TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I totally agree that this was an interesting moment. The body language was very telling. Kent was obviously uncomfortable with the question, and the words that follow it don't make a lot of sense and go on and on. Why is that? The Landry's seem like the type of parents who wouldn't want their son driving in the middle of the night, and they also seem like parents who would want to know their son was coming home for practical reasons. Surely, Jason knew this, too. Maybe they feel that this wasn't "normal" behavior for Jason, and this worries them, but the options aren't as wholesome as "son gets waylaid on his way home for Christmas." Pot, scruffy appearances, and "long hair" embarrassed Kent and he felt the need to justify them in the interview. I think they worry about their son's reputation and their own, a bit, and are also concerned that the police won't take his disappearance seriously if he was doing something "bad" involving new friends with questionable interests or hanging out with a romantic interest for a few days. There are other things I can't mention here that worry me even more and probably worried them.
I was also quite surprised to hear that there was still a tracker on his phone. I’m not knocking that at all I think it’s a great safety feature. But I am just honestly kind of surprised.

I think it’s a delicate balance that you walk when you are a pastor of a congregation and every word that you speak is judged as a shepherding your flock and he may be quite OK with his kid having long hair but also understand what the change in his look might imply to his congregation. Sadly we as parents know what it is like to be judged when our kids make mistakes. Pastors get it way worse. It’s always their fault somehow. Also as a prior attorney he knows how every word of his will be judged and he’s probably choosing them cautiously. I try to put myself in his shoes and not knowing where his kid is and probably reserving some bit of hope that he’s still alive being cautious with every judgmental word that he might say so as not to hurt his child.

I

I totally agree that this was an interesting moment. The body language was very telling. Kent was obviously uncomfortable with the question, and the words that follow it don't make a lot of sense and go on and on. Why is that? The Landry's seem like the type of parents who wouldn't want their son driving in the middle of the night, and they also seem like parents who would want to know their son was coming home for practical reasons. Surely, Jason knew this, too. Maybe they feel that this wasn't "normal" behavior for Jason, and this worries them, but the options aren't as wholesome as "son gets waylaid on his way home for Christmas." Pot, scruffy appearances, and "long hair" embarrassed Kent and he felt the need to justify them in the interview. I think they worry about their son's reputation and their own, a bit, and are also concerned that the police won't take his disappearance seriously if he was doing something "bad" with new friends or hanging out with a romantic interest for a few days. There are other things I can't mention here that worry me even more and probably worried them.

Yeah, there definitely was some body language going on there which is why I like transcripts down to every pause, um, er, finger drumming, whatever. Words are just words. Sometimes there's more under the surface and body gestures can reveal that. Sometimes it means nothing but it's always good to have it all.

As for his long, scruffy hair.... Hey! It's a pandemic. A lot of people are foregoing haircuts (or should IMHO). :p

I was also quite surprised to hear that there was still a tracker on his phone. I’m not knocking that at all I think it’s a great safety feature. But I am just honestly kind of surprised.

I think it’s a delicate balance that you walk when you are a pastor of a congregation and every word that you speak is judged as a shepherding your flock and he may be quite OK with his kid having long hair but also understand what the change in his look might imply to his congregation. Sadly we as parents know what it is like to be judged when our kids make mistakes. Pastors get it way worse. It’s always their fault somehow. Also as a prior attorney he knows how every word of his will be judged and he’s probably choosing them cautiously. I try to put myself in his shoes and not knowing where his kid is and probably reserving some bit of hope that he’s still alive being cautious with every judgmental word that he might say so as not to hurt his child.

RBBM

if I understand it correctly, Jason's father isn't using a separate tracker - it's a built-in feature of iPhone. Users can actively share their location through Messages, but it can also be done passively, if it was set up using the family sharing feature. Everyone still has separate IDs, but they're linked together. It would allow anyone in the group to see device location, but you have to "opt in." It would then show up on the Find my Phone app. I have an example where my mom and I are linked together, but we both would have to toggle "Share my Location" to be able to find each other on Find my Phone.

Attachments

• IMG_5349_redacted.png
    IMG_5349_redacted.png
    217 KB · Views: 32
RBBM

if I understand it correctly, Jason's father isn't using a separate tracker - it's a built-in feature of iPhone. Users can actively share their location through Messages, but it can also be done passively, if it was set up using the family sharing feature. Everyone still has separate IDs, but they're linked together. It would allow anyone in the group to see device location, but you have to "opt in." It would then show up on the Find my Phone app. I have an example where my mom and I are linked together, but we both would have to toggle "Share my Location" to be able to find each other on Find my Phone.
That was my understanding too.

I disagree.. he’s not been found. Scene wasn’t treated like anything other than an accident. I’m not sure they’d know if a car forced him off the road. If so, that could give possible insight into where he is. And, if they could recreate the accident they could tell the speed and impact and potential injury and determine how far he could have walked. Then determine search area. Right now, it doesn’t seem like he could’ve succumbed to hyperthermia in 67 minutes. And it doesn’t seem like he would’ve had a life threatening head injury because the car did have an air bag and it did not deploy. So I’m leaning to foul play. Someone could’ve planted his car there. Personally still have brick on gas pedal and car pointed to the trees open in my mind. Most likely he was run off the road. I’d love someone to look at the photos and explain the tracks and lack of spin and the only non rusted spots car. Paint transfer rather than tree bark scratch?
View attachment 282990
A few things have been mentioned in this thread that we can’t discuss the contents of. Namely, the scanner thread. Have a listen and see what you think.
The cause of his accident may have everything to do with his location, particularly if a third party was involved.

With a head injury, it doesn't have to be a hard knock.
I think there is every reason to suppose that Jason was rational if not shook up after his accident. He had the presence of mind to bring his most valuable possessions and head back in the direction from which he had come, probably in search of help.
He had been unsuccessful in finding his phone.
He remembered , possibly the last signs of habitation he had seen on his way here.

THEN, he spiked a temperature, possibly as effects of head injury kicked in... this is a long time before hypothermia would set in but it's near enough to the accident site to hazard a guess that it was the accident that that brought about his high temperature.
Other possibility is that he encountered a presence on that road, possibly the same presence that followed him, if one did and he was ordered to undress by a third party, possibly somebody with a gun or that had other power to force him to obey orders.

We do not know who his circle of friends were at school. He was brought up in a strong church oriented family, so was he connected with a church while in San Marcos? Does LE and his father know or suspect that he had become connected with a group that isn't mainstream religion?
I have a hard time shaking the idea that this is entirely staged to cover his leaving his life, not at all because he was unhappy, but because he has taken on another set of beliefs that completely directs him. MOO MOO MOO

My biggest question about them towing the car so soon, is that it was late on a dark night, in the middle of nowhere, and the kid that was driving is missing and naked. Why in the world wouldn't they leave his car there just in case he wandered back to it eventually? Would towing the car off immediately, in case it's a safety hazard (in the middle of nowhere), be more important than the safety of the kid who was driving the car?

I will stand by my previous questions about whether it was legal and even SMART for them to tow a wrecked vehicle with the LIGHTS on. What if Jason was planning to walk back and find his car with those lights? Why did they feel the need to remove a car that was clearly not impeding travel on this desolate country road way up in the trees? In the middle of the night? Ask that? Funds for the county? Funds for the tow truck operator? Certainly not to give Jason a way back to his car, or even a concern for Jason at all. AND, as I said before in my state 48 hours is required....well, I just had to look up Texas law. And, I am no lawyer, BUT, it looks to me like Texas law might be 48 hour too...so WHY TOW THAT CAR? Not sure if this state law applies here or not, but I call bs on the need to tow that car instead of secure the scene or leave it as a beacon of light.

TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 683. ABANDONED MOTOR VEHICLES.

Sec. 683.002. ABANDONED MOTOR VEHICLE. (a) For the purposes of this chapter, a motor vehicle is abandoned if the motor vehicle:

(1) is inoperable, is more than five years old, and has been left unattended on public property for more than 48 hours;

(2) has remained illegally on public property for more than 48 hours;

(3) has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in charge of the property for more than 48 hours;

(4) has been left unattended on the right-of-way of a designated county, state, or federal highway for more than 48 hours;

(5) has been left unattended for more than 24 hours on the right-of-way of a turnpike project constructed and maintained by the Texas Turnpike Authority division of the Texas Department of Transportation or a controlled access highway; or

(6) is considered an abandoned motor vehicle under Section 644.153(r).

(b) In this section, "controlled access highway" has the meaning assigned by Section 541.302.
You skipped the most important sentence part which comes next. It is normal to remove cars quickly that are going to be an obstacle to traffic. I guarantee you that the emergency vehicles there made far more light than Jason's car (if he was using it as a beacon and wanted to come back to the scene). Plus, even had they left the car the lights probably would not have stayed on that long.
Sec. 683.003. CONFLICT OF LAWS; EFFECT ON OTHER LAWS. (a) Sections 683.051-683.055 may not be read as conflicting with Sections 683.074-683.078.

(b) This chapter does not affect a law authorizing the immediate removal of a vehicle left on public property that is an obstruction to traffic.

I disagree.. he’s not been found. Scene wasn’t treated like anything other than an accident. I’m not sure they’d know if a car forced him off the road. If so, that could give possible insight into where he is. And, if they could recreate the accident they could tell the speed and impact and potential injury and determine how far he could have walked. Then determine search area. Right now, it doesn’t seem like he could’ve succumbed to hyperthermia in 67 minutes. And it doesn’t seem like he would’ve had a life threatening head injury because the car did have an air bag and it did not deploy. So I’m leaning to foul play. Someone could’ve planted his car there. Personally still have brick on gas pedal and car pointed to the trees open in my mind. Most likely he was run off the road. I’d love someone to look at the photos and explain the tracks and lack of spin and the only non rusted spots car. Paint transfer rather than tree bark scratch?
View attachment 282990
A few things have been mentioned in this thread that we can’t discuss the contents of. Namely, the scanner thread. Have a listen and see what you think.
The air bags would NOT deploy in a collision such as this. Front air bags deploy when the front of the car hits an object while the car is travelling around 35 mph or faster. The car spun and the impact was the left rear. There is not air bag sensor there so an air bag is not going to go off (unless a car as side air bags which his did not). The eventual impact on the front of the car is minor and would not trigger an air bag deployment. There are many sites that detail air bag workings for reference.

The white paint transfer could be old. Or it could be there was a white post somewhere in the accident area. It's certainly not damage from another car tapping him off the road - that would have caused far more damage than a little transfer of white paint.

To prevent other travelers from running int0 the damaged, dark car and being hurt.

Wrecked vehicles on the side of the road are a hazard. LE has a duty to protect. It's sad, if it turns out later that there's a mystery surrounding the vehicle, but it's unusual for that to be the case. Safety First is often the LE creed.

The car was not on the side of the road but had driven/skidded off the road, through grass until it hit a tree and came to rest. It wasn't a threat to other traffic driving on the road.
RBBM

Our family has Life 360 on our phones. It is a free app and comes in handy if we are expecting someone home and we hear sirens in the distance. You can tell if the vehicle is still moving or at a standstill. We had it on our daughter's phone while she was in college. Given how coeds come up missing too many times, at least we would know where her phone last was if something happened. By knowing the location, cameras on businesses could be reviewed to see if anything was captured. My concern is not unwarranted. My daughter's first year there, a college senior was kidnapped after work, robbed, raped, shot in the head [murder]and abandoned in a park south of town. A horrible, completely senseless tragedy.

You skipped the most important sentence part which comes next. It is normal to remove cars quickly that are going to be an obstacle to traffic. I guarantee you that the emergency vehicles there made far more light than Jason's car (if he was using it as a beacon and wanted to come back to the scene). Plus, even had they left the car the lights probably would not have stayed on that long.
Sec. 683.003. CONFLICT OF LAWS; EFFECT ON OTHER LAWS. (a) Sections 683.051-683.055 may not be read as conflicting with Sections 683.074-683.078.

(b) This chapter does not affect a law authorizing the immediate removal of a vehicle left on public property that is an obstruction to traffic.
The car was not an obstacle to traffic. If you scroll back 2 days , same poster posted a video depicting distance of car from road. It was in quite a bit.

RBBM

I agree, actually figured it was find my iPhone or an app, I just used the same terminology his father did.

I didn’t think that applied. This car was not an obstruction to traffic. From my quoted post and the linked article I created a few still shots to show where the car was found.

Just a reminder about how far away from the road the car was found.

The air bags would NOT deploy in a collision such as this. Front air bags deploy when the front of the car hits an object while the car is travelling around 35 mph or faster. The car spun and the impact was the left rear. There is not air bag sensor there so an air bag is not going to go off (unless a car as side air bags which his did not). The eventual impact on the front of the car is minor and would not trigger an air bag deployment. There are many sites that detail air bag workings for reference.

The white paint transfer could be old. Or it could be there was a white post somewhere in the accident area. It's certainly not damage from another car tapping him off the road - that would have caused far more damage than a little transfer of white paint.
I learned something here. I honestly did not realize that airbags did not go off with rear end collisions. Spent some time looking at that. And also found that typically they don’t result in severe concussions either. Head injury is off my list of possibilities. Here is a study for that. Is Concussion a Likely Injury Outcome from a Low Speed Read End Collision? | 30 Forensics
I can’t comment with authority on the white marks just noting they are definitely not rusted like all the other damage to the car.

Attachments

• 3BEC3DD9-76D6-444F-9CC8-EA5FE8F6878D.png
    3BEC3DD9-76D6-444F-9CC8-EA5FE8F6878D.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 45
Also note that his parents were not expecting him home. His dad said "Not that particular day, he hadn’t told us yet." when asked by the host if Jason had told them that he was going home that evening.
Wow, this is what I suspected. They did not expect him home that night.

I’m struggling to believe that he was meeting someone in Luling. I don’t think he’d have any reason to go that far to buy weed. It was 30 minutes away, and there would be plenty of people to get it from in San Marcos. Could be he was going to stay with someone there, but I’m sure LE would have found out by now if he knew anyone in Luling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahearn