TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove from San Marcos to Luling and took screenshots of my Waze app as I passed each location. Jason and I made the exact same trip within 5 minutes of each other. It should be noted that I was driving in the middle of the day on a Friday of spring break, so I am sure I encountered more traffic than Jason did on a Sunday at 11 PM. (See photos)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 6.49.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 6.49.26 PM.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 121
  • F31AC8C2-ED42-462D-B0A4-B1960202C870_1_201_a.jpeg
    F31AC8C2-ED42-462D-B0A4-B1960202C870_1_201_a.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 71BB9833-247B-44AD-98A8-D93227B157D5_1_201_a.jpeg
    71BB9833-247B-44AD-98A8-D93227B157D5_1_201_a.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 0F2E7984-22DE-43B9-88A0-D67D12D0CB5A_1_201_a.jpeg
    0F2E7984-22DE-43B9-88A0-D67D12D0CB5A_1_201_a.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 144
  • 4AAB5CB6-147B-4E36-BBF1-40688FEB6299_1_201_a.jpeg
    4AAB5CB6-147B-4E36-BBF1-40688FEB6299_1_201_a.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 41283994-D014-4F6F-B1E5-91ED9F8328AE_1_201_a.jpeg
    41283994-D014-4F6F-B1E5-91ED9F8328AE_1_201_a.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 140
  • A3C62A2F-6EFA-471D-81E4-EE6E38FF4384_1_201_a.jpeg
    A3C62A2F-6EFA-471D-81E4-EE6E38FF4384_1_201_a.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 130
  • A03ED94D-E243-4A5F-95F3-7B5E0515C1D9_1_201_a.jpeg
    A03ED94D-E243-4A5F-95F3-7B5E0515C1D9_1_201_a.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 163
I can't recall... who found the backpack, and when?

When the car was towed, did the backpack go with it? Or did someone hold on to it separately?

[Snipped for focus]

The first LE at the scene picked up the backpack and processed it. A still image later released from a body cam shows them seeing the backpack on the side of the road; they also marked the image where the clothing was visible. The property report said there were narcotics in the backpack (much later disclosed as being a bag of marijuana).

However, it was Jason's father who picked up the clothing when he arrived on the scene at around 6 a.m. or so. At first it was speculated/thought that LE had overlooked it as maybe looking dusty or being typical rubbish on the road or strewn about . However, the body cam still shows it was within visible sight of the backpack. KL (father) also described that it was a trail of clothing, starting with shirt, sandals, pants, underwear, socks...IMO they should have realized that something was really amiss and not just a typical "abandoned car" situation.

[Snipped for focus]

The first LE at the scene picked up the backpack and processed it. A still image later released from a body cam shows them seeing the backpack on the side of the road; they also marked the image where the clothing was visible. The property report said there were narcotics in the backpack (much later disclosed as being a bag of marijuana).

However, it was Jason's father who picked up the clothing when he arrived on the scene at around 6 a.m. or so. At first it was speculated/thought that LE had overlooked it as maybe looking dusty or being typical rubbish on the road or strewn about . However, the body cam still shows it was within visible sight of the backpack. KL (father) also described that it was a trail of clothing, starting with shirt, sandals, pants, underwear, socks...IMO they should have realized that something was really amiss and not just a typical "abandoned car" situation.

So... the trooper (?) picked up the backpack around 1:30-2:00 a.m., and took it to be processed... where exactly was the backpack taken?

Then, somehow, Jason's father got the backpack, but from whom/where/when? Had it been "processed" already?

And then LE went to their house a few days later to get it back from them once more?

So... the trooper (?) picked up the backpack around 1:30-2:00 a.m., and took it to be processed... where exactly was the backpack taken?

Then, somehow, Jason's father got the backpack, but from whom/where/when? Had it been "processed" already?

And then LE went to their house a few days later to get it back from them once more?
I am confused as you are about that as well. Because I do recall reading they had backpack and clothes that had to be retrieved. At least that’s what I think I remember.

I am confused as you are about that as well. Because I do recall reading they had backpack and clothes that had to be retrieved. At least that’s what I think I remember.

Right? It's not like they just tossed the backpack into the car as it was being towed... since they stated no one entered the car.

Could they have just left it on the side of the road, like the clothes? Could KL (Jason's father) have found it? Or...

It's only a guess, not backed by any particular source - but I presume that it was processed at the police station. The bag of marijuana was impounded and the backpack released to the family. It was most definitely not left at the crash site, because there was a police report filed, the one that Fox 7 Austin got a hold of and (quite erroneously) reported as "backpack filled with narcotics."

On the Loudan interview, KL says that he kept Jason's phone for a couple of days, charged up and all, before turning it over to LE for investigation. Again, a guess, but I'm assuming when KL turned in the phone, he would have also handed over the backpack as well, when it became clear that it was a missing person case and just not an abandoned car.

And the "helicopter" looking indicate railroad crossings.
Good catch - I couldn't figure out what exactly the helicopter question was referring to!
Also - Waze is both a "social app" and a "GPS". So, you can report hazards ahead (tire in the road, car on the shoulder, etc.) and the APP will alert people who are on the road of the hazard coming up. You can also report that there is a Police Officer ahead (the new tech version of "flashing your lights") and the APP will reroute you if there is an accident ahead. I remember hearing that Jason's dad said Jason would follow Waze anywhere - I get that, I do as well. I've learned the hard way when I ignored the Waze directions and ended up stuck behind a wreck.

This is very long......
I was thinking foul play of some sort for a while in this case and it is still a possibility but there are a few things for me that make it less likely, at least in my mind.

My theories have changed a few times but analyzing each fact and putting it into a big picture. The passenger door was locked, the clothing and personal items outside of the vehicle, the car being wedged pretty tight against the barbed wire fence. <modsnip>

I am now thinking that he could have been given something that would keep him awake, help him cram during finals, it isn’t uncommon for some college students to take stuff to keep them awake during finals and important studying. It could be the marijuana had something else in it, hallucinogen, synthetic, etc. The blunts/joints could have been dipped in something else, Maybe he wasn’t even aware of the fact.

He is driving and thinking someone or something is after him, he goes down salt flat out of panic or trying to lose whatever he thinks is after him. He gets down salt flat and wrecks possibly from dropping or searching for the phone. He gets out and retrieves his personal items , but can’t find his phone, planning to walk or get away. While getting out he scratches or pokes his back on a piece of barbed wire and hence the blood spot on tag of shorts. He gets undressed because his thoughts aren’t right, he is paranoid and possibly hallucinating. I don’t believe he got undressed due to hypothermia type events just because of the time frame. By the time the vff arrived, if we believe what he says, Jason was already undressed or at least the clothing was in the road already.... Then what happens?

I just think if someone else was with him the passenger door would have been unlocked. There wasn’t a large amount of blood in the road, like a fight had happened. Is it possible someone could have hit a naked man walking down the road? Someone else could have been driving but why would his clothing be in the middle of the road, why wouldn’t they take his clothing and personal items, gaming equipment. What would be the point of leaving it all? Now it is possible a naked paranoid man hallucinating happened upon a house or person and that went bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I can never get very clear on and that is understanding the legality around what can be done if there is no proof of foul play. Any legal expert want to weigh in and help me understand the limitations LE might be under?

In this case they have never indicated they believe foul play existed. Yet, I do.

For instance, let's say the marijuana was placed there by someone else. Can LE legally run prints on the bottle and if other prints come up can they run those through the FBI database as mentioned here: FIRS IAFIS | Federal Bureau of Investigation or the state database? OR do they have to have evidence of foul play before something like that can be done?

I think they would need to suspect/have evidence of foul play to authorize funds to do much forensic testing. I still do not see any signs pointing that way, though many do. Finding people is not easy. I believe his remains will be found eventually...unfortunately. Just wish it would happen soon.

I initially believed head injury or hypothermia following a missed turn (I drive that route from San Marcos to Houston area frequently). I drove straight thru the intersection at 183 and changed my mind on the "missed turn". I then went all the way down SFR - and although the first few miles of SFR were more populated than expected (and also paved), it became very isolated closer to the accident scene (gravel road and heavy/dense terrain). I was also surprised by how far the vacant homes were from the accident site. Unfortunately, I now believe it wasn't an accident and Jason was a victim of foul play. <modsnip> Prayers continue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me help you here. His car was found supposedly with the lights on. His father shared a picture of the car found in the Lordan Arts video at about 1:10:00 minutes in here

My understanding is we are allowed to discuss this youtuber. So, I would assume the car was NOT there when this reported passerby passed by.
Thanks for sharing.

I don’t recall seeing this pic of his car before. His father states it was facing south, with the lights on. In my opinion, there’s very little way a passerby could have missed this. Depending on how confident the oil field worker is in his timeline, that should help narrow down exactly when the crash occurred. That’s a huge, and often time unreliable, variable. Although I’d imagine it would be narrow enough to shave off some from the “67 minute window” in question. Hmm, just thinking out loud.

ETA: screenshot from video.
57DD16A2-FAF1-40A2-AFD1-8CE4613AA4FE.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members