TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We can imagine a million scenarios to try to understand what happened to Jason, but the biggest question isn’t what happened, it’s where is he?

Jason headed home late at night. His estimated time of arrival was in the early hours. I don’t know if he was particularly keen on night driving, but I personally have never set off for my parent’s home very late at night.

He had some cannabis joints on him, do we know whether he had the cannabis at University, or bought some on the way home? If he bought it en route (and rolled some joints so he could sneak out at home for a crafty smoke) and if you’re talking about a fairly small dealer, maybe a friend of a friend, it’s much easier finding them at night than at 10 am. The late drive home may have been arranged around picking up some weed.

In my experience, a large number of cannabis users, particularly those who are younger, experiment with other drugs. Not all, but lots. I think he took some harder drugs, maybe unwittingly and either at University, or possibly when visiting a dealer on his way home.

When someone buys cannabis and you are vaguely familiar with the dealer, it’s usually seen as polite to roll up a joint to share with those you’re with. It’s possible that a joint he was handed was either laced with another hallucinogenic drug, or a very potent cannabis, such as skunk. The people he was with may have thought it amusing not to tell him, or he said he liked skunk, but was nonetheless surprised by its potency.

So he feels a bit odd, so goes via the back roads because he thinks he’s less likely to be spotted by the police. He could be feeling very woozy and tired, even hallucinating, so lost concentration which resulted in the accident.

Realising he would be in massive trouble if caught driving under the influence of illegal drugs, potentially resulting in him being expelled, he decides to leave the scene, intending to return when he’s sobered up. He doesn’t intend to go very far, just far enough to be able to give LE the slip if they discovered the crashed car.

Alternatively, he was injured in the crash, wandered off to find help and succumbed to the cold temperatures. Either way, the area over a very large distance apparently has been checked throughly by various people and organisations.

The placement of the clothes is undoubtedly the strangest thing for me. As no ‘normal’ explanations have solved this mystery, maybe it is something really, really weird. Possibly drug related, possibly head injury related or something so bizarre, none of us have thought of it yet.

But where on earth is he?

Probably in that pond. It's so hard to find people in the water and sometimes they are found years later in a different search, when the place was searched prior. I know they drained the pond - but there is muck in a pond and I don't recall any use of ground penetrating radar (most places don't use it commonly, but I do wish they would in this case).

Sorry post was unclear. I don't think JL was consumed within hours of crashing his vehicle. I think he probably curled up someplace and was not visible to searchers.

No, it’s me. Although we do have a few wild boar in the UK, they don’t eat people, so this is new and horrifying to me. I agree that I think he went a fairly short distance, curled up and probably died from the cold. But there have been multiple searches including Tim Miller’s team Eqqsearch. Could they all have missed finding him? They don’t think so.

SEARCH SUSPENDED: Jason Landry – Caldwell County, Texas (12/14/20)
Jason Landry: Crews use artificial intelligence to help search for missing Texas State student

No, it’s me. Although we do have a few wild boar in the UK, they don’t eat people, so this is new and horrifying to me. I agree that I think he went a fairly short distance, curled up and probably died from the cold. But there have been multiple searches including Tim Miller’s team Eqqsearch. Could they all have missed finding him? They don’t think so.

SEARCH SUSPENDED: Jason Landry – Caldwell County, Texas (12/14/20)
Jason Landry: Crews use artificial intelligence to help search for missing Texas State student
Actually, there are so many that we started a special thread for the many missing that were later recovered in the same area previously searched -- including Tim Miller searches.

Remains Found in Area After LE/SAR Searches

Actually, there are so many that we started a special thread for the many missing that were later recovered in the same area previously searched -- including Tim Miller searches.

Thank you for sharing this. I have a brain injury and sometimes forget things or get confused, so please forgive me if I say things other people already have.

Sadly, we learned about the wild hogs very early in the investigation.

Wild hogs are “opportunistic omnivores,” meaning they’ll eat most anything.

A Plague of Pigs in Texas | Science | Smithsonian Magazine
I'm assuming bones also. But then as you mention about the feral hogs they would also find the buried remains, bones that other animals had scattered. Since the feral hogs are opportunistic. Yes, I remember that now. Thanks.

Sadly, we learned about the wild hogs very early in the investigation.

Wild hogs are “opportunistic omnivores,” meaning they’ll eat most anything.

A Plague of Pigs in Texas | Science | Smithsonian Magazine
But I just thought of something though, in the amount of time it took LE and SAR to start the search wouldn't there be some trace. Or possibly it was quick of the animals dispersing the remains. The reason I wonder about this is because Jason wouldn't have gone very far as physically there would be injuries on his feet and those injuries would have started infecting them sadly. So he may not have felt pain in his confused state (adrenaline) but the physical injuries would have hindered him so IMO he didn't get far.

Sorry post was unclear. I don't think JL was consumed within hours of crashing his vehicle. I think he probably curled up someplace and was not visible to searchers.
The way I'm thinking of what may have happened is as you say that "he would have curled up someplace" but IMO it wouldn't be too far away as I discussed in an earlier post. He would have injuries on his bare feet that would start becoming infected sadly so physically he couldn't go far even though he may not have felt pain in his confused state (adrenaline.) To be clearer he would have curled up not far (in miles) from where his crash occurred.

Just to be clear though there has to be a reason why the remains would have been missed firstly, however. Not disagreeing with you, just adding to what is being said here. If those can be ruled out then IMO there is no mystery otherwise there is.

Just to be clear though there has to be a reason why the remains would have been missed firstly, however. Not disagreeing with you, just adding to what is being said here. If those can be ruled out then IMO there is no mystery otherwise there is.
The fact that there is an entire thread dedicated to remains that were missed after an initial (or even subsequent) search(es), IMO seems to confirm that the reason can vary and is not at all that uncommon. How can you say that you're not disagreeing when you are clearly saying that your opinion disagrees with the previously stated opinion unless they provide more evidence that would already be supported by the link to the thread they had already provided? Sorry if I'm confusing what you're stating or asking here. Similar to your comment, I'm not disagreeing here - just trying to clarify what you're saying and what you're asking and how your interpretation of the precious post must differ from mine.

The fact that there is an entire thread dedicated to remains that were missed after an initial (or even subsequent) search(es), IMO seems to confirm that the reason can vary and is not at all that uncommon. How can you say that you're not disagreeing when you are clearly saying that your opinion disagrees with the previously stated opinion unless they provide more evidence that would already be supported by the link to the thread they had already provided? Sorry if I'm confusing what you're stating or asking here. Similar to your comment, I'm not disagreeing here - just trying to clarify what you're saying and what you're asking and how your interpretation of the precious post must differ from mine.
Yes reasons vary so I don't disagree with that. If the reasons can be ruled out then there is no mystery. Hope that made it clearer what I was trying to say.

Yes reasons vary so I don't disagree with that. If the reasons can be ruled out then there is no mystery. Hope that made it clearer what I was trying to say.
Just to be clear though, I believe you asked in your earlier post: "Just to be clear though there has to be a reason why the remains would have been missed firstly". So IMO, if you're looking for "reasons" why remains could have been missed by search parties, I would suggest that you consult the discussion thread that was cited earlier which is dedicated to that exact topic. The members that have dedicated time to that discussion may be able to better answer that concern that you have. After that, maybe we could continue on with the discussion here?

Just to be clear though, I believe you asked in your earlier post: "Just to be clear though there has to be a reason why the remains would have been missed firstly". So IMO, if you're looking for "reasons" why remains could have been missed by search parties, I would suggest that you consult the discussion thread that was cited earlier which is dedicated to that exact topic. The members that have dedicated time to that discussion may be able to better answer that concern that you have. After that, maybe we could continue on with the discussion here?
Thank you. I will. In Jason's case IDK. I'm only speculating that he must be nearby as you said "crawled up someplace" but close by (IDK how far you may speculate, I'd like to know if you'd like to share). Or even that early on in the beginning his remains may have been scattered or the feral hogs may have eaten the remains. There could obviously be a number of reasons why he wasn't found towards the beginning as you say. In a way I guess here in Jason's case we would like to know "Why?"

Last edited:
The way I'm thinking of what may have happened is as you say that "he would have curled up someplace" but IMO it wouldn't be too far away as I discussed in an earlier post. He would have injuries on his bare feet that would start becoming infected sadly so physically he couldn't go far even though he may not have felt pain in his confused state (adrenaline.) To be clearer he would have curled up not far (in miles) from where his crash occurred.

(bolded by me)
Re: bare feet

This is one example that people can walk barefoot furthur than we would think:

"A woman walked barefoot and soaking wet for 4 1/2 miles on a hiking trail to get enough cell service to call 911 for help after her boyfriend disappeared into a creek in the Oregon Coast range."

Woman hiked miles barefoot and wet to call 911 for help after boyfriend fell in creek
Woman hiked miles barefoot and wet to call 911 for help after boyfriend fell in creek

I have to state that the quality of the searches, number and amount of searches, equipment used and time from being missed to being found greatly varies. In my opinion just because there may be several cases in that thread and that it happens does not mean that this case fits that same mold.

We must remember how they searched for Jason. How many times. Draining of ponds, Texas Equusearch, Texsar, drones and around analyzing software, heat seeking helicopters, etc.
we also messed remember the words by Texas Equusearch. They don’t believe he’s out there.

imho- It’s time that CCSO considers foul play.

(bolded by me)

"A woman walked barefoot and soaking wet for 4 1/2 miles on a hiking trail to get enough cell service to call 911 for help after her boyfriend disappeared into a creek in the Oregon Coast range."

There was a lady in a red evening dress (I can’t remember her name)who was in a car accident in which her husband died and she managed to travel a mile in the snow, minus one shoe. It took a year to find her remains. I don’t know if the alcohol in her kept her going, but I was impressed by this. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t manage to get so far.

If someone were up to no good, could they falsely indicate in Waze that LE were up ahead, and cause people they wanted to carjack or rob/attack to divert off a main road? Was one of my first thoughts when I first read about Waze, which I had not been heard of before Jason’s case.

Having watched the video of Jason’s route, which is pretty creepy even during the daytime, it’s hard to see why he would have kept going for so long down Salt Flat Road, unless he was under the influence and/or avoiding LE, as surely he would have realised quite quickly that he didn’t recognise where he was. There did look as though there were places in Salt Flat Road where one could turn round, but they would be hard to find in the dark unless one was going fairly slowly.

The NewsNation interview with the PI makes me think various things are going to come out about Jason’s life which maybe his family didn’t know. It would be very interesting to know what information being left on the anonymous tip line is leading to the conclusion that third parties are involved.

I hope this means movement!

Investigators offer conflicting theories on missing student Jason Landry

While the sheriff’s department has assumed Landry was alone at the time of the crash, a private investigator wants to know if that is actually the case. He said technology can detect whether someone else was inside the car.

Abel Pena is a former FBI agent who is working the case pro-bono, along with the team at his nonprofit, Project Absentis. After extensive interviews, Pena believes Landry was not alone at the time he disappeared.

Nov 12
There are conflicting reports between a small-town sheriff’s department and a private investigator working on a missing person case in Texas.

While the sheriff’s department has assumed Landry was alone at the time of the crash, a private investigator wants to know if that is actually the case. He said technology can detect whether someone else was inside the car.

After extensive interviews, Pena believes Landry was not alone at the time he disappeared.

Pena said a “tower dump,” or a large-scale request of cellphone records, could greatly help his investigation.

“It provides a trove of information about the cellphones active in that particular area,” he said. “That’s where the mobile towers are at, that’s where they’re located. That information can be used to identify a given individual that was out there.”

Pena said he’s been unable to get those phone records because there has to be evidence of a crime, and without that evidence, they can’t get a search warrant. However, Pena is hopeful that he will be able to get one soon based on circumstantial evidence.

I hope this means movement!

Abel Pena is a former FBI agent who is working the case pro-bono, along with the team at his nonprofit, Project Absentis. After extensive interviews, Pena believes Landry was not alone at the time he disappeared.
I applaud their efforts for the geofence warrant but I don't believe anybody was traveling with JL -- that's a stretch. MOO

(bolded by me)

doubtful… ever walk on untamed Texas earth? One word: goat heads. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member