TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about this as well. We know that the truck that called 911 was coming in from work (from something oil related, but I can't recall where exactly). So was he the only employee leaving that night? No one else was out there before him?
IIRC an oilfield hand passed by the location where JL's wrecked car would be found within an hours time by a VFD returning from a call out. There was no sign of JL, his car nor any wreckage.

I've been thinking about this as well. We know that the truck that called 911 was coming in from work (from something oil related, but I can't recall where exactly). So was he the only employee leaving that night? No one else was out there before him?
IIRC an oilfield hand passed by the location where JL's wrecked car would be found within an hours time by a VFD returning from a call out. There was no sign of JL, his car nor any wreckage.

I believe the person who called 911 was the first responder (firefighter or whatever) that was coming in from a call. An oil field worker who drove down the road about an hour earlier said he didn’t see a wrecked vehicle.

BBM Question for anyone that would be familiar: To me, the report about the oil field worker comes across as he was heading to or from his job. Otherwise I would think there would be no need to mention that detail. Is it typical for oil field workers to be working late at night?

I do your POV though. I've had thoughts surrounding the 2 bypassers myself. Was the oilfield hand driving this same route he has been daily going to & from work? IMO yes. I don't have any reason to doubt the VFD man's reasoning at all. That hasn't stopped me from wishing more information could be shared. We have 2 different websites in my area of TX that gives details ( 15 mins behind for LEO & EMT safety ) of what is happening in our 911 systems. Is there such a site for Luling area? Can we learn what the tone out involved? Location? Status of the callers situation at the end? Finally, was the volunteer heading to VFD station to complete his paperwork for the emergency he just handled? Or was he scooting home down SFR ready to get back indoors, in bed on that wet and very cold early morning? MOO

I
BBM Question for anyone that would be familiar: To me, the report about the oil field worker comes across as he was heading to or from his job. Otherwise I would think there would be no need to mention that detail. Is it typical for oil field workers to be working late at night?
IMO yes! Oilfield jobs in N Texas are usually run by two crews. Example only but your day crew works 7a-7p & is relieved by the night hands from 7p-7a rotating days off 7 days a week.

But even if he weren’t using GPS don’t you think he would have noticed that he was going down a one lane road for 5 miles or so or maybe not?

Oh yes, I think he would have known. I've passed through that intersection where he missed his turn a bunch of times, and I can understand missing it, but there was a good chunk of time after the intersection during which he should have realized his mistake. Especially once he's on the gravel road. It sounds like he had a few places to turn around on SFR as well. But I do still think it was an honest if not somewhat impaired mistake that took him out that way.
I think he succumbed to a concussion or hypothermia and that he'll be found in the original search area.

Going down a dark deserted road would be the last thing I'd think anyone would do. You want to be in as well lit of an area as you can, with as many people around as possible. Even if there's not a lot of folks on the main highway at that hour, going down a dark graveled side street isn't in your best interest to do. All MOO, of course.

Just to play Devil’s advocate.... staying on a main road rather than going onto a side-street is the logical thing to do. But that doesn’t necessarily mean he would do the logical thing.

OT for context. I remember a couple years ago, I was in the car with my mum - she was driving. She, then I too, got paranoid we were being followed or some kind of road-rage thing (even though she hadn’t done anything wrong). We had a Range Rover behind us, we were in a small car, and the Range Rover was tailgating us, as well as appearing to keep flashing their lights. (When we got home we did check the car, all was fine). We decided that we would turn off the main road (in the hope that it was a driver just driving very aggressively and wanting to break the speed limit)...

Everything turned out fine. Looking back I can see how leaving the main road could have made matters so much worse, but in the moment it made sense - probably because we were freaked out?
Maybe Jason was in a similar situation and not thinking completely straight. I don’t think that this is the most likely theory (at this point I don’t know what is) but I thought it was worth sharing my experience. JMO.

Where was the oilfield location?

Last edited:
Very typical. You have gaugers, security, repair techs, measurement techs, lots of oil field workers stay at the job site all night. Also, if there was anything suspicious about the worker's report, it can easily be verified. Most of them have all sorts of electronic footprints that show their location, when they checked in/out, etc.

I feel about 99% sure that no one came across Jason and hurt him...but I only hope he is found one day soon.
I don’t think anyone hurt him either. It’s so frustrating because I feel he’s GOT to be out there in the general vicinity. There are other bodies of water, and I wish they could check them all—even a little further out than they would expect. I know they can’t. I hope at least landowners and oil field workers have all been told to look out for him. I think that’s how he’ll eventually be found.

I think the fact that the backpack was left in the road, cell phone locked in car point to a sneaky head injury like we do see from time to time. And IMO probably impairment since he was so far off course and as we know some sort of drugs were left behind in backpack. I don’t think he would have left any of those things if he were okay, and I also think it’s unlikely someone who hurt him intentionally or not would remove him from such a remote scene and they also wouldn’t leave all his stuff in the road. The only way I can make sense of all that was left behind is if he wandered off and succumbed to injuries OR less likely self harm.

Self harm is still on my list b/c the wreck at least appeared survivable and I can think of a lot of pressures he could have been facing. It’s a tough age.

I would be curious to know what type of gaming JL was involved in and if it involved racing, iRacing, etc.
I would also be interested to know if he had an interest in the hugely popular street racing.
I would not rule out "Drifting" by the driver of the wrecked car. Here's a demo and explanation of "drifting"

I would be curious to know what type of gaming JL was involved in and if it involved racing, iRacing, etc.
I would also be interested to know if he had an interest in the hugely popular street racing.
I would not rule out "Drifting" by the driver of the wrecked car. Here's a demo and explanation of "drifting"

This makes me curious about his gaming interests too! I hadn’t thought of that.

Far fetched and only my thoughts. What if someone hurt him before he even left for his destination home. Like a car jacking...thinking maybe the car or something inside was valuable. This person decided to ditch the car. It might explain why police stated in one of the articles that said this person walked away from the scene. And i swore it also said they are looking in other directions. I hope they find him soon.

Just to play Devil’s advocate.... staying on a main road rather than going onto a side-street is the logical thing to do. But that doesn’t necessarily mean he would do the logical thing.

<snip> Looking back I can see how leaving the main road could have made matters so much worse, but in the moment it made sense - probably because we were freaked out?/QUOTE]

That totally makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist