DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Parents of 5-year-old homicide victim have CPS, criminal record

by NOELLE NEWTON / KVUE News
Posted on April 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM
Updated today at 8:08 PM

<snip>

“This has always been so peaceful, a really safe neighborhood. I mean, my friends for the longest time didn't lock their doors at night. It's really sad,” said Natalie Ignacio, neighbor.

Homicide detectives are still trying to determine how the 5-year-old boy died. They believe the boy knew his killer.

Julian's mother, Jessica Salazar, and father, Leonard "Ivan" Soliz, hugged friends and wiped away tears Tuesday morning at a barbecue benefit in Southeast Austin.

They and Soliz's girlfriend Nichole Turner -- who Julian was staying with at the time of his disappearance -- are being questioned by Child Protective Services. Soliz and Salazar told deputies they had not seen the boy several days before he died.
Travis County deputies say Nichole Turner is not a suspect. Nevertheless, CPS has taken custody of her 5-year-old daughter and her 7-month-old boy. Soliz is the father of the boy.
Travis County homicide detectives are asking that anyone who had contact with Julian in the past week call the sheriff’s office. They would like to know the child's demeanor. It could lead them to the child's killer.

more here - including video

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Murdered-boys-parents-have-CPS-criminal-record-90788794.html

Strangers pay respect to 5-year-old homicide victim's memorial

Every day since deputies found a 5-year-old's body in North Travis County, a memorial at the site has grown.

People Wednesday were stopping to pay their respects to Julian Salazar Soliz and add to the collection of toys, cards and flowers.

Travis County Sheriff&#8217;s detectives say they believe Julian knew his killer.

Detectives are talking with family members and close friends. They want to talk to anyone who saw Julian over the past two weeks.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Stra...ear-Old-Murder-Victims-Memorial-90843344.html

Officials asking for help in kindergartner's death

Officials investigating the death of Julian Soliz over the weekend are asking for help from anybody who saw the 5-year-old in the days before his death.

“We want anybody who had seen Julian in the past two weeks to let us know what he appeared like, what his demeanor was and who he was with,” said Roger Wade, a spokesman for the Travis County Sheriff’s Office.

Soliz’s body was found Saturday morning in a grassy patch about two miles from the North Austin apartment where Julian’s father said he lived with his girlfriend. Leonard “Ivan” Soliz said Nichole Turner was caring for the boy at the time.

Deputies have named no suspects in the case, and they have not released information on how the boy died.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...010/04/14/officials_asking_for_help_in_k.html

I just found out about this case. My heart breaks for this little boy.

Dad of slain child may lose parental rights to other son

A state agency has initiated court proceedings in Travis County to decide who will have custody of two children from the home of a 5-year-old boy found dead Saturday.

The first hearing is slated for Monday in the custody case involving a 6-month-old boy and 5-year-old girl, both of whom were taken by Child Protective Services officials from the North Austin apartment where Julian Salazar Soliz had been staying.

A petition filed in Travis County court Monday could lead to termination of the parental rights of Julian's father, Leonard "Ivan" Soliz, 21, and his girlfriend, Nichole Turner, 22, for the two children. Soliz and Turner are the parents of the infant; the 5-year-old is from a previous relationship of Turner's.

The state agency is also investigating the conditions in the children's home, a spokesman said Wednesday.

More: http://www.statesman.com/news/local/dad-of-slain-child-may-lose-parental-rights-565968.html

Police pore over video for leads on 5-year-old's death
Court records show child support dispute between parents of Julian Salazar Soliz.

By Claudia Grisales
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Updated: 12:14 a.m. Friday, April 16, 2010
Published: 9:47 p.m. Thursday, April 15, 2010

<snip>

Roger Wade, spokesman for the Travis County sheriff's office, said investigators are reviewing hundreds of hours of surveillance video from cameras in the Wells Branch area to collect additional information.

"We're thinking outside the box and trying to locate evidence and leads concerning the case, and one of the ways we did that was by going around and looking around for videotape" that may have captured something connected to Julian's death, he said.

Wade said the office has also received some tips and that investigators "are gathering some good information."
In 2004, Soliz and Salazar were at the center of a Child Protective Services probe when Julian was scratched during a tussle between the parents. CPS found that there had been "neglectful supervision" of Julian, who was 3 months old at the time, but the case was closed because investigators thought it was a one-time thing and that the parents realized their actions were wrong, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services has said.

Last year, the couple was involved in a child support fight in a Travis County court. Soliz was the parent who had custody of Julian, according to the court document, which was filed June 9 through the child support division of the Texas attorney general's office.

"The court should order appropriate current and retroactive child and medical support for the child," the filing said. The attorney general's office moved to withdraw the suit in October, and court records did not indicate why.

more here

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/police-pore-over-video-for-leads-on-5-570519.html

I want to know why this little boy was not a school Thursday or Friday? According to the articles, he was last seen at school on Wednesday. Missing on Saturday???

I want to know why this little boy was not a school Thursday or Friday? According to the articles, he was last seen at school on Wednesday. Missing on Saturday???

I hate to think about why little Julian didn't go to school....was he lying in that apartment for days, in pain, before he died? Was he killed after school on Wednesday & not dumped until Saturday?

IMO, there was something very serious going on in the apt on Shoreline for CPS to have already filed to terminate parental rights! (per Idaho's link/post above). We see it so often the surviving children are removed when a sibling dies a suspicious death, but I can't recall recently where CPS moved so fast to terminate rights of both parents.

I think the 5yo and/or the g/f talked about what had been going on...so sad for those little ones. :(

On behalf of the Department of Family and Protective Services, Travis County Assistant District Attorney Anna Lee McNelis filed the court petition in the custody case involving the other children in the home.

"Family violence has occurred and is likely to occur in the future," the document reads. "Petitioner reasonably fears that there is a clear and present danger of family violence."

In 2006, Soliz, then 18, was accused of grabbing Turner, then 19, by the neck and choking her, according to Williamson County court documents. Soliz pleaded no contest to assault with bodily injury against a family member.

Turner and Soliz "knowingly placed or knowingly allowed the children to remain in conditions or surroundings which endanger the physical or emotional well-being of the children," Monday's court filing read.

Van Deusen said the children could be returned to their parents, but that depends on the outcome of the investigations into the welfare of the children and into Julian's death.

Maybe after everything that happened in other missing / murdered children's cases, they are doing things differently now. In previous cases around the country we've seen how children were in abusive homes, and returned time and time again, only to eventually end up murdered or missing at the hands of one of the adults in the household. Maybe Texas isn't willing to take that chance with the other children and they are just trying to prevent a further tragedy...

My other guess is that LE thinks that someone in the home caused Julian's death (that's why they're asking who has seen him, and what he looked like when they saw him..) And they're taking the preventative steps to ensure the other children's safety.

Or TX thinks they have their very own Misty and Ron and they are being careful. (I hate comparing cases... but there are similarities.. GF watching kids... one disappears in the night...) 5 year olds don't just get up in the middle of the night and decide that they are going to take off for a walk down the road.. let alone a 2 mile walk!

It sure does sound like something happened to him Wednesday and that is why he didn't show up to school after that. With the police not talking about the investigation, it leads me to believe that they have much more information than we know. I feel they are just getting their ducks in a row. jmo

This poor child. Did you all see his picture? He looks like an innocent little doll. I'm really getting sick of hearing about these cases of SO's (significant others) of the parent being left to care for their children. Granted, I know there are many wonderful, caring stepparents and boyfriends/girlfriends out there, but it seems like there are just as many that, for whatever reason, resent the child that they are caring for which isn't 'theirs' and end up abusing, neglecting, or even killing the child. Since the girlfriend was the last known adult to be in the company of Julian, and since she was supposedly 'caring' for him, my eyes are on her at the moment. Although I'm confused about where Julian's dad was for a week since he works in town, and why he left his son, his girlfriend's child, and the baby they had together in her care.

Past involvement of CPS, a fight between dad and his last girlfriend during which it sounds like the child got caught in the middle of it and injured. Can parents please put their children first? Enough of this switching of boyfriends and girlfriends and drama and fighting. Focus on your children, please! Is it that important to get laid every night?

Poor Julian. Fly with the angels, baby boy. Another child murdered by the boyfriend/girlfriend of the parent, makes me ill. IMO, JMO, JMOO, etc.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/crime/mourners-gather-for-soliz-prayer-vigil1

"Julian Soliz was an energetic and outgoing child. His grandfahter, Ivan Goree, said the boy was loved by many and his life should not have come to such a violent end."
(snip)

Goree raised Julian's father Leonard from the time he was 5 years old and said Julian and Leonard lived with him off and on throughout the child's short life. The two moved out for the final time just a few months ago.
"He decided that he wanted to move- that he wanted to try his wings - I tried to convince him to keep the baby here but I know what a father goes through," said Goree. "Julian always had a home here- there was not one day that his father did not know that he could bring him here."

Julian also lived with a cousin of Leonard, known to the family as "Van."
"If you meet this child- or if you had met this child- you'd remember him," said Kabrisha Lovett, who raised Julian with her two sons from late 2008 to May of 2009, when Julian attened pre-kindergarten at Perez Elementary.

bbm

:furious: Here are two different people who have safely (AFAWK) cared for this child in the past, but Julian is left for a week with a girlfriend... I'm sorry for criticizing, but I do not see the logic here... It looks like dad and Julian just moved out of grandpa's house a couple of months ago, and assumably, moved in with the g/f. IMHO, not enough time to know someone to watch your child for a week

The interviews I've seen with the Grandfather are simply heartbreaking :(

State keeps temporary custody of kids after 5-year-old’s death

by KVUE News
Posted on April 19, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Two children who were seized from a home after the homicide of a 5-year-old boy will remain in the temporary custody of the Department of Family and Protective Services a judge ruled Monday.

Julian Soliz, 5, was found dead in Wells Branch on April 10, about a mile from the apartment where he had been staying with his father’s girlfriend, Nichole Turner. No arrests have been made.

Leonard Ivan Soliz, Julian’s mother Jessica Salazar, and Turner want to regain custody of two children – a 5-year-old girl and a 7-month-old boy -- who were removed from the home.

A judge ruled that the parents must undergo psychological evaluations. In the next month, a plan will be created for the parents to follow in order to regain custody of the children.

more here

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Stat...of-kids-after-5-year-olds-death-91524689.html

=======================================
State Keeps Custody of Turner's Kids

Updated: Monday, 19 Apr 2010, 10:37 AM CDT
Published : Monday, 19 Apr 2010, 10:37 AM CDT

<snip>

Turner and Ivan Soliz, the father of the youngest child, will have separate supervised visitation.

Turner was 5-year-old Julian Soliz's caretaker; Ivan was his father. The child's body was found last week about a mile from his home.

No visitation will be allowed for Turner's 5-year-old daughter. The court said she needs to go through therapy first before she has contact with family members.

more here

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/top_stories/041910-State-Keeps-Custody-of-Turners-Kids

==========================
CPS retains custody of children taken from 5 y.o.'s caretaker

Monday, April 19 2010
<snip>

Nicole Turner was responsible for taking care of Julian while his father, Leonard Soliz, who was also her boyfriend, was at work.

Turner has two other children, aged 5 years and 7 months old, one of whose father is Soliz. Those children will remain with a foster family.

The state is aiming to take custody away from Turner, and put the children in foster care, or, preferably, one of Turner's relatives who is deemed suitable.
Turner reported Julian missing around 5:30 a.m., after his father had gone to work.

There will be another custody hearing for the children in two weeks. Currently, Turner and Soliz are not allowed to visit the 5-year-old child; they are allowed to visit the 7-month-old for one hour a week.

more here

http://weareaustin.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=59725

=======================================
State Keeps Custody of Turner's Kids

Updated: Monday, 19 Apr 2010, 10:37 AM CDT
Published : Monday, 19 Apr 2010, 10:37 AM CDT

<snip>

Turner and Ivan Soliz, the father of the youngest child, will have separate supervised visitation.

Turner was 5-year-old Julian Soliz's caretaker; Ivan was his father. The child's body was found last week about a mile from his home.

No visitation will be allowed for Turner's 5-year-old daughter. The court said she needs to go through therapy first before she has contact with family members.

more here

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/top_s...f-Turners-Kids

BBM.. RS from Texas Mist

Why?

BBM.. RS from Texas Mist

Why?

Dunno, JLM....is it common for parents to have psych evals?...I've been trying to remember another case where I read that was required and can't....counseling & classes yeah...psych evals, no...maybe it's because it's not mentioned because of HIPAA or something.

Poor kids - sounds like CPS believes they were exposed to some really bad things. :(

<snip>

CPS will conduct adoption homes studies on several of Turner's relatives to determine whether any are suitable to care for the children.

Leonard Soliz did not submit any relatives for consideration, but said he plans to do that.

a little more here but nothing new, IMO

http://news8austin.com/content/loca...-in-julian-soliz-s-home-placed-in-foster-care

'adoption home studies' sure makes it sound as tho CPS is proceeding w/ terminating parental rights. (JMOOOC)

Just got a tweet from KXAN news saying TCSO arrested Julian's dad for a probation violation

ETA

Soliz dad arrested on violation

Updated: Tuesday, 20 Apr 2010, 4:21 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 20 Apr 2010, 4:20 PM CDT

Leonard Charles "Ivan" Soliz - the father of a 5-year-old found dead almost two weeks ago - was arrested on Tuesday for allegedly violating probation, sheriff's officials said.

TCSO spokesman Roger Wade said Soliz had been taken into custody on a motion to revoke his probation, but did not give any details on what the violation.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/breaking_news/soliz-dad-arrested-on-violation

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flapperst