TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharing a post from the family page-

Recently, a number of news outlets have been covering Jason's case by sharing newly-released information from the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office. The CCSO neither asked nor warned us that they were releasing all of this information and I struggle to see a reason to do this outside of an attempt to deflect pressure from the upcoming AG office visit by somehow making Jason's case appear less "worthy" of investigation. Here is a video that discusses the information from LordanArts, one of the best Youtubers that cover missing persons - the part on Jason starts at 7 minute mark

Sharing a post from the family page-

Recently, a number of news outlets have been covering Jason's case by sharing newly-released information from the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office. The CCSO neither asked nor warned us that they were releasing all of this information and I struggle to see a reason to do this outside of an attempt to deflect pressure from the upcoming AG office visit by somehow making Jason's case appear less "worthy" of investigation. Here is a video that discusses the information from LordanArts, one of the best Youtubers that cover missing persons - the part on Jason starts at 7 minute mark

I appreciate LE updates on a missing person but this isn't some years old cold case. 'Sure seems the CCSO was in a hurry to release this information since they didn't even take the time to call Jason's family.

I appreciate LE updates on a missing person but this isn't some years old cold case. 'Sure seems the CCSO was in a hurry to release this information since they didn't even take the time to call Jason's family.
^^bbm
To release without notifying the family in advance is so not cool and goes against all we know from a typical investigative branch. I agree with questioning the timing...

For legal reasons, Apple disables the audio while screen recording during phone calls — both audio and video. His friend probably didn’t realize that until after the call ended.

FaceTime Video + Screen Recording - Audio… - Apple Community

From a legal standpoint, Apple has to design their software to comply with laws and regulations in regions around the world. Because phone call recording in almost all countries requires consent from all parties and can easily be abused, Apple does not include any sort of call recording options in their software. Now since FaceTime is technically a "phone call" they specifically design Screen Recording to comply with that. If you use Screen Recording while on a normal phone call or a FaceTime call, it will record whatever you're doing on the screen, but there will be no audio.

Thank you for clarifying how the video would have been without audio. I was not aware of that.

Has JL’s dad/family confirmed if the recently released LE info was shown/reviewed with them ahead of time?
Yes, as posted on the official JL missing page:

Missing Person - Jason Landry
Yesterday at 9:53 AM·

Recently, a number of news outlets have been covering Jason's case by sharing newly-released information from the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office. The CCSO neither asked nor warned us that they were releasing all of this information and I struggle to see a reason to do this outside of an attempt to deflect pressure from the upcoming AG office visit by somehow making Jason's case appear less "worthy" of investigation. Here is a video that discusses the information from Lord…

Missing Person - Jason Landry

Added another case to the "recovered near area previously searched" thread: 16 year old Devin Bond’s family reported him as missing March 31, 2017. He was a Riverdale High School student. His remains recovered Nov 2019 near the intersection of Barfield Crescent Road and Morton Road- where he'd been sighted and his cell phone last pinged.

Devin Bond: Autopsy results of missing Murfreesboro teen released

Remains Found in Area After LE/SAR Searches
Adding another case: 18 yr old student Brendan Santos body recovered on Saturday from the Red Cedar River -- 1.5 miles from where he was last seen on Oct 29, 2021 at MSU - Lansing, MI.

MSU Police: Tip From Private Investigator Led To Discovery Of Body Believed To Be Brendan Santo

Adding another case: 18 yr old student Brendan Santos body recovered on Saturday from the Red Cedar River -- 1.5 miles from where he was last seen on Oct 29, 2021 at MSU - Lansing, MI.

MSU Police: Tip From Private Investigator Led To Discovery Of Body Believed To Be Brendan Santo
At least these families have a little bit of relief in knowing that their loved ones are deceased and can move forward without that I can only imagine that they would be unable to even mourn in peace. Sad.

Recent MSM article corroborating what I recalled from KL podcast and why his friend started recording their facetime on that fateful evening:

Jan 14, 2022

New details released in search for missing Texas State student

Landry FaceTimed his friend in Missouri City approximately one hour before leaving his San Marcos apartment. Ferry said Landry’s friend screen-recorded the conversation because "Jason was so messed up that he didn’t think he was going to remember it later."

Landry was set to meet the friend he was FaceTiming in Missouri City.

Ferry explained, "All signs point to us that [Landry] is under the influence, and we know that he's going to get in the car and try to navigate his way to Missouri City, where his parents are not expecting him. He was not due home. He was going to hang out with buddies, play video games and get high."
Something about the FaceTime with the friend doesn't sit well with me. If his friend was concerned about his condition, did he take steps to keep in touch with Jason during the car trip? Is there other calls or messages from this friend to Jason after the FaceTime? When was the welfare check on Jason at his apartment? Do we know for a fact it was Jason that was driving or even in his car that night? Could his car been stolen by someone? And I'm reaching here but could the accident scene with Jason's belongings could have been staged? What was the reason for the welfare check at his residence? Is there proof Jason physically left in his car that night? Was there an incident with his friend and is that the reason the friend wanted to copy the video as to not bring suspicion on his involvement? Too much emphasis on Jason being high from the friend. One more thing was his car still warm when they came across it?

Last edited:
Something about the FaceTime with the friend doesn't sit well with me. If his friend was concerned about his condition, did he take steps to keep in touch with Jason during the car trip? Is there other calls or messages from this friend to Jason after the FaceTime? When was the welfare check on Jason at his apartment? Do we know for a fact it was Jason that was driving or even in his car that night? Could his car been stolen by someone? And I'm reaching here but could the accident scene with Jason's belongings could have been staged? What was the reason for the welfare check at his residence? Is there proof Jason physically left in his car that night? Was there an incident with his friend and is that the reason the friend wanted to copy the video as to not bring suspicion on his involvement? Too much emphasis on Jason being high from the friend. One more thing was his car still warm when they came across it?

RBBM

No, we don't, but most speculate that he was the driver. I'm not one of those. To me, he could have been, or he might not have been. I've long thought it might have been staged.

RBBM

No, we don't, but most speculate that he was the driver. I'm not one of those. To me, he could have been, or he might not have been. I've long thought it might have been staged.

Wasn’t there a small drop of blood on the underwear that they speculated came from the barbed wire fence? Was there any confirmation that blood was also found on the fence?

In regards to the FaceTime, has there been any direct quotes in the media from the friend who recorded it or was it all summarized by the Sheriff’s office? If we’re getting the contents basically secondhand at this point, I don’t know if it’s to be trusted. Friend is going to protect JL, SO is going to further edit things down.

My understanding is the welfare checks were done after Jason’s car was found. This was just to rule out if he had somehow made his way back to his apartment at school after the accident. If you listen to the dash cam recording you can hear the officer discussing it with Jason’s dad.

I have a lot of questions about the FaceTime video too!

Wasn’t there a small drop of blood on the underwear that they speculated came from the barbed wire fence? Was there any confirmation that blood was also found on the fence?

In regards to the FaceTime, has there been any direct quotes in the media from the friend who recorded it or was it all summarized by the Sheriff’s office? If we’re getting the contents basically secondhand at this point, I don’t know if it’s to be trusted. Friend is going to protect JL, SO is going to further edit things down.
I don't know about other sleuthers but, I haven't come across anything that states Jason's blood was found on the barbed wire fence. I've wondered that also. I just never put it to paper or asked about it because it is a small drop if there was more than a small drop then maybe even a couple of more drops then I would really question that. I believe it has been assumed that it was from the barbed wire fence. Although at the same time I can see that his car door was against the fence from photos of the scene so I assumed that Jason may have been protected by the door. But that begs the question then if his underwear had a spot of blood on it from the fence then why not on other part of his clothes if he was wearing the clothes inside the car. How could the barbed wire fence get caught up in the band of his underwear when his shirt was on and jeans on. Brings more questions for me.

I don't know about other sleuthers but, I haven't come across anything that states Jason's blood was found on the barbed wire fence. I've wondered that also. I just never put it to paper or asked about it because it is a small drop if there was more than a small drop then maybe even a couple of more drops then I would really question that. I believe it has been assumed that it was from the barbed wire fence. Although at the same time I can see that his car door was against the fence from photos of the scene so I assumed that Jason may have been protected by the door. But that begs the question then if his underwear had a spot of blood on it from the fence then why not on other part of his clothes if he was wearing the clothes inside the car. How could the barbed wire fence get caught up in the band of his underwear when his shirt was on and jeans on. Brings more questions for me.
Please recall that Jason's clothes were left behind on the roadway and in the possession of LE. The waistband of his shorts had a smudge of blood -- I seriously doubt there was any measurable quantity of blood on the barbed wire fence.

Please recall that Jason's clothes were left behind on the roadway and in the possession of LE. The waistband of his shorts had a smudge of blood -- I seriously doubt there was any measurable quantity of blood on the barbed wire fence.
I'm talking about as he left his car. I didn't say there was a lot of blood anywhere. I wonder about the smudge and how it happened as a sleuther I want to know these details.

One explanation for the clothes in the roadway: some of the possible effects of a concussion are headache, nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to light. He may not have been entirely rational due to weed and/or concussion. Possibly he removed his clothes and left them in the road because he needed to throw up and went off into the grasses to do so. Took his clothes off so they wouldn’t get dirty. I know vomiting makes me feel hot and remove extra clothes. He planned to return to his belongings as soon as he was done.
Maybe that’s when the FF showed up and started looking around. If Jason was scared, he might have stayed in hiding. Especially if he was feeling paranoid. Then law enforcement showed up and he stayed hidden. I didn’t hear the searchers calling for him by name? I wish they had and tried to coax him back onto the roadway, might have made a difference. Anyway, just a possibility.

LE keep saying he was naked because of his clothing in the roadway. I'm sure that's most likely true but there is a small chance he put other clothes on. And if I heard LE correctly the marijuana joints he rolled in the Face time video they found in the duffle bag. Face time was an hour before he hit the road and finding the joints and small quantity of weed i don't think he was under the influence as bad as they make out him to be. An hour could very well sober you up. And as far as the mind altering drugs where is evidence of any of that with his belongings? The way his belongings were strewn on the road almost look too staged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stewsj