Found Deceased TX - Leanne Bearden, 33, Garden Ridge, 17 Jan 2014 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You just don't hear about women hanging themselves all that often. So strange. This case is so strange, IMO. From the beginning, nothing has made sense. I think I will hold off, and wait for the official COD from the coroner. It's just so hard to imagine someone who was excited about returning home, and actively looking for a job {FB cover page, interview scheduled for that day} to go for a walk, and commit suicide. I mean, she ended up in someones backyard. Why go there? There were plenty of areas to do it near her in-laws, that were much easier to get to? I just don't get it.

Yes, and hanging is so much more a man's way, along with shooting..

Allot of looking into suicide was done for Genevieve Mary Cormier -
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225966&highlight=suicide+statistics&page=10

From the note:

This makes me wonder if between her most recent conversations with those closest to her, and perhaps from things they've pulled from the computer, there may have been a theme of "I can't do this. I don't want to be here. I think I have to go."

If that's the case, and if she's never attempted suicide before, friends and loved ones would likely read those types of phrases as "I can't do this back to normal, live in the boring USA, 9-5 rat race bit. I'm gonna take off."

Hypothetically, she could have been speaking (or texting/emailing/journaling) in those tones and meant it in a very macro way. I can't do this. (Live. It hurts.) I don't want to be here (Alive. On Earth. It hurts.) I have to go. (I have to stop being alive. Stop being in pain.)

RIP Leanne. I hope those who love her can one day find some sort of peace as well. :(

I can not reconcile this to what her siblings had to say earlier in the week.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/12/leanne-hecht-bearden-update_n_4776484.html

"And there has been no evidence found on her computer"...
"She said, 'I want to come home to my family with lots of hugs and kisses,'" Bearden's sister, Joy Hecht Colombo
"She's very responsible," Colombo added. "She loves her family and she would never put us through this."

Not sure if others are following the race/5K fundraiser page, but, according to their FB page, the family asked them to still hold the race as a memorial/tribute to LB with a balloon release (like in JB and LB's favorite movie UP!). Sounds lovely.

While I know we all try to make sense of things in our own ways, I personally think it's an exercise in futility to try to assign logical planning/behaviors to what a person might or might not do previous to a suicide and to how/when where the suicidal person would do it. Aside from perhaps a person who is choosing suicide as a way to control their death when facing the certain death of a terminal illness, I don't think one can really assume a person suffering suicidal ideations will think/plan in a way considered 'logical' to those of us who have never suffered suicidal ideations.

One person may want to make a statement with how their body is found. Another may prefer and hope never to be found. Another may want to be found, but not by their loved ones directly. Yet another may not be thinking of anything or anyone else except "This is a good spot." :twocents:

BBM.

I sort of agree that someone who commits suicide doesn't WANT to live. But I'll add they often don't want to live at that moment. Because sometimes suicide is a very impulsive, unplanned act (though, as noted, it can be the exact opposite). And sometimes the person does indeed have a 'terrible' life and they're in a 'bad' place and... -- well, there are so many components that it's just not easy to summarize the act or generalize it. JMO.

Oh yeah I agree, it just struck me that's all, but then I guess I was reading posts by people who were discussing it online, which is only a small group. I found reading some of it just terribly sad.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/12/leanne-hecht-bearden-update_n_4776484.html

"And there has been no evidence found on her computer"...
"She said, 'I want to come home to my family with lots of hugs and kisses,'" Bearden's sister, Joy Hecht Colombo
"She's very responsible," Colombo added. "She loves her family and she would never put us through this."

If it turns out she did commit suicide, her family may never be able to reconcile the face Leanne put forward for them, to the truth of the pain she was enduring privately.

If she committed suicide, and planned it, and wanted to be sure she wouldn't be stopped, it would make complete sense that there's no 'evidence' of her plans on her computer. In other words, I doubt she wrote out the words "I want to die/kill myself/I want to be dead/hang myself."

I don't doubt she wanted hugs and kisses from family. And otherwise responsible, thoughtful, loving people do commit suicide, sadly.

Well, I think the point being made is whether the number of women committing suicide by hanging is 1 in 5, or closer to 2.5 in 5, neither of those percentages would indicate it is 'rare' for a woman to kill herself thusly. 20 out of 100 isn't rare. 1% would be what I'd consider 'rare'. :twocents:

Yes, absolutely .. :loveyou:

If you haven't heard this brief interview between Michael Board and Garden Ridge Chief of Police Donna O'Connor, this might help clarify.

http://www.woai.com/onair/michael-board-17319/bearden-final-12065605/

FWIW, I have not read or heard anything about "hanging," though there seems to be speculation based on the reported sighting of someone with a hand saw or hacksaw at the scene today.

The chief makes it clear that without an autopsy she will make "NO assumptions."

I do not think Leanne's manner of death is that obvious and clear. The Chief wasn't refraining from the comment about it without a reason.

Quote Police Chief (during yesterday's MB interview):

(after a long silence) "I don't have any indication that there was foul play at this point."

“I’m going to stand with what I said from the very beginning, there is nothing that leads me to believe that there was foul play at this point.”

She says this in response to MB's question whether there is someone out there who kills women.

To me, the long silence and the fact that she repeats her statement, says something. Of course she can't rule anything out, it would be foolish to rule anything out before the autopsy is done, but my feeling is she is pretty sure in her own mind what happened. imoo

If she did in fact commit suicide, they might have also said, "she would never take her own life." If one thing has been proven to me over and over in life, is that never does not exist. You can't know what is going on is a person's mind. You can think they would never do something, you can think they would never be a certain way...but there is no way to really know. I think part of the problem and isolation of having dark thoughts is the fear to bring them to people, that "know" you would never do this or that.

There is a big difference between 50% and 20%.

All Im saying..

As I think about this, Not that it really matters what I think in the scheme of things here, I think it would be easier if it was an OD, But this way? It just seems so brutal. So I don't know...

KWIM?

I just don't see this.. I don't know her.. But this seems to go against everything she put forth as who she was, What her family said she is, I just don't know.

Honestly, other than the clinically depressed or terminally ill, wouldn't most any suicide be unacceptable and shocking to loved ones? Perhaps even more so, when the person is a high-energy, bubbly sort of person who has always enjoyed life. But for me, the stress of always being that person, especially if you have changed inside, could be extremely overwhelming and distressing.

Obviously, we have to wait and see. But I really hope Leanne was not murdered, particularly in such gruesome, close-up manner. I would prefer she at least had made her own choice.
JMO

BBM.

I sort of agree that someone who commits suicide doesn't WANT to live. But I'll add they often don't want to live at that moment. Because sometimes suicide is a very impulsive, unplanned act (though, as noted, it can be the exact opposite). And sometimes the person does indeed have a 'terrible' life and they're in a 'bad' place and... -- well, there are so many components that it's just not easy to summarize the act or generalize it. JMO.

Following the suicide of a teenaged boy, our priest talked to his entire high school. He likened the crisis this boy faced to being on fire -- you are not thinking clearly -- you jump into the deep end of the pool to put the fire out whether you can swim or not. You aren't thinking that it (whatever crisis the fire represents) will pass or that you can find another solution. Sometimes people just jump into the pool. And others may never know what caused the fire ie what the triggering event was.

I don't know. Very sad regardless of how it happened.

Quote Police Chief (during yesterday's MB interview):

(after a long silence) "I don't have any indication that there was foul play at this point."

“I’m going to stand with what I said from the very beginning, there is nothing that leads me to believe that there was foul play at this point.”

She says this in response to MB's question whether there is someone out there who kills women.

To me, the long silence and the fact that she repeats her statement, says something. Of course she can't rule anything out, it would be foolish to rule anything out before the autopsy is done, but my feeling is she is pretty sure in her own mind what happened. imoo

Reading even further into the Police Chief's tone (I know it's foolish, but just because I keep thinking about it...) it sounded to me like she was saddened and shaken, but not "shocked".

The bottom line from all of this is that, frankly, we do not know anything. We know less than the family, LE and LB herself. All we can do is speculate based on what we have been given. For all we know, LB was extremely depressed, even throughout their trip, despite a smile in every picture. It's torturous to try and project our experiences onto this person who we do not know. I'm guilty of this myself and its sad. All I can hope for is that she is at peace.

Scarlett, I can just feel your sadness about LB right through my computer screen. Hugs to you.

I was talking with my mom yesterday about LB...my mom lives in San Antonio, very close to Garden Ridge and knows that I have been slightly obsessed with the case. She was a little worried about me because of the news.

My mom and I both suffer from anxiety and depression (well controlled on meds) and are both high-achieving, "people pleaser" types. We talked yesterday about how when we are depressed, we spend all of our energy putting on a happy face so as not to burden those around us.

I wonder if LB was the same way. Maybe she just couldn't do it anymore...maybe she was just exhausted.

Ok, statistics are just that: statistics. You could get them from any number of reputable institutions or even from those academia deems unreliable. Either way, the percentage will vary from place to place. I understand this particular case might be of interest vs. National reportings for method of suicide. Look at that former Bachelor star Gia, she hung herself last year. Also, look at Virginia Woolf. She filled her coat pockets with heavy rock and waded out into the water. She was missing for several weeks too (though I know she in fact left a note).

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is be kind with your words. They can come across as unintentionally harsh via the written word, since inflection is not present.

JMO

I don't have any idea what happened here, I'll just wait for the reports, I guess...but I don't think suicide sounds completely out of the question. One time when I was real depressed, I thought about how finding some woods to disappear in, would be easy. I didn't do it of course, but something about walking 'away' until you're ready to drop can be kind of magnetic to a depressed woman. Also, when a woman is real depressed and mentally unstable, she's not thinking about making her family suffer, it's more about feeling like a burden and thinking they will be better off without you. IDK though...I feel bad for saying this because we have no idea what happened, but IMO, the odds lean a little more towards suicide versus murder. Most murderers would be more apt to hide a body, I think. Unless the murderer thought this would camouflage what he did. IDK though, that seems a little farfetched. moo

The bottom line from all of this is that, frankly, we do not know anything. We know less than the family, LE and LB herself. All we can do is speculate based on what we have been given. For all we know, LB was extremely depressed, even throughout their trip, despite a smile in every picture. It's torturous to try and project our experiences onto this person who we do not know. I'm guilty of this myself and its sad. All I can hope for is that she is at peace.

Today I gave a passing thought to the concept that she may have had ideations before embarking on the trip. The trip may have been one thing for her husband (a great adventure, in his mind, at the beginning of their long lives together) and another thing entirely (and secretly) to Leanne. For Leanne it could have been her very real "before I die" bucket list.

Not saying that's the case, but we just don't know. And considering how thoughtful and people pleasing her loved ones say she was, I can imagine a person like that (if she was suicidal) not wanting to burden her loved ones with her inner demons. Or wanting them to stop her or feel responsible for her.

I was convinced that she had run away. Thinking about it now, it's a very similar scenario to what may have actually happened except that I wanted her alive.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbieJ
Back