TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think years from now someone will discover the remains not far from the crash site. Very sad but assuming he was driving high, it's fortunate for the other people on the road that night, that he took the wrong turn
^^rsbm

Or in this case, didn't take the turn and proceeded straight through the intersection. (i.e., he missed his turn at Hwy 183/Magnolia Ave).

This has probably been discussed before, but I wonder if the abandoned house had its own septic tank? I’ve read about accidents where individuals accidentally fall into septic tanks and the lids pop back into place. I know when this happens it’s usually with young kids, but just thought I would mention it. I’m sure the searchers would have checked any that were in the vicinity?

Many rural sheriff offices are not fully staffed 24 hours per day. They many have only 1 or even no deputies available.
That's why the trooper shows up for accidents - because the county has no one to respond.
Very very sad if taken in context. Of course it shouldn't be up to the state to make people aware that it is everyone's responsibility on how to keep a community safe. People should be aware themselves so there wouldn't need to be such huge amount of resources and stress put into organizations that benefit our safety.

Last edited:
Very very sad if taken in context. Of course it shouldn't be up to the state to make people aware that it is everyone's responsibility on how to keep a community safe. People should be aware themselves so there wouldn't need to be such huge amount of resources and stress put into organizations that benefit our safety.
Caldwell County texas has 45k residents according to 2022 census data. I thought I grew up in a really rural county in Ohio (where the sheriff was a thinly staffed office) and it had 60k residents in 2020. With 45k residents, surely the sheriff office probably has a light staff level. That's why the state trooper ended up on scene.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/caldwellcountytexas

Caldwell County texas has 45k residents according to 2022 census data. I thought I grew up in a really rural county in Ohio (where the sheriff was a thinly staffed office) and it had 60k residents in 2020. With 45k residents, surely the sheriff office probably has a light staff level. That's why the state trooper ended up on scene.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/caldwellcountytexas

Although, I read the trooper may have come from Lockhart (direction doesn't matter because I believe the trooper would have still had to have driven north on SFR if coming from Lockhart also), there are state troopers patrolling the interstate. I just assumed this is why a state trooper was radioed.

There is also State Hwy 130 which goes near Lockhart, which probably also has state trooper assigned.

(Been there. Done that. Got to know one of them. Avoided a ticket..LOL....I-10 regularly patrolling rural Kendall County, which I drove through on a weekly basis years ago)

Last edited:
They have said there was no audio recorded by the friend. They had to rely on what the friend said the conversations were about.

From what I can gather based on what LE said about the video, is that JL's friend provided the video to LE but without audio. I believe it was provided voluntarily.

It makes no sense that the video was recorded without sound. If the device was on mute how could Jason and his friend interact? If a video has been recorded on mute there is no sound therefor no sound to record. If the friend can talk about what Jason and he discussed it must have had the audio activated.

From what I can gather based on what LE said about the video, is that JL's friend provided the video to LE but without audio. I believe it was provided voluntarily.

It makes no sense that the video was recorded without sound. If the device was on mute how could Jason and his friend interact? If a video has been recorded on mute there is no sound therefor no sound to record. If the friend can talk about what Jason and he discussed it must have had the audio activated.

I don't think the friend provided the recording without sound. The article says that the friend had to use memory to recall what was discussed.

New details released in search for missing Texas State student

The recording had no sound. The sheriff’s office attempted to have "university level" experts lipread the conversation, but efforts were unsuccessful - meaning the sheriff’s office had to rely on Landry’s friend for the record.

I'm not sure how recordings work on the built-in stock iPhone, but it is possible that a screen recording doesn't record the sound. I say "stock iPhone" because i know there are advanced apps that could record video and audio, but audio is dicey/legal minefield due to laws/rules about getting consent for audio recording.

Edit: I just tried - on the iPhone, if you use the built-in screen recording, it does not capture audio. It's not intended for phone calls - it's meant to capture what you're doing on the screen.

I don't think the friend provided the recording without sound. The article says that the friend had to use memory to recall what was discussed.

New details released in search for missing Texas State student

The recording had no sound. The sheriff’s office attempted to have "university level" experts lipread the conversation, but efforts were unsuccessful - meaning the sheriff’s office had to rely on Landry’s friend for the record.

I'm not sure how recordings work on the built-in stock iPhone, but it is possible that a screen recording doesn't record the sound. I say "stock iPhone" because i know there are advanced apps that could record video and audio, but audio is dicey/legal minefield due to laws/rules about getting consent for audio recording.

Edit: I just tried - on the iPhone, if you use the built-in screen recording, it does not capture audio. It's not intended for phone calls - it's meant to capture what you're doing on the screen.
Thank you, I'd also like to say that I don't believe that they couldn't find someone to read his lips...some deaf people are amazingly good at it.

^^bbm

I initially believed that audio was simply withheld from the public release but according to the attached video report (about 3 min mark) JL's friend allegedly "screen recorded" the video and shared it with LE without sound -- where the friend provided LE with a summary of their discussion which LE found the summary to be consistent with JL's search history (i.e., topics discussed).

Clearly, JL's friend did NOT have the phone on mute while recording as he was able to describe the conversation. However, it's my understanding that his friend may have either saved and/or copied the screen recording for LE using iPhones Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology designed to secure the delivery of streaming video and/or control users' access to copyrighted digital content.

In this regard, perhaps the friend was not comfortable having their private video discussion shared with the world or wanted to avoid any audio/video consent restrictions. For example, in CA-- it's illegal to audio/video record without the consent of ALL PARTIES PRESENT. Personally, I'm glad that the audio was not available out of respect for JL and his family. We got the jest of what was being discussed here and unless there was evidence of foul play in the recording, I don't think it's any of our business. MOO

ETA: add video link
TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

^^bbm

I initially believed that audio was simply withheld from the public release but according to the attached video report (about 3 min mark) JL's friend allegedly "screen recorded" the video and shared it with LE without sound -- where the friend provided LE with a summary of their discussion which LE found the summary to be consistent with JL's search history (i.e., topics discussed).

Clearly, JL's friend did NOT have the phone on mute while recording as he was able to describe the conversation. However, it's my understanding that his friend may have either saved and/or copied the screen recording for LE using iPhones Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology designed to secure the delivery of streaming video and/or control users' access to copyrighted digital content.

In this regard, perhaps the friend was not comfortable having their private video discussion shared with the world or wanted to avoid any audio/video consent restrictions. For example, in CA-- it's illegal to audio/video record without the consent of ALL PARTIES PRESENT. Personally, I'm glad that the audio was not available out of respect for JL and his family. We got the jest of what was being discussed here and unless there was evidence of foul play in the recording, I don't think it's any of our business. MOO

ETA: add video link
TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

I agree that sound must have been available otherwise how could they have conversed? It just wasn't provided to LE. The article doesn't say the friend was relying on memory regarding what he and Jason discussed, it says LE is relying on the friend to provide content and context re the conversation. I'm sure information was edited, perhaps to protect both parties. So it's true we got the gist of the conversation which was backed up by JL's search history.

If you are wearing ear buds and record your screen it does not record audio. Just a thought.

Oh gosh, that happened to me. I recorded an important speaker. I recorded because the speaker was providing lots of technical details about a new law. Then, I realized I was wearing ear buds.

Last edited:

For legal reasons, Apple disables the audio while screen recording during phone calls — both audio and video. His friend probably didn’t realize that until after the call ended.

FaceTime Video + Screen Recording - Audio… - Apple Community

From a legal standpoint, Apple has to design their software to comply with laws and regulations in regions around the world. Because phone call recording in almost all countries requires consent from all parties and can easily be abused, Apple does not include any sort of call recording options in their software. Now since FaceTime is technically a "phone call" they specifically design Screen Recording to comply with that. If you use Screen Recording while on a normal phone call or a FaceTime call, it will record whatever you're doing on the screen, but there will be no audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stewsj