TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So. Knowing what we know now, I would like to know, according to my previous post and the ordinances of who can authorize a tow and how it can be done. WHO authorized the tow, WHEN was it done, WHO entered the vehicle, Where is the inventory sheet, WHY is the car in NEUTRAL ---yes it is in neutral--someone entered that vehicle to tow it---. WHY does the screenshot say doors were locked when Kent was able to get into the car? Were they locked BUT the tow truck driver had to "open" the driver's side in order to get the car in to neutral to tow it because he didn't have a flatbed? hmmmmmm that is exactly what I am thinking. So, then, was the whole "inventory of the vehicle skipped"?

Changes the storyline a bit doesn't it? Enough presence of mind to lock the door when you exit? Or ???
The car had to be flat towed. No other way given the damage IMO.
You could still tow a front wheel drive car (such as this is) without it being in neutral as long as the front wheels are off the ground as the rear wheels are unaffected.

Could the car have been drug onto the flatbed if it was left in gear or in park? Yes. Would it be easier to load and unload the car if it was placed in neutral and the steering wheel used to help guide the car? yes.

I don't see where any of this points to anything nefarious.

I can only speak for myself but I haven't stopped wondering about that. Sure seems odd to me. Especially since they say the person usually comes back the next day to get the car. So why tow it? It wasn't blocking the road. That just feels.... odd to me.
Because it obviously was not an operable (or easy to make operable) vehicle compared to one with a flat tire or out of gas?

Texas Transportation Code § 683.002 | FindLaw
(a) For the purposes of this chapter, a motor vehicle is abandoned if the motor vehicle:

(1) is inoperable, is more than five years old, and has been left unattended on public property for more than 48 hours;

(2) has remained illegally on public property for more than 48 hours;

(3) has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in charge of the property for more than 48 hours;

(4) has been left unattended on the right-of-way of a designated county, state, or federal highway for more than 48 hours;

(5) has been left unattended for more than 24 hours on the right-of-way of a turnpike project constructed and maintained by the Texas Turnpike Authority division of the Texas Department of Transportation or a controlled access highway;  or

(6) is considered an abandoned motor vehicle under Section 644.153(r) .

(b) In this section, “controlled access highway” has the meaning assigned by Section 541.302 .
It is technically not an "abandoned vehicle" in this case. It is a vehicle involved in an accident. The 48 hours stuff is not going to apply. There are different rules for cars involved in accidents.

"We continue to analyze and follow up on search results and data collected."

Missing Person - Jason Landry
I wonder whether LE are considering foul play as a possibility here?
Is there any evidence to suggest they are?
What other vehicles used that road on the night Jason disappeared?
How many between the hours of 11.45pm and 12.35am?

Do you have a link please?
All that is necessary is to keep reading the often quoted "abandoned vehicle" text linked here (as I have pointed out before):

-----------------------------------
Sec. 683.003. CONFLICT OF LAWS; EFFECT ON OTHER LAWS. (a) Sections 683.051-683.055 may not be read as conflicting with Sections 683.074-683.078.

(b) This chapter does not affect a law authorizing the immediate removal of a vehicle left on public property that is an obstruction to traffic.

Even if off the roadway, Jason's car was an obstruction to traffic.

In this case, the towing of the car is not because it was an "abandoned vehicle". This tow would be under the "incident management" regulations (a fancy name for vehicles in an accident, abandoned or not).

Just got through the posts. First time commenting on this thread. I don’t think the towing is super important to anything. I think they towed it as it’s a damaged vehicle. I’ve never seen a wrecked vehicle just stay where it’s at when discovered. It’s one that’s towed immediately. Usually abandoned ones get warnings and then are eventually towed.

I’m not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but I wonder if he was super depressed since he kept driving further and further down this random road? Maybe purposely slammed into the tree, and then since nothing major happened, he felt embarrassed and took off on foot. Just a random theory.

All that is necessary is to keep reading the often quoted "abandoned vehicle" text linked here (as I have pointed out before):

Sec. 683.003. CONFLICT OF LAWS; EFFECT ON OTHER LAWS. (a) Sections 683.051-683.055 may not be read as conflicting with Sections 683.074-683.078.

(b) This chapter does not affect a law authorizing the immediate removal of a vehicle left on public property that is an obstruction to traffic.

Even if off the roadway, Jason's car was an obstruction to traffic.

In this case, the towing of the car is not because it was an "abandoned vehicle". This tow would be under the "incident management" regulations (a fancy name for vehicles in an accident, abandoned or not).
There are several links, which one are you referring to specifically please?
We are attempting to ascertain whether it was towed prematurely.

Just got through the posts. First time commenting on this thread. I don’t think the towing is super important to anything. I think they towed it as it’s a damaged vehicle. I’ve never seen a wrecked vehicle just stay where it’s at when discovered. It’s one that’s towed immediately. Usually abandoned ones get warnings and then are eventually towed.

I’m not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but I wonder if he was super depressed since he kept driving further and further down this random road? Maybe purposely slammed into the tree, and then since nothing major happened, he felt embarrassed and took off on foot. Just a random theory.
I feel the towing IS important because if it was not done according to the proper protocols, could there have been a cover-up of some sort?

and I am trying to figure out whether the standard operating procedures were observed on the night or not. I need to find the recommended protocols and I'm quite stuck.
I can only help with a couple things I found. How to record a crash. And what a tow ticket should contain. Or, a sample tow ticket. I’ll include a pdf of both. I’m not clear if a vehicle inventory is required. I’m not clear if this is governed by state or county or city laws.

https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trf/crash_notifications/2018/crash-report-100.pdf#page110

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/towing/Sample3.pdf#page110

I feel the towing IS important because if it was not done according to the proper protocols, could there have been a cover-up of some sort?
It is not confined to the towing.
Jason is missing and we're into month 3.
Searches have not located his body or any trace of him after his scent disappeared on that night.
It is reasonable and rational to attempt to find out the level and extent of the accident investigation that was carried out on the night he disappeared before the tow truck came along and presumably covered tracks.
This is in order to
eliminate the possible presence of another vehicle that may have either
chased him
or run him off the road.
It is in order to ascertain or attempt to ascertain whether any other human footprints or scents were on the gravel section of SLR on the night he disappeared.

Now, unless we can figure out whether the road was examined for other tracks, either human or vehicular it looks like we have come to a dead end.

The second intensive 3 day search uncovered nothing.
The first intensive 9 day search found nothing and that occurred very quickly after the accident.

There is only so far a human can walk whether injured or sound physically after an accident.

Can we eliminate foul play or not?
I'd like to eliminate it.
I simply cannot now.
Jason allegedly walked 90ft following his accident carrying a weighty backpack with all his possessions.
The backpack was set down.
His clothes were then found, strewn, one by one, not all in a single heap.
His wristwatch was located under a garment with the two straps stretched out either side.
As Jason's father described in his long interview.

He also referred to the possibility that Jason may have met with an unsavoury character, somewhere along the road.

A missing person investigation was not initiated for some time because LE assumed the driver crashed and absconded.
and that may well be a reasonable assumption for the night that was in it.
We do not know what level of accident investigation occurred and whether it ruled out the possibility of either another person being on or near the scene or another vehicle.

We go back to the beginning when we hit a wall.

edited to correct duration of first search which was actually 9days, not 3

I’m still not understanding what the towing has to do with anything?
For me it's to do with how much time was spent investigating the site for tracks and the like before the tow truck arrived to mess up all and any tracks of other vehicles or people in the vicinity in the night in question.
That is all.

I can only help with a couple things I found. How to record a crash. And what a tow ticket should contain. Or, a sample tow ticket. I’ll include a pdf of both. I’m not clear if a vehicle inventory is required. I’m not clear if this is governed by state or county or city laws.

https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trf/crash_notifications/2018/crash-report-100.pdf#page110

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/towing/Sample3.pdf#page110
Thank Diggin.
I'm searching specifically for records or examinations of road markings in or near the specific accident site.
Here, the road would be measured, photographs taken and all tracks examined whether a single vehicle or a crash into another vehicle.
Do you reckon it's possible another vehicle forced him off the road?
They must have done something.. surely they didn't just arrive and immediately call a tow yard to come tow it away??
Those investigations of roads are very time consuming.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I would think the backpack, clothes and leaving the car lights on would tell LE that this person didn't get picked up by a friend or family. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member