TX - Longview, WhtFem (UP 9863), 41-50, Suicide - Assumed Identity, Dec'10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts are in accordance with yours, except that we don't know how old LEK was when she died, so FLEK may have slipped up and applied for an SSN for a birth cert that ALREADY had a SSN associated with it, and perhaps the deception was not uncovered until she committed suicide and the SSA went to close out the account. Maybe the computer spit out ANOTHER LEK with the same birthday but a different SSN and employment history. In other words, LEK - the real LEK - may have lived long enough to leave traces of her existence. We just don't know, and no one is saying. I don't think that SSA routinely contacts parents listed on the birth certificate when someone dies.
As for the other SSNs, who knows? SSA needs to let some more info out.

I hadn't really thought about that possibility. So, there are 2 possible scenarios:
1) The real LEK had a SS#, but the fake LEK obtained a different SS# when she applied using the real LEK's birth certificate. I would assume it was some type of glitch in the system.
2) The real LEK never had a SS#, so the number that the fake LEK was using was the only one associated with the name LEK.

I also wondered about the name "Lori." Could it be possible that the child's real name was Lorraine, but the fake LEK asked to have "Lori" placed on the SS card? Or could the spelling somehow have been changed...Lorri, Lorrie, or another variation on the middle name?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

I did a little searching and found out that getting the birth certificate of a deceased child was not difficult in the 70s and 80s. People would check the obits and then send a request for a birth certificate based on that info. Apparently it wasn't hard at all.

The fake LEK could have been from anywhere, but I am leaning towards Arizona or Oregon (based on the detectives email).

One more item I wanted to point out...in one of the pictures found online, she was holding a keychain with a dreamcatcher attached....maybe she has some connection with Native Americans???

I hadn't really thought about that possibility. So, there are 2 possible scenarios:
1) The real LEK had a SS#, but the fake LEK obtained a different SS# when she applied using the real LEK's birth certificate. I would assume it was some type of glitch in the system.
2) The real LEK never had a SS#, so the number that the fake LEK was using was the only one associated with the name LEK.

I also wondered about the name "Lori." Could it be possible that the child's real name was Lorraine, but the fake LEK asked to have "Lori" placed on the SS card? Or could the spelling somehow have been changed...Lorri, Lorrie, or another variation on the middle name?

I lean toward #2. If someone went that route and afterwards changed their name by marriage or use, there would be essentially no chance of catching them unless they did something that caused close legal scrutiny, maybe not even then.

Ok so. I just noticed the new photo that has been released. Both photos from the flyer are not for 1990. The second one clearly is because of hairstyle and clothing. I would say imo in the second photo she is on the younger side of 21-30, and I suspect it is another DL photo. The first one, is from 2008-2010. She has the exact same look in the few pics fin found of LEK from a church function earlier in 2010.

So the real girl who stole LEK's id would be younger than that (21), if she has a mp profile at all.

Really looking forward to what else mawt can reveal for us.

What does WU and UC mean on the fingerprints? Is UC 'unclear'?
I'm blanking at what the L in LEK is. Help. Laurie? :(

Hello! I am late to this thread, but agree, it is confusing and interesting! I am going to look around online later this eve and try to let the whole thing sink in since I read it pretty much in one sitting. :). One question if someone could help. When originally reading
the detective's response, I assumed the deceased child she had gotten the ss# of in Texas of 88 ....was originally from Oregon. Was there an additional source that LEK was born in 69 in Scottsdale, AZ?? Or did that info come solely from hubby's obit info about her?

I agree with you all about the new pic being from around 1990 and the mature picture years later. Could the letters be "reproduction"? Both the pics look like drivers license or passport pics to me. Great sleuthing, folks, back soon! ( sorry, I guess officially, that was 2 questions).

My opinions only of course:)

Ok so. I just noticed the new photo that has been released. Both photos from the flyer are not for 1990. The second one clearly is because of hairstyle and clothing. I would say imo in the second photo she is on the younger side of 21-30, and I suspect it is another DL photo. The first one, is from 2008-2010. She has the exact same look in the few pics fin found of LEK from a church function earlier in 2010.

So the real girl who stole LEK's id would be younger than that (21), if she has a mp profile at all.

Really looking forward to what else mawt can reveal for us.

What does WU and UC mean on the fingerprints? Is UC 'unclear'?
I'm blanking at what the L in LEK is. Help. Laurie? :(

http://books.google.com/books?id=0H...w#v=onepage&q=IAFIS fingerprint codes&f=false

Link to IAFIS fingerprint codes, different from NCIC system. WU can mean a number of loops or whirls and UC means that it could not be classified.

The L stands for "Lets not go there".

Hello! I am late to this thread, but agree, it is confusing and interesting! I am going to look around online later this eve and try to let the whole thing sink in since I read it pretty much in one sitting. :). One question if someone could help. When originally reading
the detective's response, I assumed the deceased child she had gotten the ss# of in Texas of 88 ....was originally from Oregon
. Was there an additional source that LEK was born in 69 in Scottsdale, AZ?? Or did that info come solely from hubby's obit info about her?

I agree with you all about the new pic being from around 1990 and the mature picture years later. Could the letters be "reproduction"? Both the pics look like drivers license or passport pics to me. Great sleuthing, folks, back soon! ( sorry, I guess officially, that was 2 questions).

My opinions only of course:)

I have gone back and searched and reread part of the thread but can't find this post with the detective's response. Can anyone help me out on where that was so I can read that again ? TIA :wave:

I have gone back and searched and reread part of the thread but can't find this post with the detective's response. Can anyone help me out on where that was so I can read that again ? TIA :wave:

Start at post #388. hth!

Anyone in the yearbooks that looks like FLEK? Now that might REALLY be a fruitful pursuit.

There were a half a dozen or so that I ran by Carl, but none were a match. I'm searching through the yearbooks now. They've added some since I last searched.

Oh, and the real LEK was a freshman in Glendale in '82.

ETA there are a LOT of high schools in Scottsdale.

part of our dancing around the real LEK is that we are getting people confused.

I did another search at ancestry for a L--- K------ from AZ, omitting specific reference to Scottsdale. there are more than one. there was an LK in the Cactus HS yearbook in Glendale in 1982. it is not perfectly clear, but I think she was a junior in that year which makes her too old to be our LEK. although if you find that yearbook, the girl pictured immediately above that LK looks like a younger version of our imposter. (initials K.J.)

NCSleuth, in the Scottsdale yearbook I saw from 1987, I did not see any girl two to the left of that LK.

ETA - KJ, I did a quick people finder search for the woman who is above the LK in that yearbook and there is a 45 y.o. woman by that name living in the greater Phoenix area so I am assuming that there is no connection between her and our imposter.

part of our dancing around the real LEK is that we are getting people confused.

I did another search at ancestry for a L--- K------ from AZ, omitting specific reference to Scottsdale. there are more than one. there was an LK in the Cactus HS yearbook in Glendale in 1982. it is not perfectly clear, but I think she was a junior in that year which makes her too old to be our LEK. although if you find that yearbook, the girl pictured immediately above that LK looks like a younger version of our imposter. (initials K.J.)

NCSleuth, in the Scottsdale yearbook I saw from 1987, I did not see any girl two to the left of that LK.

ETA - KJ, I did a quick people finder search for the woman who is above the LK in that yearbook and there is a 45 y.o. woman by that name living in the greater Phoenix area so I am assuming that there is no connection between her and our imposter.

Sorry, I was referring to the 82 yearbook. I believe in the 82 yearbook, that L_K was a freshman. look two to the right, initials TK.

Freshman in 82 would still be off by at least one year though, probably two.

I found this LEK a few days ago too. Did you notice the girl two over from LEK in the yearbook? To me, she looks a lot like the FLEK.
Hmmmm....Moderator, would it be permissible for NCSleuth to post the pic of the potential FLEK from the yearbook on here? I'd love to see her. Does her nose curve to her left?

I have been looking through yearbooks and I think wasting my time. The office of inspector general says "SSA/OIG is conducting a criminal investigation into ID Theft of a deceased child."
I don't think we will find the real LEK in a high school yearbook. I think the real LEK was dead before high school. That's how she got away with it for so long. If the real LEK was still living with the same birthdate, there would have been a problem before now. She lived as LEK from at least 1988 until 2010. Thats 22 years! the real LEK almost has to be deceased.

I have been looking through yearbooks and I think wasting my time. The office of inspector general says "SSA/OIG is conducting a criminal investigation into ID Theft of a deceased child."
I don't think we will find the real LEK in a high school yearbook. I think the real LEK was dead before high school. That's how she got away with it for so long. If the real LEK was still living with the same birthdate, there would have been a problem before now. She lived as LEK from at least 1988 until 2010. Thats 22 years! the real LEK almost has to be deceased.

Probably correct but I'd still like to see the pic of the woman in that yearbook, just to be thorough.

There shouldn't be too much question if one of you do run across a picture of the real her. The pics on namus are at least 15 years apart and you can easily tell it's the same person. Eyebrows, ears the same amount of visible on the side of the head, and while it's not visible in the newer pic b/c of the turtleneck, if you google image search LER there are 7-8 pics of her and in some of them the thingy on her neck that sticks out is visible.

anyone have an ancestry membership?
If you google search EK (middle name) and scottsdale the fifth result down is for a private tree containing info about LEK Born: 1969 in Scottsdale, Maricopa, Arizona, USA.

You will also find attached to this person
3 attached records
3 sources
3 attached photos
19 people in this member tree

Also has person to contact.

Hmmmm....Moderator, would it be permissible for NCSleuth to post the pic of the potential FLEK from the yearbook on here? I'd love to see her. Does her nose curve to her left?

I took a look again at LK, Junior from Cactus HS 1982 book you are talking about, and the girl TK two photos to the right of her. The book is in Ancestry, but not in Classmates.

Neither of them are FLEK.

In addition to the narrow nose, you would be able to spot her by the sharply hooking shape of her eyebrows. Her eyebrows are the same shape in both her younger and older photos. I know that comparing eyebrows are not precise, as women pluck and trim their eyebrows, but even shaped eyebrows must remain within reasonable bounds of their natural shape.

IMO, Cactus LK's bears no resemblance to FLEK. And her eyebrows flare much higher at the outsides, and don't wrap around her eyes the way FLEK's do. There is no way that you could get from one to the other by plucking and shaping. She would have to shave them and draw them back in.

The other girl TK two photos to the right does look a little closer, but she has a much broader face IMO. Her hair covers her eyebrows, so you can't completely compare, but it doesn't look like they wrap around her eyes as closely either.

I took a look again at LK, Junior from Cactus HS 1982 book you are talking about, and the girl TK two photos to the right of her. The book is in Ancestry, but not in Classmates.

Neither of them are FLEK.

In addition to the narrow nose, you would be able to spot her by the sharply hooking shape of her eyebrows. Her eyebrows are the same shape in both her younger and older photos. I know that comparing eyebrows are not precise, as women pluck and trim their eyebrows, but even shaped eyebrows must remain within reasonable bounds of their natural shape.

IMO, Cactus LK's bears no resemblance to FLEK. And her eyebrows flare much higher at the outsides, and don't wrap around her eyes the way FLEK's do. There is no way that you could get from one to the other by plucking and shaping. She would have to shave them and draw them back in.

The other girl TK two photos to the right does look a little closer, but she has a much broader face IMO. Her hair covers her eyebrows, so you can't completely compare, but it doesn't look like they wrap around her eyes as closely either.

That's OK, another blind alley but that is one more person who has been looked at. LEK is a common enough name, there are quite a few of them around. Wo don't know Cactus LK's middle initial anyway.
As I have said before, we never seem to be seeking an Ignatz Tiberius Schmidlapp or something, always a John Smith or William Miller.

There shouldn't be too much question if one of you do run across a picture of the real her. The pics on namus are at least 15 years apart and you can easily tell it's the same person. Eyebrows, ears the same amount of visible on the side of the head, and while it's not visible in the newer pic b/c of the turtleneck, if you google image search LER there are 7-8 pics of her and in some of them the thingy on her neck that sticks out is visible.

anyone have an ancestry membership?
If you google search EK (middle name) and scottsdale the fifth result down is for a private tree containing info about LEK Born: 1969 in Scottsdale, Maricopa, Arizona, USA.

You will also find attached to this person
3 attached records
3 sources
3 attached photos
19 people in this member tree

Also has person to contact.

Hi, I saw that a few days ago. I finally got up the nerve contact this person. Lets see if she is able to shed an light on the subject. I hope its not someone in FLEK's family that would be offended.

Hi, I saw that a few days ago. I finally got up the nerve contact this person. Lets see if she is able to shed an light on the subject. I hope its not someone in FLEK's family that would be offended.

I saw that info on Ancestry a few nights ago. I was not hopeful as one portrait is dated 2010. However, we need no stones unturned, so thanks for looking into this further and contacting the contact to see if you can view the portraits and get other info.

I saw that info on Ancestry a few nights ago. I was not hopeful as one portrait is dated 2010. However, we need no stones unturned, so thanks for looking into this further and contacting the contact to see if you can view the portraits and get other info.

Way to go with contact! I saw that as well, and saw that the tree was by the same person, and the highest probable match since it was first. With the newer pic, who knows? I have pictures that I have attached to several other folks as well, so might not even be a pic of her L. Fingers crossed.

I have been perusing yearbooks on ancestry. I was on a tangent for a while, related to another case that happened in 1984 and the culprit tried in 2009 and had ties to AZ and TX....Nothing yet, but still looking. I am checking Arlington Heights High in the early -mid eighties, wandering around. Does anyone have any other classes/grades to try on Ancestry? I can check them out.

I think we can find the link we need!!

All my opinion, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members