TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have been lurking for a while and reading the main threads for this case.

The resemblance of FLEK to 20-year-old Terry Turner is jaw-dropping. She just has to be related to him somehow.

This is how I see the case. Twenty-something FLEK knows about the family tragedy of "Uncle" Terry's three daughters dying in a fire. FLEK, for whatever reason, wants to start a new life. She sends for the birth certificate for BST, and she is sent a copy. When I lost my birth certificate and needed to request a new, certified copy, I had to provide the full names of my father and mother (including her maiden name), and their birth dates. This information may have been common knowledge in the Turner family.

Perhaps she got the bright idea to use the birth certificate of a dead baby from one of the "How to Change Your Identity" books out at the time.

So, once she has the birth certificate, she applies for the ID in ID (hah!). She is totally psyched that her plan is working, and her excitement shows in the photo. She's getting away with it! Then she uses the BST identity to change her name to LEK and get a Social Security number. It would not have been unusual at the time for a teenager to request an SSN. I did not get my SSN until I had to register for college.

Why did she want to change her identity? Well, when you're 18 you just love drama, even if your real life is only just mundane, or maybe even a little bad or disappointing. She probably thought getting a new identity would be so incredibly cool, the perfect (theatrical) way to shed her past and get a clean start.

About the lock-box, I have read posts questioning why she kept the BST identity. I think she kept the it "just in case" she needed to switch identities again down the road. (This again is the thinking of a very young person, who does not yet have ties to a place such as a college degree, friends, husband, and a child.)

When her FLEK world starts unraveling, she thinks about possibly using the BST birth certificate and the ID ID to start another new life. She writes down the three columns of numbers in order to figure out how old the Turner parents (M and D) would be at that time (in case she is ever asked). She doesn't have a calculator handy, so she writes out the age progressions by hand, and screws up one calculation (hence, three calculations). I was born in 1965, and I learned how to do math without a calculator (all the way through Calculus, ugh!). It would not be unusual for someone around FLEK's age to jot down numbers to do some simple math instead of stopping to find a calculator. Also, this way of figuring out age seems very frantic and basically brainless, in keeping with her disordered state of mind.

When it comes time to actually do the deed and skip out on the FLEK life, she just can't do it. In her crazy mind, she thinks killing herself is the best way out. No loose ends, no open doors, just be done with the whole thing. That way, the kiddo won't try to find her mom when she turns 18 or whatever.

My conclusion: FLEK is a close relative to BST's parents. She was already starting to to display disordered, theatrical thinking by about age 18, and she decides the perfect way to get out of her life is to go through a complete identity change, starting with BST's birth certificate.

My theory does not answer why FLEK kept a mail drop in NV. Could she have been getting money from someone who knew about her plan?

Thank you for your time, and I apologize for the length of this post!

I don't feel the need to prove that I am not a "troll" by posting her photographs or other items on this forum.

If a member of her family contacts me, I WILL provide all of the photographs to them, because I feel that the photographs are as much theirs as they are mine.

Ultimately Mr. Ruff will receive my contact info, if he hasn't already.

Thank you for posting here Spring/Summer. Might I ask, did your relationship end amicably? Were either of you broken-hearted over your breakup?

So I read another older article released around the time the Seattle Times article came out. This one named the church Lori met Blake at. It's in the Park Cities area of Dallas, near Love field airport. That is just two streets over from her first used Dallas address off Mockingbird. That seems interesting to me. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone. I have been lurking for a while and reading the main threads for this case.

The resemblance of FLEK to 20-year-old Terry Turner is jaw-dropping. She just has to be related to him somehow.

This is how I see the case. Twenty-something FLEK knows about the family tragedy of "Uncle" Terry's three daughters dying in a fire. FLEK, for whatever reason, wants to start a new life. She sends for the birth certificate for BST, and she is sent a copy. When I lost my birth certificate and needed to request a new, certified copy, I had to provide the full names of my father and mother (including her maiden name), and their birth dates. This information may have been common knowledge in the Turner family.

Perhaps she got the bright idea to use the birth certificate of a dead baby from one of the "How to Change Your Identity" books out at the time.

So, once she has the birth certificate, she applies for the ID in ID (hah!). She is totally psyched that her plan is working, and her excitement shows in the photo. She's getting away with it! Then she uses the BST identity to change her name to LEK and get a Social Security number. It would not have been unusual at the time for a teenager to request an SSN. I did not get my SSN until I had to register for college.

Why did she want to change her identity? Well, when you're 18 you just love drama, even if your real life is only just mundane, or maybe even a little bad or disappointing. She probably thought getting a new identity would be so incredibly cool, the perfect (theatrical) way to shed her past and get a clean start.

About the lock-box, I have read posts questioning why she kept the BST identity. I think she kept the it "just in case" she needed to switch identities again down the road. (This again is the thinking of a very young person, who does not yet have ties to a place such as a college degree, friends, husband, and a child.)

When her FLEK world starts unraveling, she thinks about possibly using the BST birth certificate and the ID ID to start another new life. She writes down the three columns of numbers in order to figure out how old the Turner parents (M and D) would be at that time (in case she is ever asked). She doesn't have a calculator handy, so she writes out the age progressions by hand, and screws up one calculation (hence, three calculations). I was born in 1965, and I learned how to do math without a calculator (all the way through Calculus, ugh!). It would not be unusual for someone around FLEK's age to jot down numbers to do some simple math instead of stopping to find a calculator. Also, this way of figuring out age seems very frantic and basically brainless, in keeping with her disordered state of mind.

When it comes time to actually do the deed and skip out on the FLEK life, she just can't do it. In her crazy mind, she thinks killing herself is the best way out. No loose ends, no open doors, just be done with the whole thing. That way, the kiddo won't try to find her mom when she turns 18 or whatever.

My conclusion: FLEK is a close relative to BST's parents. She was already starting to to display disordered, theatrical thinking by about age 18, and she decides the perfect way to get out of her life is to go through a complete identity change, starting with BST's birth certificate.

My theory does not answer why FLEK kept a mail drop in NV. Could she have been getting money from someone who knew about her plan?

Someone that knows the case better can comment more but IIRC BST's family did not recognize FLEK

Great post!

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with aspects of this post. Someone changing their identity for drama or to be "cool" would not have the urgent devotion to do it as flawlessly as LEK. This was something she believed she NEEDED to do; it was the only option in her mind. She was anxious and scared; she wasn't "getting away with it," she was grateful to finally feel safe. Plenty of people have lives that are "bad" or "disappointing," just like there are many who seek excitement or attention. There are THOUSANDS of easier, more accessible ways to do this than attempting to permanently change your identity and spend the rest of your life agonizing over the possibility of being found out. Furthermore, even if someone DID decide to change their identity for histrionic reasons, I imagine they would do it with the complete opposite intentions; they would WANT to either be found, or plan on eventually returning for shock value.

We don't know about LEK's life before she was 18; there is no evidence that she was "already starting to display disordered, theatrical thinking." There's no evidence of ANYTHING she was doing at that time; that's the issue. The evidence we DO have suggests the complete opposite of "theatrical." She made every effort to CONCEAL the pain she was going through. She spent her adult life AVOIDING attention. All she wanted was to be left alone. While I do personally think that whatever drove her to undertake this mission will, from our perspective, seem relatively minor, I think LEK believed in her heart that she had no other way out. Feelings of entrapment are one of the primary causes of suicide; sadly, I think it's a feeling she knew very well. Even though what made her feel that way might not make someone else feel that way, it doesn't change that the feeling was very real for her.

Whatever FLEK did in her adult life, it was under the guise of someone she was not. She did steal the identity of a small child who had died. I have no respect for her living a lie, marrying someone who finally realized he did not know who she really was, and having a daughter who will some day wonder just why her mother did this.

Why are some people seeming to excuse the fact that FLEK committed the crime of stealing the identity of a child and feeling sorry for her? FLEK very carefully crafted her crime, IMO. If it were your deceased child she stole the identity of, would you still feel sorry for her?

I would very much like to know who this woman is. I have followed this case from the beginning and want to know why she lived her whole adult life in a lie. She had to have been using the same Social Security number from the stolen identity when she killed herself. That is what got this whole case started. Otherwise it would have just been the tragic story of a woman committing suicide right at Christmas with a pending divorce.

FLEK knew she could not withstand an investigation that no doubt would have happened if she tried to get custody of she and Blake's daughter. She would not have been able to afford a good lawyer to fight for her. I feel FLEK knew the fact she had a huge secret was about to come out, JMO.

FLEK killed herself right at Christmas and left that as a legacy to her little daughter and Blake. The victims here are Blake, his family, and most of all, her little daughter. I have no sympathy for FLEK. I beg to differ with anyone who thinks FLEK committed a victimless crime in that the identity theft was an already deceased child. When I read about anyone having sympathy for FLEK, I just cannot understand it at all.

I want to know who FLEK really was and why she did this.

MOO

Whatever FLEK did in her adult life, it was under the guise of someone she was not. She did steal the identity of a small child who had died. I have no respect for her living a lie, marrying someone who finally realized he did not know who she really was, and having a daughter who will some day wonder just why her mother did this.

Why are some people seeming to excuse the fact that FLEK committed the crime of stealing the identity of a child and feeling sorry for her? FLEK very carefully crafted her crime, IMO. If it were your deceased child she stole the identity of, would you still feel sorry for her?

I would very much like to know who this woman is. I have followed this case from the beginning and want to know why she lived her whole adult life in a lie. She had to have been using the same Social Security number from the stolen identity when she killed herself. That is what got this whole case started. Otherwise it would have just been the tragic story of a woman committing suicide right at Christmas with a pending divorce.

FLEK knew she could not withstand an investigation that no doubt would have happened if she tried to get custody of she and Blake's daughter. She would not have been able to afford a good lawyer to fight for her. I feel FLEK knew the fact she had a huge secret was about to come out, JMO.

FLEK killed herself right at Christmas and left that as a legacy to her little daughter and Blake. The victims here are Blake, his family, and most of all, her little daughter. I have no sympathy for FLEK. I beg to differ with anyone who thinks FLEK committed a victimless crime in that the identity theft was an already deceased child. When I read about anyone having sympathy for FLEK, I just cannot understand it at all.

I want to know who FLEK really was and why she did this.

MOO
I think it's clear she lived with a mental illness. While I think she is culpable for some of her behavior, I don't feel the need to judge her without knowing all of her circumstances. I would guess she did not do all of this for fun.

Suicide is difficult to get over but some children educate themselves and vow not to let it happen in their life.

Hello again, everybody. I'm sorry I framed my sketch of FLEK and her reasons for changing her identity in a rather flip manner. I still think that when FLEK took on her new identity, she did not understand or appreciate what a monumental thing she was doing. She was only 18(ish); people that age don't think about how intense life can become.

I believe FLEK was very intelligent and tenacious; she would not have been able to pull off the identity change otherwise.

As I recall, Mrs. Turner simply shook her head when shown a photo of FLEK. It would be really interesting to know if she and Mr. Turner had a "frank discussion" after the door closed about this woman who looked so much like him.

I think the pressure of keeping up the lie, coupled with some perhaps hereditary mental health issues, were what finally caused FLEK's undoing. Subtract the mental health issues, though, and I just can't see what secret was worth keeping by killing herself and abandoning her child. If SS1988 knew her to be calm and very together in 1988, then whatever secret she was running from could not have been so desperate at that time.

I look forward to following this thread to see if SS1988 really knew LEK and can solve this case. However, I'm going to recloak until I have something more concrete to contribute.

Bye y'all! :)

I think it's clear she lived with a mental illness. While I think she is culpable for some of her behavior, I don't feel the need to judge her without knowing all of her circumstances. I would guess she did not do all of this for fun.

Suicide is difficult to get over but some children educate themselves and vow not to let it happen in their life.

BBM:

I am not judging FLEK at all. It is a fact that what she did was illegal, and I do not feel sorry for her. I just have an opinion of what she did just as you have yours.

MOO

LEK is the one who suffered a pain so deep that she felt suicide was her only option. She is as much a victim as anyone else involved in the case. Saying that you have no respect or sympathy for her is not consistent with "not judging" her. She left her child to the child's father and his wealthy family; it's no different than giving her up for adoption. The identity "Becky Sue Turner" is not a physical object she robbed anyone of, and I believe stealing it WAS a victimless crime. Yes, still a crime. But if and when the truth comes to light, I have a feeling that even though I don't think identity theft is okay, I will understand why LEK felt the need to do it, just like I could understand a mother stealing food to feed her children. Because again, the ONLY thing clear to me is that LEK was going through unimaginable suffering inside.

I don't know that I even believe she was "living a lie." Is there any evidence LEK actually called herself Becky Sue Turner? I was under the impression that BST's documentation was merely a vehicle by which she could transition from the identity she was born as, which is still unknown, into LEK. Was LEK a stolen identity? I don't think there's been any evidence of that. If she came up with and lived under the name LEK for all those years, then that was her name, just as legitimately as anyone who legally changes their name. Yes, legally there are some major issues with how she went about it, but as a human being, I consider her LEK. If and when we learn her original name, she will still be LEK.

LEK is the one who suffered a pain so deep that she felt suicide was her only option. She is as much a victim as anyone else involved in the case. Saying that you have no respect or sympathy for her is not consistent with "not judging" her. She left her child to the child's father and his wealthy family; it's no different than giving her up for adoption. The identity "Becky Sue Turner" is not a physical object she robbed anyone of, and I believe stealing it WAS a victimless crime. Yes, still a crime. But if and when the truth comes to light, I have a feeling that even though I don't think identity theft is okay, I will understand why LEK felt the need to do it, just like I could understand a mother stealing food to feed her children. Because again, the ONLY thing clear to me is that LEK was going through unimaginable suffering inside.

I don't know that I even believe she was "living a lie." Is there any evidence LEK actually called herself Becky Sue Turner? I was under the impression that BST's documentation was merely a vehicle by which she could transition from the identity she was born as, which is still unknown, into LEK. Was LEK a stolen identity? I don't think there's been any evidence of that. If she came up with and lived under the name LEK for all those years, then that was her name, just as legitimately as anyone who legally changes their name. Yes, legally there are some major issues with how she went about it, but as a human being, I consider her LEK. If and when we learn her original name, she will still be LEK.

Yes, she was "living a lie"; that is the entire point. The goal of the Ruff family and Velling is to find out her true identity.
Imagine marrying someone who lied to you for your entire marriage and then exited the world in a painful and lonely manner and you found out in the midst of mourning, that you were married to someone with a false identity.
It's not about sympathy, judging, or empathy, it's about finding the truth of her identity, regardless of whatever FLEK's reason for doing so illegally might have been.
We have no clue who or what she was hiding from, but the answer to that is secondary. The primary question is, what was FLEK's real (original) identity. With this answer Mr. Ruff will know who he truly married and their daughter will know her real identity.
I can only hope that FLEK's daughter and Mr. Ruff develop a close relationship as she grows up because it would be sad if she grew to be lost, confused, and alone like the unfortunate fate of her mother.

Yes, she was "living a lie"; that is the entire point. The goal of the Ruff family and Velling is to find out her true identity.
Imagine marrying someone who lied to you for your entire marriage and then exited the world in a painful and lonely manner and you found out in the midst of mourning, that you were married to someone with a false identity.
It's not about sympathy, judging, or empathy, it's about finding the truth of her identity, regardless of whatever FLEK's reason for doing so illegally might have been.
We have no clue who or what she was hiding from, but the answer to that is secondary. The primary question is, what was FLEK's real (original) identity. With this answer Mr. Ruff will know who he truly married and their daughter will know her real identity.
I can only hope that FLEK's daughter and Mr. Ruff develop a close relationship as she grows up because it would be sad if she grew to be lost, confused, and alone like the unfortunate fate of her mother.

What did she lie about for the entire marriage? Isn't it just her name? I don't think there's been any evidence that she was fabricating stories about her past; when her husband's family asked her questions, she got upset and refused to answer. She didn't have an elaborate backstory that she'd created as far as I know. Learning her "real" identity will not tell Mr. Ruff who he married; all it will tell him is the name LEK was given at birth. Knowing why she did it seems much more important to me, and seems to be where closure would truly come from; I completely agree that learning her previous identity is the top priority, though. It will be key in learning the real story.

What did she lie about for the entire marriage? Isn't it just her name? I don't think there's been any evidence that she was fabricating stories about her past; when her husband's family asked her questions, she got upset and refused to answer. She didn't have an elaborate backstory that she'd created as far as I know. Learning her "real" identity will not tell Mr. Ruff who he married; all it will tell him is the name LEK was given at birth. Knowing why she did it seems much more important to me, and seems to be where closure would truly come from; I completely agree that learning her previous identity is the top priority, though. It will be key in learning the real story.

Her age, for one, if the investigation so far is correct. She married a man that presumably wanted a family while she was at the end of her conception years. They tried numerous times to conceive and failed, but fortunately, they got lucky and had a child. What if they hadn't? Marrying someone and knowing the chance to start a family was risky is a pretty crappy thing to do to someone who wanted one. What if he wanted multiple children?

I look at this with a bit of a twist. To me it's as if her daughter had been adopted and didn't know her birth mother. I was adopted. Raised by a beautiful and loving family. I still yearned to know my blood. Why do I look the way I do? Does my son take after my father? You get the idea. FLEK's daughter might one day wonder about her heritage. And please know I am not trying to take away from FLEKS parenting. I just believe she might have those questions as she gets older. Just a little food for thought.

Her age, for one, if the investigation so far is correct. She married a man that presumably wanted a family while she was at the end of her conception years. They tried numerous times to conceive and failed, but fortunately, they got lucky and had a child. What if they hadn't? Marrying someone and knowing the chance to start a family was risky is a pretty crappy thing to do to someone who wanted one. What if he wanted multiple children?

With all due respect, this seems like a really dangerous road to go down. A woman is more than a brood mare, and valuing a potential wife's worth primarily for her reproductive abilities is getting into Rusty Yates territory. If they wanted more children but she couldn't conceive for whatever reason, then they could have adopted or gotten fertility treatments or any of the other things that a zillion other fertility-challenged couples do. For that matter, if her husband wanted children that bad, and valued potential children more than he valued his wife on her own merits, then he could have adopted or fostered or paid a surrogate to carry a child for him. Everything I've read seems to point to her wanting children very much, and no one but her doctor knows if her difficulty getting pregnant had anything to do with age, or with something else. And if it was a crappy thing for her to lie about her age (which we don't even know happened), then surely it was also a crappy thing for her husband not to let her know that if they ever needed marriage counseling, he was going to be completely inappropriate and drag his BROTHER along to speak for him. Because that's some creepy stuff that would probably cause any woman to call off the engagement on the spot.

A lot of judgment going on in this thread when all we know for a fact is: she changed her name and she committed suicide, and no one actually knows *why* she did either one.

Lots of women have trouble conceiving from their teens on up. I know someone who tried from the time she was 18 to 40. First naturally, then every type of fertility treatment known to man. No luck. Finally, she gives up on ever getting pregnant and then 2 months later finds out she is 2 months pregnant (with no drugs, assistance, etc.)

We don't know what discussions they had about this anyway. He may have been fully aware of the possibility of conception issues. He may have not really cared one way or the other. I don't see how this topic helps figure out who she was. JMO.

With all due respect, this seems like a really dangerous road to go down. A woman is more than a brood mare, and valuing a potential wife's worth primarily for her reproductive abilities is getting into Rusty Yates territory. If they wanted more children but she couldn't conceive for whatever reason, then they could have adopted or gotten fertility treatments or any of the other things that a zillion other fertility-challenged couples do.

I'm not saying that the marriage depended on her ability to reproduce (they both seemed like they wanted a family), but it's an important factor to couples (and many do not want to go down the also frustrating road of non-traditional methods). Maybe she didn't have the foresight at a younger age to think that lying about her age might have some consequences later on (again, assuming the investigation is correct about her age). It is puzzling as to why she would choose an age that is much younger—that's a lot of faith to put in mother nature for your looks, heath, etc.

I'm not saying that the marriage depended on her ability to reproduce (they both seemed like they wanted a family), but it's an important factor to couples (and many do not want to go down the also frustrating road of non-traditional methods). Maybe she didn't have the foresight at a younger age to think that lying about her age might have some consequences later on (again, assuming the investigation is correct about her age). It is puzzling as to why she would choose an age that is much younger—that's a lot of faith to put in mother nature for your looks, heath, etc.
She was clearly adept at keeping the ruse, so she must have owned it at a fairly deep level.

I have been thinking about FLEK a lot the last week or so. I suffer from depression and it is affecting me badly at the moment. One aspect of the illness is that every problem or thing that goes wrong is magnified beyond belief in your mind and makes you even more depressed. It also makes you want to hide yourself away from the world and other people because you just can't face any of it. If you face any challenges or obsticles in your life, instead of being able to deal with it, you just hide yourself away and try to ignore it. It is very common to go through periods where the depression almost seems to go away completely, only for it to return every so often and knock you for six, like what is happening to me now.

I wonder whether FLEK's reasons for doing this are much more simple than we think. Maybe she had depression from a young age. This would have affected her life in so many ways, including her ability to complete her studies, get and keep a job, build relationships etc. I can well imagine that she could very easily have ended up in her twenties with poor qualifications, no job, no money, no friends and very possibly a load of debt, just because of the depression and not getting any/enough help with it.

The most attractive thing in the world to her at that point would be to have the ability to turn the clock back and wipe the slate clean. Be 18 again, get good qualifications, have no debt and no 'baggage' - just be a whole new person with her problems wiped away. She would have felt that if only she could do this, then she could be the confident, happy and successful person that seemed so out of her reach before. She didn't realise (because she didn't want to believe) that her depression would still be inside of her even after she started over with a new identity.

I know that this is a much more straightforward explanation for why FLEK did this than most that have been suggested on here (including by myself!), but we need to remember that the simplest explanation is usually the right one. Look at 'Cali', 'Sharon Marshall' and 'Grateful Doe'. We websleuthers came up with all sorts of theories about their pasts, but in all three cases, the simple/straightforward explanation turned out to be the closest to the truth.

Its understandable that we can't believe that the simple explanation might be the correct one, because we all care so much about UIDs/missing people and therefore we can't believe that nobody seems to be looking for FLEK.

Shadowdancer I am sorry to hear this! Thank you for your insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member