TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will stand by my previous questions about whether it was legal and even SMART for them to tow a wrecked vehicle with the LIGHTS on. What if Jason was planning to walk back and find his car with those lights? Why did they feel the need to remove a car that was clearly not impeding travel on this desolate country road way up in the trees? In the middle of the night? Ask that? Funds for the county? Funds for the tow truck operator? Certainly not to give Jason a way back to his car, or even a concern for Jason at all. AND, as I said before in my state 48 hours is required....well, I just had to look up Texas law. And, I am no lawyer, BUT, it looks to me like Texas law might be 48 hour too...so WHY TOW THAT CAR? Not sure if this state law applies here or not, but I call bs on the need to tow that car instead of secure the scene or leave it as a beacon of light.

TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 683. ABANDONED MOTOR VEHICLES.

Sec. 683.002. ABANDONED MOTOR VEHICLE. (a) For the purposes of this chapter, a motor vehicle is abandoned if the motor vehicle:

(1) is inoperable, is more than five years old, and has been left unattended on public property for more than 48 hours;

(2) has remained illegally on public property for more than 48 hours;

(3) has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in charge of the property for more than 48 hours;

(4) has been left unattended on the right-of-way of a designated county, state, or federal highway for more than 48 hours;

(5) has been left unattended for more than 24 hours on the right-of-way of a turnpike project constructed and maintained by the Texas Turnpike Authority division of the Texas Department of Transportation or a controlled access highway; or

(6) is considered an abandoned motor vehicle under Section 644.153(r).

(b) In this section, "controlled access highway" has the meaning assigned by Section 541.302.

I will stand by my previous questions about whether it was legal and even SMART for them to tow a wrecked vehicle with the LIGHTS on. What if Jason was planning to walk back and find his car with those lights? Why did they feel the need to remove a car that was clearly not impeding travel on this desolate country road way up in the trees? In the middle of the night? Ask that? Funds for the county? Funds for the tow truck operator? Certainly not to give Jason a way back to his car, or even a concern for Jason at all. AND, as I said before in my state 48 hours is required....well, I just had to look up Texas law. And, I am no lawyer, BUT, it looks to me like Texas law might be 48 hour too...so WHY TOW THAT CAR? Not sure if this state law applies here or not, but I call bs on the need to tow that car instead of secure the scene or leave it as a beacon of light.

Sec. 683.002. ABANDONED MOTOR VEHICLE. (a) For the purposes of this chapter, a motor vehicle is abandoned if the motor vehicle:

(1) is inoperable, is more than five years old, and has been left unattended on public property for more than 48 hours;

(3) has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in charge of the property for more than 48 hours;

(4) has been left unattended on the right-of-way of a designated county, state, or federal highway for more than 48 hours;

(5) has been left unattended for more than 24 hours on the right-of-way of a turnpike project constructed and maintained by the Texas Turnpike Authority division of the Texas Department of Transportation or a controlled access highway; or

(b) In this section, "controlled access highway" has the meaning assigned by Section 541.302.
I would like to know what time exactly it was towed away and whether it was after or before LE had checked out the site?

The vehicle was registered under Jason's father's name. Permission (or even a request) to tow it could have come from him.

I would like to know what time exactly it was towed away and whether it was after or before LE had checked out the site?
True....
The vehicle was registered under Jason's father's name. Permission (or even a request) to tow it could have come from him.
I would bet there is no way his father would have said, oh sure tow the car away seeing as it was the only thing offering protection from the elements for his child.

I think the timeline goes like this:

12:30 am - firefighter calls 911 about car on SFR

1:30 am - LE arrives on the scene

[time unknown - Tow truck tows the car away]

6 am - Jason's father arrives at SFR, takes the photo seen of the tracks

7 am - Impound lot opens, Jason's father gets phone

last two times are from that YT interview at around 55:00

ETA: The nautical twilight for 12/14/20 (when the sun is -12 degrees below the horizon, when it starts getting light) for that ZIP code was around 6:28.

Last edited:

That is what I recall reading too.
It WAS 1.30am is my recall.

When I was in a wreck no one asked my permission or anyone else's to tow my car
It was just towed by whomever had a contract with the city

Caveat being I was not missing at the time
But when LE was done with the accident scene they were done
(And cars towed)

Just my experience

I would bet there is no way his father would have said, oh sure tow the car away seeing as it was the only thing offering protection from the elements for his child.

IMO, I feel Jason’s father wouldn’t have had the car towed until AFTER the scene of the wreck was processed appropriately (if he would have been there when it was all happening). I base my opinion on the interview with Jason’s father where he stated he wished LE would have processed the scene better (collected evidence, taped it off, etc).

IMO, I feel Jason’s father wouldn’t have had the car towed until AFTER the scene of the wreck was processed appropriately (if he would have been there when it was all happening). I base my opinion on the interview with Jason’s father where he stated he wished LE would have processed the scene better (collected evidence, taped it off, etc).
I agree.
He is also a lawyer well versed in the protocols governing such things.

I agree, IMO I don't think he would have made the decision to have it towed so soon without a more thorough investigation. From what I can put together it almost sounds like they may have towed the car while it was still dark out. I wonder if this was the case, and if so why they wouldn't wait until daylight?

I agree, IMO I don't think he would have made the decision to have it towed so soon without a more thorough investigation. From what I can put together it almost sounds like they may have towed the car while it was still dark out. I wonder if this was the case, and if so why they wouldn't wait until daylight?
It seemed to be well in from the road aligned with barbed wore fence..
It's such a shame... it's just so very sad.

ETA: The nautical twilight for 12/14/20 (when the sun is -12 degrees below the horizon, when it starts getting light) for that ZIP code was around 6:28.

Reportedly, KL was contacted by DPS around 2 AM and notified him of the car crash.

Yes, I agree. However, KL also recognized that "processing" a scene would have been done for a fatality, as it's the procedure, whereas it's not the procedure for abandoned vehicles. The host also mentioned that he's aware of some in LE that would like to have uniform guidelines across state lines for these situations.

To prevent other travelers from running int0 the damaged, dark car and being hurt.

Wrecked vehicles on the side of the road are a hazard. LE has a duty to protect. It's sad, if it turns out later that there's a mystery surrounding the vehicle, but it's unusual for that to be the case. Safety First is often the LE creed.

Relative to the 48 hour TX statute, I think that's the maximum, and not that LE does not try to act sooner than that.

Whether wrecked, stranded, or abandoned, a vehicle on the road is always an invitation for crime and trouble. Probably not applicable to SFR, I think we've all experienced the traffic slowdowns by lookie-loo's. We talked about the auction earlier -- stripping the Nissan for parts could be very lucrative for a passerby.

JL's accident was clearly an exception to the rule. I'm not faulting DPS or CCSO here.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member