TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have the ability to watch/listen to video at the moment. Is there any kind of synopsis of the interview or the credentials of the PI available?
Other than (perhaps) this PI's opinion, I don't recall any factual evidence of there having been a 3rd party involved shared throughout these thread either. I do hope that an opinion of a person of unknown credentials who is stating nothing more then some sort of gut feeling isn't going to derail this thread for several pages.
If you check the previous threads, you can find both the PI's names. They both had former experience with the FBI. That's why I gave this some shred of credibility.

If you check the previous threads, you can find both the PI's names. They both had former experience with the FBI. That's why I gave this some shred of credibility.
Thanks. I will go back & check. Do u happen to know if they are offering series probono or if the family or others have hired them?

Names of the 2 ex-FBI in bold.

Anyone with information is asked to call any of the following investigators:

Marissa just released an episode of “The Vanished” podcast that interviews Jason’s parents. You can listen to it here:

Jason Landry

This is a must-listen.

Takeaways:

Jason's home address was entered into Waze.

Dogs hit on water. They've drained ponds more than once.

IMO. Jason may have been knocked out by the crash. When he came to, he may have already been hypothermic. It was bitterly cold that night, serious wind chills. In that state, he could've already been to befuddled to retrieve his phone. Out of the car, hypothermia seems even more likely.

I see only one of two possibilities. Jason burrowed in somewhere, succumbing to hypothermia, and searches have missed him. Animals...

Or his father's second theory. That a driver hit Jason and panicked.

We only know of two drivers on the road that night, the firefighter who reported the car and an oil worker who reported no abandoned car on that stretch. Perhaps there was a third.

If that happened, there's a person out there who needs to do the right thing... a matter of character. Stakes high. Vehicular homicide. Charges, sentence, jail. Loss of job, loss of freedom. For now, that person is free and no one knows....

I think this is a fair possibility.

I think this was an accident.... followed by another accident, that was fatal. Nearly unbelievable but here we are.

JMO

If he was naked, in the road, and got hit....

Someone panicked.

And it would take a tip. Did someone behave strangely the next day? Sell a vehicle? Paint it? Change it, repair it?

Would immunity be enough for a driver to come forward?

I wish so badly for Jason's family to have an answer.

JMO

It's very clear to me (reasonable) that the lost minutes were not due to detour. I think he crashed within 15 minutes of the missed turn and was knocked out. 30+ minutes in a cold car, hypothermia contributed hugely to whatever happened next.

JMO

This is a must-listen.

Takeaways:

Jason's home address was entered into Waze.

Dogs hit on water. They've drained ponds more than once.

I see only one of two possibilities. Jason burrowed in somewhere, succumbing to hypothermia, and searches have missed him. Animals...

Or his father's second theory. That a driver hit Jason and panicked.

We only know of two drivers on the road that night, the firefighter who reported the car and an oil worker who reported no abandoned car on that stretch. Perhaps there was a third.

If that happened, there's a person out there who needs to do the right thing... a matter of character. Stakes high. Vehicular homicide. Charges, sentence, jail. Loss of job, loss of freedom. For now, that person is free and no one knows....

Snipped for RBBM

I've wondered myself in the past if the "oil field worker" possibly could have had a 'run in' with Jason and THAT'S why he claims he didn't see the wrecked vehicle when he passed by. Interesting that Kent has a 'driver hitting Jason and panicking' as his 2nd theory. Things that make you go hmmmm....

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with up about that!

Someone panicked.

And it would take a tip. Did someone behave strangely the next day? Sell a vehicle? Paint it? Change it, repair it?

JMO

I think those would be good questions for investigators to ask the family of the oil field worker since he drove by in the middle of the night to "check on an oil field". Was he acting odd? Does he normally check on the fields around midnight? (seems like an odd time to me) Was there a new dent in their vehicles? Any idea if they sold a vehicle shortly afterward?

Family might know something. Sometimes they even question those very things themselves, and then dismiss them with a 'Nah... so and so couldn't have done that'. That is... until someone like LE/investigators asks them and then it makes them no longer dismiss their own questions and REALLY start to wonder about that very possibility. It also might make them talk if directly questioned, instead of just hoping they'll come forth on their own.

I wonder if the family of that oil field worker was questioned?

Someone panicked.

JMO
For another vehicle to be involved, this would involve running over Jason on the road - leaving biological evidence behind. Dogs were out the following day and the trail for JL left the road and led towards the pond. MOO

IMO. Jason may have been knocked out by the crash. When he came to, he may have already been hypothermic. It was bitterly cold that night, serious wind chills. In that state, he could've already been to befuddled to retrieve his phone. Out of the car, hypothermia seems even more likely.

RSBM

On one hand, Jason took his backpack and other valuables, including his beta fish, and headed south, back towards town. He walked at least 900 ft before abandoning his stuff and clothing. JMO it indicates he was at least clear headed enough to know where to get help.

On the other, he didn't take his phone with him (which might be explained by head trauma/concussion) and then seemingly vanished without a trace.

I do have a hard time trying to imagine his precise state of mind, how impaired he was, what the car crash had done. As well, where he could have gone or been to?

RSBM

On one hand, Jason took his backpack and other valuables, including his beta fish, and headed south, back towards town. He walked at least 900 ft before abandoning his stuff and clothing. JMO it indicates he was at least clear headed enough to know where to get help.

On the other, he didn't take his phone with him (which might be explained by head trauma/concussion) and then seemingly vanished without a trace.

I do have a hard time trying to imagine his precise state of mind, how impaired he was, what the car crash had done. As well, where he could have gone or been to?
His phone was difficult to find - it was wedged down below the seat. It's likely they only found it by calling it (don't know that for sure).

Marissa just released an episode of “The Vanished” podcast that interviews Jason’s parents. You can listen to it here:

Jason Landry
Thanks, @StarEyes for posting the link.

The insight provided by his grieving family so poignant with them providing the comfort instead of them being comforted. What a beautiful gift of faith they gave to their child. MOO

Just finished listening to the Vanished podcast with his family. Man, my heart goes out to them. And I really appreciated his dad's very thoughtful perspective on everything.

Some of my takeaways:
  • Jason had made plans to play online with some of his high school friends that night. He told them that he was going to go home (to his parents' house) and play from there. His parents didn't know he was coming home that night, but were expecting him sometime that week.
  • It sounded like he left later than expected by an hour or two.
  • Waze was giving him directions to his parents' house.
  • They have pings ~every 10 seconds from Waze until two blocks before the intersection in Luling. Then a snapchat message came in and Waze went to the background. Snapchat doesn't location ping periodically like Waze does, so they don't have location data after that.
  • His phone was found between the driver's seat and the center console. It sounds like it would have been difficult to retrieve while sitting in the driver's seat. His dad said he was only able to get it by reaching from the back seat.
  • It was abnormally cold that night. The temperature was below freezing and there were 20 mph winds (his mom described them as 'arctic'). His dad said it was one of the few nights where it definitely would have been possible to freeze to death.
  • His dad said that it appears that there's some reaction between water and one of the hydro-carbon chemicals used in the oil fields that mimics the scent the cadaver dogs are trained on. So those dogs have hit on multiple locations that haven't contained anything. And the petro-chemical smell is so strong in the area that dogs in general can only be used for 10 minutes before they become nose-blind.
  • There is lots of animal activity in the area. His dad said he saw lots of dear and at least one coyote on his drive to Jason's car. He also said that there were many feral hogs in the area.
  • The Caldwell County detective, Jeff Ferry, said that their investigation hadn't uncovered any evidence of 3rd party involvement. He also said that they hadn't found anything that would suggest to them that Jason voluntarily disappeared. He was also very confident that it was a single vehicle accident.

Just finished listening to the Vanished podcast with his family. Man, my heart goes out to them. And I really appreciated his dad's very thoughtful perspective on everything.

Some of my takeaways:
  • Jason had made plans to play online with some of his high school friends that night. He told them that he was going to go home (to his parents' house) and play from there. His parents didn't know he was coming home that night, but were expecting him sometime that week.
  • They have pings ~every 10 seconds from Waze until two blocks before the intersection in Luling. Then a snapchat message came in and Waze went to the background. Snapchat doesn't location ping periodically like Waze does, so they don't have location data after that.
  • His phone was found between the driver's seat and the center console. It sounds like it would have been difficult to retrieve while sitting in the driver's seat. His dad said he was only able to get it by reaching from the back seat.
  • It was abnormally cold that night. The temperature was below freezing and there were 20 mph winds (his mom described them as 'arctic'). His dad said it was one of the few nights where it definitely would have been possible to freeze to death.
  • His dad said that it appears that there's some reaction between water and one of the hydro-carbon chemicals used in the oil fields that mimics the scent the cadaver dogs are trained on. So those dogs have hit on multiple locations that haven't contained anything. And the petro-chemical smell is so strong in the area that dogs in general can only be used for 10 minutes before they become nose-blind.
  • There is lots of animal activity in the area. His dad said he saw lots of dear and at least one coyote on his drive to Jason's car. He also said that there were many feral hogs in the area.
  • The Caldwell County detective, Jeff Ferry, said that their investigation hadn't uncovered any evidence of 3rd party involvement. He also said that they hadn't found anything that would suggest to them that Jason voluntarily disappeared. He was also very confident that it was a single vehicle accident.

I completely agree with the bolded. That area STINKS of petro. There's no way for anyone to smell anything - humans or search dogs - except gas. The odor is overwhelming.

Some of my takeaways:

Thank you so much for sharing all this information, it's a heartbreaking case indeed. My heart goes out to everyone, especially Jason's family.

Nothing I've seen makes me think that foul play or self harm or involved here, although of course anything is possible.

Some of my takeaways:

Also his clothes, down to his underwear, were found along the road.

I believe Jason's dad has the right theory. He went to grab his phone to read the snapchat or dropped his phone, crashed, was disoriented and cold (being extremely underdressed for the weather) and walked towards whatever lights were visible, expired, was scattered by animals and finding his remains will be down to a really good dog or tracker figuring out what direction he went.

I hope he is found sooner than later for his mom. My heart breaks for her.

Last edited:
Jason Landry left home in 2020 and has not been seen since

It’s been 318 days since 21-year-old Jason Landry left his college apartment at Texas State University on his way home for Christmas.

At 2 a.m. Dec, 14, 2020, Kent Landry awoke to the sort of phone call every parent dreads — his son’s car was found wrecked, but his son was missing.

Based on cellphone data, investigators know Jason was using the Waze app, Instagram and Snapchat during his drive. They also found rolled marijuana joints in his backpack at the scene, leading detectives to believe he may have been under the influence and distracted behind the wheel.

Still, three thoughts flooded his father’s mind: Why on earth was his son on this road so far off the main highway? Where was Jason now? And why was no one looking for him?

Capt. Jeff Ferry of the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office is the lead detective on the case and admitted that early on, things weren’t done perfectly.

“There is no inventory conducted. The trooper does not go into the vehicle. The trooper does not place a hold on the vehicle,” he told NewsNation.

Since Jason’s disappearance, there have been seven large-scale searches involving hundreds of people, K-9s, horses, drones — and not one confirmed sign of Jason Landry.

Every now and then, Kent Landry returns to Salt Flat Road alone to search for his lost son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nat Dru