Found Deceased TX - Leanne Bearden, 33, Garden Ridge, 17 Jan 2014 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ill take the suicide stats from suicide.org not wik.

I don't believe those stats are true..

http://www.suicide.org/suicide-statistics.html

I believe it is more like 20% of womens suicides are hangings.. Not nearly 50.

JMO

You just don't hear about women hanging themselves all that often. So strange. This case is so strange, IMO. From the beginning, nothing has made sense. I think I will hold off, and wait for the official COD from the coroner. It's just so hard to imagine someone who was excited about returning home, and actively looking for a job {FB cover page, interview scheduled for that day} to go for a walk, and commit suicide. I mean, she ended up in someones backyard. Why go there? There were plenty of areas to do it near her in-laws, that were much easier to get to? I just don't get it.

This is the statistics I was talking about earlier. From Suicide by hanging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following quotes are from under the section marked Prevalence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_by_hanging#Prevalence

A 2008 review of 56 countries based on World Health Organization mortality data found that hanging was the most common method in most of the countries,[6] accounting for 53 percent of the male suicides and 39 percent of the female suicides.[7]

It is the second most common method among women, behind poisoning.

[I]The proportion of hangings as suicides in 2005 among women aged 15–34 was 47.2 percent, having risen from 5.7 percent in 1968.[8] In the United States it is the second most common method, behind firearms,[9][/I]

Certainly a lot higher than I thought. It seems to be used by younger women more than older ones.

Suicides are not reported in the media, so unless you know somebody, work in the medical or emergency services, or something like this happens, you just don't become familiar with what happens. While I was looking around online I looked at some of the suicide websites too, and some of the posts by people there were heartbreaking. The thing that struck me the most was that it was not that these people had terrible lives, or that something wasn't working for them, they simply didn't WANT to live, and they seemed to have felt that way for a long time. I came across one post where someone wanted to simply 'go missing' .. this is part of it ..

I just want to end it and cause minimal harm to my family. I dont want them to find my body because this is just traumatic, hell it would be great if they didn't even know I was dead and just went missing.

Very sad. I agree with the posters who say you never know what is going on with someone. I am glad Leanne got to see the world before she left it however. RIP Leanne.
BBM.

I sort of agree that someone who commits suicide doesn't WANT to live. But I'll add they often don't want to live at that moment. Because sometimes suicide is a very impulsive, unplanned act (though, as noted, it can be the exact opposite). And sometimes the person does indeed have a 'terrible' life and they're in a 'bad' place and... -- well, there are so many components that it's just not easy to summarize the act or generalize it. JMO.

I would think if she had something in that bag to assist her, She would take the pack off put it down and then ......

I would not think she would be wearing the back pack.. IMO.

I think if someone is in a mental place where they are climbing a tree to commit suicide by hanging, they aren't thinking about a backpack.

JMO. (Obviously, that's if she committed suicide...since the COD isn't official.)

Every picture I have seen is of a beautiful woman with such a gorgeous wide smile. I hope I can keep that mental image in my heart --- I am so sad.

Linnea Lomax committed suicide by hanging. :tears: Breaks my heart to even type it.

Maybe she put rocks or some think heavy in the backpack. idk

Well, I think the point being made is whether the number of women committing suicide by hanging is 1 in 5, or closer to 2.5 in 5, neither of those percentages would indicate it is 'rare' for a woman to kill herself thusly. 20 out of 100 isn't rare. 1% would be what I'd consider 'rare'. :twocents:

I would think if she had something in that bag to assist her, She would take the pack off put it down and then ......

not all of the reports say she was wearing it

as for statistics well we just have to wait to hear more.

:twocents:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/leanne-bearden-missing-month-found-dead-texas-family-article-1.1614181

This article states that LB was wearing the same backpack she allegedly left with as she was when her remains were located. She was still wearing the backpack.
Wouldn't she take the backpack off ?

But then again, she was apparently very petite. She may have worried that her own body weight would not have been enough, if she did indeed hang herself.

She was found within two blocks of her inlaws home. Authorities did not search that area because family members had already done so. LE typically looks towards the family first in cases like this. I am STUNNED that LE would accept the family had searched that specific area without following up with their own
search.

The Times article cites the KSAT article and here is a quote from the KSAT article:

She was apparently found with the same backpack she was carrying when she left her in-laws house to go on a walk on Jan. 17.

http://www.ksat.com/news/body-found-behind-garden-ridge-home/-/478452/24469154/-/j4188l/-/index.html

If she did choose to take her life...the timing makes sense to me. Maybe she returned from her trip with changed values and ideas of what life should be really be like. Maybe in her mind, her husband was eager to return and she knew she felt the opposite. She may not have seen a way of getting out of getting back into the "fast track" life as the bubbly, out-going Leanne, expected to be eager to show her "home movies", so to speak, about her exciting adventure, when perhaps she was more affected by the lifestyles, perhaps poverty, etc. that she had seen. I can easily see being essentially a different person after a trip like that, but mostly, IMO, people don't want a different person, they want the same person to come back.

And maybe she took the only chance she saw, to be alone and unaccounted for an hour or two, if she had been pretty much in her husband's company since they returned.

The more I think about it, I do not find it as shocking as it first seemed, if she did opt for suicide.

JMO

I am not sure we can count on the reporting to be accurate when it comes to what she was actually wearing. After a month of a body decomposing - I am not sure if the backpack or ring would have stayed on her (??). Since no news article seems to contain a first hand description of the site - it's difficult to know what was near her versus on her. The reports say "wearing" but is that possible after sustaining such a long time in the elements and nature?

I'd take that statement with the same grain of salt you'd take an article that said she disappeared while "out for a run" - LE definitely said they found the backpack with her, and I can see how some journalist just assumed that meant she was wearing it. Or, you know, she could have been. It's hard to tell lazy writing from "inside scoop" sometimes.

The member said they didn't film at all in that area, and the birds weren't in that spot anyway - so it's not that, in the video. The police chief said something similar in the recording Showboat gave us access to... in that area, it makes sense to watch for those signs, sick as it is to imagine as a reality. :(

I keep thinking about the homeowner who found her. He must be traumatized.

BBM
As seniors, I can not imagine this. We live in a heavily forested area and have thought about how a body could go unnoticed here for weeks. Seeing 400-500 feet from the back door to the rear property lines on Fairview Circle would have been difficult with all that undergrowth, trees, etc. I know it would be almost impossible on my property. JMO

These are 10 years old and only reflect the US. The previous link was newer, included the remark that their was a rise in this manner of suicide and was based on suicides worldwide.

This the US...

BBM
As seniors, I can not imagine this. We live in a heavily forested area and have thought about how a body could go unnoticed here for weeks. Seeing 400-500 feet from the back door to the rear property lines on Fairview Circle would have been difficult with all that undergrowth, trees, etc. I know it would be almost impossible on my property. JMO

I agree. I live on four acres of wooded property and if someone went back in there right now and did something I would not find them until I was out this spring with my brush hog or going by on snow shoes (which I do regularly but unless I went right by the spot i would not see a thing at all)

she was found by the outbuilding, right? so perhaps he went out to get something out the building and something led him there (re: smell, etc) sorry to be graphic :-(

This the US...

we do not always fit into statistics. we have to just be patient and see what pans out. I know statistics are great to draw upon but they do not necessarily indicate what happened here. Now that she has been found we can find out where her case falls in US statistics when they determine what really happened.:twocents:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Betty1987
Back