GUILTY TX - Jazmine Barnes, 7, shot/killed in drive-by shooting, Houston, Dec 2018 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think at this point I will wait for Sheriff Gonzalez to speak at the press conference to fill in the blanks. I’m sorry to jump to conclusions about any intentions of the mother’s description. As i know very well being a minority it is a very different experience in society because you very aware of your race when you step outside of your home. So when things happen for seemingly no reason as an adult it’s always in the back of your head the question was this motivated by race or even gender (like if you are a woman and say you go to a mechanic and feel slighted). Some people are able to suppress the urge to let that take over better than others maybe. Maybe the shooting started at the light while the red truck was next to them and like one user said the daughter could have made eye contact with the person and they didn’t see the suspect behind them. That accompanied with the seemingly random nature could have made them feel it was motivated by race as there wasn’t another answer as to why this happened. I don’t know :(

I’m reminded of Oprah’s experiment ages ago...when she staged the purse snatching I think it was? Do you guys remember that? There were people who were standing in line waiting to get into her show and they were asked to give witness descriptions of the guy and they all said something different. Wasn’t there something about “blue eyes”? Maybe I’m imagining that last part...)

I imagine it could be challenging to remember with it being such a quick incident, etc etc. I’m wondering if descriptions varied.

I agree
When I was at Detective training school we were on the syllabus of identification and recognition.
It was around 1130 in the morning and all of a sudden three men burst into the classroom, all with guns and fired them. They then got one of the trainers and dragged him out of the room.
Obviously it was a simulation exercise and the ‘abducted ‘ trainer knew this . All the cameras were rigged up in the classroom. Then as trainee Detectives ( but having served as Police Officers on the street for a minimum 5 years ), we were asked to write a witness statement as to what happened, putting in as much descriptive detail as possible.
Then armed with our individual statement , the camera was played back to us all. It was amazing what some in the classroom thought that they saw ( but they hadn’t because the camera proved otherwise). So my point echoes that above - we at that time were serving Police Officers trained to observe more than your average citizens and yet we got things wrong, confused etc
And when you are in a highly charged emotional state with the adrenaline pumping through fear and not knowing what’s happening and being so out of your comfort zone, accounts can be given that are simply not accurate. Not because of someone lying, but because they thought what they recalled was what happened but it wasn’t.
If that makes sense.
With the best will in the world, we can all get details mixed up / confused and/or downright wrong but without malice intended. By the way they weren’t real guns !

I smelled something wrong from the beginning when the first sketch came out. Light colored eyes??? smh

Given such a short moment of time for this crime to occur, 99% of people cannot describe the eye color of an individual sitting inside of a car in motion, at night, and in the artificial lighting of a parking lot.
LE should've never allowed that sketch to be released.

I smelled something wrong from the beginning when the first sketch came out. Light colored eyes??? smh

Given such a short moment of time for this crime to occur, 99% of people cannot describe the eye color of an individual sitting inside of a car in motion, at night, and in the artificial lighting of a parking lot.
LE should've never allowed that sketch to be released.

I also reserved judgement on this case. It seemed highly unusual and improbable to me, because the situation seemed like a gang shooting, which is quite common in that area, in addition to the fact that it would have been unusual for a white male to even be in that particular area, at that time.

That being said, it is a tragedy that the little girl is dead, and a further tragedy that people assumed it was a hate crime.

Shot at wrong vehicle....

Were the shooters after the red truck and Jazmines family got caught in the middle?

Were the shooters after a similar vehicle ahead in traffic? Or seen previously that morning?

Or after that specific vehicle thinking someone else was driving?
They thought Jazmine's vehicle matched one from something that happened earlier that night. I dont think the red truck had anything to do with this at all.

"Black, who was driving a dark-colored Kia, said Larry W. spotted Barnes' mother's car and mistakenly took it for another vehicle they encountered the night before."Suspect in Jazmine Barnes' murder shot at wrong vehicle, according to info read in court

In light of all the posts regarding victim difficulties in misremembering / misidentifying suspects it would be interesting to compare the suspect sketch with his actual photo to see how many if any of the remembered details are right. Just wondering about these kinds of things.

Because they didn't see a dark colored Kia?
ETA...do we even know where the Kia was in relation to the victims car?
Did the bullets enter the car from front,back or side?
Seems odd they did not see it -- that is where the shots came from. I wonder how much traffic there was at that time? How many vehicles around them that the red truck was focused on and no other car?

Last edited:
In light of all the posts regarding victim difficulties in misremembering / misidentifying suspects it would be interesting to compare the suspect sketch with his actual photo to see how many if any of the remembered details are right. Just wondering about these kinds of things.
It might depend on the ability of the sketch artist and the ability of the victim to convey details.
I watched a case a while ago about a little girl that had been raped/stabbed and left for dead.
They caught the guy many yrs later and it was amazing how close the sketch was to how he looked at the time of the crime.

Seems odd they did not see it that is where the shots came from. I wonder how much traffic there was at that time? How many vehicles around them that the red truck was focused on and no other car?
I'm sure LE knows the details of point of entry. I think the focus was on the truck because it was right next to them and had moved from the passenger side of the victims car over to the drivers side.Also the other daughter said she had made eye contact with the driver of the truck.
I'm curious about other witness statements.

I'm sure LE knows the details of point of entry. I think the focus was on the truck because it was right next to them and had moved from the passenger side of the victims car over to the drivers side.Also the other daughter said she had made eye contact with the driver of the truck.
I'm curious about other witness statements.
At this point I am doubtful the red truck was even by them. IF there is a red truck at all wouldn't that person have come forward and say he had seen something go down? Time will tell and when the logistics of the bullets is made public maybe some of this will make sense. Tragic that a little girl died because of fools with guns. I will never understand drive by shootings. Makes no sense to me that someone would drive past a house and shoot at it because they think their rival or enemy lives there. The result is little kids watching TV or sitting in their room are shot. Sad sad sad :-(

The two men in the Kia shot at Jazmine's mother's car because they thought it matched a car from some other incident. Even if it had been the car they thought -- they felt it was right or okay to shoot at that car and it's occupants? I don't get it.

Such a tragic and curious case. I’ve had suspicions from the start. Mainly because of the shooting itself. It can’t be that easy to shoot from the drivers side, across the cab of a truck into another vehicle. Nor would it have been that easy to be the driver and shoot at the vehicle behind him.

At this point I am doubtful the red truck was even by them. IF there is a red truck at all wouldn't that person have come forward and say he had seen something go down? Time will tell and when the logistics of the bullets is made public maybe some of this will make sense. Tragic that a little girl died because of fools with guns. I will never understand drive by shootings. Makes no sense to me that someone would drive past a house and shoot at it because they think their rival or enemy lives there. The result is little kids watching TV or sitting in their room are shot. Sad sad sad :-(

The two men in the Kia shot at Jazmine's mother's car because they thought it matched a car from some other incident. Even if it had been the car they thought -- they felt it was right or okay to shoot at that car and it's occupants? I don't get it.
I could be wrong but I thought I had read that independent witnesses had also identified the white male and red truck as suspect.
And then you have to wonder what would be the point of a crime victim making up such a story.
Think of how many hours were spent with the sketch artist alone.IMO

I'm curious about the rental car. Was renting a vehicle something that they did often, or was the reason for the rental due to having a plan for the shooting.
I’d like to know which rental car company he used - I rent a lot and all require a credit card and must be over 25 years old.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back