TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is LE asking for information for the whole 67 minutes because they know the engine block was cool to the touch when they arrived, indicating the accident occurred closer to the 11:30 time? Or hot, indicating it just happened?
Does LE know that there were additional Snapchats sent after the intersection and to someone who came and picked him up. There is a 67 minute window and it is only a 30 minute trip down from San Marcos. MOO MOO
I'm not a Snapchat user so please pardon my ignorance. I thought one of the key features of this app is that messages and videos disappear after a short time, like 24 hours. Since LE didn't investigate the phone right away (I think they initially gave it to JL's father) wouldn't any messages and message history be long expired? So, in other words, they could tell Snapchat was used but they couldn't discern any details.

Further, it seems Snapchat also has, or had, a Snap Map feature showing location. Is there any way to tell if this was used? Does its history expire similar to messages?

I find it hard to believe anyone driving down that road in the dark, with headlights on, wouldn't see clothes in the road. This is a point I've wondered about a fair amount now. It just seems odd to me. You'd think the headlights would pick up anything, especially something not normally on a gravel road (clothing, etc.). I've got to be missing something.

So that makes me wonder if the clothes weren't there when the deputies arrived. I would have thought they'd have seen them. That skews the timeline but why didn't they see something that was suppose to be there?
I don't see that as really odd. Seeing discarded clothing along a country road isn't that unusual and since it was 900 feet away from the car they might not have connected those with the accident. Although, the backpack was nearby and they did make the connection with it.... I can believe they just didn't make the leap of logic that JL would discard all his clothes at that point. As they indicated, they weren't thinking it was a missing person case initially.

Slightly off topic: I used to have a coworker who wore a different shirt to work on what he called "Roadkill Fridays". They were all shirts he found on the road near his beach house. He had a seemingly endless supply and some were really quite nice ones.

I'm not a Snapchat user so please pardon my ignorance. I thought one of the key features of this app is that messages and videos disappear after a short time, like 24 hours. Since LE didn't investigate the phone right away (I think they initially gave it to JL's father) wouldn't any messages and message history be long expired? So, in other words, they could tell Snapchat was used but they couldn't discern any details.

Further, it seems Snapchat also has, or had, a Snap Map feature showing location. Is there any way to tell if this was used? Does its history expire similar to messages?

The bolded piece of above - is exactly how i take it. I think thats what LE is waiting on snapchat to provide after giving them a warrant, its deleted on the phone but not on their servers i'd imagine (atleast not for soem arbitraty time like 6/12 months).

I don't believe there'd be a way to tell if the Snap Map was used, it pretty much is just in real-time you look at it, you close it, thats that. Its very similar to Apples find my friends app.

I agree. Makes me start wondering if maybe Jason hid from LE that night, due to whatever he smoked. Maybe he was panicking, and scared of getting caught with drugs. It's hard to imagine how those clothes were missed in the middle of the road. Maybe he had his backpack on him, and came back to the spot after LE cleared out. But then what happened?

Also, Waze can be used as a police detector. Could that be why he was using Waze, since surely he knew how to get home to his parents from college?
LE didn't arrive until 1.30am.
I have feeling he was long gone from the scene by then.
I think he was even gone by the time the fire guy found his vehicle.

Our local on here pointed out that LE could have been coming to the scene from the north (Lockhart) and so did not pass the clothes in the road on the way. I agree it’s surprising they didn’t see them further down from the backpack and fish, but it was very dark and perhaps they just didn’t look past the scene.
I remember that. He also stated that people were constantly dumping rubbish on those roads

I think it's quite possible if not likely that the other part to the snapchat convo has already come forward.
Facebook is usually very slow to submit content for warrants.

Recipient likely came forward and that's how they knew.

I find it hard to believe anyone driving down that road in the dark, with headlights on, wouldn't see clothes in the road. This is a point I've wondered about a fair amount now. It just seems odd to me. You'd think the headlights would pick up anything, especially something not normally on a gravel road (clothing, etc.). I've got to be missing something.

So that makes me wonder if the clothes weren't there when the deputies arrived. I would have thought they'd have seen them. That skews the timeline but why didn't they see something that was suppose to be there?

The clothes are nudging at my brain as well. The explanation that the firefighters would have come from the north makes sense. But what is getting at me is the shirt and shorts look clean albeit wrinkled but not dusty from being in the road...hmmm! So not one other car drove around or over those clothes until the dad found them?!?

The bolded piece of above - is exactly how i take it. I think thats what LE is waiting on snapchat to provide after giving them a warrant, its deleted on the phone but not on their servers i'd imagine (atleast not for soem arbitraty time like 6/12 months).

I don't believe there'd be a way to tell if the Snap Map was used, it pretty much is just in real-time you look at it, you close it, thats that. Its very similar to Apples find my friends app.
To be clear, and this is somewhat confusing. There is no indication LE has been able to access his actual phone and in fact, they may never be able to. This is much much more difficult than most realize because the phone has individual passwords and the phone manufacturers have no way to bypass it. It appears from the context of the LE press release they are getting information from the phone and social media companies.

The clothes are nudging at my brain as well. The explanation that the firefighters would have come from the north makes sense. But what is getting at me is the shirt and shorts look clean albeit wrinkled but not dusty from being in the road...hmmm! So not one other car drove around or over those clothes until the dad found them?!?
Everyone is really hung up on this and at the risk of being too close minded, I don't think clothes in the road - out in the country like that - is that out of the ordinary. I think those that drove over the clothes - if they even saw them - would assume it is just garbage. I dunno...that's my view.

I wonder why they focused on the 67 minutes of "digital footprint" rather than "cellphone pings". I mean, normally you would want people to NOT have a digital footprint while driving. Just in this case he never went back to using Waze which is HUGELY significant in my opinion. But, so are the cellphone pings.....and my bet is that those are coming...and if Jason was anywhere other than where we know right now it will be known soon. The question is why not tell us about pings?

I also didn’t notice any holes from barbed wire to cause the blood stain. Was it there? And why would he even have encountered the barbed wire? His car wasn’t on the other side of it?

While I’m asking questions, what had to be blurred out in this image? Caldwell County Sheriff's Office
View attachment 282503

And for timeline:
From this article- and this article

Search continues for missing Texas State student

Dec.13, 11:24 p.m. - Landry entered the City of Luling on Highway. 80. He quit using the Waze app and started using Snapchat. On East Austin Street, his digital footprint stops.

11:30 or so oil field worker does not see vehicle

12:30 car spotted by volunteer firefighter
Dec. 14, 12:31 a.m. - Landry’s wrecked vehicle was found abandoned in the 2300 block of Salt Flat Road.

My questions- were police on site until 2 am when parents were called? When was car towed? Why was it not left standard 24 hours? Or do they not do that there? In my area they tag your vehicle you have 24 hours to come and get it and then they tow. When exactly did searches begin? We know it’s possible the dogs scent was altered based on the trooper and deputy searching the house. When was that exactly? What made them do that? Was it after the 2 am call? They said in articles they thought it was a dui and someone would come back for car.

And... I really want to know what this volunteer fire call was about. Not that I suspect the fireman at all, but as we all know, sometimes these things are related. Fires, overdoses, assaults, etc.
Missing Texas State student Jason Landry’s abandoned car did not cause immediate concern; police work to overcome early investigative delays
map from two points- 9 minutes drive.
Google Maps
A vehicle in the roadway is to be towed immediately under Texas Transportation Code.

Makes me start wondering if maybe Jason hid from LE that night, due to whatever he smoked. Maybe he was panicking, and scared of getting caught with drugs.

Also the fact he was butt naked. If he was high, but had come down when LE arrived, perhaps he hid as his nakedness, in the middle of the night on a gravel road would be a tad hard to explain.

It was not a well travelled road.

Everyone is really hung up on this and at the risk of being too close minded, I don't think clothes in the road - out in the country like that - is that out of the ordinary. I think those that drove over the clothes - if they even saw them - would assume it is just garbage. I dunno...that's my view.

From the Caldwell County Sheriff's statement:
Upon a review of the Troopers body and dash cameras from his initial response to the crash scene, investigators know that approximately 900 feet from the collision scene, the following articles, belonging to Jason, were discovered in the roadway; a backpack, a ball cap, a plastic bag of personal toiletries, and a tumbler with his deceased beta fish in it. These findings were north of the clothing, recovered the next morning by Jason’s father. Jason’s backpack contained his wallet, a usable amount of marijuana, a laptop computer, gaming equipment, and a few personal effects.
So it seems that they saw the clothes but didn't relate them to the car at that point in time. But I still don't get why they wouldn't be dusty from laying in the road...I grew up on a farm and we had gravel roads...very dusty!! Could be barking up the wrong tree obviously at this point it's all conjecture.

Also, it's going to be interesting once everything comes to light about what happened. I'll relate a story that happened to my son yesterday...he was woken up by loud banging on his door from a police officer that wanted to know if he heard anything from the girl that lived in the apt above him. She had been found stabbed to death! My son heard loud bangs but didn't associate it with anyone being in need of help. Reading comments online is eye opening when people don't know the full extent of what actually happened! Turns out her ex stabbed her multiple times, called in a welfare check, and then he committed suicide at a different location. Very very tragic sad situation.

Our local on here pointed out that LE could have been coming to the scene from the north (Lockhart) and so did not pass the clothes in the road on the way. I agree it’s surprising they didn’t see them further down from the backpack and fish, but it was very dark and perhaps they just didn’t look past the scene.

It looks to me like someone was driving down the road and threw the backpack and clothes out. I know this doesn't fit the theory out there but would make sense why stuff is strewn on the road. Just a thought.

But which ones went to the house and searched it and when? and where was the house located from where they were standing and the clothes? (I am just asking questions out loud)

But which ones went to the house and searched it and when? and where was the house located from where they were standing and the clothes? (I am just asking questions out loud)
I'm unable to figure out the geographics or even to guess at them or the schedule of checks or when they wre carried out, that same night, or the next day after Jason's dad located his clothes and backpack?
And I've looked at the maps and done my best but still stumped.
I wanted badly to know the location of the lake they dredged in relation to the location of his gear.. no joy.

Local poster also stated there's often a variety of personal items on the road that get tossed or fall out of open pick-up trucks. The clothes didn't stick out to DPS in the middle of the night. They were only investigating an abandoned, wrecked vehicle at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState