TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for this! Just finished listening. I have followed this case from the beginning and have gone back to re-read details several times, but until listening to the podcast I don’t think I fully grasped how tight the timeline is. When his dad says he arrived in town or on the crash scene around 5am, that’s just so soon after the wreck it puts the possibility of foul play a bit higher in my ranking of explanations here. And even further, the fact that the police were on scene so quickly ... it just seems like he couldn’t have been very far at that point and unless he was severely injured/impaired he would’ve heard LE arriving on the scene. And conversely, if he WAS injured, it doesn’t seem like he could’ve gotten all that far in such a short amount of time ... although I know much stranger things happen all the time.

Anyway. There are so many aspects of this case that are puzzling - the phone losing signal, the clothes in the road, the fact that he was on this back road to begin with - but the podcast helped highlight, for me at least, how little amount of time is thought to have passed between the crash and discovery of his vehicle.

Not only that but how little time LE took to tow a vehicle that was not blocking the road. They couldn't have done it any faster unless the tow truck was sitting there idling before the accident even happened. I find the need to hurry and tow a NON-blocking car, in the middle of the night, on a very cold and new moon evening (pitch black out), when I'm sure the tow guy would prefer sunlight to see better, and to be warmer... it just makes no sense to me. Not to mention doing that ruined a potential crime scene. Any evidence and many clues can be kissed goodbye.

I'd love to ask them what their rush was.

Not only that but how little time LE took to tow a vehicle that was not blocking the road. They couldn't have done it any faster unless the tow truck was sitting there idling before the accident even happened. I find the need to hurry and tow a NON-blocking car, in the middle of the night, on a very cold and new moon evening (pitch black out), when I'm sure the tow guy would prefer sunlight to see better, and to be warmer... it just makes no sense to me. Not to mention doing that ruined a potential crime scene. Any evidence and many clues can be kissed goodbye.

It drives me crazy that they didn't care or notice that there was no one in the car or around the car when there was clearly an accident. It's not some kid running to avoid getting a ticket or something. At the very least, the road should have been better searched for signs of the driver. So much possible evidence that was lost because of the way they destroyed the scene.

Pure speculation but is it possible LE utilizes independent contractors? Just entered in a disabled vehicle, and with economic and covid pressures, wherever such a tag gets posted, an entrepeneuring tow truck driver got there fast, to get the bid. Nothing nefarious at all --

When business is good, a 3 am tow (or between 1 and 5) might not be a popular tow, but when the ecomony goes wonky....

Just a thought --

It drives me crazy that they didn't care or notice that there was no one in the car or around the car when there was clearly an accident. It's not some kid running to avoid getting a ticket or something. At the very least, the road should have been better searched for signs of the driver. So much possible evidence that was lost because of the way they destroyed the scene.

Great points. Has LE ever said why they moved his car so quickly? If not... I wonder if it was something simple- i.e. it was the middle of the night in a small town and they were quick to act because they didn’t have much else going on at that time. I can see how it may not have been clear that there were clearly some strange aspects of the crash scene (strange meaning not just a straight forward crash) until Jason’s dad arrived and gave more insight into the items found. Maybe they thought the driver had already been picked up after calling someone for help and their main priority was moving the car? Lots of questions.

Also- none of this is meant to justify disruption of the scene and losing crucial evidence, just trying to think through LEs process in this case, using my mind with admittedly zero LE experience. :)

Pure speculation but is it possible LE utilizes independent contractors? Just entered in a disabled vehicle, and with economic and covid pressures, wherever such a tag gets posted, an entrepeneuring tow truck driver got there fast, to get the bid. Nothing nefarious at all --

When business is good, a 3 am tow (or between 1 and 5) might not be a popular tow, but when the ecomony goes wonky....

Just a thought --
This is what I was getting at in my post as well- maybe little other activity at that time of the night, so a tow truck was immediately available and came quickly.

on what basis are we speculating that the tow truck driver entered the vehicle?

I am dimly/vaguely aware that the car should be in neutral, if the tow truck is the "two wheels" only type.

Has it been said what kind of tow truck was used? If it was the flatbed type, where all four wheels are on the bed, there wouldn't be any need to make sure it's in neutral, right?

The driver's door was unlocked, but that was expected, as Jason exited out that way after the crash.

Just a thought --

Good question. I'm not sure how that works but will add an experience I had. Not with towing, but the same as in who gets there first gets paid... I was on a site where people rank businesses. I filled out the form, clicked the option 'Do not call' (I was at work, I was going to call when I was off after getting email responses, which what I had selected, but wanted to get the ball moving on my break.

I kid you not.... my phone rang AS SOON AS I hit Send. The guy must have had it set up so his phone auto-dialed or something. Either that or he was super quick (so fast as to not even check my preference to email, and not to call me). My eyes narrowed at my ringing phone and I answered it a tad annoyed. Yep, it was one of the contractors trying to be the first in the door.

So, what you're asking is a really good question. But I'd think that they'd have a way to not have a tow come immediately like that. What if it was a known crime scene? You know for darn sure it wouldn't have been flagged so some entrepreneuring tow driver could get there first. So due to that, I'm not understanding the rush to have them flag it as towed. You'd THINK they'd at least want to return the next day with sunlight to check things out. The backpack, clothing, etc. in the road should have been a clue that the scene shouldn't be rushed IMHO.

Great points. Has LE ever said why they moved his car so quickly? If not... I wonder if it was something simple- i.e. it was the middle of the night in a small town and they were quick to act because they didn’t have much else going on at that time. I can see how it may not have been clear that there were clearly some strange aspects of the crash scene (strange meaning not just a straight forward crash) until Jason’s dad arrived and gave more insight into the items found. Maybe they thought the driver had already been picked up after calling someone for help and their main priority was moving the car? Lots of questions.

Also- none of this is meant to justify disruption of the scene and losing crucial evidence, just trying to think through LEs process in this case, using my mind with admittedly zero LE experience. :)

At 1am-ish you'd THINK they'd have bed going on, or beers before bed.

Also, the items in the road were caught on their body cams. So... they had to have a clue that something was amiss and likely not a drunk driver going home to sleep it off and come back when sober.

on what basis are we speculating that the tow truck driver entered the vehicle?

I am dimly/vaguely aware that the car should be in neutral, if the tow truck is the "two wheels" only type.

Has it been said what kind of tow truck was used? If it was the flatbed type, where all four wheels are on the bed, there wouldn't be any need to make sure it's in neutral, right?

The driver's door was unlocked, but that was expected, as Jason exited out that way after the crash.

Re: " Just entered in a disabled vehicle, and with economic and covid pressures, wherever such a tag gets posted"

I interpreted that comment with LE 'entered' the data into the system which flags the drivers there's a tow that needed doing. Not 'entered the car'. You'd enter a disabled vehicle (go inside it), not: entered in a disable vehicle (data entry in my mind).

The volunteer firefighter, who discovered Jason’s abandoned vehicle, did not enter the vehicle. The Trooper who responded to the scene, almost an hour later, also did not enter the vehicle. The vehicle was towed from the scene to an impound yard, where the next morning, Jason’s father, the registered owner of the vehicle, entered the vehicle through the unlocked driver’s side door, and discovered Jason’s cell phone between the driver’s seat and the center console. It is unknown if the phone fell as Jason was operating the vehicle through the intersection of Austin St and Magnolia Ave. or during the collision. Jason’s father collected the phone and attempted to locate the scene of the collision. Upon arrival to the area, approximately 900 feet from the collision scene, Jason’s father found articles of his sons clothing (shirt, shorts, socks, underwear, slide sandals and a wristwatch) in the roadway. Those clothes were collected by his father and later released to investigators who have processed those clothes for any evidentiary findings. A single blood smear was detected on the clothes. This blood spot was small and was not indicative of serious bodily injury. It is possible that an injury causing the blood spot occurred as Jason was exiting the vehicle and came into contact with the barbed wire fence or foliage. Upon a review of the Troopers body and dash cameras from his initial response to the crash scene, investigators know that approximately 900 feet from the collision scene, the following articles, belonging to Jason, were discovered in the roadway; a backpack, a ball cap, a plastic bag of personal toiletries, and a tumbler with his deceased beta fish in it. These findings were north of the clothing, recovered the next morning by Jason’s father.

Sniped and BBM from @diggndeeperstill ‘s earlier post here; original source is the Caldwell County Sherriff’s Office FB page - Log into Facebook

A few things - first, from the above information, it really sounds like no one entered the vehicle prior to Jason’s father going to the impound yard the next morning and recovering his phone- KL stated on the podcast referenced in my post earlier today that he located the cell phone using some sort of “Find my Phone” feature that enabled him to track Jason’s phone’s location.

As far as the items in the road - based on this post I believe LE themselves didn’t actually see the items the night of the crash, but went back later to review their body cam footage after KL found the items when he arrived. I’m thinking maybe LE reviewed body cam footage to confirm the items were there all along and not left there at some point after the crash but before KL arrived? Either way- the presence of the items upon review of body cam footage clearly this indicates the items had been there all along.

I also read that the area where the crash happened is pitch black - no street lights etc. Of course, once LE was on the scene there were headlights and flashlights, and I know Jason’s car’s headlights were still on, but the general darkness of the area could potentially explain why the items in the road were missed since they weren’t right by the car.

Re: " Just entered in a disabled vehicle, and with economic and covid pressures, wherever such a tag gets posted"

I interpreted that comment with LE 'entered' the data into the system which flags the drivers there's a tow that needed doing. Not 'entered the car'. You'd enter a disabled vehicle (go inside it), not: entered in a disable vehicle (data entry in my mind).
Wasn't there audio of the trooper and VFF regarding the tow truck? In the basement? MOO

Sniped and BBM from @diggndeeperstill ‘s earlier post here; original source is the Caldwell County Sherriff’s Office FB page - Log into Facebook

A few things - first, from the above information, it really sounds like no one entered the vehicle prior to Jason’s father going to the impound yard the next morning and recovering his phone- KL stated on the podcast referenced in my post earlier today that he located the cell phone using some sort of “Find my Phone” feature that enabled him to track Jason’s phone’s location.

As far as the items in the road - based on this post it sounds like they didn’t actually see the items that night (whether or not they should have investigated further is a whole other point...) but went back later to review their body cam footage after KL found the items when he arrived. Maybe reviewed their body cam footage to confirm the items were there all along and not left there at some point after the crash and before KL arrived, which clearly this indicates that is not the case and the items had been there all along. I also read that the area where the crash happened is pitch black - no street lights etc. Obviously once LE arrived there were headlights and I know Jason’s car’s headlights were still on but this could explain why the items in the road were missed since they weren’t right by the car.

Not only is that area pitch black, it was a new moon that night (no visible moon) so about as dark as it can get.

yes, there's scanner audio, but we're not allowed to discuss anything we hear on it here, nor in the scanner thread.

And my 'yes' wasn't answering what was said on it, it was acknowledging that there is scanner audio about this, and other incidents of that evening.

The state and counties contract with specific towing companies, there may be one or more towing companies that cover a specific area.

When you look at what happened, the timeline makes more sense. I will state this as opinion, but you can research a lot of this online if you want to verify.
There is an accident, outside of any city limits, in a sparsely populated area. It appears to be a county road, so the agency responsible would be the Caldwell County sheriff. But for what ever reason, there is no one from that office (either busy elsewhere or no one on duty) and Texas DPS covers for the sheriff office. Again, this is normal that a state agency responds if they can arrive sooner than the local agency.
DPS is just going to be there to take the report and clear the scene. They aren't there to do a full investigation of the accident as that will be the local agency. It is unreasonable to expect the DPS officer to not finish this duty while both the officer and the contracted towing company are available. My guess is the officer and likely the tow company had to be ready to respond to other incidents rather than extend their time here just in case someone wandered back to the car.

If Jason had any intention of returning to the car, the lights and activity of these responders would have lead him back. Not an empty car left sitting against the fence.

Could Jason have had an almost allergic reaction to something? Maybe that's what caused the swerve... gets out, peels off clothes to be able to scratch.... or the burning sensation.... but his intention wasn't to stray, it was for relief.... vehicles and commotion were on scene really quite soon so, if he was seeking assistance, presumably that would've been a BEACON. However, if he was naked, separated from his clothing, aware of the crash and possible recreational drug use, he may have intentionally hidden. You might think though that once the scene cleared, the itch or burn might've subsided and at a minimum he'd have returned for his clothes at least.... unless by then, he WAS actually succumbing to hypothermia... especially if he bogged down in water for that half hour, hour, hours....

I'm just trying to consider various frames of mind.... hiding to avoid getting in trouble holds a ring of logic to me.... culverts, old wells, latrines. One wrong step in the pitch of night....

Perhaps Jason had a plan.... I mean if suddenly he FELT like he was being stung by a million bees, for instance, you might jerk into a crash, exit fast, strip down in favor of water, mud, grass, anything. Phone? Farthest thing from your mind. Maybe he had everything intention of returning to his clothes, his car and his phone..... but the relatively quick response from the ff, LE and the tow truck operator stole his opportunity.... and by then he was already newly hypothermic....

If he was coherent and took off on foot in an opposite direction, he could've made it miles in who knows what direction.....

Just my random, unformed opinions

Jason, where are you?

Where does it say Jason's phone loses signal???
Jason's "digital fingerprint" ends at the intersection of Magnolia and Austin, at 11:24 p.m. Jason stopped using Waze and opened Snapchat. Jason's phone was found wedged between the seat and the center console. His whereabouts from 11:24 p.m. to 12:31 a.m., when the firefighter made the call to LE, are not known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member