TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point in time I think LE should come out and clarify what was actually there to put this to rest because if it was not what the news media portrayed ("filled with narcotics") they need to retract that to prevent harm to Jason's reputation.

Not only for that reason. Also for the reason of highlighting the involved media outlet's lack of credibility.

Spring 2021 classes begin on January 19th.

Was he planning on staying a week or the entire month off?

I doubt he had a month off from work.

My college age relatives always travel with a backpack and a suitcase/duffel bag combo.

Backpack for essentials, laptop, cords, mouse, gaming equipment, chargers and a few toiletries, contacts plus contact cleaner and backup glasses. Maybe a clean shirt and a pair of socks. The rest goes in another bag.

I don’t think the backpack was bulging with clothes. JMO

Not trying to drag this out further... but "if" there were truly narcotics in the backpack, would LE have given that to the father? At this point in time I think LE should come out and clarify what was actually there to put this to rest because if it was not what the news media portrayed ("filled with narcotics") they need to retract that to prevent harm to Jason's reputation. My opinion.

IMO, if there were narcotics in the backpack, as reported by some media outlets, LE would give the backpack to the father minus the narcotics.

I guess it would depend on their investigation if they would have even told the father about them to begin with.

If this was false reporting, that is beyond terrible. If it's true, IMO, it's not the business of the internet, but it is the business of LE and will matter to their investigation. IMO

IMO, if there were narcotics in the backpack, as reported by some media outlets, LE would give the backpack to the father minus the narcotics.

I guess it would depend on their investigation if they would have even told the father about them to begin with.

If this was false reporting, that is beyond terrible. If it's true, IMO, it's not the business of the internet, but it is the business of LE and will matter to their investigation. IMO
“Filled” can mean it had narcotics- as in any. Or it could mean stacked to the brim. But the DPS report was linked in article and in the screengrab I included that said indeed narcotics were in backpack.

TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

“Filled” can mean it had narcotics- as in any. Or it could mean stacked to the brim. But the DPS report was linked in article and in the screengrab I included that said indeed narcotics were in backpack.

TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

We don't even know if the "narcotics" in question were prescription, based upon that report. And we certainly cannot possibly deduce "filled" from that scant description.

Terrible reporting. Stupid, sensationalist BS.

Wow, ok. Thank you for this link. Well that does state the black backpack contained narcotics. It's right there. IMO

It does not state the black backpack was filled with narcotics. The reporting media source took liberty with that description it appears, which I don't like. But narcotics were recovered, that appears to be a fact. What they were, not stated. IMO

Not trying to drag this out further... but "if" there were truly narcotics in the backpack, would LE have given that to the father? At this point in time I think LE should come out and clarify what was actually there to put this to rest because if it was not what the news media portrayed ("filled with narcotics") they need to retract that to prevent harm to Jason's reputation. My opinion.

The media outlet showed the report filled out by DPS that stated narcotics were in the backpack along with other belongings.
IMO the media outlet played on the narcotic part of it by using the headline, “backpack FILLED with narcotics” which I think was wrong of them.
Also in the news video, it was shared the father was unaware of them being in the backpack until that point.
The father’s post was to clarify the backpack was not filled with narcotics, not that there we no narcotics at all.
A family shouldn’t have to deal with stuff like this from media when looking for a missing loved one. JMO

The media outlet showed the report filled out by DPS that stated narcotics were in the backpack along with other belongings.
IMO the media outlet played on the narcotic part of it by using the headline, “backpack FILLED with narcotics” which I think was wrong of them.
Also in the news video, it was shared the father was unaware of them being in the backpack until that point.
The father’s post was to clarify the backpack was not filled with narcotics, not that there we no narcotics at all.
A family shouldn’t have to deal with stuff like this from media when looking for a missing loved one.
JMO

The bolded. I understand why the dad would be upset by that reporting and for issuing, what I felt was a firm statement, to the public and media. IMO

A lot of young men his age prefer backpacks to suitcases, and his backpack must have been decent-sized to hold just the items that his father described. JMO.

It’s also possible that Jason didn’t need to take a bunch of clothes back for the holidays. It was his first semester at this school; he had just been home for Thanksgiving; and he likely left his “well-dressed clothes” at home, where he’d be more likely to have occasion to use them (holidays, weddings, church services, etc.). JMO.

I’m sorry that his father needed to defend his son over exaggerated reporting. I still have qualms about local LE ruling out alcohol/drugs as a factor considering the driver is still missing, but unfortunately, sensationalized reporting like this tends to lead toward less transparency on the part of LE. JMO.
When DPS ruled out alcohol/drugs as a contributing factor, that was not some official ruling; it was merely saying that neither appeared to be the cause based on what they saw and that is reasonable. Opinions can change. In general, absent empty bottles of booze, being in an area with bars, on a night not associated with DWI/DUI, it is reasonable to say alcohol wasn't a known factor. It doesn't really change anything

When "narcotics" isn't clarified it means there was no field test on it and/or it must go to the lab. This is ALMOST ALWAYS a THC based product that has to be tested. The State of Texas has changed the way marijuana is treated based on THC levels. There are literally thousands of quasi-products out there that are borderline. My bet is this was merely a canister of weed or wax used in eCig.

What if Jason was on some type of prescribed medication that has side effects?
Or if not taking it for a few days (maybe during exams?) causes paranoia or some other side effect?
Possible, but as far as what was in the backpack I am having a hard time thinking they would label prescription medication as “narcotics” on their report. I really think they would have put “prescription medication” or “prescription bottle of ———-“ or “unidentified pills” or something specific.

When DPS ruled out alcohol/drugs as a contributing factor, that was not some official ruling; it was merely saying that neither appeared to be the cause based on what they saw and that is reasonable. Opinions can change. In general, absent empty bottles of booze, being in an area with bars, on a night not associated with DWI/DUI, it is reasonable to say alcohol wasn't a known factor. It doesn't really change anything

I respect your opinion but disagree. They had “narcotics” found on the scene. Even over-the-counter drug interactions can result in impaired driving. I don’t see why they would have decisively stated (whether officially or not) that drugs/alcohol were not a factor in this case. JMO.

As referenced upthread, laying aside this specific case, statistics alone would suggest drugs/alcohol being a factor in a single car accident with a 21-year-old male presumed driver that happened late night/early morning. JMO.

I personally believe that drugs/alcohol were not a factor in this accident — but, if representing LE in a public statement, I would defer a response because it simply couldn’t be ruled out based on the facts. JMO.

(and of course we’ve discussed that LE may have been motivated to say this in the hopes that Jason, if hiding due to fear of a DUI, would be encouraged to come forward, which may have been a legit thought process at the time. This also would indicate that the “narcotics” were minimal in nature.)

I respect your opinion but disagree. They had “narcotics” found on the scene. Even over-the-counter drug interactions can result in impaired driving. I don’t see why they would have decisively stated (whether officially or not) that drugs/alcohol were not a factor in this case. JMO.

As referenced upthread, laying aside this specific case, statistics alone would suggest drugs/alcohol being a factor in a single car accident with a 21-year-old male presumed driver that happened late night/early morning. JMO.

I personally believe that drugs/alcohol were not a factor in this accident — but, if representing LE in a public statement, I would defer a response because it simply couldn’t be ruled out based on the facts. JMO.

(and of course we’ve discussed that LE may have been motivated to say this in the hopes that Jason, if hiding due to fear of a DUI, would be encouraged to come forward, which may have been a legit thought process at the time. This also would indicate that the “narcotics” were minimal in nature.)
Law Enforcement/Patrol never plays or manipulates statements "in hopes" of a certain event. The default position is alcohol/drugs are not known to have played a factor. We can certainly disagree on what they should do, but it is factual that law enforcement makes no assumptions on contributing factors of alcohol/drugs unless there is evidence to the contrary. Accidents happen all the time and in fact, I've seen and been professionally aware of accidents where there were hundreds of pounds of weed, coke, kilos of heroin, etc. in the vehicle and drugs were not considered a contributing factor. I think we are making way too much of this. It - in my opinion - is sufficient to say that Jason is at worst an occasional user of weed (Based on social media "LIKES") and nothing else is known about his drug habits. As I can't say enough, I am wrong more than I am right and that may very well be the case here. However, I do have professional experience as it relates to LE and the handling of vehicle accidents.

A family shouldn’t have to deal with stuff like this from media when looking for a missing loved one. JMO

When "narcotics" isn't clarified it means there was no field test on it and/or it must go to the lab. This is ALMOST ALWAYS a THC based product that has to be tested. The State of Texas has changed the way marijuana is treated based on THC levels. There are literally thousands of quasi-products out there that are borderline. My bet is this was merely a canister of weed or wax used in eCig.

For what it's worth, a quick internet search indicates that that the misleading headline insinuating a large quantity of narcotics found in Jason's backpack seems limited to Fox7-Austin news. IMO, when not even the DM repeats your incredulous headline, that's saying something!

As for DPS not identifying the narcotics in the summary shown during the news broadcast, I agree that the information was probably not yet available (no lab test yet) when the notes to the report were written by DPS. I do know that DEA typically uses the term "narcotics" when referring to opioids. However, I have no idea about DPS.

I also recall that Fox7's lead to this story was actually on 12/29/20 by a FB post to tune-in to the news at 5 pm. I did watch the 5 pm broadcast and can say the earlier news is not the same video broadcast that's available today -- i.e., video dated 12/30/20 with the bad headline.

(In the 12/29 broadcast, I recall the reporter basically reading from the report without sensationalizing. I'm pretty sure the reporter said the DPS report was dated 12/14 but it's MOO since the 12/29 video is not available to add here).

MOO

FOX 7 Austin
Backpack filled with narcotics found near missing man's car

Last edited:
I am one that is a believer Jason was using. But, let me be clear, that does not make him a "dealer", "bad kid", or any other label. I just think it increases the risk of an accident or foul play. I have a few reasons as I have mentioned before for my beliefs. One I haven't mentioned is from this video. It is heartbreaking to watch and I completely feel this pain. I just think these words convey so much more. So much is said and unsaid by them. KPRC2 Jacob Rascon on Facebook Watch

I will try to transcribe..some I am unsure of.

"As a parent, you wanna yell at your kid and tell them that they are wrong and I know I have. But, at a time like this none of that matters. All I wanna do is hug my boy. I just tell every parent hug your kids, forgive 'em. We have all made mistakes, we're all sinners in need of God's grace and mercy. As parents, we have the privilege of telling our kids that story, of living that story. God forgave me of all my mistakes, forgive your kids, give 'em a hug, tell 'em you understand.

:(
I am one that is a believer Jason was using. But, let me be clear, that does not make him a "dealer", "bad kid", or any other label. I just think it increases the risk of an accident or foul play. I have a few reasons as I have mentioned before for my beliefs. One I haven't mentioned is from this video. It is heartbreaking to watch and I completely feel this pain. I just think these words convey so much more. So much is said and unsaid by them. KPRC2 Jacob Rascon on Facebook Watch

I will try to transcribe..some I am unsure of.

"As a parent, you wanna yell at your kid and tell them that they are wrong and I know I have. But, at a time like this none of that matters. All I wanna do is hug my boy. I just tell every parent hug your kids, forgive 'em. We have all made mistakes, we're all sinners in need of God's grace and mercy. As parents, we have the privilege of telling our kids that story, of living that story. God forgave me of all my mistakes, forgive your kids, give 'em a hug, tell 'em you understand.
(BBM)

Great post, @diggndeeperstill, and also heartbreaking with his father’s sincerity and grace in the face of tragedy. I wanted to bold the above to emphasize it.

If he had substance abuse issues, well, so do millions of Americans from CEOs to MDs to junior high schoolers. Most need help to stop.

If he was a recreational user, that’s also very common among college students (and the residents of several states!), and I don’t judge him for it. I just hope he wasn’t impaired while driving, and, if he was, it seems he paid way too terrible a price for doing so. It’s still a tragedy.

I still tend to speculate that he had a mood disorder that affected his judgment, but that’s JMO. Unfortunately, mental illness (including mood and emotional disorders) are also too often stigmatized. My personal opinion is that the stigma prevents people from seeking treatment early on. JMO.

That is a lot of stuff in a backpack if you add in clothes that were found in the road? Does that mean the ones in the road could have been what he was wearing?
RSBM

And we know it also had his wallet and some type of narcotics.

Was there a suitcase? Where were more clothes?
If Jason is like my college junior son, he may have transported clothes in a hamper. My son actually uses his hamper like a suitcase. So, it would be quite easy for clothes to get thrown around from an open hamper. My son’s other “suitcase” is his backpack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member