TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, very kind!

It's an estimated hour and 15 min walk from the crash site to the cemetery or about 3.5 miles via SFR.

data=l1POLoyi4_QutlEUTyA5VDNaUb1dMLZ1hR3tv2wFHtX8EtbXFwCfHGEY-LFSm3cqC7USITJNvoIyiqlOGpyc8-OqHvXEYt1_Dy6BxLm9CtjVHcpK0tLDUojmnRMhGY36baWH01RzGcwHdPTKy4pGd6ug7rcoHz-zwUofA_BgnFZ3WD53SohZg8jA_Xxq4wXakfbmfA,PBP5UorXFilDR5QOGorDWcbH8zOb41EFf-osCTP66XOeqB7hURo2wD7zd3CEN5RqSSTAi_0PAe5PVvMJXZSpRBEwEDZNyhcFnvK3Gc98sfb_WRZ02TEoFQBFlis6InP2aQ9ZqkIjBUxljGS04gj2fZQSHFRsmcpkqw2DWzRTidflY1xmz6aEAuL9nxz5xHysPRTOCvP2qefgU9nbvO9EanzBxKBenwZDi-9VeYanF4P17_Y3jlbIjbLOlEPS5rb6Xb_RN7cdc2e8FxfHSV6NaaYne7nHg66JGldMQhQKEiHowNmBvu02WZloruQP070qOpyNNZhkQqlcS2qj6Sh4T8khYG6ud245E4Q2sHmMixKOzEajAOd3nxGh8TtAjtws4wgBYaFFLxxm

Cementerio Bautista
6190 Salt Flat Road - Luling, TX or 6190 Co Rd 128

Google Maps
Good info. Thanks!

For anyone trying to visualize the surroundings, just keep in mind that the Google Streetview images of SFR are from 2011 and don't go all the way to the crash site. So some things may have changed, like trees, houses, fences, etc. There's some recent videos of the whole route and some other points of interest by websleuther JimWest and others back in Thread #4.

I also keep thinking about Jason walking naked and barefoot on a gravel road on a cold night. And the way the clothes and backpack were dropped. If he did try to walk back to Luling, how far could he have realistically made it given being naked, barefoot, and possibly injured from the wreck? I didn’t think about it until now but I wonder why he didn’t stay in his car because even though it couldn’t be driven it was still shelter. Just my random thoughts.

I also keep thinking about Jason walking naked and barefoot on a gravel road on a cold night. And the way the clothes and backpack were dropped. If he did try to walk back to Luling, how far could he have realistically made it given being naked, barefoot, and possibly injured from the wreck? I didn’t think about it until now but I wonder why he didn’t stay in his car because even though it couldn’t be driven it was still shelter. Just my random thoughts.
IMO Jason did not use his vehicle for shelter because he thumped his head on the left side as driver's do during the accident. I have had that experience, its like being inside a kaleidoscope someone else is turning. You just want away from the disorder. Not staying in the car is of the same weight as his disrobing. Hurts our hearts thinking of that night.

I'll have to look but how far are these cemetaries from Jason's crash site. I was just wondering maybe there's an entrance from there to bypass the barbed wire fences?
Please scroll up a few comments to Seattle1's post with a map and comment that the cemetery is 3.5 miles from the crash site.
Thank you Seattle.

IMO Jason did not use his vehicle for shelter because he thumped his head on the left side as driver's do during the accident. I have had that experience, its like being inside a kaleidoscope someone else is turning. You just want away from the disorder. Not staying in the car is of the same weight as his disrobing. Hurts our hearts thinking of that night.
I can’t speak from experience because I’ve never been in a car accident of that nature and impact but I can understand he would certainly be shaken up and disoriented, especially if he was possibly trying to get away from someone.

The first time I watched the full dashcam of when Trooper Flores arrived on the scene, and there was Jason’s Nissan Altima, lights still on and I sat there and thought of those precious minutes and hours following and was he still alive and out there to be found?

I can’t speak from experience because I’ve never been in a car accident of that nature and impact but I can understand he would certainly be shaken up and disoriented, especially if he was possibly trying to get away from someone.

The first time I watched the full dashcam of when Trooper Flores arrived on the scene, and there was Jason’s Nissan Altima, lights still on and I sat there and thought of those precious minutes and hours following and was he still alive and out there to be found?
I can speak from experience about how shaken up and disoriented you can get. I posted about that in the first thread. I also can't say what I would have done, or gone, or how far I'd have walked that dark night, had no one stopped to help me.

Here is my old post: TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

I’ve read and watched so much to educate myself about this case and there are a few things I keep coming back to:

• why was the car towed so quickly? Dix Diesel showed up while Trooper Flores was still on the scene. Did they not want to leave the car so a thorough investigation could be conducted? Jason’s dad was interviewed by Tyler Feller (think that’s his name) and he mentioned that he believes the car was also damaged when it was being loaded on the flatbed because that particular flatbed was designed for towing larger trucks. He also talked about leaving Missouri City around 2:30 am and when he got to the scene just as day was breaking , he expected to see flashing lights, investigators and people looking for Jason and there were deer and he started finding Jason’s clothes. Could he have been found if searches started at first light? Trooper Flores never appeared to even get out of his vehicle and inspect Jason’s car. He also took the backpack. And the car wasn’t even secured at the storage lot because Jason’s dad was able to get in the car and find his phone.
  • I’ve thought a lot about when Jason opened Snapchat. In another interview, his dad said the Snapchat was from an ex girlfriend who had moved out of state but that they were on good terms. According to the friend that recorded the face time call, Jason was in his words so messed up he wasn’t sure if he’d even remember things. Then he got behind the wheel. What was his emotional state while driving? Could something in the Snapchat have severely upset him causing him to miss the turn to I-10 and go barreling down a country backroad? I’m not familiar with Snapchat so I don’t know if it’s like texting or face time, so again, just my guess. But we know he never went back to waze after being on Snapchat. According to his dad, he did have his parents address entered in waze so apparently he had all intentions of coming home.
  • It is my assumption that because the local LEA concluded there was no evidence that a crime occurred, there would be no assistance from the FBI.
The interview of Jason’s dad by Tyler Feller is not only very informative but it’s just a beautiful and touching testimony of the strong faith of this family in the face of such tragedy.

why was the car towed so quickly? Dix Diesel showed up while Trooper Flores was still on the scene. Did they not want to leave the car so a thorough investigation could be conducted? Jason’s dad was interviewed by Tyler Feller (think that’s his name) and he mentioned that he believes the car was also damaged when it was being loaded on the flatbed because that particular flatbed was designed for towing larger trucks. He also talked about leaving Missouri City around 2:30 am and when he got to the scene just as day was breaking , he expected to see flashing lights, investigators and people looking for Jason and there were deer and he started finding Jason’s clothes. Could he have been found if searches started at first light? Trooper Flores never appeared to even get out of his vehicle and inspect Jason’s car. He also took the backpack. And the car wasn’t even secured at the storage lot because Jason’s dad was able to get in the car and find his phone.

[RSSBM] (respectfully snipped/bolded by me)

Can you clarify what you mean by 'secured.' At the moment, LE thought the driver had fled to avoid a DUI, so (I guess) they assumed there was no crime and they didn't take the usual procedures to secure the area. Jason's dad was able to get in the car because it was unlocked (since Jason had exited the driver's side when he left), which he said was a relief, because he had forgotten to take the spare set from home and was concerned about how he would be able to get inside.

If the cemetary is 15 mins, from the crash site and the entrance is unblocked by the barbed wire fence I wonder if he could've gone through there. If there are some mosoleums maybe a security camera would be around. Unless there are no security cameras there. I suppose only in cities do cemetaries have CCTV not rural areas. But my other point is that he could've accessed open areas to the wells from the cematary if that's possible. Unless the cemetary is blocked off by other fences then perhaps not.

Maybe he stopped at one of the cemeteries on Salt Flat Road before the crash... I still have no idea what might've happened that night.

It's as if he stumbled out of his car, picked up his backpack and his fish, and started walking back down the road; then for some odd reason, he dropped all of his things, took off all of his clothes, and started walking toward the light of an alien spaceship that immediately beamed him up and vanished into thin air.

<moo>

Last edited:
According to his dad, he did have his parents address entered in waze so apparently he had all intentions of coming home.

SBM for focus.

Just one quick comment on his parents address being entered into waze. Since he hadn't told them he was coming, and it was in the middle of the night, and his dad had said in another interview that he was going to a friends house first to play video games (Seems he contradicted himself there), and the fact Jason and his brother both wanted to wait for his sister to get there first... if this is a true statement that the parents house really was entered into waze... I think that could be due to not knowing the friends address by heart, but knowing how to get there from his parents house. In other words... he put in an address he has memorized and could easily get to the friends house once he got close enough by using the parents address. Just throwing that out because I think that could be a possible explanation. I tend to look at all angles and not take words for fact. Plus, I've done that myself. :)

And I apologize when I said it would be a quick comment, and then it wasn't. LOL :p

SBM for focus.

Just one quick comment on his parents address being entered into waze. Since he hadn't told them he was coming, and it was in the middle of the night, and his dad had said in another interview that he was going to a friends house first to play video games (Seems he contradicted himself there), and the fact Jason and his brother both wanted to wait for his sister to get there first... if this is a true statement that the parents house really was entered into waze... I think that could be due to not knowing the friends address by heart, but knowing how to get there from his parents house. In other words... he put in an address he has memorized and could easily get to the friends house once he got close enough by using the parents address. Just throwing that out because I think that could be a possible explanation. I tend to look at all angles and not take words for fact. Plus, I've done that myself. :)

And I apologize when I said it would be a quick comment, and then it wasn't. LOL :p
That all makes total sense. I remember on the call with Trooper Flores he asks the parents if they had been in contact with him that day and they said no. From what I remember, the friend that recorded the Face Time call was the one who he was supposed to play video games with. I can totally understand about knowing how to get somewhere from a familiar address. I've lived in Houston, TX my entire life and I get lost almost every time I come back from the med center. My husband and I got covid in August 2020 and he spent 9 days at Houston Methodist (Thank God he's fully recovered!) and I got lost after dropping him off. I was somewhere going through the streets of downtown, crying hysterically because there was nowhere for me to pull over and look at my phone and car's navigation screen. Finally, I see this huge green sign "I-10 West - San Antonio"!!!!!! And I was like Thank you God, I know how to get home from here!

I've been reading about the cemeteries and I find it very interesting. On this page, there are maps that show territory searched
New details released in search for missing Texas State student

Its hard to even tell from those maps how much of SFR was searched and if those cemeteries were ever indeed searched. I've tried to look at SFR on Google Street view, but like others have said, its old and not complete. I did watch a video posted in an older thread of someone driving Jason's exact route from the Luling intersection. I think someone posted that the cemeteries have barbed wire fences and gates. I'm sure the graves there are quite old. So here are my questions: Does anybody even visit there anymore to leave flowers, do geneology work (like for Find A Grave), etc? Does the county keep the grounds mowed or are there any groundskeepers that would cover a lot of the territory during upkeep?

One thing I've never understood is the "wild hog" theory. While it's true there is a good population of feral hogs in that area in TX, the area Landry's vehicle was found in is not an area feral hogs would be living in, it's not the right habitat. And this wasn't someone who was left in the wild for weeks, or even days, before he was being looked for.

One thing I've never understood is the "wild hog" theory. While it's true there is a good population of feral hogs in that area in TX, the area Landry's vehicle was found in is not an area feral hogs would be living in, it's not the right habitat. And this wasn't someone who was left in the wild for weeks, or even days, before he was being looked for.

Respectfully, many questions being asked now were addressed in significant detail earlier and/or during the first months of JL's missing person investigation - some confirmed and/or corrected as CCSO released details to the public prefacing the family's request for the AG to join the investigation.

Relative to the feral hogs, this was a surprising fact to me in 2020. Reportedly, it's true about the ecological and property damage caused by wild hogs in neighboring counties including Caldwell to the degree that the hog population is worthy of a grant or hog bounty for Caldwell County. Most recently, the CCSO also named wild hogs in his theory of what may have happened to JL's remains.

Jan 25, 2022 Bounty offered in two Texas counties for feral hogs

In 2020, the Feral Hog Task Force was able to help remove nearly 2,900 swine from Hays, Caldwell, and Guadalupe counties through bounty programs, trapping kits for landowners, aerial gunning operations and educational programming.

An estimated $1,438,500 in ecological and property damage was mitigated through a $37,500 investment in the feral hog bounty programs in those counties during that time period.

The 2022 Caldwell County feral hog bounty may be claimed on the third Thursday of each month from February 17 until July 21.

Jan 14, 2022 New details released in search for missing Texas State student

Searchers wear GPS trackers while looking for Landry. They have used drones to isolate white pixels and locate - so far, all have been animal. They also used drones to identify maggots feeding on decomposition. Ferry believes Landry’s remains were likely consumed by feral hogs or river otters. He said it is also possible Landry climbed inside an oil tank.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member