GUILTY TX - Kilgore, 'Lavender Doe' WhtFem 483UFTX, 17-25, in woods, burned, Oct'06 - Dana Dodd

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The woman's family was in East Texas this weekend for a funeral, and to thank all of those who worked to give them closure.

It was a solemn observance at White Cemetery in Longview, attended by Gregg County sheriffs personnel, and Florida members of Dana Dodd’s family. The woman we came to know as Lavender Doe.

"We wanted to bring everybody out and thank them as one, for being part of Dana. Showing the love while we weren't able to find her, they kept her safe and loved. So we wanted to thank everybody. All the years of looking for her, we did not know she was in this part of the country, we thought she was up north," says Dodd's sister Amanda Gadd.

“It’s special to me and the other men and women who came before me on this case. It’s an honor to be here today to see Dana get her name back,” said Gregg County sheriff’s office lieutenant Eddie Hope.

“When we got that first phone call that it could possibly be her it was like breathtaking, she’s not Jane Doe anymore, she’s Dana Lynn Dodd,” said Dodd’s brother John Dodd.

August 2018, Joseph Burnette was arrested and confessed to the murder of the then missing person Felisha Pearson.

And then confessed to killing Lavender Doe.

"Now its all about the justice for Dana," Amanda says.
Family of ‘Lavender Doe’ hold funeral in Longview

Lengthy but well written article. Websleuths and some members are mentioned, also DNA Doe Project volunteers are talking. Lots of new information about Dana and search to find her identity.

What It Means to Name a Forgotten Murder Victim

Thirteen years ago, a young woman was found dead in small-town Texas. She was nicknamed “Lavender Doe” for the purple shirt she was wearing. Her real identity would remain a mystery until amateur genealogists took up her case.

1920.jpg

Found a photo that was mentioned but not shown in the above article. Dana is wearing the “Frick” shirt and her high school best friend, Bobbie, is wearing the “Frack” shirt.

Attachments

• 2C13AC5B-67F9-446B-A552-EAEBEFC43A1F.jpeg
    2C13AC5B-67F9-446B-A552-EAEBEFC43A1F.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 109
Lengthy but well written article. Websleuths and some members are mentioned, also DNA Doe Project volunteers are talking. Lots of new information about Dana and search to find her identity.

Thirteen years ago, a young woman was found dead in small-town Texas. She was nicknamed “Lavender Doe” for the purple shirt she was wearing. Her real identity would remain a mystery until amateur genealogists took up her case.

What an incredibly sad story.

This linked story is also an important read as it highlights the particularly insidious form of trafficking Dana fell into.
Trapped Into Selling Magazines Door-to-Door
For Youths, a Grim Tour on Magazine Crews

Lori, Kevin and Missy, whoever you are here, it is wonderful to see your faces. You're all lovely human beings - thank you for all you do.

"As the DNA Doe Project has solved more cases, the volunteers have recognized they have entered into something far more complicated than reuniting grateful families. Some of the Does had no one still alive to miss them at all. Many had mental illnesses or drug addictions. Almost none had been reported missing.

“In my mind,” Missy says of her preconceptions, “it was the girl next door, with the white picket fence, the perfect household, and the two and a half kids. The mom and dad have great jobs, and the parents go to church on Sundays.” Instead, it was the reality of violent crime in America—where the poor and the marginalized disproportionately make up the victims. These are not the stories that make up the genre of true crime. They are the true story of crime."
This is so beautifully said, yet so sad.

There's a film called American Honey that's about these magazine selling crews that Dana also belonged to.

Last edited:
I finally found Dana's Myspace that they spoke about in the above article. I would link it but Myspace is so old, I don't think it would work. Anyways, here is a photo of her and her dog that she posted. There is another photo of her and the dog on there and the photo of her posing in the miniskirt that they spoke about it the article. I am 99.9% this is her. It looks like the photos confirmed of her anyways.

Attachments

• 300x300.jpg
    300x300.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 109
Shouldn't the thread be moved from Unidentified to Identified ?

Travelling magazine merchants are IMO the quintessential exploitative occupation.
Dana Lowrey's case is similar to Dana Dodd's in numerous ways.
One of the latest missing person cases on NamUs is a woman who worked for one such company.
The section with the circumstances of the case reveals that she was murdered and some of her remains were found and identified.

1920.jpg

it strikes me that she ran into trouble the same way as Shawn Grate victim Dana Lowrey, selling mags. and shared a first name too.

Shouldn't the thread be moved from Unidentified to Identified ?

Travelling magazine merchants are IMO the quintessential exploitative occupation.
Dana Lowrey's case is similar to Dana Dodd's in numerous ways.
One of the latest missing person cases on NamUs is a woman who worked for one such company.
The section with the circumstances of the case reveals that she was murdered and some of her remains were found and identified.

jinx! who was the latest missing person?

Has anyone seen updates on the legal cases? I searched MSM but couldn’t see anything.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back