GUILTY TX - Kilgore, 'Lavender Doe' WhtFem 483UFTX, 17-25, in woods, burned, Oct'06 - Dana Dodd

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
January 29 at 7:00 PM

GREGG COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - The mystery has been solved in the case of an unidentified woman, a murder victim, dubbed by law enforcement as “Lavender Doe.

According to the DNA Doe Project, a humanitarian initiative to help identify Jane and John Does through advanced genetic genealogy techniques, the remains of the woman have been identified. Lt. Eddie Hope with Gregg County Sheriff’s Office confirms that the woman has been identified to law enforcement, but that her identity will not be released to the public at this time due to “the open nature of her case and pending trial.”

DNA leads to identification of Lavender Doe, name not being released

January 29 at 7:00 PM

GREGG COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - The mystery has been solved in the case of an unidentified woman, a murder victim, dubbed by law enforcement as “Lavender Doe.

According to the DNA Doe Project, a humanitarian initiative to help identify Jane and John Does through advanced genetic genealogy techniques, the remains of the woman have been identified. Lt. Eddie Hope with Gregg County Sheriff’s Office confirms that the woman has been identified to law enforcement, but that her identity will not be released to the public at this time due to “the open nature of her case and pending trial.”

DNA leads to identification of Lavender Doe, name not being released

Hmmm, that doesn’t sound quite the same as: “name not released until trial is over.”

And yet another one brought home by the DNA Doe Project! I hope she will find peace.

I don’t really understand why her name is being witheld because of a “pending trial”. But then I’m not very familiar with these things. Won’t her name come out regardless during the trial? Does anybody know if this trial is going to be behind closed doors?

If I recall correctly, he claims to not know/not remember her name? Maybe, in the event of him claiming the confession was coerced, if they could get him to say her name, that could be good evidence - since the name hasn't been released yet, he'd have no way of knowing unless he knew her.

Of course, it's entirely possible that he really doesn't remember her name or never knew it. But that's the only reason I could think of for not releasing her name yet. Other than maybe it complicating the case, depending on who she was. If she led a high risk lifestyle maybe the defence could claim someone else killed her.

If I recall correctly, he claims to not know/not remember her name? Maybe, in the event of him claiming the confession was coerced, if they could get him to say her name, that could be good evidence - since the name hasn't been released yet, he'd have no way of knowing unless he knew her.

Of course, it's entirely possible that he really doesn't remember her name or never knew it. But that's the only reason I could think of for not releasing her name yet. Other than maybe it complicating the case, depending on who she was. If she led a high risk lifestyle maybe the defence could claim someone else killed her.

That’s my point. If there’s any sort of defense at all, they’re going to TRY to complicate the case. And, much as I hate to say it, they have a RIGHT to try to complicate the case, whether it’s with talk of risky lifestyle or current/ex husband/boyfriend.

I don’t know what the discovery laws are in Texas, but I’m pretty sure that if the prosecution knows who the victim is, the defense has a right to know.

My thought is that her name was not released publicly yet only for family sake. Nothing to do with defence.

Family have just found out about her murder, which is quite shocking itself and straight away before they can process this information they also have to adjust for her murder trial happening as well which is always quite traumatic for any victim families. They have to sit there and listen and re-live all those horrific details what happened to her.

Imagine if her name was released now too, that's another extra big pressure from media on them. All this combined is just too much for anyone to handle at the same time.

East Texas officials release identify of Lavender Doe
From the Gregg County Sheriff’s Office

<snipped>

Now thanks to the DNA Doe Project and their supporters, investigators have been able to confirm the identity of Lavender Doe as 21-year-old Dana Lynn Dodd, last known to be living in Jacksonville, Florida.

Joseph Wayne Burnette is currently in the Gregg County Jail awaiting trial, charged with the murders of Dana Dodd and Felishia Pearson. Burnette is also charged with Sex Offender Duty to Register, with his bonds totaling $2,500,000.

iodsfHU.jpg

Photo Source

So now we have her face and name. Continued prayers for her family and justice to be done.

I knew that there was no chance at all that they’d go through a trial while hiding her name.

They investigated her friends and associates, living circumstances, etc. first, but announced it well before the trial.

So sad... It's always very hard to see their real face.
Thank you, DNA Doe Project and Carl Kopperman, you guys are angels on earth... Thank you, LE, who did not stop until she got her name back.

Rest In Paradise, Dana.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay