TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moo....maybe Jason did know the road and was just messing around, his father did'nt know he smoked dope, what else did'nt the father know? Moo
To be clear, it was not that KL did not know that his son smoked dope --it was that he didn't realize how much Jason was smoking while isolated in his apartment with no live classes to attend. KL was clear that he had no expectations that his college-age son would not smoke weed given his own college experience.

Victim shaming is discussing the details that do nothing for the search efforts.

The difference is LE wouldn’t show video of said prostitutes turning tricks to prove that she was a prostitute and then state she was killed by a John when they have no proof of that. They would word it differently, respectfully. A trunk full of liquor doesn’t make a drunk driver, does it?

I do not see this different than showing a rape victim -drunk and scantily clad and blaming her for the rape and assume she said yes because she was hanging all over the guy or let him in her apartment. To me, it’s the same. Sensitivity training needs to happen, I have to wonder if it ever did in CCSO.

Personally, I don't see any victim shaming here. However, I was a little surprised in the manner the trooper spoke to JL's mom. He didn't appear to seem the least bit concerned that the driver may have been injured or walking around injured. He didn't tell her they would search for him. He automatically assumed that the driver fled the accident scene to avoid any possible charge of driving under the influence. He was completely uninterested in the fact that the driver had disrobed in freezing weather which could have indicated a head injury or hypothermia.

I was also concerned about several others things, the fact the VFF's license plate number wasn't blocked out in the video, that LE didn't mute the phone numbers of Jason's mother and father. No one needs some crank calling them about their son.

However, it was obvious to me from the videos released by JL's friends that he indulged in smoking weed a lot. That's fact based, not victim shaming. Let's put it this way, if you had a female who turned up missing, but you failed to mention they were a prostitute, you wouldn't have other prostitutes volunteering information about them or who they went with, or you'd have family members and friends looking in all the wrong places for them. Information is power. I think no less of Jason because he smoked a lot of dope.
IMO

Victim shaming is discussing the details that do nothing for the search efforts.

The difference is LE wouldn’t show video of said prostitutes turning tricks to prove that she was a prostitute and then state she was killed by a John when they have no proof of that. They would word it differently, respectfully. A trunk full of liquor doesn’t make a drunk driver, does it?

I do not see this different than showing a rape victim -drunk and scantily clad and blaming her for the rape and assume she said yes because she was hanging all over the guy or let him in her apartment. To me, it’s the same. Sensitivity training needs to happen, I have to wonder if it ever did in CCSO.

I agree with you to a certain extent. Especially when it comes to rape victims. That is a classic defense for a lawyers trying to paint the victim as 'asking for it'.

When I was referring to fact based I initially was only talking about the drugs found in JL's possessions and the obvious evidence of him being high prior to his drive. I have only recently seen the segment where the officer was creating a narrative of him going where drugs were (which in essence was true, since he had them with him) but the inference that he may have been either hooking up with buyers/sellers was embellishing. I don't agree with that. Just hyperbole.

"Landry feels some of the evidence released paints his son in a bad light."

“As a former lawyer, I’ve never seen law enforcement assassinate the character of a victim,” Landry said. “Because that’s what Jason is whether or not you know, he smoked pot or not or whatever.”

Former Texas State police chief — now a lecturer at the university, Howard Williams said releasing evidence in bulk like this, usually happens for a couple of reasons.

“There comes a time in investigations where you’ve done everything you think to chase certain leads you can find, you can’t develop more leads,” Williams said. “At that point, oftentimes, you consider going ahead and releasing evidence to the public in the hopes that someone might see what you’ve released and come and tell you that, ‘Oh, I know a little something about this.'”

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/mis...office-hopes-release-of-new-evidence-will-do/

Yeah, I don't know. He was ~5 miles down a gravel road and it was pitch black out there. According to the time distance calculator I posted below it would take 10 minutes at 30 MPH. You can play with other speeds that you feel the car was traveling.

To me, 10 minutes on a gravel road, when the city has obviously been left behind, as it's pitch black, and barely any houses... that 10 minutes would feel much longer than 10 minutes. I think if it was a mistake he'd have realized it as soon as his tires rolled over gravel. Sure, drive a little further but ~5 miles? Something is off to me for him to be that far down a gravel road in the middle of the night AND missing for over a year.

How Long Does it Take to Drive 5 at 30 MPH?
When I first heard about Jason's case I thought about this too, like why would he travel so far on this road. But, I concluded that for one thing he may have thought there was an exit somehwere on SFR, (he probably didn't even know the road's name because he wasn't paying attention to it before,) and he realized too late that there was probably no exit and then everything happened that shouldn't have that night.

While I understand why the Trooper advised the firefighter not to go searching at the abandoned house, it's not clear to me why the CSO never showed up. :eek:
Many rural sheriff offices are not fully staffed 24 hours per day. They many have only 1 or even no deputies available.
That's why the trooper shows up for accidents - because the county has no one to respond.

Another thing: He may not have had cell service out on Salt Flat Road and Waze requires cell service to work.
Waze requires you to have a signal when setting a route. If you are actively underway, Waze will work for some time based on your GPS location.
I travelled extensively through rural West Virginia a few years back and Waze continued to work in instances where I was out of cell phone coverage.

Waze requires you to have a signal when setting a route. If you are actively underway, Waze will work for some time based on your GPS location.
I travelled extensively through rural West Virginia a few years back and Waze continued to work in instances where I was out of cell phone coverage.

If Waze had fully shut down once Snapchat opened, he might not have been able to get the map back once he was down SFR. If it didn’t completely force close, it wouldn’t recalculate his route without signal, but he would have been able to manipulate the map to see that he was going in the wrong direction and there was no easy loop back to Luling.

But it doesn’t sound like he interacted with the phone at all between the light in Luling and the accident site. The last ping to the phone was the switch over to Snapchat. It doesn’t sound like he tried to unlock it afterwards or try to fiddle with Waze. Even without cellular signal, the phone should keep a log of what apps you’re trying to load, the last time you unlocked it, etc.

In one of the newspaper reports in recent months there was a mention of the last Snapchat message being a photo sent by Jason’s ex-girlfriend from his previous university of the two of them together (they had apparently remained friends).
I must have missed this information because I've been following this case since the beginning and this is the first I've ever heard that.

Also about the facetime video recorded by his friend. I understand wanting to show him how high he was later but why record 38 mins of boring nothing(boring because no sound). He wasn't acting goofy or crazy so why did the friend record so long without any sound? I didn't see anything that would make me say "hey look what you did right here", you know what I mean?

Many rural sheriff offices are not fully staffed 24 hours per day. They many have only 1 or even no deputies available.
That's why the trooper shows up for accidents - because the county has no one to respond.
Actually, the CCSO was on scene but it was not clear until after I viewed another video by a different media source. I believe I added an edit to my post citing the same. Nonetheless, having lived in a rural county, I understand the state role of a state trooper.

Also about the facetime video recorded by his friend. I understand wanting to show him how high he was later but why record 38 mins of boring nothing(boring because no sound). He wasn't acting goofy or crazy so why did the friend record so long without any sound? I didn't see anything that would make me say "hey look what you did right here", you know what I mean?
I think you missed your own point that there was NO audio released. We have no idea if Jason was speaking coherently! I think it's safe to think not.

Refresher from Jason's phone and computer data by investigators:

Now, investigators have gained access to his phone and computer data. Here is what they have discovered:

• Investigators believe he left his San Marcos apartment around 10:55 p.m. on Dec. 13 with intent to travel to the Missouri City, Texas, area, where his parents live.
  • At 11:05 p.m., he drives onto Highway 80 and passes under Interstate 35 in San Marcos. He continues south, entering Caldwell County at 11:07 p.m.
  • At 11:11 p.m., he was in Martindale, continuing south on Highway 80. He passes over SH 130 at 11:15 p.m.
  • At 11:17 p.m., he was in Fentress, entering Prarie Lea at 11:19 p.m., then the Stairtown area at 11:21 p.m.
  • At 11:24 p.m., he entered Luling, still on Highway 180. As he goes through the intersection with Hackberry Street where Highway 180 becomes Austin Street, he quits using the Waze mapping application and beings using Snapchat on his phone. He then continues on Austin Street to the intersection with US 183 (Magnolia Avenue).
It's believed he continued straight through this intersection, but his digital footprint stops here. Investigators think he continued on East Austin and onto Sprice [Spruce] Street, which turns into Salt Flat Road. His vehicle was found here on the 2300 block around 12:31 a.m.

Phone data reveals final known moments before disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry | kvue.com

Having followed Hwy 180 to Luling, Tx (Austin St), and the US 183/Magnolia St intersection-- any prudent driver would very much be aware that Salt Flat Rd was the wrong way and backtrack required.

But one can't impose the thoughts of a prudent driver on Jason here because he clearly wasn't thinking like one, straight, normal, driver at the time he crossed the intersection -- missing his only turn of the night to the I-10 interchange--leading him home.
No matter how many times we wish his reasoning for how he arrived at traveling a distance on to SF Rd, we can't -- it's that simple. MOO

Listening to the 30 minute compilation of phone calls in this link, the night Jason disappeared, it's very clear the sheriff's office made a very dedicated and concerted effort to find him. Between the dispatch at Caldwell County, to officer Flores who was on Salt Flat Road, to San Marcos PD that did a welfare check at his home, to Texas State PD who called again for an update with Caldwell County to see if jason had been found, Verizon security to locate the phone, the volunteer fireman who initially called in the wreck but was still on Salt Flat looking for him. This was an all hands on deck - when calls were made, it was immediately clear that the recipient was aware that Jason had been in a wreck and was possibly injured and was missing. I don't see how they could have done anymore, at all, that night to try to locate him.

New details released in search for missing Texas State student

Actually, the CCSO was on scene but it was not clear until after I viewed another video by a different media source. I believe I added an edit to my post citing the same. Nonetheless, having lived in a rural county, I understand the state role of a state trooper.
Yes, part of the role of a state trooper (in some states, maybe not all) is to respond when a sheriff cannot. That is true in Texas.

The trooper does the initial response. The sheriff is responsible for the investigation.

Jan 11, 2022 -- Where is Jason Landry? New video, audio released as search continues | FOX 7 Austin

LE confirms friend recorded 'screen video' sans audio -- I'd not heard that before and assumed the audio was withheld from the public release.

I don't see victim shaming here. In fact, I find it good he made the wrong turn as can you imagine what could've happened if he had been driving on a busy road? Would you like to be in the car next to him or coming at him?

There are many other non-mainstream sources that painted a picture of this but had to be googled, awhile back.

My opinion is he was high on whatever and attempted to drive.

He had an accident and the decided to get out of the car and sit somewhere till the buzz wore off and he could get help without risking a DUI or DWI.

Then whatever made him high also made him hot, he disrobed and unfortunately died of exposure.

I really think years from now someone will discover the remains not far from the crash site. Very sad but assuming he was driving high, it's fortunate for the other people on the road that night, that he took the wrong turn

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member