dogs losing his scent. Is it possible someone picked him up?

The most likely scenario is he was disoriented and is now lost. That area is so wooded and desolate, he could be anywhere camouflaged by brush. However, I think the dogs would find him if he was close, but maybe the search should extend further? I feel terrible for his family. I pray he is found soon.

After hearing the area is criss-crossed with creeks, I think that’s the likeliest explanation — he was already disoriented from the accident (and possibly injured), stumbled into one and couldn’t climb back out.

I hope he’s found soon.
I think so too or the different old oil well sites that aren’t capped. That’s so dangerous. My heart breaks for this family.

Yes, they said they’re very used to wrecked/abandoned cars in the area—usually someone not wanting a DUI, then they come get it later. Also, I bet when they found out it was a college student, they thought the same thing and expected him to show up at home. Then he didn’t. :(

Thanks for posting. This is so concerning. I’m not sure what to make of the dogs losing his scent. Is it possible someone picked him up?

The most likely scenario is he was disoriented and is now lost. That area is so wooded and desolate, he could be anywhere camouflaged by brush. However, I think the dogs would find him if he was close, but maybe the search should extend further? I feel terrible for his family. I pray he is found soon.

I was wondering if he walked down the road before or after he walked to a nearby pond? It seems his scent was picked up in two different places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne