TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree too. The more I think about it, the less reasonable it sounds that he lost his phone under the seat at the intersection. He would have wanted his phone for using Waze later on his trip even if just for seeing speed traps and work zone / traffic jam warnings. It makes little sense to go several miles down a gravel road before looking for it. So I'm thinking it went under the seat at the accident on SFR, not before.
It was between the seat and the console, described by his dad as a very awkward place.
If he had lost it at that junction, where he switched to Waze, couldn't find it immediately, couldn't stop to search for it in that location or did stop earlier in the SLR and still couldn't find it... there was 67 minutes unaccounted for allegedly.
Maybe that time was spent searching fr his phone, somewhere. Somewhere he considered safe to pull in to conduct his unsuccessful search, either before or after he went straight instead of right.

Against that is the fact that his co-respondent has never come forward. And nobody knows who it is.

It was between the seat and the console, described by his dad as a very awkward place.
If he had lost it at that junction, where he switched to Waze, couldn't find it immediately, couldn't stop to search for it in that location or did stop earlier in the SLR and still couldn't find it... there was 67 minutes unaccounted for allegedly.
Maybe that time was spent searching fr his phone, somewhere. Somewhere he considered safe to pull in to conduct his unsuccessful search, either before or after he went straight instead of right.

Against that is the fact that his co-respondent has never come forward. And nobody knows who it is.

KL mentioned the park that is located right past that intersection, on the left. I thought that was interesting.

I don't know about TX but where I live the trooper typically writes up the report, tags the vehicle, and leaves. The tag is what draws the tow truck driver's attention.

It doesn't follow that the tow driver would remove the vehicle before the DPS would arrive and make their DPS abandoned vehicle & inventory report (that we saw earlier).
That is what happens in my area too. But I think that tag is for 48 hours. And there was no tag on the back window of Jason's car. I can't tell you how many single wrecked cars I see after a snow or ice storm with "tags" that are never towed immediately. And, I can't tell you how many Texas small towns I have driven through with well-known speed traps that literally serve as a huge source of income for the town. Just seems really rash to me to tow immediately. But, I have worn out this topic.

IMO considering Jason was not in the right state of mind (removing all of his clothing), I wonder if he was experiencing incoherent thoughts & paranoia which cause him to "hole up" in a spot nearby where he could've hidden while LE was at the scene. Maybe he succumbed to the cold while riding it out. I think he is still out there, not very far away.

Someone had pictures of the abandoned homes nearby recently. I will have to look at them carefully. Did they have chimneys? Crawl spaces? Basements? Sheds? IMO small, dark spaces to hide.
They searched with drones, horses, dogs, men, helicopters, fixed wing aircraft for days with some of the best, Texas Equusearch.

IMO considering Jason was not in the right state of mind (removing all of his clothing), I wonder if he was experiencing incoherent thoughts & paranoia which cause him to "hole up" in a spot nearby where he could've hidden while LE was at the scene. Maybe he succumbed to the cold while riding it out. I think he is still out there, not very far away.
I still think this is most likely! I do think there are enough unknowns that it’s important for LE to thoroughly investigate what happened leading up to his wreck to make sure something totally different didn’t happen.

That is what happens in my area too. But I think that tag is for 48 hours. And there was no tag on the back window of Jason's car. I can't tell you how many single wrecked cars I see after a snow or ice storm with "tags" that are never towed immediately. And, I can't tell you how many Texas small towns I have driven through with well-known speed traps that literally serve as a huge source of income for the town. Just seems really rash to me to tow immediately. But, I have worn out this topic.
You ave not worn it out at all.
What do these tags look like?
I've not seen one.

Even if he became coherent as he saw headlights approaching... just the fact he was nude at that point would cause me to run and hide. I too have thought about the fact he burrowed in somewhere and was missed during the search

But something keeps coming back to me and that's the fact his scent abruptly vanished at one point. Not being a scent dog expert my uneducated guess is that he was picked up at that spot.

:confused::confused:
One other possible explaination for the dropped phone is that perhaps there was a car behind him at the intersection. If the light turned green while he was using Snapchat and the car behind him honked to get him moving, it’s plausible he dropped his phone then but still felt he had to start driving to appease that person. That person could have gone right towards the highway at that point. All quite innocent, but would have set Jason off on the wrong track. MOO, just running scenarios in my head.
Yes, but wouldn’t he have pulled over at some point to look for his phone? There was a park near there where he could have pulled over or anywhere? Why would he drive 5 miles down a dirt/gravel road without looking for his phone...I mean it’s possible but just doesn’t make sense.....

Yes, but wouldn’t he have pulled over at some point to look for his phone? There was a park near there where he could have pulled over or anywhere? Why would he drive 5 miles down a dirt/gravel road without looking for his phone...I mean it’s possible but just doesn’t make sense.....
The gravel road would make sense if after spending over an hour searching for it, he still could not find it and was in a state of total frustration if not despair. His dad said he'd follow the Waze app straight into a wall!
And it wasn't like he could call his folks and ask them to track it for him...

I went to go educate myself on dog tracking and found out there is tracking and trailing. One (usually?) has the handler pulling the dogs nose back on the trail. The other allowing the dog to sniff wherever it wants. For instance, if someone being tracked went east, circled around, but was now west of you... the dog can smell their scent off the wind so it seems to me like it's best to let the dog sniff where it wants, and not just force its nose onto the path.

It also says that it's easier to track on soft surfaces versus paved. We all know that the area Jason's car was found wasn't paved, it was all soft ground so this is supposed to be easier for the dog. Also this is out in the country, not in the middle of NYC where numerous scents could make tracking more difficult. Which makes me question this again... why did the track abruptly stop? Especially since it seems like it was one of the better surfaces to track. I wonder what method was used? Using the lead to force the dogs nose onto the path the human (who can't smell as well as a dog) thinks the dog needs to stay focused on? What if the dog is thinking... 'Tracker dude... I smell him over there. Quit yanking my dang nose down! I'm ONTO something here and it's no longer strongest right under my nose!'.

And yes, the tracking people are experts in this matter, but the article raises a really good point....

If the dog's nose strayed from the prescribed height above the track, his nose was promptly forced back into it without anyone ever examining the reasons for the behavioral change. It was automatically presumed that the dog was outside of odor. Many people believe that the dog must be within inches of the track to actually smell the odor. I believe that perception comes from our own scent-limited world and false rationalization. Nothing could be further from the truth, and simple tests have proven time and again that most dogs can detect odor from a fixed location and at a variety of distances — from inches to yards and more. Consider this question: if it is proven that a dog can detect odor from either ground disturbance or from the human that created it, and from more than mere inches of the physical track, why must a dog's nose be forced into said track?

Makes me more curious about how the tracking was done, and how exactly the handlers handled the dogs. Only one way to know and that would have been to witness it yourself.

Complete (and very interesting) article below. It's from a Police K-9 training site.

Trailing versus tracking: The keys to success

They searched with drones, horses, dogs, men, helicopters, fixed wing aircraft for days with some of the best, Texas Equusearch.

I'll add another search used as per Jason's father in the video interview.... He said he's talked to all the landowners who know their property like the back of their hand. They'd know good hiding spots, ruts to avoid so you're not twisting your ankle, everything. They've checked their properties as well and didn't find anything.

Which again leads me back to... why did his scent abruptly disappear? I'm torn between he burrowed in somewhere and just not found, and the fact I'd think and abruptly ending track, on a road, means that's where he might have been picked up. And I'm a firm believer that just because you don't know all the answers, doesn't mean something can't be true. IOW... you don't have to know the why and how for something to have actually happened.

Maybe he turned off Waze and contacted someone by Snapchat and that person was waiting across the intersection and that person followed him up Salt Flat and they together staged the scene complete with the distribution of clothing and backpack etc. Then that friend picked him up and they left together.

Since they don’t have access to his phone, they probably do not have that info. I would think Waze would be one of the apps they’re trying to gets warrants for? It would tell so much!
Is Waze still owned by Google?
I found an example of a search warrant for Waze from FBI but I don't know if I can post it or not because its marked sealed and there exists the possibility it was unsealed in error and not meant to see the light of day and it's only 2018.
I found another link though
https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr...legally-using-google-location-data-catch-him/

I was searching for a more friendly timeline for compliance than the one presented to Jason's dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste