TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your response.

Seems to me there were two separate issues and only one of them involved Verizon: 1) The TxDPS officer (Trooper Flores) requested dispatch get the last ping of JL's phone (mom provided carrier as Verizon), and 2) Trooper requested dispatch relay to San Marcos PD to conduct a welfare check at victim's residence in San Marcos.

Still not clear to me what the year 2016 has to do with either issue and why I requested OP clarify this statement in their post.

My google search today of 1251 Hoover St comes back as the address of Luling Well Service, Inc.

LULING WELL SERVICE, INC. is a taxpayer registed with Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. The taxpayer number is #15105551947. The business address is 1251 Hoover St, Luling, TX 78648.

Luling Well Service, Inc. · 1251 Hoover St, Luling, TX 78648

I relistened thanks to Texas_Lexus giving us the timestamp and which audio it was.

To cut straight to the chase (after the request and subsequent identification before giving info to her) the convo is ~20:50 in.

Verizon rep in regards to the last ping - On December 14th, at 3:12 am eastern, the latitude is 29.686378 with the longitude of -97.635262 with a radius of 365 meters (which I think is .22 miles).

@ 23:15 – Dispatch made another call to a Michelle (didn’t catch from where. I can’t understand what she said). (Dispatch was asking for history on what sounds to me like 1251 Hooper St, which I believe to actually be 1251 Hoover St which I got from the long/lat). The response was there was something a couple of years ago (Dispatch said “We haven’t been there for 3 yrs” but there’s a possible naked dude (plotting? plodding?) in the area of that property within the radius that Verizon gave her.

Michelle – We haven’t dealt with that address since 2016 when somebody called in an illegal burn.

1251 Hoover St. is in Luling and quite close to Dix Diesel, who I believe towed the car. So it makes sense the phone might have pinged near there at 3am if that was where the car was initially towed. Google Maps
It was 3:12 am eastern time according to Verizon, which is an hour later than CST, so that ping would have been 2:12am am CST.

It was 3:12 am eastern time according to Verizon, which is an hour later than CST, so that ping would have been 2:12am am CST.
I remember in the interview by Tyler feller with JL dad he said something about JL phone possibly getting a signal once it was being towed to Dix diesel. I remember JL dad saying that he left houston at 2:30 am to head to the site and the car was towed before Flores left thr scene. Maybe parts of SFR just don’t have strong cell service.

I relistened thanks to Texas_Lexus giving us the timestamp and which audio it was.

To cut straight to the chase (after the request and subsequent identification before giving info to her) the convo is ~20:50 in.

Verizon rep in regards to the last ping - On December 14th, at 3:12 am eastern, the latitude is 29.686378 with the longitude of -97.635262 with a radius of 365 meters (which I think is .22 miles).

@ 23:15 – Dispatch made another call to a Michelle (didn’t catch from where. I can’t understand what she said). (Dispatch was asking for history on what sounds to me like 1251 Hooper St, which I believe to actually be 1251 Hoover St which I got from the long/lat). The response was there was something a couple of years ago (Dispatch said “We haven’t been there for 3 yrs” but there’s a possible naked dude (plotting? plodding?) in the area of that property within the radius that Verizon gave her.

Michelle – We haven’t dealt with that address since 2016 when somebody called in an illegal burn.
Why they say naked “dude” blows my mind? Never heard LEA refer to someone as dude? Which makes me want to know did anybody search around that area that night? Possibly Hoover st where those latitude and longitude coordinates were?

I can’t speak from experience because I’ve never been in a car accident of that nature and impact but I can understand he would certainly be shaken up and disoriented, especially if he was possibly trying to get away from someone.

The first time I watched the full dashcam of when Trooper Flores arrived on the scene, and there was Jason’s Nissan Altima, lights still on and I sat there and thought of those precious minutes and hours following and was he still alive and out there to be found?

It's never been stated AFAIK but I wondered when the VFF arrived on the scene an hour after the accident and informed LE, whether he called out to see if anyone answered him. I know he did walk up and down the road a bit but not whether he called out.

I don't believe the trooper showed any concern for the person involved in the accident; right off the bat he assumed the driver was under the influence (which was correct) but he never once thought the driver may be injured only that they fled the scene. He took the blunts found in the knapsack and left the fish and JL's belongings strewn on the road. He didn't find it odd there was obvious signs the driver completely disrobed while walking toward Luling or that they left all their belongings behind including a fish. The only aspect that interested the trooper was the weed. That narrow mindedness is what stalled a more immediate search for the driver.

I get that LE get jaded about certain aspects of police work but a missing driver, possibly injured, on a deserted road that his own dash cam evidence showed he never once passed another vehicle on the way to the crash site, should have given him pause. I presume the other LE who arrived on the scene from the opposite direction also had dash cam evidence of his own to record the remoteness and lack of traffic.

Sunrise in Luling on December 14, 2020 was 7:16:38 am. Twilight started around 6:51:47 am. Even if it had only been a cursory look around (before an organized search was underway) LE could have sent a few LEOs to the area to check for a person or a body. No one was searching for the driver not even hours later when KL arrived.

One thing I read, way back when, is that when JL's clothing and belongings were found his watch was also found. However, it looked like it was placed on the ground with the straps spread outward which suggests a conscious thought rather than just tossed. If that information is true it could suggests that JL wasn't in a confused state, IMO.

I'd like to know whether anyone could give some kind of inventory of JL's clothes that he wore all the time. Surely he had more than a couple of t-shirts or shorts stuffed into a backpack to spend an extended time away from his dorm or his parent's home in Missouri City. Did we ever get a inventory of the contents of the backpack?

From what I can recall when Flores told the parents about the contents of the backpack, he said it contained JL’s wallet with drivers license, his laptop, some gaming equipment and the marijuana in a prescription bottle. I thought the exact same thing that certainly he would've brought more clothes than just what he was wearing because I also assume he was coming in to spend Christmas break with his family. In the interview with Tyler Feller, I remember JL's dad saying that his jacket was left in the backseat of the car.

I totally agree with what you said about the attitude of LEA and you put my feelings into words exactly. It was like the night they found JL's car they just chalked it up to some college kid was smoking weed, wrecked mom and dad's car, fled the scene because it would be a DUI and would probably turn up at a buddy's house by morning. He was honest with the parents when he told them he believed that JL was under the influence of a substance (if I were a parent, I would want to know the truth if my child was using any sort of substance), but you're exactly right as he never really seemed to be concerned about him being injured in the accident. Flores also said he thought that JL kicked out the back window of the car to escape, but in other accounts the back window shattered from the impact of the crash.

I remember feeling this rush of sadness when I watched KL's videos from the morning he arrived at SFR. In the Tyler Feller interview, he said he left at 2:30 AM, so he didn't waste any time leaving the Houston area. He thought there would be people searching for JL, but there was nobody to be found. It was just sunrise on a cold Texas morning.

Last edited:
I guess they might've figured out where the phone was after they had the car towed... maybe the phone's location wasn't important anymore, at that point.
Wouldn't a much better question to Verizon be What were the last X # of pings? Not just focus on the last one. I'd think that would show you the path the car took and would be more useful to investigators than just the final ping (which appears to show the car sitting in the tow lot which was useless at that point). MOO I'd love to see what that would show. I'd think it would show the exact path the car took AND possibly what time the car stopped when it struck the fence. Unless it wasn't sending out signals down SFR.

I went back and watched the beginning of Trooper Flores dashcam video from the night of the accident and noticed something interesting. At approx the 1:57 mark he pulls up to meet the VFF, they have a conversation, the backpack is handed off and Trooper Flores backs up his vehicle and heads in the other direction at around the 18:02 mark. He stops his car at the 19:03 mark when JL's Altima is in clear view. In the beginning of the video he's heading in one direction, but after meeting the VFF he turns around and goes back in the other direction. Is there a chance he would've passed JL's car while on his way to meet the VFF? I looked very closely on the other side of the road before he met the VFF and couldn't see anything. Could the back of the car been obscured from the view of traffic making the accident harder to find? Or am I losing my mind?

Could he have been positioning his vehicle to comply with traffic accident protocol? I've noticed LEO always seem to know "where to park" when working an accident.
I don't know, just brainstorming.

Could he have been positioning his vehicle to comply with traffic accident protocol? I've noticed LEO always seem to know "where to park" when working an accident.
I don't know, just brainstorming.
Brainstorming was exactly what I was doing too! I was thinking that if Trooper Flores passed JL's car on the way to meet the VFF, assuming that he was coming from the same intersection in Luling, heading in the same direction on SFR that JL was heading that there could've been a chance that others could've passed by JL's car but couldn't have seen it. In the report from the Caldwell County Sheriff, I recall something that apparently the VFF came in from the north so he would've seen the front of the car with the headlights making things easier to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024