TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience w/ Waze- i discovered on an 8 hour ride, allows you to click little profile photos of the other drivers using the app near you (along with their photo if they've uploaded one & if they are logged in and on; it may even show their location if they aren't moving, not positive on that one detail). If you haven't used it, try it out on a busy road- it is kinda wild.
Also, waze gave me fits trying to do other things from my phone, like call out, or use another app. I almost had a wreck trying to make it stop lol It would just keep going on and on even when I thought I'd silenced it. It can be far less reliable in areas that waze is not popular. It got me lost in 1/4 mile radius. It was a stupid lost. I knew where it should take me, but it took me in a circle. It is Infuriating driving in circles around your destination . I wont use that app. I was trying it out for business reasons. Some ppl prefer waze, however. Just a little detail of my experience with tht app if you're curious what he was working with around the time of the accident & havent used it.

edit to add: I blv he may have been meeting someone. What happend before & after the accident or whether it involved others i dont have a clue.

Last edited:
well, part of investigating an accident is to have a good look around.
If they had looked they would have found them and found his watch...
Was his vehicle already towed away by the time the trooper arrived at 1,30AM?
I don't know about TX but where I live the trooper typically writes up the report, tags the vehicle, and leaves. The tag is what draws the tow truck driver's attention.

It doesn't follow that the tow driver would remove the vehicle before the DPS would arrive and make their DPS abandoned vehicle & inventory report (that we saw earlier).

Since they don’t have access to his phone, they probably do not have that info. I would think Waze would be one of the apps they’re trying to gets warrants for? It would tell so much!
Waze keeps a list of previous and often used destinations so you don't have to keep re-entering addresses . It would be interesting and informative for LE and family to see where he had been over the last couple of months since his dad said he would always use Waze.

But my guess it was programmed for the intersection where he then turned it off and opened SnapChat. Possibly for further directions by whomever it is he was Snapchatting with (used SnapMap at that point). He might have been told to go there and then do that for reasons unknown to us at this time.

It’s just as likely he was heading home, though. Any directions from “San Marcos, TX” to “Missouri, TX” take you right through that intersection, you can try it yourself.

I don't know about TX but where I live the trooper typically writes up the report, tags the vehicle, and leaves. The tag is what draws the tow truck driver's attention.

It doesn't follow that the tow driver would remove the vehicle before the DPS would arrive and make their DPS abandoned vehicle & inventory report (that we saw earlier).
that is what one would expect to happen..
I just do not know if it did or not on this occasion.

It’s just as likely he was heading home, though. Any directions from “San Marcos, TX” to “Missouri, TX” take you right through that intersection, you can try it yourself.
Do you mean that it would take you straight on at the flashing traffic lights, the road he actually took as opposed to doing the correct thing and turning right?
The sign was very small indeed as his dad pointed out in his long interview.

<snip>I blv he may have been meeting someone. What happend before & after the accident or whether it involved others i dont have a clue.

I am in total agreement here. I also believe it has something to do with who he Snapchatted with after Waze took him to the intersection where he switched aps. I'll bet dimes to dollars that intersection was where he programmed Waze to go, then SnapMap got him to Point B (not necessarily the crash site).

To me, that's where everything stems from (that intersection), not the crash site. I'm really hoping they can get info from Waze to piece things together. I think what happened at that time, point and place is monumental to the investigation. I think it would answer a lot of Q's for LE, family, and us.

MOO obviously. :p

If the trooper didn't call for the tow truck, who do you think did? I doubt it was the VFF that reportedly waited with the vehicle until DPS arrived.
I do not know who took which action to get the vehicle to the breaker yard or what time it got there.
I know from the lE press release that it took the officer approximately a full hour to get there after the call was made.
And where as it might be a frequent occurrence for drunks to abandon vehicles after crashing, it is by no means good practice to assume one size fits all without at least some considerable amount of initial investigation.
It was a local breaker yard,probably had good working relationship with law enforcement..
I'm through making excuses for them.
Like what exactly were they thinking upon finding a backpack with a valuable content of laptop, gaming equipment a wallet and some weed just lying there?
A crashed vehicle and no driver to be seen.
Did they even look?
I'm pretty shocked.
For one thing, why did it take an hour for the officer to get there?
What was he thinking when he went home to sleep about the abandoned car, the backpack and all it's contents, the clothes on the road?
That this is a normal whatever night's work and every driver leaves a scene in this fashion, having walked 900 feet?
I'll stop now, but you get my gist.

ETC
I watched it twice yesterday, no transcript required, thanks though..
The press release may have said that but his father did not say he was definitely going home. I made a transcript of that part of the video, along with all the um's and uh's (sometimes they can be important. I had to do this for work once and the pauses, uh's, throat clearing, etc., really helped make the case). Just thought I'd mention that in the event anyone wonders why I included them. I was going to do one more pass but since it got brought up now... and I need to do something about dinner soon... you get my nearly final transcript. :)

~0:23 In response to whether or not they knew he was coming home that night:

*fidgeted in his seat* Not that particular day, he hadn’t told us yet. Um, so Jason had just finished finals. Um, and, uh, I know that, and I would say the same, I did the same, and other were my kids in college (stumbled his words there so hard to get his point), you don’t, sometimes you go directly home immediately after finals, sometimes you take a day or so, maybe hang out with some friends or do something. He was still in that phase so he was coming home... (voice goes up on the word 'home', like stating a question) As to which day it was… you know, we didn’t care. One of the particulars that maybe kinda really truly answers the question, his big sister, uh who is married and uh lives in Chicago, uh, she was coming home for Christmas, and so both the brothers, frankly, both of them are in college, uh, my two boys, um, were waiting till their sister came home.

To be there for when their sister comes home for the whole family. Until then we were just mom and dad at home waiting for the kids. So, you know, that was true for both the boys and I-I-I don’t care, you know I just, you know, when <breaks to next sentence> Christmas hadn’t started for our family yet. For me as a working Pastor, um, Christmas is a busy season, so, you know, we told the kids, ‘Hey, just, you know, come home when you’re done with finals, um, and uh, you know, Christmas starts when the whole family is together and we weren’t there yet, so…
Thank you @Gemmie for posting the transcript for us.
I, for one, appreciate it as I am unable to listen to it so was glad to be able to read it here. :)

Do you mean that it would take you straight on at the flashing traffic lights, the road he actually took as opposed to doing the correct thing and turning right?
The sign was very small indeed as his dad pointed out in his long interview.

No, it doesn’t take you straight. It has you turn right, but again, Jason had turned off Waze at that point... if Snapchat distracted him enough, and he went straight accidentally, at that point Waze would no longer be telling him he was going the wrong way. And yes I agree; after watching the interview, the sign is small and would be easily missed.

All I meant was that the fact that he was sitting at that traffic light in the first place was likely because he was heading home to his parents’ house in Missouri City.

Attachments

• 4FF5B745-758A-4574-89DC-207AB0C4C1A8.jpeg
    4FF5B745-758A-4574-89DC-207AB0C4C1A8.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 27
What he could've been thinking- he was doing a young college kid and his parents a huge favor. I know they deal with tht all the time and an arrest follows a young adult forever. They are aware of that. In some places they are NOT allowed to give warnings.
imoo: No kid, No warning, parents have been called he will go on with his night & the kid, parents, car, backpack, & clothes will leave with the family when the parents arrive. Kid in enough trouble with his parents and no car for a while? Idk is it possible? Jason just didn't follow the part?

What he could've been thinking- he was doing a young college kid and his parents a huge favor. I know they deal with tht all the time and an arrest follows a young adult forever. They are aware of that. In some places they are NOT allowed to give warnings.
imoo: No kid, No warning, parents have been called he will go on with his night & the kid, parents, car, backpack, & clothes will leave with the family when the parents arrive. Kid in enough trouble with his parents and no car for a while? Idk is it possible? Jason just didn't follow the part?
None of that supersedes the welfare of the accident victim.
Like, checking that he was okay. Alive.
Things like that.

I am in total agreement here. I also believe it has something to do with who he Snapchatted with after Waze took him to the intersection where he switched aps. I'll bet dimes to dollars that intersection was where he programmed Waze to go, then SnapMap got him to Point B (not necessarily the crash site).

To me, that's where everything stems from (that intersection), not the crash site. I'm really hoping they can get info from Waze to piece things together. I think what happened at that time, point and place is monumental to the investigation. I think it would answer a lot of Q's for LE, family, and us.

MOO obviously. :p
I agree too. The more I think about it, the less reasonable it sounds that he lost his phone under the seat at the intersection. He would have wanted his phone for using Waze later on his trip even if just for seeing speed traps and work zone / traffic jam warnings. It makes little sense to go several miles down a gravel road before looking for it. So I'm thinking it went under the seat at the accident on SFR, not before.

Thank you @Gemmie for posting the transcript for us.
I, for one, appreciate it as I am unable to listen to it so was glad to be able to read it here. :)

You're very welcome @Spartygirl . Just note that that transcript was only like 2 minutes out of a 1hr 40 min vid so not much at all. I just found that part so interesting that I decided I wanted it transcribed. At some point I'll listen to the remaining 1:15 that I still haven't finished. lol :p

:confused::confused:
I agree too. The more I think about it, the less reasonable it sounds that he lost his phone under the seat at the intersection. He would have wanted his phone for using Waze later on his trip even if just for seeing speed traps and work zone / traffic jam warnings. It makes little sense to go several miles down a gravel road before looking for it. So I'm thinking it went under the seat at the accident on SFR, not before.
One other possible explaination for the dropped phone is that perhaps there was a car behind him at the intersection. If the light turned green while he was using Snapchat and the car behind him honked to get him moving, it’s plausible he dropped his phone then but still felt he had to start driving to appease that person. That person could have gone right towards the highway at that point. All quite innocent, but would have set Jason off on the wrong track. MOO, just running scenarios in my head.

I agree. It not only would be easy to pull over to retrieve something he was very attached to using, but there are more lights in the city than on that dark road. I think it fell during the spinout. Everything goes flying that's not nailed down when that happens. I think whatever caused the spinout, or the spinout itself, would have disoriented him which might be why he left the phone. Either that or he tried but couldn't find it in the dark. Sure, there's interior car lights but mine aren't all that illuminating when I'm looking for something in my car in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ragnimom