TX TX - Julie Moseley, 9, Mary Trlica, 17, Lisa Wilson, 14, Fort Worth, 23 Dec 1974 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, I have a question.
How much prison time could face a guy who accidentally killed his wife while commiting an act of domestic abuse in Texas then?
What stakes are we even talking about here?
Anything serious, or more like 2-3 years sentence and walking free after doing half of that?

Cause we keep considering scenarios like "something (accidental) happened and she ended up dead so he murdered one more girl and a child" or "he hit her, pushed her, she fell and died... so he murdered a girl and a child"...
Were these stakes even high? Would a guy like that had any reason to believe that he's going to get into some serious trouble for manslaughter or just being violent?

And... here I am, at this point almost certain that TT is not responsible for their disappearance. Too many thigs don't make sense in this theory. With one or two it could happen, but there is much more.
He may be a violent guy, he may be shady, but most reasons why he appears shady and guilty came from A's family statements, from same people who's statements seem to be all over the place.

How many people would go as far as to murder 9 yo kid, cold blood, just because she whitnessed them, accidentally killing someone?
Not many. One moment he's just fighting with his wife, maybe hits her, pushes her, she fells and dies... why murder anyone over it while in this scenario they're prefectly good whitnesses that can confirm that he didn't mean it? And it'd have to happen so fast. So one moment he's in shock over what he just done, and another goes on a killing spree with little girls?
Could it start with premeditated murder? But who's murdering spouses with bunch of whitnesses that need to be murdered also? It's just crazy.

And where it could happen?
At home, where he shouldn't be around noon?
Meeting Rachel, who also wasn't expected to be there at that time?
And then accidentally killing her, despite of not planning to do it, and also while having all the reasons to think that she hasn't arrived there alone?
And after that, right after that he decides to murder two young girls, not at all accidentally?

At unknown location, forcing them to go with him from the mall?
Why not drop Julie and Renee right away, or just leave them there if he's so furious? Why take them anywhere?
It's same thing as with home. One unusual decision + unusual circumstances + accidental killing + instant ability to commit double murder.
Possible, but stretched, very stretched.

At the workshop?
Most convenient location from all the three, but why girls would be there?
They were in a bit of a hurry cause of Renee's plans.
To borrow some money? To pick him up. Certainly possible, the latter may be even likely, but that's yet another pile of unusual circumstances to occur. Cause again: workshop would be open, customers could show up. For TT all reasons to believe that Rachel isn't alone, cause planned trip to the mall. It doesn't make much sense.

The only reason why I went so much into thinking about it and considering possibilities there were... contradicting statements from the A's.

Could happen, but it's just a theory, and it's not like many things point at that. And we know that many things are missing from this story. We know that for sure. For him to be the culprit, it'd have to mean that things that are not available publicly are just not relevant. Relying on those it looks like he did it, but more I'm thinking about it, more cracks I see.

It wasn't him. At this point I don't believe that it could be him. And I apologize for speaking like I were sure that he's guilty, it was just mindset of the moment (many moments) while exploring the theories.

And... here I am, at this point almost certain that TT is not responsible for their disappearance. Too many thigs don't make sense in this theory. With one or two it could happen, but there is much more.
He may be a violent guy, he may be shady, but most reasons why he appears shady and guilty came from A's family statements, from same people who's statements seem to be all over the place.

How many people would go as far as to murder 9 yo kid, cold blood, just because she whitnessed them, accidentally killing someone?
Not many. One moment he's just fighting with his wife, maybe hits her, pushes her, she fells and dies... why murder anyone over it while in this scenario they're prefectly good whitnesses that can confirm that he didn't mean it? And it'd have to happen so fast. So one moment he's in shock over what he just done, and another goes on a killing spree with little girls?
Could it start with premeditated murder? But who's murdering spouses with bunch of whitnesses that need to be murdered also? It's just crazy.

And then accidentally killing her, despite of not planning to do it, and also while having all the reasons to think that she hasn't arrived there alone?
And after that, right after that he decides to murder two young girls, not at all accidentally?

Why not drop Julie and Renee right away, or just leave them there if he's so furious? Why take them anywhere?
It's same thing as with home. One unusual decision + unusual circumstances + accidental killing + instant ability to commit double murder.

At the workshop?
To borrow some money? To pick him up. Certainly possible, the latter may be even likely, but that's yet another pile of unusual circumstances to occur. Cause again: workshop would be open, customers could show up. For TT all reasons to believe that Rachel isn't alone, cause planned trip to the mall. It doesn't make much sense.

The only reason why I went so much into thinking about it and considering possibilities there were... contradicting statements from the A's.

Could happen, but it's just a theory, and it's not like many things point at that. And we know that many things are missing from this story. We know that for sure. For him to be the culprit, it'd have to mean that things that are not available publicly are just not relevant. Relying on those it looks like he did it, but more I'm thinking about it, more cracks I see.

It wasn't him. At this point I don't believe that it could be him. And I apologize for speaking like I were sure that he's guilty, it was just mindset of the moment (many moments) while exploring the theories.
Btw, I have a question.
How much prison time could face a guy who accidentally killed his wife while commiting an act of domestic abuse in Texas then?
What stakes are we even talking about here?
Anything serious, or more like 2-3 years sentence and walking free after doing half of that?

Cause we keep considering scenarios like "something (accidental) happened and she ended up dead so he murdered one more girl and a child" or "he hit her, pushed her, she fell and died... so he murdered a girl and a child"...
Were these stakes even high? Would a guy like that had any reason to believe that he's going to get into some serious trouble for manslaughter or just being violent?
Hello fellow concerned about the trio friends. This is my first post on this site or anywhere else on this matter, please be kind. I have followed this case since the beginning. This was my neighborhood. I frequented SS many times most often to the GC Murphy record counter. I crossed paths with Renee in school. I am saddened that this case hasn't been resolved. I don't have much new to say but here it is: Times then were so different. Most girls didn't report assaults. Abuse wasn't as 'prevalent' or it was not reported or recognized. Girls were taught to not talk about certain things or it would reflect negatively upon them. The area was cross between being a safe place merging into a place of growing kidnappings and murders. I worked near and in Hulen Mall. I personally can vouch for the scary times we faced. I personally was approached by questionable people throughout these years. At 12yo, an adult distant cousin was to take me to the Benbrook Skating rink to his daughter. On the way, he took me to a field at Benbrook lake (location is why i mention it) and attempted to assault me. I escaped the car and headed toward distant lights. He got me back in the car and proceeded to take me to the rink. I assume because he would have to answer to family about me. I told his daughter about the event. Instead of being surprised, she was more curious about what took place. I'm not thinking this was his only offense. I never had to face him again. Don't even know if he's still alive. I also went to SHS. A friend of mine and I were leaving school one day, got in my car and two young adult males blocked my car in. I kept backing my car to the point that they must have thought I would hit them so they moved. They still followed us through the neighborhoods around the school until we found a driveway that went behind a house and we lost them. There were rumors of someone posing as a police officer and pulling over women. These are just a few such cases I experienced. With malls emerging, employees working at one had to go to their cars in the outlying parking lots. These buildings overall had a visual perspective only to the inside of the mall. One co-worker of mine got off work at HM and was kidnapped by a man who was in her car. Fortunately, he let her go when she got hysterical at a hotel room. I don't know if he was caught. Another classmate of mine was brutally murdered just blocks from the house we lived in when I was in middle school. Her suspected murderer is in prison in relation to another assault, but has not officially admitted to hers. We moved to another house in the same neighborhood. So, with all that said. On this case, there were so many things that could have happened. I find the infamous letter could have been staged either by someone close to Rachel or by a stranger. Either way, they were familiar with the area to know about the sub-post office at SS as opposed to someone randomly coming off I35 who was not familiar with SS and grabbing them. I find some family members of the girls behaviors to be strange, but explainable d/t the circumstances. SO, could a stranger kidnap three girls, most definitely. Alone? Most definitely. One could have seen them in the parking lot carrying packages and offered to take them to their car or down to the mall from the car (less likely) and not done so. This is possible especially if that person was posing as a trusted person or just a 'nice' person not necessarily someone they knew. One could have grabbed any of the girls and threatened her with a weapon and ordered all girls to enter a vehicle. Someone could have seen them at the Army store and stalked them. Any one or all of the girls could have been the focus of the event. I know in the discussions 'Virgil' had a sketchy alibi. It also seems IMO that some of the people/suspects who were questioned only had to say, 'I wasn't with them.' and they were dismissed as suspects. In any light of discovery, detective tecniques were not nearly as developed as they are today. As far as the theory that Rachel was killed in her home and the other two were witnesses, I don't believe this. If RW and the 9yo stayed in the car. The suspect could have just gone out and said, Rachel wasn't coming back out and take them home. As far as RW and the 9yo being in the house during an attack, the likelihood of the violence occurring with them present is low. As the suspect, would be being watched. So that's my 2 cents. I pray the answer will be found. Blessing to the families, friends and those who care about these precious girls.

Hello fellow concerned about the trio friends. This is my first post on this site or anywhere else on this matter, please be kind. I have followed this case since the beginning. This was my neighborhood. I frequented SS many times most often to the GC Murphy record counter. I crossed paths with Renee in school. I am saddened that this case hasn't been resolved. I don't have much new to say but here it is: Times then were so different. Most girls didn't report assaults. Abuse wasn't as 'prevalent' or it was not reported or recognized. Girls were taught to not talk about certain things or it would reflect negatively upon them. The area was cross between being a safe place merging into a place of growing kidnappings and murders. I worked near and in Hulen Mall. I personally can vouch for the scary times we faced. I personally was approached by questionable people throughout these years. At 12yo, an adult distant cousin was to take me to the Benbrook Skating rink to his daughter. On the way, he took me to a field at Benbrook lake (location is why i mention it) and attempted to assault me. I escaped the car and headed toward distant lights. He got me back in the car and proceeded to take me to the rink. I assume because he would have to answer to family about me. I told his daughter about the event. Instead of being surprised, she was more curious about what took place. I'm not thinking this was his only offense. I never had to face him again. Don't even know if he's still alive. I also went to SHS. A friend of mine and I were leaving school one day, got in my car and two young adult males blocked my car in. I kept backing my car to the point that they must have thought I would hit them so they moved. They still followed us through the neighborhoods around the school until we found a driveway that went behind a house and we lost them. There were rumors of someone posing as a police officer and pulling over women. These are just a few such cases I experienced. With malls emerging, employees working at one had to go to their cars in the outlying parking lots. These buildings overall had a visual perspective only to the inside of the mall. One co-worker of mine got off work at HM and was kidnapped by a man who was in her car. Fortunately, he let her go when she got hysterical at a hotel room. I don't know if he was caught. Another classmate of mine was brutally murdered just blocks from the house we lived in when I was in middle school. Her suspected murderer is in prison in relation to another assault, but has not officially admitted to hers. We moved to another house in the same neighborhood. So, with all that said. On this case, there were so many things that could have happened. I find the infamous letter could have been staged either by someone close to Rachel or by a stranger. Either way, they were familiar with the area to know about the sub-post office at SS as opposed to someone randomly coming off I35 who was not familiar with SS and grabbing them. I find some family members of the girls behaviors to be strange, but explainable d/t the circumstances. SO, could a stranger kidnap three girls, most definitely. Alone? Most definitely. One could have seen them in the parking lot carrying packages and offered to take them to their car or down to the mall from the car (less likely) and not done so. This is possible especially if that person was posing as a trusted person or just a 'nice' person not necessarily someone they knew. One could have grabbed any of the girls and threatened her with a weapon and ordered all girls to enter a vehicle. Someone could have seen them at the Army store and stalked them. Any one or all of the girls could have been the focus of the event. I know in the discussions 'Virgil' had a sketchy alibi. It also seems IMO that some of the people/suspects who were questioned only had to say, 'I wasn't with them.' and they were dismissed as suspects. In any light of discovery, detective tecniques were not nearly as developed as they are today. As far as the theory that Rachel was killed in her home and the other two were witnesses, I don't believe this. If RW and the 9yo stayed in the car. The suspect could have just gone out and said, Rachel wasn't coming back out and take them home. As far as RW and the 9yo being in the house during an attack, the likelihood of the violence occurring with them present is low. As the suspect, would be being watched. So that's my 2 cents. I pray the answer will be found. Blessing to the families, friends and those who care about these precious girls.
Thank you for your excellent first post and welcome to Websleuths!!

At the workshop?

I agree there are parts of the 'TT did it' theory that are weak, as you have outlined above.

However, I do not think TT can be completely ruled out. He had reasons to be angry with Rachel, his whereabouts for a large portion of that day have never been satisfactorily confirmed, e.g what on earth was going on for three hours from when he received the phone call at the Bowling Alley at 8.00pm and arriving at the Mall at 11.00pm ?? His wife of just a few months had just been reported missing !!

There is also the 'Runaway' Letter and envelope shambles on top of this.

Maybe he is innocent, but I do believe both he and DA know happened those three girls on that afternoon back in 1974. I would like for someone to convince me otherwise in case I am completely wrong.

The only other candidates I have are 'CJG' who I believe was with the girls that day, but I don't think he could drive so I just can’t join the dots on that one. He got onboard westbound 747 (to quote a line from a song from that era) not long afterward, but I think that may have been for his own safety.

Maybe a bad associate of CA(a couple get mentioned in the Gone Cold podcast) ??...but then I come back to the letter and envelope situation, which brings me back to some sort of TT/DA involvement.

I haven't completely ruled out stranger abduction, but some sort of family dispute/domestic violence seems more likely with two girls in the wrong place at the wrong time.

All of the above is JMO with regard to this case, so feel free to shoot a few holes through it !!!

I agree there are parts of the 'TT did it' theory that are weak, as you have outlined above.

However, I do not think TT can be completely ruled out. He had reasons to be angry with Rachel, his whereabouts for a large portion of that day have never been satisfactorily confirmed, e.g what on earth was going on for three hours from when he received the phone call at the Bowling Alley at 8.00pm and arriving at the Mall at 11.00pm ?? His wife of just a few months had just been reported missing !!

There is also the 'Runaway' Letter and envelope shambles on top of this.

Maybe he is innocent, but I do believe both he and DA know happened those three girls on that afternoon back in 1974. I would like for someone to convince me otherwise in case I am completely wrong.
FA, CA & DA's whereabouts have never been satisfactorily confirmed either. To be fair, pretty much nobody's were, except maybe Julie's mom.
It's way easier for me to find explanation for him and these (more 1,5 than 3) unaccounted hours - he may be calling from home, waiting by the phone, looking around outside the mall... there are many relatively reasonable things that a person facing the fact that spouse just went missing can do, and worrying about own alibi and joining others at the place that they're already searching isn't neccessarily the top of these.
What I have really hard time to explain is that gap between FA learning about the disappearance and calling TT. Cause who if not them would be the first people that Renee's parents would call? TT? But he's out bowling. So who can know how to find him better than A's?
But we don't know the dynamic there. It may also be as easy as FA not wanting to bother TT and cause him to be angry with Rachel for being so late in case that girls are just stuck somewhere.

Letter and envelope thing. Writing analysis are to faulible to work as proofs. If he only found it after two days then it's sketchy like hell, but did he? And was he under impression that it is very urgent and LE needs to get it asap, or told to show up with it at their location after Christmas?
DA just called him that cops want it. But A's home was pretty close to T's. Why not drive there immediately if it's so urgent. Why stay at the A's. None of the girls was living there, it was not where the letter arrived. Apparently cops weren't on it hard, like let's go there and check out theit mailbox, let's get that envelope now - so why would he?
It's not fair to expect him to be the most thoughtful of them all, including cops. It is suspicious, but not suspicious enough to zero in on him.

What makes you believe that TT & DA know what happened? What about FA & CA, do you also suspect them of knowing?
The only other candidates I have are 'CJG' who I believe was with the girls that day, but I don't think he could drive so I just can’t join the dots on that one. He got onboard westbound 747 (to quote a line from a song from that era) not long afterward, but I think that may have been for his own safety.

Maybe a bad associate of CA(a couple get mentioned in the Gone Cold podcast) ??...but then I come back to the letter and envelope situation, which brings me back to some sort of TT/DA involvement.

I haven't completely ruled out stranger abduction, but some sort of family dispute/domestic violence seems more likely with two girls in the wrong place at the wrong time.

All of the above is JMO with regard to this case, so feel free to shoot a few holes through it !!!
It'd be interesting to know more about Rachel and Renee. Were they going out alone, or accompanied only by other girls often?
Cause IMO there is a high possibility that they weren't. Renee's parents seemed to be alarmed pretty quickly. Could be cause they already learned that Julie joined them and was supposed to be back home as well, but could be also cause they always wanted to know where she is and with who. And Rachel, being still a highschooler and newly married, she could not have that many opportunities to go out without TT. She didn't have a car of her own. That would mean relying mostly on TT or asking for a drive somewhere.
If the case with both of them, then it could be someone who learned - from them, TT, A's or Rachel's relatives that they have this trip planned and for whom it was a rare opportunity to approach them without any parents or guys around.

Rachel seemed to be quite eager to invite more people. We knew of four. So four at least. Could be just cause she was polite and willing to give them a ride if they wanted to join. Or maybe cause she wasn't feeling very comfortably going out just with Renee, and having others around would set her more at ease?

I'm trying to think of any, even remotely similar, solved case that would not involve a serial killer and keep having hard time to come up with anything. Cause they have a kid with them. It's a lot of inconvenience to deal with a kid while aiming at a teenager, and the other way around. And we're talking 70's. Hundreds and thousands of examples how it wasn't hard to abduct young woman or a kid back then. Not so hard to do it with three people, but much easier with one, especially if the goal is to just kidnap a kid or pretty girl.
Different story if it'd be about specific girl or girls.
Thank you for your insight. That's pretty much how I remember my 80's childhood but still managed to somehow forget to apply that while writing most of my posts here.
But this is elephant in the room. With soulcrashing majority of physical and sexual assaults all it took for an offender to get away with it was to just act like it never happened. In highly unlikely scenario of a girl being brave and naive enough to try to speak up or report it, they were still going away with it saying that girl is lying or/and asked for it - and then she was the one in trouble.

We... I kept assumming that "something" happened, so either some dispute or violence that ended up with accidental death of one of the girls or maybe the goal was to sexually assault one or all of them and murders happened just to cover it up and avoid getting caught.
It's possible like many, many scenarios here, but would it be the mindset of an violent guy or a sexual offender - I'd say yes, but only IF HE ALREADY DID TIME (or suffered some serious consequences) FOR SAME THING BEFORE.
Cause if not, why?
Let's say first time violent outburst. Some dispute, physical violence, no serious harm meant. No need to murder anyone over it. It'd be like 90-95% that absolutely nothing will came out of it.
Same thing but resulting with accidental death of one of the girls. If accidental, it may not even end up with any serious jail time. Who in the right mind, even sociopathic right mind would choose guaranteed death penalty (if caught) over... what it'd be? 2 years at worst? And what kind of "just violent" guy would switch into cold blooded murderer in a blink of an eye? It doesn't happen, unless somehow, something would increase the stakes much, much higher - and even with that guy would be a wreck afterwards.
Not that many people are up for unplanned multiple murders for convenience. Pretty much no one except serial killers and some previously incarcerated with the attitude of "no way, I'm not going down for this again, this time nobody's going to get a chance to speak up".

One more scenario, with girls accidentally whitnessing some serious drug deal or a crime, tightly connected to TT and DA knowing about it but being too scared to speak up for 50 years.
But wouldn't it be much easier to scare these girls than those two? DA seemed to be much more rebelious, running away from bad home situation, staying away without jumping into an early marriage. Rachel was described as "feisty", but she seemed to be doing things more by the book, getting married with parents approval, I'd think that she'd could be much easier to scare and force to keep silence than DA or TT.

I'm talking too much again.
But this is a big thing I think.
The area was cross between being a safe place merging into a place of growing kidnappings and murders. (...) There were rumors of someone posing as a police officer and pulling over women. (...) I find the infamous letter could have been staged either by someone close to Rachel or by a stranger. Either way, they were familiar with the area to know about the sub-post office at SS as opposed to someone randomly coming off I35 who was not familiar with SS and grabbing them.
The letter, it mentions "Seairs upper lot" - and it was said that it wasn't how girls or pretty much anyone, apart from people working at the mall (or possibly being in close enough conntact to one of them to catch that phrase) would reffer to the mall's parking lot.
And it was mailed from the post office at the mall.
Forged by someone who didn't bother at all or didn't bother much with faking Rachel's handwriting.

If we could add to that also the fact that Renee or/and Rachel were rarely going out without parents, adults or TT - then instead of odd, unusual circumstances we'd get rare opportunity to attack in the area where perp would feel comfy and confident.
I don't know if we can, but I see it as likely.

I'd like to know if anyone who could learn about this planned trip from Rachel, Renee, A's, TT, DA, Renee's parents, Renee's boyfriend or Julie's mother was employed at the mall, at the time, sometime earlier, or even working there as it was under construction.

They most certainly could leave the mall with someone they trusted but why would they? Trust is one thing and time is another - and they had Julie, eager to check out the mall with them, and tight schedule.
Going anywhere else could get Renee in trouble. She just got almost engaged to Julie's brother. She likely wouldn't be thrilled with prospect of failing her mother's trust by taking Julie somewhere else without her knowledge and permission.

So... someone posing as an authority figure? Likely.

Could be someone unrelated to them at all.
And that could explain why TT got the letter.
It's highely unlikely that Julie had any documment with her home address on it. Same with Renee. She could maybe have some form of ID with her, but Rachel...
Rachel could have a piece of mail with TT's address on it in her purse, along with something that'd allow random stranger to figure out that TT is her husband.

So here I am again with this utterly confusing timeline.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/missing-in-america/missing-trio-case-remains-unsolved-44-years-after-young-girls-n950306https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/missing-in-america/missing-trio-case-remains-unsolved-44-years-after-young-girls-n950306

Seems like themissingtrio website (now down) is the only sort of official source that claims Julie's mom allowed her to stay out till 6 PM, despite of also retelling "her" story of growing from worried to scared as it turned dark outside - and why that darkness would be concerning at first if her daughter was allowed to be home at 6 PM?
It had to be 4 PM, same time as Renee wanted to be home. It sounds reasonable, but why this sudden 6 PM there?

Julie's mom was at work, not sure till what hour, but probably wasn't home before 4 PM and as soon as she got there, she'd become alarmed.
Renee was staying at her grandma's overnight, and her then-boyfriend describes it as "she had to" spend night there. She was 14. To care for grandma? Or cause her parents were not at home the previous night? If the latter, then it would suggest that they were kind of people who weren't allowing her to be out with some random companions at whatever time. If so, then it'd make sense that a person wanting to kidnap her would see that time as perfect occasion to strike.
And she wanted her boyfriend to join them, he refused last minute so it wasn't like her and Rachel were eager to spend some alone time together.

Multiple sources are telling different stories with Rachel's mom.
Once she's going through the phone book and CALLING every store at the mall asking for the girls, another time she's there with her son, asking in person. One or another? Or both? Calling at first, driving there to ask in person later?

Renee's boyfriend says that he was one of those who stayed by the phone to wait. Was he at Renee's or at his home? And if at least Renee's parents figured that out, weren't there also people at A's home and TT's home, choosen as the ones to wait for possible calls?
And if they figured it out, that someone should be waiting in case of a phone call, why not ask someone to pick up TT? Why not tell him to ask for a ride? What kind of an idea is to ask Debra, who will be the only person at T's home to leave her place to pick him up? Weird decisions or wrong claims?

"Renee’s father Richard, now 79 years old, told Dateline that prank calls became a cruel joke in the years following his daughter’s disappearance.

“It’s been really bad since they disappeared,” Richard said. “We had to get an extra phone in the house because people would be calling and saying it was the girls when it wasn’t them.”

So people were doing it, and not just one cruel weirdo but MANY people. That could explain "Julie" calling her mom in 1975.

Also my point from the first half of previous post was: whoever murdered them was more than likely mentally prepared to do that before he acted and I don't believe that it was some last minute, desperate decision taken to cover something up. Some parts of the cover up may be results of impulsive decisions, but not the abduction and murders.
What stakes could possibly be so high to get one murder three underage girls and risk getting death penalty over anything that wasn't murder? IMO none, or no other that previous conviction for sexual assault and/or abduction.
So either previously convicted rapist who previously got caught cause of the victim's testimonies, or a murderer, ready to go (but also not his first time with at least attempted murder).

In early 70's Tulsa G.L. Hart abducted two teenage girls, assaulted them multiple times, then half buried them alive, bond and gagged, left for dead and did 18 months of prison for it. Then he apparently learned his lesson and the other three little girls he murdered. But from all accounts just an awesome guy, devoted son and all that rubbish. Maybe someone like that is responsible for Julie, Renee and Rachel's disappearance?

So here I am again with this utterly confusing timeline.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/missing-in-america/missing-trio-case-remains-unsolved-44-years-after-young-girls-n950306https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/missing-in-america/missing-trio-case-remains-unsolved-44-years-after-young-girls-n950306

Seems like themissingtrio website (now down) is the only sort of official source that claims Julie's mom allowed her to stay out till 6 PM, despite of also retelling "her" story of growing from worried to scared as it turned dark outside - and why that darkness would be concerning at first if her daughter was allowed to be home at 6 PM?
It had to be 4 PM, same time as Renee wanted to be home. It sounds reasonable, but why this sudden 6 PM there?

Julie's mom was at work, not sure till what hour, but probably wasn't home before 4 PM and as soon as she got there, she'd become alarmed.
Renee was staying at her grandma's overnight, and her then-boyfriend describes it as "she had to" spend night there. She was 14. To care for grandma? Or cause her parents were not at home the previous night? If the latter, then it would suggest that they were kind of people who weren't allowing her to be out with some random companions at whatever time. If so, then it'd make sense that a person wanting to kidnap her would see that time as perfect occasion to strike.
And she wanted her boyfriend to join them, he refused last minute so it wasn't like her and Rachel were eager to spend some alone time together.

Multiple sources are telling different stories with Rachel's mom.
Once she's going through the phone book and CALLING every store at the mall asking for the girls, another time she's there with her son, asking in person. One or another? Or both? Calling at first, driving there to ask in person later?

Renee's boyfriend says that he was one of those who stayed by the phone to wait. Was he at Renee's or at his home? And if at least Renee's parents figured that out, weren't there also people at A's home and TT's home, choosen as the ones to wait for possible calls?
And if they figured it out, that someone should be waiting in case of a phone call, why not ask someone to pick up TT? Why not tell him to ask for a ride? What kind of an idea is to ask Debra, who will be the only person at T's home to leave her place to pick him up? Weird decisions or wrong claims?

"Renee’s father Richard, now 79 years old, told Dateline that prank calls became a cruel joke in the years following his daughter’s disappearance.

“It’s been really bad since they disappeared,” Richard said. “We had to get an extra phone in the house because people would be calling and saying it was the girls when it wasn’t them.”

So people were doing it, and not just one cruel weirdo but MANY people. That could explain "Julie" calling her mom in 1975.

Also my point from the first half of previous post was: whoever murdered them was more than likely mentally prepared to do that before he acted and I don't believe that it was some last minute, desperate decision taken to cover something up. Some parts of the cover up may be results of impulsive decisions, but not the abduction and murders.
What stakes could possibly be so high to get one murder three underage girls and risk getting death penalty over anything that wasn't murder? IMO none, or no other that previous conviction for sexual assault and/or abduction.
So either previously convicted rapist who previously got caught cause of the victim's testimonies, or a murderer, ready to go (but also not his first time with at least attempted murder).

In early 70's Tulsa G.L. Hart abducted two teenage girls, assaulted them multiple times, then half buried them alive, bond and gagged, left for dead and did 18 months of prison for it. Then he apparently learned his lesson and the other three little girls he murdered. But from all accounts just an awesome guy, devoted son and all that rubbish. Maybe someone like that is responsible for Julie, Renee and Rachel's disappearance?
Does anyone know where DeBardelen was at this time? His mother died in sept ‘73 and was buried in Fort Worth. Could he have gone to the funeral and stayed a while at her house after?

It seems everyone around Rachel has murky details of that time. The parents, the husband, the sister, and even the brother to some extent. So it makes me think - what is the one thing all these people might want to protect even over their child/sister/husband?
My opinion is that it is their livelihood. Financially the husband the the father are now joined in the transmission repair shop. The scenario i can see is this: For whatever reason, the girls make a stop at the shop. Tempers flare. Someone strikes Rachel. One of the other girls rushes to protect her and is also hit and the third is also taken out. Even if the killing was "accidental", the parties are afraid the shop would be closed. So everyone goes into protection mode to protect the business since they are all dependent on it.
Or something entirely unrelated happened to the girls and the family and husband are innocent of what happened with the girls, but they are trying to protect something else that they fear might be exposed in an investigation and close the shop and that accounts for the weirdness and vague/changing stories.

FA, CA & DA's whereabouts have never been satisfactorily confirmed either. To be fair, pretty much nobody's were, except maybe Julie's mom.
It's way easier for me to find explanation for him and these (more 1,5 than 3) unaccounted hours - he may be calling from home, waiting by the phone, looking around outside the mall... there are many relatively reasonable things that a person facing the fact that spouse just went missing can do, and worrying about own alibi and joining others at the place that they're already searching isn't neccessarily the top of these.
What I have really hard time to explain is that gap between FA learning about the disappearance and calling TT. Cause who if not them would be the first people that Renee's parents would call? TT? But he's out bowling. So who can know how to find him better than A's?
But we don't know the dynamic there. It may also be as easy as FA not wanting to bother TT and cause him to be angry with Rachel for being so late in case that girls are just stuck somewhere.

Letter and envelope thing. Writing analysis are to faulible to work as proofs. If he only found it after two days then it's sketchy like hell, but did he? And was he under impression that it is very urgent and LE needs to get it asap, or told to show up with it at their location after Christmas?
DA just called him that cops want it. But A's home was pretty close to T's. Why not drive there immediately if it's so urgent. Why stay at the A's. None of the girls was living there, it was not where the letter arrived. Apparently cops weren't on it hard, like let's go there and check out theit mailbox, let's get that envelope now - so why would he?
It's not fair to expect him to be the most thoughtful of them all, including cops. It is suspicious, but not suspicious enough to zero in on him.

What makes you believe that TT & DA know what happened? What about FA & CA, do you also suspect them of knowing?

It'd be interesting to know more about Rachel and Renee. Were they going out alone, or accompanied only by other girls often?
Cause IMO there is a high possibility that they weren't. Renee's parents seemed to be alarmed pretty quickly. Could be cause they already learned that Julie joined them and was supposed to be back home as well, but could be also cause they always wanted to know where she is and with who. And Rachel, being still a highschooler and newly married, she could not have that many opportunities to go out without TT. She didn't have a car of her own. That would mean relying mostly on TT or asking for a drive somewhere.
If the case with both of them, then it could be someone who learned - from them, TT, A's or Rachel's relatives that they have this trip planned and for whom it was a rare opportunity to approach them without any parents or guys around.

Rachel seemed to be quite eager to invite more people. We knew of four. So four at least. Could be just cause she was polite and willing to give them a ride if they wanted to join. Or maybe cause she wasn't feeling very comfortably going out just with Renee, and having others around would set her more at ease?

I'm trying to think of any, even remotely similar, solved case that would not involve a serial killer and keep having hard time to come up with anything. Cause they have a kid with them. It's a lot of inconvenience to deal with a kid while aiming at a teenager, and the other way around. And we're talking 70's. Hundreds and thousands of examples how it wasn't hard to abduct young woman or a kid back then. Not so hard to do it with three people, but much easier with one, especially if the goal is to just kidnap a kid or pretty girl.
Different story if it'd be about specific girl or girls.

Thank you for your insight. That's pretty much how I remember my 80's childhood but still managed to somehow forget to apply that while writing most of my posts here.
But this is elephant in the room. With soulcrashing majority of physical and sexual assaults all it took for an offender to get away with it was to just act like it never happened. In highly unlikely scenario of a girl being brave and naive enough to try to speak up or report it, they were still going away with it saying that girl is lying or/and asked for it - and then she was the one in trouble.

We... I kept assumming that "something" happened, so either some dispute or violence that ended up with accidental death of one of the girls or maybe the goal was to sexually assault one or all of them and murders happened just to cover it up and avoid getting caught.
It's possible like many, many scenarios here, but would it be the mindset of an violent guy or a sexual offender - I'd say yes, but only IF HE ALREADY DID TIME (or suffered some serious consequences) FOR SAME THING BEFORE.
Cause if not, why?
Let's say first time violent outburst. Some dispute, physical violence, no serious harm meant. No need to murder anyone over it. It'd be like 90-95% that absolutely nothing will came out of it.
Same thing but resulting with accidental death of one of the girls. If accidental, it may not even end up with any serious jail time. Who in the right mind, even sociopathic right mind would choose guaranteed death penalty (if caught) over... what it'd be? 2 years at worst? And what kind of "just violent" guy would switch into cold blooded murderer in a blink of an eye? It doesn't happen, unless somehow, something would increase the stakes much, much higher - and even with that guy would be a wreck afterwards.
Not that many people are up for unplanned multiple murders for convenience. Pretty much no one except serial killers and some previously incarcerated with the attitude of "no way, I'm not going down for this again, this time nobody's going to get a chance to speak up".

One more scenario, with girls accidentally whitnessing some serious drug deal or a crime, tightly connected to TT and DA knowing about it but being too scared to speak up for 50 years.
But wouldn't it be much easier to scare these girls than those two? DA seemed to be much more rebelious, running away from bad home situation, staying away without jumping into an early marriage. Rachel was described as "feisty", but she seemed to be doing things more by the book, getting married with parents approval, I'd think that she'd could be much easier to scare and force to keep silence than DA or TT.

I'm talking too much again.
But this is a big thing I think.

The letter, it mentions "Seairs upper lot" - and it was said that it wasn't how girls or pretty much anyone, apart from people working at the mall (or possibly being in close enough conntact to one of them to catch that phrase) would reffer to the mall's parking lot.
And it was mailed from the post office at the mall.
Forged by someone who didn't bother at all or didn't bother much with faking Rachel's handwriting.

If we could add to that also the fact that Renee or/and Rachel were rarely going out without parents, adults or TT - then instead of odd, unusual circumstances we'd get rare opportunity to attack in the area where perp would feel comfy and confident.
I don't know if we can, but I see it as likely.

I'd like to know if anyone who could learn about this planned trip from Rachel, Renee, A's, TT, DA, Renee's parents, Renee's boyfriend or Julie's mother was employed at the mall, at the time, sometime earlier, or even working there as it was under construction.

They most certainly could leave the mall with someone they trusted but why would they? Trust is one thing and time is another - and they had Julie, eager to check out the mall with them, and tight schedule.
Going anywhere else could get Renee in trouble. She just got almost engaged to Julie's brother. She likely wouldn't be thrilled with prospect of failing her mother's trust by taking Julie somewhere else without her knowledge and permission.

So... someone posing as an authority figure? Likely.

Could be someone unrelated to them at all.
And that could explain why TT got the letter.
It's highely unlikely that Julie had any documment with her home address on it. Same with Renee. She could maybe have some form of ID with her, but Rachel...
Rachel could have a piece of mail with TT's address on it in her purse, along with something that'd allow random stranger to figure out that TT is her husband.
When I think of serial killer or abductions of multiple younger people I think of the kids in Australia that were abducted at their trip to the beach. So it definitely does happen!

Is it possible that Rachel went to the Mall to see 'CJG' ? If she goes by herself well then she is for all intents and purposes going on a date with the guy. Hard to talk your way out of that situation if she bumps into TT or someone he knows.

If she bumps into TT or one of his friends when she is there with a group of people including 'CJG', well then they are just a group of people shopping together, no big deal.

Just a thought.

But if it was a serial killer, why is there so much obfuscation and outright misdirection from the family? That's the part I don't understand.
I’m just trying to figure out if he should be counted in or counted out.

I’m just trying to figure out if he should be counted in or counted out.
In a 'normal' situation he would probably be the top of the list.

However the points Valiant has made above and the 'Runaway' Letter put him down the list a bit for me. JMO.

Does anyone know where DeBardelen was at this time?
Realistically: no.
His mother died in sept ‘73 and was buried in Fort Worth. Could he have gone to the funeral and stayed a while at her house after?
He still owned his mother's house in '74. He wasn't living in Fort Worth, but almost certainly he was visiting and doing his 20$ bills scams in early '75 at Fort Worth. The note doesn't resemble his handwriting.

This is how much I remembered from reading earlier threads. I don't recall stumbling on any extensive explanations as to why he's an unlikely suspect here but at least few people who seem to know more about this case than me were leaning towards him likely not being involved here.
On the other hand apparently no scams done by him in Arkansas or wherever on the 23rd of December, he also wasn't incarcerated anywhere then or doing any legal activities that could be traced - and that would be pretty much the only way to be 100% sure that he's not the one responsible.
It seems everyone around Rachel has murky details of that time. The parents, the husband, the sister, and even the brother to some extent. So it makes me think - what is the one thing all these people might want to protect even over their child/sister/husband?
My opinion is that it is their livelihood. Financially the husband the the father are now joined in the transmission repair shop. The scenario i can see is this: For whatever reason, the girls make a stop at the shop. Tempers flare. Someone strikes Rachel. One of the other girls rushes to protect her and is also hit and the third is also taken out. Even if the killing was "accidental", the parties are afraid the shop would be closed. So everyone goes into protection mode to protect the business since they are all dependent on it.
Or something entirely unrelated happened to the girls and the family and husband are innocent of what happened with the girls, but they are trying to protect something else that they fear might be exposed in an investigation and close the shop and that accounts for the weirdness and vague/changing stories.
I was thinking about it before but we don't really know what we're dealing with here on their part. We don't have all of these discrepancies as their quoted statements. Almost all of that comes from various media coverage, and articles (despite of working as valuable sources of information) are not reports. More time passed, more chances people got to hook on wrong facts. And almost all definitely HAVE some wrong facts in there.
I'm yet to see an article where they'd not repeat that girls definitely make it back to the car, cause their purchases from the mall were left at the back seat.
We know for sure that no purchases were there. It's on the tape, local reporters were all over that car, and nothing from the mall is there. No multiple presents. Just one, wrapped one, on the floor behind the passenger seat, and not from the mall it was.
Having that in mind we have to take everythng else with a grin of salt.

I keep trying to make sense out of it and getting frustrated. As I posted sometime ago: the chances that some random internet user will look at the story and notice something that others somehow missed and will end up being responsible for finding new lead or a clue are tiny tiny, almost not there. But they are there... as long as they'd be exposed to the real, factual story (as little of it is publicly available). But they are not. We're mostly dealing with a legend.

According to the info that this legend provides, TT looks responsible as hell, and all A's family like bunch of his partners in crime... but that didn't happen - the legend I mean.

The obvious answer as to why their stories seem to be all over the place would be: misreports, trauma and stress. Stress that came not only from the girls disappearance, but endless string of cruel pranks, false hopes and accusations. Lack of original context can also play a role here.

ImO re: the letter. Written by…. A captive under duress? An accomplice? A family member?
The point of the letter was to buy time by someone who knew about the sub post office at SS.

Is it possible that Rachel went to the Mall to see 'CJG' ? If she goes by herself well then she is for all intents and purposes going on a date with the guy. Hard to talk your way out of that situation if she bumps into TT or someone he knows.

If she bumps into TT or one of his friends when she is there with a group of people including 'CJG', well then they are just a group of people shopping together, no big deal.

Just a thought.
With a jealous spouse, there is no way to talk a way out of situation like cheating on them with a clerk of the opposite sex, during 20 seconds long interaction focused on buying a loaf of bread and saying "good morning" in wrong way.

When we know so little, many things became possible, but it'd be pretty risky business. Group of people, all of which would be nice enough to not mind that date and gladly cover it up for her? Even Julie's 11 yo sister seem like a poor choice, not mentioning her mother.

But what then in this scenario? Would that guy have enough knowledge of the area and a way of transportation to kidnap them anywhere?
And trying to go with rage of jealousy we're stumbling on a fact that it'd have to be unheard of level of madness and rage, to take Julie and Renee. I don't recall ever hearing of anything like that.
I'm not dismissing this possibility, I'm just failing to imagine a scenario that would sound at least sort of convincing to me.

ImO re: the letter. Written by…. A captive under duress? An accomplice? A family member?
The point of the letter was to buy time by someone who knew about the sub post office at SS.
We have verified insiders (family members) who have the least flawed info (apart from investigators who have access to case files). Thanks to them we know that:

1. There is nothing odd or unusual about the postmark on the envelope, it looks exactly like other letters mailed at the same post office on 24rd of December '74.
2. TT, DA, FA, CA didn't have any connection to people working at the post office that is known of.
3. Writing on the envelope was done in pencil, note itself was done with pen.
4. According to DA - she was inside the home, sitting in a place from where she couldn't see the main door.

At some point TT came to her with the note in hand. No recollection of the envelope that we know of.
Then either he told her or she figured that she has to take this note and show it to her (and Rachel's) parents.
DA drove to the
A's home and showed them the note.
If I remember correctly, there were possibly more people there than just FA, CA, RA & DA. They all read the note.
Then FA was first to point out that it doesn't look like Rachel's handwriting.
FA called police to notify them about the note arriving.
An officer or officers showed up at the A's home. Took the note as evidence and asked about the envelope.
DA didn't have it so she called TT to tell him that police wants the envelope as well.

All of that almost certainly happened before noon on th 24th.
With whatever reason officers didn't drove to the T's to get the envelope. Maybe they were thinking about it that much, maybe it was TT who reassured them that he'll hand it to them as soon as he'll find it.
December 26th, TT delivered the envelope to the police station.
In the morning but not first thing in the morning, likely after postman did his route - which may be very relevant or coincidental.

5. "Sears upper lot" is not how Rachel would reffer to parking at the mall.
6. Girls had no known reason to go to Houston.
7. Writing analysis expert concluded that more likely than not TT wrote the note.

Worth to mention that writing analysis is not a definitive proof, but a big possibility.
8. It doesn't look like Renee's handwriting either.
9. DNA was found on the envelope, didn't belong to any of the girls or people available in the database in 2001.

Last edited:
At this point I'd just want to gather as much facts as it's possible, but I got lost in my own notes.
I have to re-read it all once again and figure out:

- If DA, CA or FA confirmed that CA drove TT from and back work on that day? He claimed that for sure but did any of them supported it at any point?
- If credible whitnesses saw only DA showing up in the mall at 11 PM on 23rd or did they saw DA AND TT?

Cause I went totally elsewhere with my thoughts, and then I found my own note, sadly lacking details (like thread number, post number and username) that verified insider wrote that people saw DA showing up at the mall.

It has to make sense somehow... right?
It's not possible that LA heard that:
- one of the missing girl's husband claims that his fil drove him to and back from work while everyone else claims that fil never left the house on that day and got his planned chemo,
- same husband's alibi is that he called his mil few times "from the workshop" so she can confirm that he was there (but how? unless she called him),
- then he claims that after getting a lift from fil he took a shower at home and got another lift from DA to the nearby bowling alley - but she denies ever leaving the house...
(and same claim would mean that he was still at home when Renee's parents were already on high alert, searching, cause past 5:30 PM - and that somehow this obvious call to T's home or A's home to ask about Rachel wasn't made asap)
- his next supposed known whereabouts are 8:30 at the bowling alley, getting call from FA and then it's unknown what he was doing till next morning,
- then, at some point getting claims from FA that she was with TT at the workshop on that day... giving him an alibi but he, with whatever reason denies that
and still go on with 48 years long investigation.

They had to have some better explanations or timelines.
What sense to make out of this?

Maybe he came up with some story, and some members of the A's family agreed on giving him some sort of alibi (either, at first hoping that Rachel ran away and wanting to "help" LE focus on what they saw as the right thing - or just not believing that he could have anything to do with it) but later grew suspicious and backed out of it. He didn't cause changing a story for him would made him even more suspicious, so he kept it, despite of it not adding up with anyone elses.
The tension in the family would grew over time, especially if they didn't all agree on it, just learned that things don't add up later. Lack of trust for LE and some strange family dynamic could prevent them from speaking up any more relevant details.
It'd be interesting to know, from who it came that story about TT & DA being too scared of some almightly scary people? Cause maybe... from him? Like yet another excuse in case that someone will figure out that he wrote the note - as he wrote it, but not to cover up anything, but to protect himself, "and DA"?

The only sense that I can get from FA's claims that she was with him... maybe she grew suspicious of him and by her own idea or somebody elses decided to try that and check if he'll eagerly take it? Cause if he'd, it'd point at him even stronger? But he didn't cause he as well grew too suspicious to do that?

I just can't tell if I can find some sort of explanations for FA & DA's seemingly conflicting statements, but with him there is just too much of that mess. But is it a real mess or misreported?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member