TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Family, investigators push for geofence warrant in Jason Landry case. So they are trying to get a warrant to see if there were any other cell phones around?? Which is great...but why now.
So this story came out 3 months ago about asking for a geofence warrant. We know that a PI can't request a geofence warrant so I understand this was probably stated as some sort of pressure tactic. But no follow-up since then? Why not? Why not more pressure? Why do reporters not ask for updates? Seriously someone needs to start a news agency to do this type of follow-up and interviews that never get done.

More importantly, what is the status of the geofence warrant? Written, agreed to, presented, approved, or what?

Chatter about Jason is picking up on the Texas State parents FB page lately—probably since school is about to start and parents are wondering if it’s safe for their students to drive through Luling. Consensus is that it is safe if you don’t turn off the main roads and only travel in the daytime, cell service is extremely crappy in Luling, and lots of parents send their kids with pepper spray, bear spray, tasers and guns in their cars (this IS Texas :eek:).

Someone mentioned not turning onto a side road to avoid the train. I can’t remember if we ever talked about train tracks in Luling and a train possibly being why he turned onto Salt Flat Rd? I’m going to go look at that.

https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/tpp/maps/2015-railroad.pdf

Looks like a UP line does go through Luling (bottom of Caldwell county on this map). I’m looking for a better map to see exactly where it goes through the town and if Jason could have hit it when a train was going through. He could have turned off to try to avoid it and got lost? Just something I hadn’t considered before, and I think WHY he ended up on SF Rd. is key.

Also want to say on the parents page everyone is talking about how important it is to have your adult kids’ passwords. My family and I have shared all of ours w/each other because of Jason’s case.

Looks like a UP line does go through Luling (bottom of Caldwell county on this map). I’m looking for a better map to see exactly where it goes through the town and if Jason could have hit it when a train was going through. He could have turned off to try to avoid it and got lost? Just something I hadn’t considered before, and I think WHY he ended up on SF Rd. is key.
@happyday, great suggestion. The tracks go east-west and are about four blocks south of the "missed turn" where he would have turned right to go south. So if a freight train was stopped or moving slow it makes a lot of sense to try to find another route. Not sure why Jason wouldn't have used waze again at that point. Also, local LE would presumably have been aware of train activity, if it were a factor that night. But maybe not.

Also important would be the schedule of when it goes through town. If 11:30pm on a Sunday, and the tracks were on his route, then maybe he did try to go around it.

@happyday, great suggestion. The tracks go east-west and are about four blocks south of the "missed turn" where he would have turned right to go south. So if a freight train was stopped or moving slow it makes a lot of sense to try to find another route. Not sure why Jason wouldn't have used waze again at that point. Also, local LE would presumably have been aware of train activity, if it were a factor that night. But maybe not.

If that's the case he definitely would have been using Wave to find his way, yet he didn't, so I don't think he was avoiding a train. His dad did say he'd drive into a wall if Waze told him to so I can't imagine him detouring without it.

Jason found himself on SFR because he proceeded through the intersection instead of making the turn here leading to the I-10 interchange.

Jason found himself on SFR because he proceeded through the intersection instead of making the turn here leading to the I-10 interchange.
Yeah I know that’s what we think he did, but since someone on the parents group mentioned avoiding the train was a thing, I wondered if it was possible he didn’t actually do that. He could have seen the train ahead and turned off on one of those streets before the intersection and then found himself on SF Rd. that way instead of continuing through intersection and then he was lost.

Probably not b/c of what everyone has pointed out. Why wouldn’t he have used Waze to find an alternate route? But I just wasn’t sure if LE has said if they absolutely know his route through the intersection missing the turn or if that’s just the logical assumption to how he ended up where he did. I’m sure they would have looked at the train schedule if that was a possibility. It’s been a while since I’ve gone over some of the details in this case, but anything new that crosses my mind I feel like I need to throw out there! :)

Also avoiding a train or something would make me understand more why he ended up so far out on that road. I know people just get lost driving sometimes for no reason, but this has just bothered me in this case from the beginning. So far out that lonely road that was so clearly not going to a major interstate highway. It’s just weird to me.

If that's the case he definitely would have been using Wave to find his way, yet he didn't, so I don't think he was avoiding a train. His dad did say he'd drive into a wall if Waze told him to so I can't imagine him detouring without it.
Agree with both of y’all that he probably would have used Waze to find another route to avoid a train and that LE probably would have checked out train schedule if that were a possibility. Just a thought!

He wouldn't have had to "use" Waze to find his way back to his original route. Waze just begins telling me to make turns and if I follow them, I will come back to where I originally wanted to be going. If he would follow Waze as his father said he would, he would have been alright and back on track eventually.

I have never agreed that the searchers might have missed him, but:

"A group of hikers located Morell's body on Saturday in the White Tail Peak area after first noticing a piece of hiking equipment on the trail. McQuillan said the hikers were aware of the search efforts and a closer look of the area revealed Morell's body beneath what appeared to be a rock slide in an area that had been previously searched".

https://www.ktvq.com/news/local-news/body-of-missing-red-lodge-hiker-tatum-morell-found

Chatter about Jason is picking up on the Texas State parents FB page lately—probably since school is about to start and parents are wondering if it’s safe for their students to drive through Luling. Consensus is that it is safe if you don’t turn off the main roads and only travel in the daytime, cell service is extremely crappy in Luling, and lots of parents send their kids with pepper spray, bear spray, tasers and guns in their cars (this IS Texas :eek:).

Someone mentioned not turning onto a side road to avoid the train. I can’t remember if we ever talked about train tracks in Luling and a train possibly being why he turned onto Salt Flat Rd? I’m going to go look at that.
He didn't turn onto Salt Flat Road. He failed to make a turn - and the road he stayed on then became Salt Flat Road.

I haven't been on here in a long time but was wondering if anyone ever was able to find out if he was failing in college when he went missing?

I'm not sure how common it is to miss someone during a search, but it's certainly not rare. I think he could have been missed, or wherever he is wasn't searched (tanks, etc.).
Don't have any good statistics for you, but myself, YaYa_521, and others started a thread on cases where MP were eventually found in an area that had been previously professionally searched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal