TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Investigative reporting seems to be a thing of the past.
Sometimes in some cases we still get some great ones though! We definitely need one here. I think I’ll email some San Antonio stations (the market I’m in). Maybe Austin too (not FOX! IMO). Seems like a great story for someone to dig into.

But why turn off waze? Seems if he needed it to get to Luling he would need it to get to Salt Flat.
True, but maybe he just turned it off to use Snapchat and just never turned it back on? I’m wondering about his state of mind before, during and after this event so maybe nothing he was doing was very rational? Or maybe it was totally purposeful and he was trying to hide where he was going past there. I just don’t know!

Sometimes in some cases we still get some great ones though! We definitely need one here. I think I’ll email some San Antonio stations (the market I’m in). Maybe Austin too (not FOX! IMO). Seems like a great story for someone to dig into.
I would not do that because his family are dealing with publicity and I think they have good advice and advisors.
I think this just needs bodies on the ground fingertip searching and dogs and tech..

Yeah, there definitely was some body language going on there which is why I like transcripts down to every pause, um, er, finger drumming, whatever. Words are just words. Sometimes there's more under the surface and body gestures can reveal that. Sometimes it means nothing but it's always good to have it all.

As for his long, scruffy hair.... Hey! It's a pandemic. A lot of people are foregoing haircuts (or should IMHO). :p
I just watched it and agree that he did seem to have hesitancy here in answering. I think the most likely reason is he just didn't know when he was coming home, just that he was expected home likely within the next day or two. Overall I thought KL showed a lot of poise in the interview given his situation as an anguished parent, and as a former attorney, he clearly understands the legal intricacies of the situation and how to deal with LE. He offered some tactful criticisms of LE and seemed willing to acknowledge a wide range of hypotheses for what might have happened to his son.

Are there further things he and/or LE know that couldn't be discussed at this time? Quite possibly. But this interview and the CCSO press release went a long way to fill in some details.

We do not know who his circle of friends were at school. He was brought up in a strong church oriented family, so was he connected with a church while in San Marcos? Does LE and his father know or suspect that he had become connected with a group that isn't mainstream religion?
I have a hard time shaking the idea that this is entirely staged to cover his leaving his life, not at all because he was unhappy, but because he has taken on another set of beliefs that completely directs him. MOO MOO MOO

Or if he was connected to a church outside of San Marcos.

The press release may have said that but his father did not say he was definitely going home.

I agree.
I remember that particular part of the interview. It stood out because Websleuths was mentioned right before they discussed this....WS members were questioning whether Jason was expected to be coming home that night or not based on one of Jason’s mom’s interviews. His father stated Jason was coming home for the holidays but the specific day was not exactly known.

ETA: IMO I believe Jason was making his way home that night...again JMO

Reasons for removing car. If a car is left on a back road out here I can garantee someone will go thru car looking for any valuables and it's tires might also get taken if they good. Moo

I agree.
I remember that particular part of the interview. It stood out because Websleuths was mentioned right before they discussed this....WS members were questioning whether Jason was expected to be coming home that night or not based on one of Jason’s mom’s interviews. His father stated Jason was coming home for the holidays but the specific day was not exactly known.

What I'd like to know is does he normally inform them when he plans on coming home, or does he sometimes pop in unannounced? I could be wrong but I'd think he'd inform them first, even if it was a window ('In the next few days', 'Either Monday or Tuesday', 'For sure before my sister arrives', that sort of thing).

I'd THINK most people would inform their parents (or anyone) if they were planning on visiting for more than a few hours. I'd prefer a heads-up even if it was for a few hours but that's me.

You skipped the most important sentence part which comes next. It is normal to remove cars quickly that are going to be an obstacle to traffic. I guarantee you that the emergency vehicles there made far more light than Jason's car (if he was using it as a beacon and wanted to come back to the scene). Plus, even had they left the car the lights probably would not have stayed on that long.
Sec. 683.003. CONFLICT OF LAWS; EFFECT ON OTHER LAWS. (a) Sections 683.051-683.055 may not be read as conflicting with Sections 683.074-683.078.

(b) This chapter does not affect a law authorizing the immediate removal of a vehicle left on public property that is an obstruction to traffic.
Wrecked vehicles are always towed. leaving a wrecked care out on the roadway is unheard of.. and against all policies and the traffic code

There seems to be specific information about when he turned off Waze, when he opened SnapChat, etc. from the LE reports.

Phone data reveals final known moments before disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry | kvue.com

“Now, investigators have gained access to his phone and computer data. Here is what they have discovered: ...
  • At 11:24 p.m., he entered Luling, still on Highway 180. As he goes through the intersection with Hackberry Street where Highway 80 becomes Austin Street, he quits using the Waze mapping application and beings using Snapchat on his phone.”

My assumption would be that they have access to the phone, and to Waze, and can tell from what was last input *exactly* where he was headed that night. In Waze you can see the last destination in a list.

This may be why the reports say with some certainty that he was heading home for Christmas. The last address entered was likely his parents’ house.

Last edited:
I would not do that because his family are dealing with publicity and I think they have good advice and advisors.
I think this just needs bodies on the ground fingertip searching and dogs and tech..
I can see that. They got burned with the backpack “filled with narcotics “ story. But it sounds like his father thinks somebody definitely knows something, so IMO the more investigating the better. I agree that searches are of utmost importance, however finding out what was happening before just might be the way to find him.

There seems to be specific information about when he turned off Waze, when he opened SnapChat, etc. from the LE reports.

Phone data reveals final known moments before disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry | kvue.com

“Now, investigators have gained access to his phone and computer data. Here is what they have discovered: ...
  • At 11:24 p.m., he entered Luling, still on Highway 180. As he goes through the intersection with Hackberry Street where Highway 80 becomes Austin Street, he quits using the Waze mapping application and beings using Snapchat on his phone.”

My assumption would be that they have access to the phone, and to Waze, and can tell from what was last input *exactly* where he was headed that night. In Waze you can see the last destination in a list.

This may be why the reports say with some certainty that he was heading home for Christmas. The last address entered was likely his parents’ house.
His dad specifically addressed this. He doesn’t have access to Jason’s phone. He recommended everyone give their code to a loved one. They are still waiting on warrants from Snapchat. They didn’t know he was coming home that night specifically. He also said he would use waze everywhere.

So, with that knowledge, and with LE asking for the missing 67 minutes, I don’t think we can safely say they know the address he had entered in. Maybe they do, but it’s not been shared.

It sounds as though his father left from Missouri City right after getting that 2 a.m. phone call., to make his way to Luling.

Didn't KL mention getting to the area around 5 a.m.? What time did KL say he got to Salt Flat Road? The car had already been towed at that point, because he had to wait until 7 a.m. for the lot to open. . . So he made his way to Salt Flat Road in the meantime? Was anyone else there? Is that when KL found the clothes still on the road?

Did anyone go looking around for Jason before the car (with the lights on) got towed?

When were the dogs brought in?

<moo>

I can see that. They got burned with the backpack “filled with narcotics “ story. But it sounds like his father thinks somebody definitely knows something, so IMO the more investigating the better. I agree that searches are of utmost importance, however finding out what was happening before just might be the way to find him.
There appears to be a camera on the lights that constantly flicker, in between the lights.. remember the place where he should have turned right but went straight on?
I'm not sure whether it was in working order or not though, not heard anything on MSM about it.
It's quite possible it was not working or LE would have said....
I didn't see any public announcements either looking for witnesses around his last junction... not sure I would have seen them.
I'd like to see a brand new accident investigation.. precious time was lost.

His dad specifically addressed this. He doesn’t have access to Jason’s phone. He recommended everyone give their code to a loved one. They are still waiting on warrants from Snapchat. They didn’t know he was coming home that night specifically. He also said he would use waze everywhere.

Ah that’s right, you are right. I forgot that detail. Still curious how they know which apps he was using and at what time, I guess you can tell that from cell tower pings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member