TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Drives me nuts when the Caldwell County Sheriff Deputy says "He's leaving Texas state and he's going to Missouri City, which is by Houston, a source city for narcotics. Literally just happens to be along the way there. ..."

They don't have any proof. That's not nice. My son lives in Houston. They can do without that rhetoric...It doesn't add to the investigation and it makes me distrust them. I'm sure it's upsetting to his parents. They don't have proof that Jason was going to Houston to get narcotics.

How about something more objective like: "Jason was on his way to Missouri City from San Marcos. He was on Salt Flat Road after he failed to make a turn. By the tire marks it appears he may have been driving too fast or swerved to avoid an animal. We don't believe anything nefarious happened to him before the crash. Jason may have been under the influence. We don't have an explanation for why he disrobed. We don't see any evidence of foul play".

I guess Luling doesn't want city folk coming in to town for their watermelon fest. We might "bring drugs".:p:rolleyes:
Most everything else about the report was done well and professionally.
I saw this yesterday while trying to sort through Harris County John Does - off topic but there are so many and in different states and dates, it’s difficult to keep them straight. I put that little project on the back burner for now but is this her? I was confused by the Bexar notation.
Bexar County Jane Doe (1990)

I saw this yesterday while trying to sort through Harris County John Does - off topic but there are so many and in different states and dates, it’s difficult to keep them straight. I put that little project on the back burner for now but is this her? I was confused by the Bexar notation.
Bexar County Jane Doe (1990)
On my avatar, yes.
Not much is known about her.

Another thing: He may not have had cell service out on Salt Flat Road and Waze requires cell service to work.
I do not see any cell towers out there. I guess a local would need to check it out. Or a cell reception "experts" here on WS (I can't tell because there are numerous carriers out in Luling. Some appear good, some not good, I don't know anything about cell reception) I found this site, but it's pretty techy. Don't understand it myself: Cellular Tower and Signal Map

There are plenty of areas in the US where there is no cell service.

A one lane road in an old field, would not have consumer demand for a cell tower, even though there are a few residents in the area.

Sorry that this looks like an ad. I was searching for cell towers and this is the site I found.
Who's the Best Carrier In Luling? 147 People Agree It's This.

Waze vs Google Maps: Which One Is Better In 2021? | Ridester
  • Waze requires a data connection, Google Maps is available offline.

Another cell tower link: https://www.city-data.com/towers/cell-Luling-Texas.html

Attachments

• screenshot_83.png
    screenshot_83.png
    578.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Another thing: He may not have had cell service out on Salt Flat Road and Waze requires cell service to work.
I do not see any cell towers out there. I guess a local would need to check it out. Or a cell reception "experts" here on WS (I can't tell because there are numerous carriers out in Luling. Some appear good, some not good, I don't know anything about cell reception) I found this site, but it's pretty techy. Don't understand it myself: Cellular Tower and Signal Map

(RSSM)

A user here (Jim West is his name, I think) did a test drive of the route and recorded the signal strength of his phone. It does get pretty weak/unusable after maybe two miles or so.

it still bothers me a bit that we haven't been able to narrow down his movements or get a solid timeline between 11:24 pm and 12:31 am. Just a void.

If he'd driven straight and crashed at SFR right away, he could have been there as early as 11:34 pm.

the only evidence that has been extrapolated is the VFF's estimation of how hot/cold the engine block was which is far too broad to narrow down much.

ETA: TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

New details released in search for missing Texas State student

To Note:
Searchers wear GPS trackers while looking for Landry. They have used drones to isolate white pixels and locate - so far, all have been animal. They also used drones to identify maggots feeding on decomposition. Ferry believes Landry’s remains were likely consumed by feral hogs or river otters. He said it is also possible Landry climbed inside an oil tank.

"That's private property. We don't have enough to require people to drain the tanks. And so we've asked the oil operators that are in the area to vacuum those things out. That is being done, but it's being done on their timeline. So, we feel comfortable saying within another year, all of the tanks in that area will have been drained." he said.

Wow! What a find, swedeheart!!! Thanks for posting this. I just wish it was really a bodycam vid like the headline reads, and not a dash cam. I'd have liked to have heard their conversations while they were out searching, and seeing what they were seeing, and not just staring at the back of the VFF's truck. :rolleyes:

What I find interesting is the crash was found ~12:31am (timeline in link below)... yet on the vid Flores says "We’ve got Dix’s Diesel in route" (heard @ 3:14). He then noted the time out loud (12:35am @ 3:51 in) a few seconds after saying Dix’s was in route.

That's.... an awful quick tow. Unless he wasn't stating the actual time it was and was instead stating the approximate time the car was found. I'm guessing the latter but it struck me as odd.

Flores to Lisa – "It’s 43° out here and it feels like it’s 36". (Great question): “What in the world was he doing on this road then?”.

ETA another note I took:

Flores: "He kicked out the window in the back and got his backpack which was found ~150’ further up the dirt road".

There's been some speculation of how the blood got on his shorts, and that he likely got it on the barbed wire exciting through the car door. Flores saw the actual scene so maybe the evidence points to him kicking out the back window, and it not being broken from the crash. Maybe he did exit out the back window after grabbing his belongings.

Timeline: Cell phone data reveals timeline in mysterious disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry`

I was already familiar with the name "Dix Diesel" so I was somewhat surprised to hear the Trooper tell the firefighter (in the first 3 minutes) that he was calling Dix even before he personally got out of his cruiser and checked out the crash. (It's also standard/code for Troopers to request non-consent tow when they come upon an accident and the vehicle's been abandoned by the driver, inoperable, and/or nobody to drive it from the scene).

While the Trooper wasn't the investigator here, he also got it wrong about
Jason allegedly kicking out the back window. I think CCSO accurately reported Jason exited from the driver's side -- catching his waist on the barbed wire after pushing his door open against the close fence. I'm recalling that the vehicle was found unlocked, keys inside, and the headlight left on. Also, remember the pictures from the auction site where the vehicle still had tree debris in the back seat. MOO

A one lane road in an old field, would not have consumer demand for a cell tower, even though there are a few residents in the area.

Sorry that this looks like an ad. I was searching for cell towers and this is the site I found.
Who's the Best Carrier In Luling? 147 People Agree It's This.

Waze vs Google Maps: Which One Is Better In 2021? | Ridester
  • Waze requires a data connection, Google Maps is available offline.
Another cell tower link: https://www.city-data.com/towers/cell-Luling-Texas.html
Earlier on the thread, there was a local that drove the Salt Lake Rd route to the crash area who confirmed there are dead cell zones at/near this area.

(RSSM)

A user here (Jim West is his name, I think) did a test drive of the route and recorded the signal strength of his phone. It does get pretty weak/unusable after maybe two miles or so.

it still bothers me a bit that we haven't been able to narrow down his movements or get a solid timeline between 11:24 pm and 12:31 am. Just a void.

If he'd driven straight and crashed at SFR right away, he could have been there as early as 11:34 pm.

the only evidence that has been extrapolated is the VFF's estimation of how hot/cold the engine block was which is far too broad to narrow down much.

ETA: TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

@Seattle1 Earlier on the thread, there was a local that drove the Salt Lake Rd route to the crash area who confirmed there are dead cell zones at/near this area.

Thanks. Helpful! Since Waze requires a network connection, I doubt it would work out there.

Getting lost can make you feel crazy and it can lead to accidents

Accidents I have been in while lost:
1978 Dallas...I was lost on that 35 (E-W) mess. I saw the Cotton Bowl. Exited and decided to pull over into the Cotton Bowl parking lot. As I was making left, there was a car coming on my left. (I did not notice the left turn lane to my left) Was t-boned me. My fault.

2017 Not really lost, but first time at this location...Parking lot was full..Saw spaces in other side of the parking and headed towards it. I did not notice that it there was a street between two parking lots. (Lots of shrubs and street was real small) Accident.

Last edited:
More evidence released in disappearance of Jason Landry | khou.com

upload_2022-1-16_19-56-9.jpeg
Bringing forward a photo of JL’s wrecked car

Also to note:
“Did you find the driver?” the dispatcher asks.

I went up and down Salt Flat…,” the firefighter continues.

Body camera video shows when the state trooper arrives about an hour later.

“Yeah, I can see where he went sideways,” the trooper explains at the scene.

Left the keys in there and it’s all locked up,” the trooper says as he tries to unlock the door of the wrecked car.

Included in the findings from the sheriff’s office are some of the videos, messages and Snapchats Jason Landry shared with his friends the night he disappeared.

They include images and talk of marijuana, as well as some personal dialogue.

“I know that the parents are not happy with us right now,” said Capt. Jeff Ferry, who is the lead investigator on the case.

“I don’t want to tear the kid down, you know, he smokes weed. It’s not the worst thing he could be doing,” Capt. Ferry said. “He’s a kid, a 21-year-old, he’s not a bad guy.”

Captain Ferry says the sheriff’s office determined it was important the public knows almost everything that investigators have found in the past year.

The investigator says the most private information they gathered has been withheld. Captain Ferry says it was difficult for the sheriff’s office to find the right balance between being transparent with what they gathered and not sharing information that would give the appearance of victim shaming.

Ok, wait. What? They shared evidence that did appear to be victim shaming, and now they are saying they have even more private information that would appear to be victim shaming but they don't want to share it?

Hm. If they have information that would really lead to truth about what happened to Jason, it would be good to share that with those who could help.

Included in the findings from the sheriff’s office are some of the videos, messages and Snapchats Jason Landry shared with his friends the night he disappeared.
rsbm & bbm
I'm not sure if I can tell Snapchat from Facetime videos. But the khou videos all look like they were from before Jason left his apartment in San Marcos. I can't find anywhere within this new
trove of evidence that suggests that LE know who the last Snapchat from Luling was with. Maybe that's part of what was withheld, or maybe they still don't know. As it was the last time anyone communicated with Jason that we know of, it seems kind of important.

MOO. I mean this respectfully.

The part withheld has to be mental health related. If he’s a happy, adjusting new college kid who smokes that doesn’t necessarily raise any red flags. But if he’s depressed, not adjusting well, possibly struggling with the onset of mental illness (he’s about the right age and drug use can exacerbate it), then it changes how that night looks after the accident. I feel like the investigators tried to walk up to that line as much (spiritual journey, enlightenment) as they could without saying so. If the friend in Missouri City on FaceTime was really a long-time friend, I could Jason spilling his guts to him about how he was feeling. It just feels weird that we have so much recorded evidence from what Jason did that night prior to leaving. I don’t normally record FaceTime chats with friends, but would do so if I felt they were in crisis. And it seems like he talked to multiple people that night who recorded him? I think whatever those conversations are about hold the key to all this.

This is the case with many unoccupied deaths. Some guy committed suicide by shooting himself... its possible that someone else shot him but the police investigate and find no evidence of it. Some woman drives off the road and dies... its possible that someone ran her off the road but police investigate and find no evidence of it. Not everything is an evil conspiracy.
I'm sorry but your statement is implying that these things can't happen, but the reality is that they can and can happen without conspiracy. The fact of the matter is in the end a criminal will not want to be caught by LE so they do absolutely whatever they can to not be detected.

I think it’s more likely Jason considered the phone falling between the seats as one final sign of his spiritual journey or enlightenment.

I can’t see a reasonable option where Jason spends 4-5 miles trying to dig a phone out of the seat, while driving. Just stop. I also struggle with Jason not going for the phone after the accident, if he was cognizant enough to do so.

IMO, the most straightforward answer is that going down Salt Flat Rd was intentional (even if the decision was made rashly once inside Luling) and that leaving his phone in the seat was a choice.
At this point I think he was very confused healthwise perhaps in shock. He didn't intend to go on SFR. For all we know is when he realized he made a mistake travelling he may have tried to swerve around but was caught up in the crash, he may have even tried to find his phone just befor the crash.

MOO. I mean this respectfully.

The part withheld has to be mental health related. If he’s a happy, adjusting new college kid who smokes that doesn’t necessarily raise any red flags. But if he’s depressed, not adjusting well, possibly struggling with the onset of mental illness (he’s about the right age and drug use can exacerbate it), then it changes how that night looks after the accident. I feel like the investigators tried to walk up to that line as much (spiritual journey, enlightenment) as they could without saying so. If the friend in Missouri City on FaceTime was really a long-time friend, I could Jason spilling his guts to him about how he was feeling. It just feels weird that we have so much recorded evidence from what Jason did that night prior to leaving. I don’t normally record FaceTime chats with friends, but would do so if I felt they were in crisis. And it seems like he talked to multiple people that night who recorded him? I think whatever those conversations are about hold the key to all this.

On the Vanished podcast, KL said that Jason had trouble adjusting to remote learning, being in his residence all the time, that some of the professors didn't t even have lectures, just syllabi and test taking. Also described that Jason had some quarantine/isolation scares (close contacts etc.) and started working at Jimmy John's as a way for some social interaction. As a result, KL said that Jason (and other college students) were self-medicating to cope.

I also want to draw a line: Texas DPS troopers were the first ones on the scene and made some errors - they didn't secure the scene, pick up the clothing, or search very much (KL describes his disbelief that nobody was searching for Jason when he arrived on the scene at around 6 a.m.), etc. The investigation is now being handled by the Caldwell County Sheriff's office (CCSO). So, while it's fair to say that mistakes were made from the start, a different LE org is now in charge.

The newly released info does have relevance as it pertains to the "probable cause" to get a geofence warrant. LE doesn't think there is evidence of a crime. This helps explain why. And it dispels some of the more out-there theories about his disappearance (that Jason was harmed in Luling, or picked up a hitchhiker, or wasn't even driving the car at all on SFR).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop