TX TX - Lina Sardar Khil, 3, last seen on playground @ apartment complex, San Antonio, 20 Dec 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am now leaning towards a stranger abduction in this case although less than 1% of child abductions are committed by strangers. Whether the victim is an adult or a child, these are by far the most difficult cases to solve, particularly if the perpetrator was able to make a “clean” grab; no witnesses, no video, no evidence left at the scene.
The difficulty lies in the fact that there are no ties between victim and perpetrator and that difficulty is compounded when the abduction is a crime of opportunity as opposed to preplanned or stalking of the victim. So, without any of the usual investigative leads listed above, where does LE start? By now they have eliminated most of the usual suspects; the RSO’s, the weird uncle/neighbor, the parents, the strange guy who has been hanging around. This is incredibly hard and frustrating for LE. From what I have seen thus far, SAPD together with the FBI and numerous other agencies have pulled out all stops to find this child.
When we hear the term “vanished into thin air”, this it how seems in these cases. Only 8.57% of children abducted by strangers will make it home.

23 Alarming Child Abduction Statistics 2021

I hope I am totally wrong here. I hope LE has a strong POI and great evidence. I hope they are closing in.

I am now leaning towards a stranger abduction in this case although less than 1% of child abductions are committed by strangers. Whether the victim is an adult or a child, these are by far the most difficult cases to solve, particularly if the perpetrator was able to make a “clean” grab; no witnesses, no video, no evidence left at the scene.
The difficulty lies in the fact that there are no ties between victim and perpetrator and that difficulty is compounded when the abduction is a crime of opportunity as opposed to preplanned or stalking of the victim. So, without any of the usual investigative leads listed above, where does LE start? By now they have eliminated most of the usual suspects; the RSO’s, the weird uncle/neighbor, the parents, the strange guy who has been hanging around. This is incredibly hard and frustrating for LE. From what I have seen thus far, SAPD together with the FBI and numerous other agencies have pulled out all stops to find this child.
When we hear the term “vanished into thin air”, this it how seems in these cases. Only 8.57% of children abducted by strangers will make it home.

23 Alarming Child Abduction Statistics 2021

I hope I am totally wrong here. I hope LE has a strong POI and great evidence. I hope they are closing in.
I always highly value your posts Old Cop. Your years of experience and instinct go far beyond my deductive reasoning skills. That said, I'm leaning in a different direction than you, subject to the discovery of more information about the family history, and specifically more about the child and any historical concerns.

I'm still in the red flag camp, but will be happy to be wrong. Dang it, I'm so sick of these innocent kids "disappearing". It seems as if there have been even more during the pandemic, although I don't know if that's accurate.

Amateur opinion and speculation

It is not unusual for a family to search on their own for a missing child for quite a long time, even a few hours, before calling police. There are many cases on WS where that has happened. People can go into a sort of denial where they believe the child will turn up in the area, etc and feel intimidated or embarassed about calling police. It doesn't mean we judge or side-eye the parents. IMO.

I always highly value your posts Old Cop. Your years of experience and instinct go far beyond my deductive reasoning skills. That said, I'm leaning in a different direction than you, subject to the discovery of more information about the family history, and specifically more about the child and any historical concerns.

I'm still in the red flag camp, but will be happy to be wrong. Dang it, I'm so sick of these innocent kids "disappearing". It seems as if there have been even more during the pandemic, although I don't know if that's accurate.

I said, “I’m leaning”. I haven’t fallen off the fence yet.:)
I can also see those red flags flapping in the breeze, @rosesfromangels.
This one is a little harder to read because we can’t sleuth the family, their activities prior to and during the disappearance, and I’m not familiar with the Afghan community in that area. To be honest I have also considered the more unlikely scenarios of revenge for possible government work, or familial disputes.
I think early miscommunication because of language, possible fear of authorities, the parents honest belief that she might be at the home of a friend or family member for innocent reasons, and because of the fact that the mother would not be brought forward to speak because of cultural differences, all lead to a delay in reporting and the increase of suspicion on the part of the public.
(and we WSers).
We need more to chew on to develop more specific theories. MOO

I said, “I’m leaning”. I haven’t fallen off the fence yet.:)
I can also see those red flags flapping in the breeze, @rosesfromangels.
This one is a little harder to read because we can’t sleuth the family, their activities prior to and during the disappearance, and I’m not familiar with the Afghan community in that area. To be honest I have also considered the more unlikely scenarios of revenge for possible government work, or familial disputes.
I think early miscommunication because of language, possible fear of authorities, the parents honest belief that she might be at the home of a friend or family member for innocent reasons, and because of the fact that the mother would not be brought forward to speak because of cultural differences, all lead to a delay in reporting and the increase of suspicion on the part of the public.
(and we WSers).
We need more to chew on to develop more specific theories. MOO
I agree about the red flags, being possibly explained because of language barriers and cultural differences. At first I was suspicious of the time it took to call it in but I do think it can be explained because of circumstances.

I don't believe the pregnant mom did anything purposely to harm her daughter. I do wonder though if there was a family friend or neighbour that was grooming this child... Someone maybe watching and waiting for an opportunity?

It could be a totally random opportunity predator that abducted her but it seems so coincidental that one would happen to be there at that exact moment---yet we know it happens...:confused:

Is there a possible sightline from a window of the family home to the play area? Might it expand toward the path?

If Mom had her in her sights from the home, might she have seen her move toward the path, anticipated her making her way home, busied herself briefly, realizing suddenly that more than enough time had elapsed, for Lina to reach their door?

Opportunistic predator? In my scenario, was Lina on her way home or did something lure her out of frame?

$64,000 questions.

JMO

Is there a possible sightline from a window of the family home to the play area? Might it expand toward the path?

If Mom had her in her sights from the home, might she have seen her move toward the path, anticipated her making her way home, busied herself briefly, realizing suddenly that more than enough time had elapsed, for Lina to reach their door?

Opportunistic predator? In my scenario, was Lina on her way home or did something lure her out of frame?

$64,000 questions.

JMO
$64,000. question indeed. We had battered this about a bit earlier. See post #758 where I included some photos. According to msm the door to Lina’s building was approximately 40 feet from the play area. Unfortunately, we don’t know which building is Lina’s. Several have windows that look down on the play area. Because Lina’s Mom reported her going around a corner down a path, the building I highlighted did fit the criteria, but it could have been another one, too.
That particular walkway had close set buildings and trees for cover, but grabbing a child here and carrying her off raises a huge risk. For one thing, I imagine people were arriving home from work around this time and the parking lots would have more people pulling in. It’s certainly a quandary that no one has come forward to report seeing something, (as far as we know).

It is not unusual for a family to search on their own for a missing child for quite a long time, even a few hours, before calling police. There are many cases on WS where that has happened. People can go into a sort of denial where they believe the child will turn up in the area, etc and feel intimidated or embarassed about calling police. It doesn't mean we judge or side-eye the parents. IMO.

Agree.

I think by "our standards" the reasonable time frame for a child that young would be about 15 minutes. But those are our standards and I don't know what the mom was going through at first. The average American parent would start panicking right away. Look in the usual places and then call police. But our behaviors are based on our emotions through our culture.

I think 60 years though, even in the US, parents would not panic and call the police until they had spent more time contacting friends and neighbors.

When I was 3 in 1959, I went all over on my trike and was a bit of a Dennis the Menace. I was also the oldest and got in my mom's way alot. I already had two younger siblings by then.

If I would have disappeared, my parents would have been, "Where did she go on her trike this time?" "Did she go this far?" (Meanwhile parents are also thinking, "We aren't strict enough. When we find her we're gonna take the trike away for a week")

They would have searched the neighborhood high and low first, which would have taken some considerable time. The thought of a child abduction would have been the last thought on their mind..

Different time and different mindset, even though it was in the USA, it was a different culture in 1959.

Agree.

I think by "our standards" the reasonable time frame for a child that young would be about 15 minutes. But those are our standards and I don't know what the mom was going through at first. The average American parent would start panicking right away. Look in the usual places and then call police. But our behaviors are based on our emotions through our culture.

I think 60 years though, even in the US, parents would not panic and call the police until they had spent more time contacting friends and neighbors.

When I was 3 in 1959, I went all over on my trike and was a bit of a Dennis the Menace. I was also the oldest and got in my mom's way alot. I already had two younger siblings by then.

If I would have disappeared, my parents would have been, "Where did she go on her trike this time?" "Did she go this far?" (Meanwhile parents are also thinking, "We aren't strict enough. When we find her we're gonna take the trike away for a week")

They would have searched the neighborhood high and low first, which would have taken some considerable time. The thought of a child abduction would have been the last thought on their mind..

Different time and different mindset, even though it was in the USA, it was a different culture in 1959.
In taking a virtual walk around that complex, I noted they are on a busy street. That alone must have sprung the parents (and helpers) in to action immediately, IWT.

ETA: If you haven't read the reviews for this complex, do. It sounds like the city needs to send health and building inspectors, in my amateur opinion and speculation.

Last edited:
San Antonio nonprofit joins in search for missing 3-year-old Lina Khil as investigation enters third week

Members of a San Antonio nonprofit organization and several community members gathered Sunday to help locate missing 3-year-old Lina Sardar Khil, as the search enters its third week.

Lina was first reported missing on the evening of Dec. 20 after she was last seen at the Villa Del Cabo apartment complex, located in the 9400 block of Fredericksburg Road. At the time she disappeared, she was wearing a black jacket, red dress and black shoes.

The Eagles Flight Advocacy & Outreach organization and an estimated 150 people in the Afghan community joined forces at 9 a.m. Sunday to search for Lina in the greenbelt area behind St. George Maronite Catholic Church on Babcock Road.

Despite their efforts, Lina’s whereabouts are still unknown. By Sunday afternoon, law enforcement issued a 13th Amber Alert in her disappearance.

Read the rest of the article at the link.

Alright, I just did some more aerial "fly overs", and here's what I see.
There are several sizable patches of wooded area within walking distance of the apartment complex, notably off of Bluemel. There are plenty of search volunteers, and here's my recommendation...
(*Caveat* - I'm an amateur! LE knows what they are doing, and those instructions should be followed, and any volunteer searches need to have LE approval, as well as the approval of the property owner.)

I think you need an on your knees, shoulder to shoulder grid search in these areas:
-Wooded area in front of USAA Gate 6, between Fredericksburg and Bluemel Rd.
-Wooded area behind the Townhomes at Limestone Oaks, off Bluemel Road
-Wooded area between the multiple borders of Elm Road, Lakeview Drive, and Bluemel, to extend to where St. Francis Episcopal church parking lot ends.
*Again, you need LE and property owner approvals to do these searches*

It is incredibly easy to literally step over something and not "see" it outdoors. On the knees, shoulder to shoulder grid search is what I would do.

We have some expert/verified Trackers such as Oriah, and TrackerGD, and I defer to their expertise to validate or refute my suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member