TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Memorial Day you guys and gals.

just joined this site, as I was looking for JL updates and theories.

I live in Houston and on a recent trip to San Antonio a friend and I stopped in Luling to retrace his path through Luling and on Salt Flat Road.

Salt Flat Road (to those who haven’t seen it or driven on it personally:

1. It starts out paved, then as it turns to gravel there are numerous deep pot holes. A right minded person, in my opinion would have turned around at that point, especially in a small Nissan. I was in a Chevy Tahoe. If he was being chased down that road his suspension would have been ****** well before the crash site.

2. Further down the road is well maintained

3. No houses on that road. Nothing but oil wells and oil workers. One worker actually stopped and asked if we needed help when we had stopped at the crash site.

So ya, I think a right minded person would have turned around much sooner. The drive from Luling to the crash site is a good 8-10 minute drive.

anyways let’s keep this discussion going...

Really interesting observations!

If we can trust the timeline -- JL's last KNOWN location and the witness who didn't see his car and the witness who called it in -- there's quite a bit of time left without explanation.

Was Jason with someone during that time? Perhaps planned via Snapchat.

Or... did Jason, having missed the turn, continued on unaware, and then made aware, did he continue thinking he was angling in line with the right road? Might he have turned and turned and turned again and then got woefully tangled? So he was driving a little bit in circles before swerving and crashing? (Deer seems likely.)

Might Jason have kept his phone on or near his backpack so, when he grabbed his backpack, he thought he had his phone? Walks a distance, digging for his phone. Spills out his day outfit (the shorts and T he had been wearing before he crammed it in his bag, as laundry)? Then walked back toward the car, chucking the backpack altogether? Why?

IF Jason spent more time driving those country roads, lost, was NOT wearing the discarded clothes while driving, swerved to miss a deer, he'd have been largely uninjured....and clothed.... and within the 900 feet of his car.... did he leave on foot and just get more lost?

Seems to me he got a ride out of there or he's still there. That's it. One or other. And somehow NEITHER seems likely.

Oh, Jason, where are you?

JMO

Last edited:
Really interesting observations!

If we can trust the timeline -- JL's last KNOWN location and the witness who didn't see his car and the witness who called it in -- there's quite a bit of time left without explanation.

Waa Jason with someone during that time? Perhaps planned via Snapchat.

Or... did Jason, having missed the turn, continued on unaware, and then made aware, did he continue thinking he was angling in line with the right road? Might he have turned and turned and turned again and then got woefully tangled? So he was driving a little bit in circles before swerving and crashing? (Deer seems likely.)

Might Jason have kept is phone on or near his backpack so, when he grabbed his backpack, he thought he had his phone. Walks a distance, digging for his phone. Spills out his day outfit (the shorts and T he had been wearing before he crammed it in his bag, as laundry)? Then walked back toward the car, chucking the backpack altogether? Why?

IF Jason spent more time driving thise country roads, lost, was NOT wearing the discarded clothes while driving, swerved to miss a deer, he'd have been largely uninjured....and clothed.... and within the 900 feet of his car.... did he leave on foot and just get more lost?

Seems to me he got a ride out of there or he's still there. That's it. One or other. And somehow NEITHER seems likely.

Oh, Jason, where are you?

JMO

His phone was last pinged at 11:24pm. So ya 10 minute drive from the major intersection.

I was going about 35-40 mph down the road. And I’m telling y’all if he was being chased at those pot holes, the tires would have been flat/blown or the suspension would have broke. At the pot holes I had to break pretty good and go 5 mph.

So we have nearly an hour between the crash and when his vehicle was found at 12:31 am. (if he didn’t stop anywhere)

Happy Memorial Day you guys and gals.

just joined this site, as I was looking for JL updates and theories.

I live in Houston and on a recent trip to San Antonio a friend and I stopped in Luling to retrace his path through Luling and on Salt Flat Road.

Salt Flat Road (to those who haven’t seen it or driven on it personally:

1. It starts out paved, then as it turns to gravel there are numerous deep pot holes. A right minded person, in my opinion would have turned around at that point, especially in a small Nissan. I was in a Chevy Tahoe. If he was being chased down that road his suspension would have been ****** well before the crash site.

2. Further down the road is well maintained

3. No houses on that road. Nothing but oil wells and oil workers. One worker actually stopped and asked if we needed help when we had stopped at the crash site.

So ya, I think a right minded person would have turned around much sooner. The drive from Luling to the crash site is a good 8-10 minute drive.

anyways let’s keep this discussion going...
Welcome to WS @BeevoughTX ! It is always good to have fresh insight to threads. We have gone around and around on all of the possible scenarios as to what happened to Jason more than once. A new perspective is welcome.

Just to clear this bit of info up, this is from the main FB group:

Kent corrected his saying that the car was running. It was not found running.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 07.04.37.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 07.04.37.png
    355.5 KB · Views: 24
No, and I find that a bit strange. I wish a classmate would join us but so far ... silence.

We never heard of local friends from his parent's home town or college buddies organizing search teams either. (If they did, I'm not aware of it and I've been here all along)

Jason had just one semester at this college so with Covid, he was lonely since it was difficult to make new friends when mostly everyone is in isolation. His father also commented on how Covid restrictions had made his son feel lonesome.
I thought Jason lived in an apt with a roommate?
And if he was a gamer, he would still have his online friends?
Was Jason an introvert or extrovert?

I will definitely add, the road Jason was on is exactly the kind of road I would and did drive down when I intended to smoke weed. And it wasn’t usually in the broad daylight.

All personal experience/opinion/speculation.

[snipped for focus] I want to bring up that KL does not believe that Jason was smoking in the car. He didn't see or find any evidence like roach clips, ash, or used joints.

the part starts at 1:19:08

A user here on another thread said that if JL had smoked before starting the drive, the car would have had a heavy smell of weed, which IIRC, neither LE nor KL have mentioned. Since both are speculative, I don't think I need to find the specific reference to it, but I can if needed.

Edit: Post 16656279 is what I remembered reading.

I thought Jason lived in an apt with a roommate?

[snipped for focus] all room configurations at the Retreat apt complex have 2-5 bedrooms so I presume/speculate that he would have at least one roommate unless there were COVID restrictions (like the Saniyya Dennis case, she didn't have a roommate because of COVID guidelines, but she lived in the dorms, much smaller area).

Hello, I'm extremely new here (like a few minutes ) so bare with me if this question has been asked/answered. With regards to the voluntary fire fighter who discovered JL's vehicle, did they stay on site until DPS arrived an hour later? Did they get out of their vehicle at all? Call out to anyone? I'm just really interested since they most likely arrived or observed the scene very early after the crash.

Hello, I'm extremely new here (like a few minutes ) so bare with me if this question has been asked/answered. With regards to the voluntary fire fighter who discovered JL's vehicle, did they stay on site until DPS arrived an hour later? Did they get out of their vehicle at all? Call out to anyone? I'm just really interested since they most likely arrived or observed the scene very early after the crash.
Yes, it was reported that the VFF remained at the crash site until DPS arrived. The only other info I recall reported per the VFF was that the car hood was not hot -- essentially corroborating that the crash probably occurred about 30-45 mins before he arrived. It was not reported if the VFF searched around the surrounding area. MOO

Sorry if I have missed this, but has the possibility of animal involvement been mentioned? I was discussing this case with my husband last night, and he was reminded of a book he read about migrants who were known to have died while crossing the border. When people attempted to locate and retrieve their bodies, they had apparently vanished. This was a mystery for awhile, as it was not thought that there were animals in the area that were large enough to move a body. But my husband was saying they ultimately realized that coyotes (the animal, not humans) were capable of this?

Anyway, I have not read this book. But it did make me wonder if it’s most likely that he crashed the car, was disoriented (either due to the crash or substances), succumbed to the elements, and was then “disappeared” by coyotes or other wildlife in that area before his body could be located. Thoughts?
I saw somewhere residents in the area said they saw no vultures in the area in the days afterward, where he went missing. That is usually a sign of something dead.

I saw somewhere residents in the area said they saw no vultures in the area in the days afterward, where he went missing. That is usually a sign of something dead.
I don't recall anything about vultures but I do recall locals suggesting feral hogs could be responsible for moving Jason's remains. It seems they can be a serious problem.

It is estimated that there are more than 5 million wild hogs in the United States. Texas is home to more 1.5 million of them and they can be found in 99% of its 254 counties. So why are there so many of them? For starters, because they did not evolve here, they have no real natural predators to speak of.

Everything you need to know about Texas' wild pig problem.

Yes, it was reported that the VFF remained at the crash site until DPS arrived. The only other info I recall reported per the VFF was that the car hood was not hot -- essentially corroborating that the crash probably occurred about 30-45 mins before he arrived. It was not reported if the VFF searched around the surrounding area. MOO
If indeed the hood was not hot and speculation the crash occurred 30-45 minutes before his arrival...that definitely cuts into the '67 minute' window. IMO that limits JL's possible activities; ie. stopping for a smoke, meeting someone in the park / cemetery or simply driving around, prior to the crash.

I've always felt the accident happened in the time it took him to drive from the intersection to the crash site which I believe others have posted is about 10 - 15 minutes depending on his speed.

If indeed the hood was not hot and speculation the crash occurred 30-45 minutes before his arrival...that definitely cuts into the '67 minute' window. IMO that limits JL's possible activities; ie. stopping for a smoke, meeting someone in the park / cemetery or simply driving around, prior to the crash.

I've always felt the accident happened in the time it took him to drive from the intersection to the crash site which I believe others have posted is about 10 - 15 minutes depending on his speed.
I agree. I just recall that the VFF account seemed to corroborate the 67 minute window and also the earlier time an oil worker passed-- prior to VFF arriving and that there was no accident when he passed. MOO

Bumping your marvelous post!

One thing, in particular, that puzzles me is that if Jason was heading home for the holidays when the car accident occurred, wouldn't he have more clothing, jeans, shirts, maybe a sweater, and extra shoes, socks and undies with him, perhaps, inside of a piece of luggage?

It seems odd that he would leave clothing at his apartment knowing he'd be gone for two weeks and longer. Hence, the lack of clothing to wear during Christmas Holidays seems most unusual.

MHO. #FindJasonPlease
IMO -not necessarily
My son always came home from college with just what he had on , just this past weekend , My 29 yr old daughter shows up at my house with my 6yr old granddaughter with no suitcase or snacks , both wanting spaghetti lol, I'm keeping my granddaughter for a 2 weeks and daughter stayed 2 nights . they have clothes here in her old bedroom drawers moo

Still new here, so not sure if this has been touched on in this gigantic thread, but there seems to have been a lot of criminal activity going on, in and around Texas State University and that includes "The Retreat" in San Marcos where JL lived..

Articles linked number 1 thru 5 are events that happened at "The Retreat"

1. December 2015
Texas State student shot during robbery attempt dies

2. March 2021
San Marcos police need help identifying suspects in four weekend shootings | KXAN Austin

3. November 2020
1 injured, 1 arrested as weekend shootings in San Marcos continue, police say

4. October 2020
Police investigate reports of gunshots at San Marcos parties over weekend; 1 arrested

5. May 2019
https://www.kens5.com/article/news/...violent-crimes-near-texas-state/273-73f82604-

Miscellaneous
Texas State is lacking in security measures

Texas State student-athlete killed in apartment shooting

As far as theories go, there is so much going on with the case that I find it hard to go in one direction. The articles above give credence to the "something happened to Jason Landry before Luling" theories. Why dump the car in Luling? Was he followed from San Marcos? Who knows.

However the one thing that stomps on that theory is the fact that his cell phone opened to snap chat in Luling. Any ideas to counter?

Last edited:
Still new here, so not sure if this has been touched on in this gigantic thread, but there seems to have been a lot of criminal activity going on, in and around Texas State University and that includes "The Retreat" in San Marcos where JL lived..

Articles linked number 1 thru 5 are events that happened at "The Retreat"

1. December 2015
Texas State student shot during robbery attempt dies

2. March 2021
San Marcos police need help identifying suspects in four weekend shootings | KXAN Austin

3. November 2020
1 injured, 1 arrested as weekend shootings in San Marcos continue, police say

4. October 2020
Police investigate reports of gunshots at San Marcos parties over weekend; 1 arrested

5. May 2019
https://www.kens5.com/article/news/...violent-crimes-near-texas-state/273-73f82604-

Miscellaneous
Texas State is lacking in security measures

Texas State student-athlete killed in apartment shooting

As far as theories go, there is so much going on with the case that I find it hard to go in one direction. The articles above give credence to the "something happened to Jason Landry before Luling" theories. Why dump the car in Luling? Was he followed from San Marcos? Who knows.

To add to my post with another question...

This whole Waze app thing. Has it been said ANYWHERE what address was logged into the Waze app? Seems like the data they received from Waze would have contained an address entered by JL upon leaving San Marcos for his destination.

Food for thought.

Hello all!

This case almost reminds me of Brandon Lawson. Vehicle crash, possibly impaired state of mind, disappeared without a trace...

Unfortunately I fear Jason succumbed to the elements eventually after wandering away from the scene (whether due to shock or otherwise), I think people can walk a very long ways, more than people think. I also almost wonder if the 67-minute window is a bit of a red herring (or potentially is). Is what he did in these minutes connected to why he went missing and where he is now? I am doubting, but I understand LE wanting a clearer, more absolute picture of the night.

To add to my post with another question...

This whole Waze app thing. Has it been said ANYWHERE what address was logged into the Waze app? Seems like the data they received from Waze would have contained an address entered by JL upon leaving San Marcos for his destination.

Food for thought.

As far as i know, it hasn't been disclosed or is known. That information is highly likely to require a search warrant, of which it would take months. Family/LE have Jason's iPhone (which would show last addresses entered), but are unable to unlock it.

Hello all!

This case almost reminds me of Brandon Lawson. Vehicle crash, possibly impaired state of mind, disappeared without a trace...

Unfortunately I fear Jason succumbed to the elements eventually after wandering away from the scene (whether due to shock or otherwise), I think people can walk a very long ways, more than people think. I also almost wonder if the 67-minute window is a bit of a red herring (or potentially is). Is what he did in these minutes connected to why he went missing and where he is now? I am doubting, but I understand LE wanting a clearer, more absolute picture of the night.

The 67-minute window...is a complete blank. With no idea what was happening between 11:24 p.m. and 12:31 a.m., the theories have spanned anywhere from "staging an accident to start a new life" or "met foul play and the site was staged." Personally my biggest question mark is what LE means by the "digital trail" disappeared. Jim West did a drive through the area - the signal does drop quite a bit as one drives further east and north on SFR, but it wouldn't have cut out instantly at that intersection. Does LE have any cell phone pings or other data or the slightest idea?

As far as i know, it hasn't been disclosed or is known. That information is highly likely to require a search warrant, of which it would take months. Family/LE have Jason's iPhone (which would show last addresses entered), but are unable to unlock it.

Yes, very accurate on how long this process takes. Seeing the timing of this discussed in many cases, it certainly seems accurate that in order for LE to get any ‘app info’, would need warrant and timing getting the data back is estimated at months at a minimum.

So I’ve only popped in to post how absolutely utterly ridiculous I think it is that it takes months to acquire this information. When it comes to criminal activity, or missing persons, really for whatever LE requires this data for - it should be unacceptable to take so long. I understand these companies have to utilize their own manpower resources to extract the data, make ‘user friendly’ (I’m guessing - unless LE has or takes it to someone familiar with the datasets), but c’mon months? What if a potential life was on the line - is it then expedited I wonder? I’ve certainly seen cases where LE comments on phone and app activity within a very short timeframe from the point of said person missing, but it’s not disclosed how they got that info. I think most often its that family was able to access it and provided LE with the same credentials to access or whatnot.
I wonder if anyone is petitioning a movement to pass into law to have these data requests lead by a strict set of steps in a maximum allowance of time the app co. must furnish LE with this data request.

ok off my soapbox but that boggles my mind and makes me so frustrated when I come across cases that this information is SO critical to even consider a next move.

I continue to maintain my belief Jason is within 10 miles of the cars location, succumbed to injuries or elements, and has simply been overlooked. Always sending strong thoughts I’m wrong and he’s safe somewhere and just needed a break from his life, however in all logic..

Moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member