TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong about Kent saying he was waiting on a friend... but I do remember him saying something about waiting for his sister to arrive. Here are my notes from the Lordanarts vid:

~23.20 – Were you expecting him home that day? Not that particular day, he hadn’t told us yet. Sometimes you hang out with friends for a few days before coming home. (not exact quote). Both boys were waiting for the sister to come home before going to parents house.

No mention of when she was arriving by father. However, this tells me that until they knew she had arrived, they weren’t going to be there (MOO). Reminds me of parties where no one wants to be first and hang out with just the hosts, (or your parents in this case), so they are ‘fashionably late’. :p
Correct...he said that about the sister. I don't know if I caught the friend part in the new video by Lordan Arts or the first. But I know it was mentioned as well. I think it was mentioned around why he was leaving so late.

I wonder what scent evidence was used for the dogs to trail with? How would the dogs be affected if someone else was the last one in Jason's car and accidentally wrecked it? What if Jason wasn't even in the car on Salt Flat Rd? What if it was a fleeing perp?

I've wondered the exact same thing. I thought... 'So, the dogs are tracking a scent. WHOSE scent are they tracking? Did they hold out Jason's t-shirt, or the shorts with a spot of blood on them, or did they simply start near the wrecked site and go from there?'. They obviously didn't start at the car, it disappeared in a poof of smoke like a magic trick not long after it was found. 'With the quickness' comes to mind.

I’ve been thinking about the dogs as well. What did they give them for a scent to track? And WHY would they not be sure whose scent they actually tracked? Isn’t that what scent dogs do? They would only track the scent they’re supposed to, not just deviate because another scent went to the pond and house. That would make dogs completely useless, and we know that although they’re not perfect, they are trained for a job and not tracking just any scent they find is kinda the most important thing. The dog thing has always been weird to me.

I have been reading along since December...still cannot see anything that indicates a crime of any sort took place or that any other person was around or in the car prior to it being found crashed and abandoned. The time elapsed allows for various theories to arise and gain traction but in the end...eventually...I feel like he will be found somewhere in the general area, with no signs of injury as far as can be determined. I wish he would be found sooner rather than later, obviously...jmo.

I’ve been thinking about the dogs as well. What did they give them for a scent to track? And WHY would they not be sure whose scent they actually tracked? Isn’t that what scent dogs do? They would only track the scent they’re supposed to, not just deviate because another scent went to the pond and house. That would make dogs completely useless, and we know that although they’re not perfect, they are trained for a job and not tracking just any scent they find is kinda the most important thing. The dog thing has always been weird to me.

IMHO... I'm guessing that they didn't hold out one of Jason's items of clothing for the dog to get the correct scent to track. I say that because if they aren't sure whose scent was actually tracked, that tells me they likely started around the crash site (or the area where clothing was found in the road), and tracked that which could basically be anyone that was there between the night of the crash and whenever they did the dog search.

If they held out an actual item of Jason's I can't imagine how they'd question whether or not the dog tracked Jason or someone else. But if they just started at Point A (and not with an item of his), then the dog is tracking whatever scent it picked up there. I wish the trackers could tell us exactly what scent was being tracked. They'd know if an item of his clothing was held out to the dog, or not, or if LE said "start over by that tree where the accident was".

All MOO.

IMHO... I'm guessing that they didn't hold out one of Jason's items of clothing for the dog to get the correct scent to track. I say that because if they aren't sure whose scent was actually tracked, that tells me they likely started around the crash site (or the area where clothing was found in the road), and tracked that which could basically be anyone that was there between the night of the crash and whenever they did the dog search.

If they held out an actual item of Jason's I can't imagine how they'd question whether or not the dog tracked Jason or someone else. But if they just started at Point A (and not with an item of his), then the dog is tracking whatever scent it picked up there. I wish the trackers could tell us exactly what scent was being tracked. They'd know if an item of his clothing was held out to the dog, or not, or if LE said "start over by that tree where the accident was".

All MOO.
But what if he wasn't the last person to hold the item they gave the dogs to track? Were they tracking , trailing, or what kind of dogs. Who knows. The stories on what they found are so different too. One report says they tracked his scent 1/4 mile back to Luling down the road and it stopped, others say they tracked to house and pond but could be wrong because LE was searching there.

But what if he wasn't the last person to hold the item they gave the dogs to track? Were they tracking , trailing, or what kind of dogs. Who knows. The stories on what they found are so different too. One report says they tracked his scent 1/4 mile back to Luling down the road and it stopped, others say they tracked to house and pond but could be wrong because LE was searching there.
I think so many mSM links were inaccurate at the beginning that it is likely the reports about the dogs mistakenly picking up someone else's scent are in error.
Obviously it depends upon the training the dogs received but they had top SAR teams on the initial search. They have well trained dogs.
His dad was there, he would have given them an item of Jason's clothing. With Jason's scent.

Good point. I guess a better way of going would be to go to his apartment and get an item of clothing out of the dirty laundry hamper. His dad could have helped there.

I think so many mSM links were inaccurate at the beginning that it is likely the reports about the dogs mistakenly picking up someone else's scent are in error.
Obviously it depends upon the training the dogs received but they had top SAR teams on the initial search. They have well trained dogs.
His dad was there, he would have given them an item of Jason's clothing. With Jason's scent.

We can get one of experienced SAR folks who comment on WS to chime in, but there are different types of search dogs. There are air-scent dogs who just go out looking for live humans. So if you have an abandoned area, you can take one of these pups out and they will alert anywhere they find air scent of *any* human. Ground tracking dogs are the type that can follow a specific scent and usually try to pick it up from the last known location.

I would not try to interpret media reports as the ppl who know are the handlers and SAR leaders. They know how much weight to give or not give an alert, because they know their dog. They also may not have been able to get ground scent dogs on scene at 1 am, in SAR you are appreciative of whomever can get there ASAP and put them to work in hopes of finding a live subject and rendering aid.

My best guess is dogs that tracked to ponds/houses were human air scent trained dogs - meaning it could have been Jason tracking to the house to the pond - or maybe someone else who was walking in that area earlier that day. But that is totally my opinion.

We can get one of experienced SAR folks who comment on WS to chime in, but there are different types of search dogs. There are air-scent dogs who just go out looking for live humans. So if you have an abandoned area, you can take one of these pups out and they will alert anywhere they find air scent of *any* human. Ground tracking dogs are the type that can follow a specific scent and usually try to pick it up from the last known location.

I would not try to interpret media reports as the ppl who know are the handlers and SAR leaders. They know how much weight to give or not give an alert, because they know their dog. They also may not have been able to get ground scent dogs on scene at 1 am, in SAR you are appreciative of whomever can get there ASAP and put them to work in hopes of finding a live subject and rendering aid.

My best guess is dogs that tracked to ponds/houses were human air scent trained dogs - meaning it could have been Jason tracking to the house to the pond - or maybe someone else who was walking in that area earlier that day. But that is totally my opinion.
We've gone through all that part.
The bit we cannot confirm, and need to is whether the media report suggesting the dog could have got confused and picked up an officer's scent rather than Jason's is the speculation of a journalist or click bait or based on any actual fact. TES were working the case at that time, they have highly trained and great dogs.
If the source was TES we can take it as accurate.
But if it was merely somebody speculating who is not a SAR then we can discard it.
Unfortunately the comment was never actually attributed to anyone.
We don't know if it was a thing or not.
If it was, in fact,mere speculation and Jason's scent was never discovered at the location at all it begs the question of whether he was there or not.

We've gone through all that part.
The bit we cannot confirm, and need to is whether the media report suggesting the dog could have got confused and picked up an officer's scent rather than Jason's is the speculation of a journalist or click bait or based on any actual fact. TES were working the case at that time, they have highly trained and great dogs.
If the source was TES we can take it as accurate.
But if it was merely somebody speculating who is not a SAR then we can discard it.
Unfortunately the comment was never actually attributed to anyone.
We don't know if it was a thing or not.
If it was, in fact,mere speculation and Jason's scent was never discovered at the location at all it begs the question of whether he was there or not.
Here is the article where it is mentioned.

Missing Texas State student Jason Landry’s abandoned car did not cause immediate concern; police work to overcome early investigative delays

Asked about earlier reports of dogs picking up a scent at an abandoned home near the crash site, Miller said canines brought in to search the area were “going back and forth” between the abandoned house and a pond that was later drained and searched, without finding Landry. But investigators are not certain the canine was picking up on Landry’s scent, because a deputy and a trooper had checked the same house just after the wreck was discovered.

Here is the article where it is mentioned.

Missing Texas State student Jason Landry’s abandoned car did not cause immediate concern; police work to overcome early investigative delays

Asked about earlier reports of dogs picking up a scent at an abandoned home near the crash site, Miller said canines brought in to search the area were “going back and forth” between the abandoned house and a pond that was later drained and searched, without finding Landry. But investigators are not certain the canine was picking up on Landry’s scent, because a deputy and a trooper had checked the same house just after the wreck was discovered.
Thanks for that.
If Miller said that, then I believe him.
Jason was there.
Miller's dogs would know the difference.

Which deputy and trooper had allegedly checked the house or was that bit reported?

This brief statement (bolded below) really doesn’t mean anything to me. IMO, it’s being said by someone who was part of the search, but not by the handler of the dog(s). Even LE officials have been known (at the frustration of the handler) to give media statements about the dogs that are confusing or just not accurate. It’s very rare for a dog handler to speak to the media about search findings (by wise policy in most instances).

-We don’t know the discipline of the dogs used (example: trailing, tracking, airscent).
-They might not have been tracking Jason specifically. The mention of the dogs tracking a deputy and a trooper who was recently in the area is an indication of that, maybe.
-Perhaps if they were tracking Jason specifically by personal belongings of his, it was contaminated during collection, thus confusing the dog. Article contamination is a problem. Guess who could have pulled the scent article? (handlers prefer to do this themselves with the calling agency present) See the first bullet (maybe the trooper or deputy).
-That was Jason who was tracked by the dogs and the dogs lost his scent or it stopped based on many factors, including the weather, environment, the attention of the dog before it taps out, etc.

The list goes on…..

All my opinion.

Over the phone, Miller walked me through the route that may have led Landry onto Salt Flat Road, demonstrating that one navigational misstep could have easily taken the student in that direction by following the natural slope of a highway. Asked about earlier reports of dogs picking up a scent at an abandoned home near the crash site, Miller said canines brought in to search the area were “going back and forth” between the abandoned house and a pond that was later drained and searched, without finding Landry. But investigators are not certain the canine was picking up on Landry’s scent, because a deputy and a trooper had checked the same house just after the wreck was discovered.

Is there aerial video footage (or aerial photos) of the collision site (and surrounding area) available? I don't remember seeing such but also I can't remember where I left my glasses that I had on my face 5 minutes ago. TIA!
There is some great work from a poster that might be called West?? @diggindeeper do you recall his name?
He went out there with a drone and produced absolutely amazing footage and maps and photographs..
It was an eye-opener for me...
I'd seen the road before, I'd seen the buildings but I had nevr seen or grasped the terrain..
@Digg?

There is some great work from a poster that might be called West?? @diggindeeper do you recall his name?
He went out there with a drone and produced absolutely amazing footage and maps and photographs..
I'd seen the road before, I'd seen the buildings but I had nevr seen or grasped the terrain..
@Digg?

JimWest.

Is there aerial video footage (or aerial photos) of the collision site (and surrounding area) available? I don't remember seeing such but also I can't remember where I left my glasses that I had on my face 5 minutes ago. TIA!
Here is a link to his post with the videos of the site. They are great. TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4
@Digg?

DEC 15, 2020

<Modsnip>

His father shared that drones were being used to detect body heat.

Jason Landry Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

FEB 25, 2021

Investigators have reviewed hundreds of hours of video from cameras in and around Luling, but none turned up anything on Landry.

Jason Landry Investigation: Texas Search and Rescue commencing 3-day search

FEB 25, 2021

According to TEXSAR, its initial search spanned nine days of ground search and three days of aerial search over about 31,680 acres with more than 100 professionally-trained volunteers.

The search teams included:
  • search-and-rescue K9s trained in live find and human remains detection
  • the TEXSAR Mounted Search and Rescue Team
  • UAV/drones
  • experts in ground search and rescue and man tracking
  • side-scan sonar
  • water search resources
  • ATVs
Jason Landry update: Texas Search and Rescue launching new search | khou.com

Anyone with information about his disappearance can call the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office at 512-398-6777 or any of the following investigators:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been reading along since December...still cannot see anything that indicates a crime of any sort took place or that any other person was around or in the car prior to it being found crashed and abandoned. The time elapsed allows for various theories to arise and gain traction but in the end...eventually...I feel like he will be found somewhere in the general area, with no signs of injury as far as can be determined. I wish he would be found sooner rather than later, obviously...jmo.

I agree, cluciano. I do not detect anything nefarious occurring before or after the car accident happened. Once I realized Officials combed through over 100 hours of the areas' CCTV and determined they did not see Jason in the area, it became obvious he didn't linger in the area of that important intersection, veer off to meet anyone in Luling, and no vehicles were chasing his car.

It's incredibly sad for the Landry Family not to know precisely what happened to their loved one. Their baby boy is missing. The confusion and grief is nearly unbearable for his parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal