TX - Jonathan Foster, 12, Houston, 24 Dec 2010 - Mona Nelson charged w/ Murder - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have live streaming of their news show, but right now the Today Show is on. They have local news on at 11 CST so maybe we'll see something then if not online sooner.

Thank you, I couldn't find it on the site...found it I think, says they'll be right back. lol

It's tragic that they didn't put out an amber alert immediately. It's also tragic that AD didn't call the police immediately after the mysterious phone call. In hindsight it's easy to see what the po should have done.

But I can understand why they made the decision they did -- in that if too many amber alerts go out that are unnecessary people stop paying attention to them. I'm frustrated the responding officers didn't send out the alert, but I also feel bad for them. They were given a very confusing conflicting story. I hope they can forgive themselves, because it was not a clear cut situation.

See that is the thing. I expect one of two things. That a parent might think he had 'run off' because the alternative is to awful to bear, LE should know better. Or I expect they may not believe the parents story. In which case it is even more serious because it is likely he is tied up waiting to be killed or dead. LE might think it wasn't a stranger and the bizarre stories of phone calls were to cover their tracks but then again, that means it is SERIOUS. Add the date and I expect police to figure out PDQ that a runaway is the least likely in this scenario. At the very least it should have been given to the news channels as breaking news that night. imo an amber alert but lets say they didn't want to do that. Doesn't mean they don't get it out to the public by calling the news themselves to report it.

And in this case, his appearance!!! He was red haired for crying out loud. Unlike many cases of missing children, just hearing the words on the radio "a missing 12 year old with red hair" would give lots of tips if he had been seen. But remember LE said themselves they didn't want lots of tips :banghead: to much work to go through them all cause many may not pan out. omg. i feel sick again at how he was ignored by police until the monday.

imo

eta
Harris said. He explained that the decision to hold off issuing an Amber Alert for Jonathan until Tuesday evening was a deliberate strategy by investigators.
Police knew that without a vehicle type or suspect description, a vague alert would generate a flood of information, some of it potentially useful, but much of it simply overwhelming, he said."
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5942027"]TX - Jonathan Foster, 12, Houston, 24 Dec 2010 - #3 - Page 14 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Again, I think LE did nothing but the best they could under the circumstances regarding Jonathan's disappearance. LE said they did not have accurate information that was provided to them by those reporting him missing and it muddied the waters. I think there is plenty of blame to go around but it needs to be placed some place other than LE. Jonathan was dead and gone by 6 p.m. after being abducted around 2 p.m. It's not likely they would have even had Mona in their radar soon enough to prevent him from being murdered so I fail to understand how their actions could have prevented this. Even under the best of circumstances, i.e., ACCURATE and TRUTHFUL information being provided to them by those reporting Jonathan's disappearance, it's still not likely that they could have gotten to Jonathan in enough time.

~JMO~

Any tweets or msm updates about the hearing? I'm assuming it's already taken place, but I thought it was at 10am central. I could be wrong, though.

No that was just on the site linked by Prudence under the heading of activity

No that was just on the site linked by Prudence under the heading of activity

Under the "settings" tab is shows that the hearing was a 9:00am CST in court 182.

Attachments

• MN_FA.gif
    MN_FA.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 18
I suspect it would have, especially a child of 12 disappearing on Christmas eve. Of all days of the year for a child to disappear voluntarily it is that day.

Even if they didn't think it was an abduction, surely surely at the least they should have thought he went out and got locked in somewhere, perhaps a shed, fell off something and was to injured to go for help, all sorts of non crime but equally important reasons to work hard and fast to find a child. There should have been a big search that night and since obviously its short staffed then let the public join the search too.

If there is one thing that I am absolutely furious about with LE, it is the 3 days of having it handled by juvenile detectives aka runaway rather than as abduction (if threats were told and i see no reason why not). Whether they believed it or not doesn't mean that a full scale search right that day wasn't important.

Yes I think a child from a wealthy or even well educated background (i.e family who is able to handle LE etc with no checkered history) would have had a whole different response with a missing child christmas eve.

Of all days kids don't runaway!!!!!

We know now they couldn't have saved him but that is not the criteria for searching hard and early. Holidays only make it more likely something seriously bad happened, accident or foul play.

ETA. That whole area should have been ablaze with lights and searchers, the apartment complexes and the streets on Christmas Eve. Media would have had it as front page headlines locally for sure and probably nationally as it is a slow news time by the 25th. And i will repeat, it doesn't matter what they believed about the parents, i cannot think of one scenario that justifies not going all out that evening.

They did a magnificent job once the video fell into their laps after the body was found. The first three days? not so sure. Hope some cops in juvenile division are feeling very sad about their response

I think when AD said she thought he had run away, that might have had the LE less concerned initially. I have a hard time thinking the LE would have acted any differently no matter where he lived. Truthfully, you would be surprised how often kids go missing and they are found down the street at a friend's house -- even on Christmas Eve.

I had a family member run away. The child was 14 and the police came to the house and took a report, put out a bulletin to be on the lookout for him, but it was friends and family that did the search -- not the police. The next day he was found safe and sound in a house under construction by a family member. It was a very scary 24 hours night and not one I would wish on anyone. This was in an affluent Houston suburb.

I think when AD said she thought he had run away might have had the LE less concerned initially. I have a hard time thinking the LE would have acted any differently no matter where he lived. Truthfully, you would be surprised how often kids go missing and they are found down the street at a friend's house.

sbm bbm...

respectfully, ad never told the police she thought jonathan ran away.The police are the ones who thought jonathan could have been a runaway.

snipped http://abcnews.go.com/US/women-charged-death-grader-jonathan-foster/story?id=12500167&page=2 quoting jonathan's gramdma:

"Regardless of how this turns out, my goal is to get the Amber Alert law changed," she said. "There should not be criteria for an Amber Alert that depends on whether cops think the kid has run away.
"The cops kept thinking [Jonathan] ran away," she said.

What I don't understand is if MN was a frequent visitor, how did she not know Jonathan's mother's name was Angela? The phone calls make is sound like she was a unknown to JF and AD.
bbm~that could have been her intention... imo

ETA there is a big difference between mn being known to jf or to the parents or both...we just dont know the truth...jmo

Sure wish we could get word on this court appearance of hers.

Meanwhile, I have been pondering the fact she would "know a lot of evil people" if she has an "alleged history" of trafficking illegals from Mexico and this was supposedly done for 600.00 per person. Maybe JF was not really the initial intended target, but he got in the way when she went to carry out a "possible hit" on either SE, AD or even DD. Perhaps this really is the first time she has done anything this horrific and supposedly got so drunk or high because it was not as easy for her to do as it may appear on the outside. (But then again, she did act rather cool, calm and collected when speaking to the detectives) Could someone have threatened her if she did not carry this out? I also would think she stayed at her sister's home afterward because she could not stand to be at the place where she committed this horrible crime against this beautiful sweet child. I also keep going back to the thing about her not being present at the "probable cause hearing due to a medical condition". I would be very interested to know if she has a drug addiction/alcohol? I have noticed in another high profile case there was mention that a suspect was placed in a medical unit at the jail due to his "medical condition". To me, this means they are having to medicate them or allow them to detox somehow. All my own opinions/speculations here. Sometimes I get the feeling there is just no way one person could do something this horrible, but however, it happens way more than I can even comprehend.

sbm bbm...

respectfully, ad never told the police she thought jonathan ran away.The police are the ones who thought jonathan could have been a runaway.

snipped http://abcnews.go.com/US/women-charged-death-grader-jonathan-foster/story?id=12500167&page=2 quoting jonathan's gramdma:

"Regardless of how this turns out, my goal is to get the Amber Alert law changed," she said. "There should not be criteria for an Amber Alert that depends on whether cops think the kid has run away.
"The cops kept thinking [Jonathan] ran away," she said.

This is exactly why I think it is very important to know WHEN the police knew that someone was threatening JF during the mystery phone calls that AD received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neiljohnsavage