TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has already been asked but I didn't see it. If the first person went by and didn't see his car and then the second person comes along an hour later and sees & notifies police of the accident, how far could he have made it walking in less than an hour? My assumption is that the accident happened a little while after the first person went by the site because I would think he'd have seen/noticed someone behind him? I wonder if the second person was travelling in the direction towards Jason's car and if Jason was walking back towards where he came from, wouldn't they have seen each other? I'm hoping my thoughts are making sense. MOO
You are making sense, absolutely making sense.
He might have been off the road and heading towards the pond at that stage, so missed the vehicle.
And it might have been after the vehicle passed that he started walking the road where the dogs' trails stopped abruptly.
That's the big mystery here.
Why did his trail stop so suddenly?

<modsnip>

Here's an example of details disclosed about the investigation:

"[Sheriff's Sgt. William] Miller said that his department is focusing on Landry’s digital footprint and his cell phone, which was returned to his family, along with additional personal belongings that were not initially processed as evidence by the Texas Department of Public Service or state police. Sheriff’s deputies traveled to the Houston area on Wednesday to meet with Landry’s relatives and retrieve some items of evidence that had been in the missing man’s vehicle. Miller said that Landry’s cell phone is locked, and because of the type of security code he uses, it may take months to unlock it."

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry face hurdles as physical search ends – Crime Online
Detectives investigating the disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry face hurdles as physical search ends

My opinion
Yes, they have given details about what items they found but LE has not yet revealed any specific findings in terms of analysis of cell phone data or DNA test results, which was what was being discussed.

So while they have collected evidence, they have not given any details about processing the items or what their investigation has yielded. As far as I know they do not suspect foul play.

They must at least have the DNA results. Do they have rapid DNA testing in Texas? In some cases they were able to determine a DNA match within 24 hours.

IMO

I'm sure this has already been asked but I didn't see it. If the first person went by and didn't see his car and then the second person comes along an hour later and sees & notifies police of the accident, how far could he have made it walking in less than an hour? My assumption is that the accident happened a little while after the first person went by the site because I would think he'd have seen/noticed someone behind him? I wonder if the second person was travelling in the direction towards Jason's car and if Jason was walking back towards where he came from, wouldn't they have seen each other? I'm hoping my thoughts are making sense. MOO

IMO, some people are very observant of their surroundings, while others are not and could have drove right past the car and didn't notice, but it was there.

RSBM

They must at least have the DNA results. Do they have rapid DNA testing in Texas? In some cases they were able to determine a DNA match within 24 hours.
IMO
The only MSM mention of DNA testing I can find is a story from Dec. 18 that says "Investigators will also take DNA from the car and gather any other evidence."
Missouri City church provides update on search for missing Texas State student

It doesn't specify which investigators or when they will do this. Maybe DPS? I think to match DNA they would also need a sample from one of JL's relatives. That report was more than 2 weeks ago so it's plausible they could have results by now.

The only MSM mention of DNA testing I can find is a story from Dec. 18 that says "Investigators will also take DNA from the car and gather any other evidence."

It doesn't specify which investigators or when they will do this. Maybe DPS? I think to match DNA they would also need a sample from one of JL's relatives. That report was more than 2 weeks ago so it's plausible they could have results by now.
There is an earlier report too, think it was 15th or 17th, Daily Mail.
And there is a post early in the first thread ,might have been @Marg? with a link and I posted it more recently , it was part of something else we were discussing.
But they all stated definitively that DNA testing was to be done on the vehicle. They must have what they need by now , if the status of the investigation was changed they would have announced it, I reckon.

Here is a statement from Jason's dad
Southminster Presbyterian Church Missouri City, Texas
tSponlsor5shedc ·

A message from Kent:
"It has come to my attention that some media sources are claiming that Jason's backpack that was found at the scene was "filled with narcotics". I believe that nothing could be farther from the truth. And more to the point, nothing could be more hurtful to Jason or his character. Jason was a typical college student who was coming home to see friends and family. And we're still waiting for him to come home after 23 days.
I have been given Jason's backpack and I can tell you what it was filled with: his laptop, contacts, some of his toiletries, and all of his Playstation gaming gear. You see, Jason had already made plans to meet with his friends online and play some games together over the break. Jason's backpack had those personal items and his Playstation, controllers, headset, and accessories.
So please don't believe the media when they try to sensationalize what is a tragedy in order to get you to click on their site and read their articles. Do something that's actually useful - hope and pray for our son, who is still missing. Care for your own family and count your blessings. If you don't know how or what to pray for, I invite you to join me in my daily prayer from Proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.""

tSponlsor5shedc ·

A message from Kent:
"It has come to my attention that some media sources are claiming that Jason's backpack that was found at the scene was "filled with narcotics". I believe that nothing could be farther from the truth. And more to the point, nothing could be more hurtful to Jason or his character. Jason was a typical college student who was coming home to see friends and family. And we're still waiting for him to come home after 23 days.
I have been given Jason's backpack and I can tell you what it was filled with: his laptop, contacts, some of his toiletries, and all of his Playstation gaming gear. You see, Jason had already made plans to meet with his friends online and play some games together over the break. Jason's backpack had those personal items and his Playstation, controllers, headset, and accessories.
So please don't believe the media when they try to sensationalize what is a tragedy in order to get you to click on their site and read their articles. Do something that's actually useful - hope and pray for our son, who is still missing. Care for your own family and count your blessings. If you don't know how or what to pray for, I invite you to join me in my daily prayer from Proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.""

Classy and heartfelt.

JMO

I believe the MSM quote about testing DNA was specifically from the FB post that Houston 2 news also linked with the news article. More important is that neither the news or the FB post cite LE as the source.

The FB post, dated 12/18 at 1:24 PM, is by the church where Jason's dad is the pastor. The post appears to be on behalf of the Pastor/dad. The post never cites the LE or an official source and appears to be the author's opinion from the best they can understand.

[...] They will also take DNA from the car and gather any other evidence they can. This will then be turned into a nation-wide missing person case from the best we can understand. Others who do criminal investigation will be brought in to try to determine what happened and where he is.
- The family is on the way back to the Houston area and should arrive this evening. Please remember to give the family their privacy and space if you are local.
- Kent said that as long as there is breath in his lungs and air in his son's lungs, then there is still hope. His prayer is that Jason is home for Christmas.

tSponlsor5shedc ·

A message from Kent:

“You see, Jason had already made plans to meet with his friends online and play some games together over the break. “

He was meeting up with his online friends?

Or was he planning on playing online with friends? (Which can be done anywhere there is WiFi)

Laptop and his gaming stuff.

“You see, Jason had already made plans to meet with his friends online and play some games together over the break. “

He was meeting up with his online friends?

Or was he planning on playing online with friends? (Which can be done anywhere there is WiFi)

Laptop and his gaming stuff.
I don't know whether they did competitive gaming?
We have followed compétitive gamers here before.
I don't know whether they were meeting online for tournaments or something?
Cos that's what they enjoy... they wouldn't really need to be meeting up in person because they'd be all playing games on their phones at the same time.
We tracked Brendt Christensen, absolutely everywhere, he was a perp.
We just went after every single thing, every word he'd ever written, every painting he had ever liked, every book he'd read, you name it, we went for it and we got loads. \but he was the perp.
We didn't get what we wanted most though- Ying Ying's body returned to her broken family.

tSponlsor5shedc ·

A message from Kent:

This clears it up for me about “believed to be driving home”. They knew he was coming and knew he had plans to play games with friends so it’s reasonable to assume that he was on his way home even if he didn’t explicitly say I’m on the way now.

This clears it up for me about “believed to be driving home”. They knew he was coming and knew he had plans to play games with friends so it’s reasonable to assume that he was on his way home even if he didn’t explicitly say I’m on the way now.
I reckon they knew he was coming and they were chill about whatever time he'd roll in. That's the vibe I get ...

I know there have been some posts about a lack of JL friends coming forward. I did see a post on another forum from a person who states they've known JL since they were young and are actually neighbors in San Marcos and they may have been one of the last people to see him. The person indicates they have spoken to LE and investigators and ask everyone to be considerate of the family and friends and not to speculate or spread misinformation.

That is a lot of stuff in a backpack if you add in clothes that were found in the road? Does that mean the ones in the road could have been what he was wearing?
RSBM
tSponlsor5shedc ·

A message from Kent:
"I have been given Jason's backpack and I can tell you what it was filled with: his laptop, contacts, some of his toiletries, and all of his Playstation gaming gear.
Jason's backpack had those personal items and his Playstation, controllers, headset, and accessories.
And we know it also had his wallet and some type of narcotics.

Was there a suitcase? Where were more clothes?

That is a lot of stuff in a backpack if you add in clothes that were found in the road? Does that mean the ones in the road could have been what he was wearing?
RSBM

And we know it also had his wallet and some type of narcotics.

Was there a suitcase? Where were more clothes?
No idea.
It was not addressed in this statement.
Nice sized car, 1 person, 1 backpack, could be anywhere, back seat, floor , front passenger site trunk....?

tSponlsor5shedc ·

A message from Kent:

Good for dad! I have found so much respect for that man. And you know what, even if it was true, I don’t care. This young man is missing and needs to be found for his family. I can’t imagine how hurtful these accusations are to the family and would be to Jason. Sadly, sensational reporting (I realize the police report states narcotics but media quickly blew it out of proportion) on such things can quickly lead people to not care because “he was a druggy and something went bad”. Shame on the media.

Also, hopefully the contents in the backpack can put our question of whether or not he was actually headed home or not to rest. It appears by the contents and setting up gaming arrangements with friends that he had every intention of making it home that night. MOO

A lot of young men his age prefer backpacks to suitcases, and his backpack must have been decent-sized to hold just the items that his father described. JMO.

It’s also possible that Jason didn’t need to take a bunch of clothes back for the holidays. It was his first semester at this school; he had just been home for Thanksgiving; and he likely left his “well-dressed clothes” at home, where he’d be more likely to have occasion to use them (holidays, weddings, church services, etc.). JMO.

I’m sorry that his father needed to defend his son over exaggerated reporting. I still have qualms about local LE ruling out alcohol/drugs as a factor considering the driver is still missing, but unfortunately, sensationalized reporting like this tends to lead toward less transparency on the part of LE. JMO.

A lot of young men his age prefer backpacks to suitcases, and his backpack must have been decent-sized to hold just the items that his father described. JMO.

It’s also possible that Jason didn’t need to take a bunch of clothes back for the holidays. It was his first semester at this school; he had just been home for Thanksgiving; and he likely left his “well-dressed clothes” at home, where he’d be more likely to have occasion to use them (holidays, weddings, church services, etc.). JMO.

I’m sorry that his father needed to defend his son over exaggerated reporting. I still have qualms about local LE ruling out alcohol/drugs as a factor considering the driver is still missing, but unfortunately, sensationalized reporting like this tends to lead toward less transparency on the part of LE. JMO.
I don't think a suitcase or bag or two of dirty clothes wasn't also in the car. JL's father seemed to be specifically addressing only the backpack and its contents in response to MSM's over-exuberant reporting of it.

Not trying to drag this out further... but "if" there were truly narcotics in the backpack, would LE have given that to the father? At this point in time I think LE should come out and clarify what was actually there to put this to rest because if it was not what the news media portrayed ("filled with narcotics") they need to retract that to prevent harm to Jason's reputation. My opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3