TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Classmates account and there are all kinds of yearbooks on there to look through. In colleges and universities, not everyone takes a photo which goes into the book; in my university, it was not mandatory. So someone could attend, be a student for the four years, and never appear in the yearbook.

If you have time, would you look through the yearbooks for Nevada High School in Nevada, MO for anyone who looks like FLEK?

http://www.classmates.com/yearbooks/school/Nevada-High-School/4724?cityId=3068

The real Lori Kennedy graduated in 1983. As previously discussed another girl who lived in Nevada, MO also lived at the address in Boise that FLEK used on her BST Idaho ID. 1983 is not listed but since we think FLEK was older she could have graduated in 1978 which is listed. Some names to keep an eye out for: Lori/Lorie/Laurie (any), Erica/Erika, Emily (really any name stating with E) Becky/Rebecca, Sue/Susan, Sandy/Sandra, Kennedy, Turner, Barker, Howder...And of course she could be none of these but these are what I have been searching. I don't have a classmates account however.

You know I wonder if she "happened to walk away" from a mental health facility and that is why she kept a low profile...not wanting to go back? Just a thought...there are quite a few MP who were last seen in a hospital.

One problem with this theory is that nowadays (as in since the 1980s), a person has to be pretty unstable to end up in a mental health facility for more than a 72-hour psych hold; due to recent court decisions & laws, people aren't just locked away in asylums for indefinite periods any more. By "pretty unstable" I mean as in presenting a danger to him/herself or others. If you look carefully at the (admittedly sketchy) details of LEK's life, she was reasonably stable: at one point she lived in the same apartment for several years before meeting B. People with serious mental health issues that lead to being committed can't do that. They do things like ordering $15,000 of merchandise when they are dead broke.

I figure that Velling, when he started this case, ran a credit history on her -- it's easier than you may think to do, & would be practically a routine step -- & while it only goes back 7 years, still it would reveal clues to a trained investigator about personal habits & practices. Things like routinely paying bills late, overextended consumer debt, maybe accounts opened in her daughter's name -- the sort of things that people who steal SSNs tend to do. But that he didn't mention anything about her credit history leads me to suspect there was nothing there, that it was typical of any average person.

But that's MOO.

Re-reading the posts from Spring/Summer1988 left me with more questions than answers.

1. How did the man's WIFE meet FLEK when he dated FLEK at the age of 17. Are we to assume the then future wife met her too? He makes it sound as if they stayed home a lot and avoided going out/being social. So did this man's future wife happen to work in the same business to have met FLEK?

One impression I have of SS1988 is that English is not his first language, so maybe he is an immigrant. Maybe his future wife was a family friend, or someone his family later selected for him to marry. (Arranged marriages are still the norm in many cultures, even today.) Or it's a clue SS1988 made it all up.

2. They worked together at "an establishment" in Irving. Lori's Irving Address was 1111 W. Airport Dr. #147, Irving, Texas. "This comes back as a Pain and Accidental Injury Chiropractic center that has been in business for 21 years"--quote credit from CindyTX on the Texas addresses thread. So did they work at that pain clinic? I wonder. We've been assuming she had some kind of injury but maybe her employer loaned her money and she failed to pay him back?

One thing to keep in mind is that SS1988 knew her when she first arrived in Irving, a period of time when we have no clues where LEK was living. Even if SS1988 can be believed, the name we know her by would not appear anywhere. The house was in her mother's name, & she was still using her birth name.

3. Did anyone else catch that he said "Ohio drivers' license" and not Idaho? Probably just a unintentional slip. On the one hand it lends credibility that he got a detail wrong--it makes it more believable that he is not a troll. A troll would have studied the case to make up a more believable story, IMO. On the other hand, if you go back a few pages in the thread people had been discussing her possible connection to Ohio. So maybe he didn't get anything wrong and he wanted to leave a clue? Hmmm...

4. What we learn about her mother (if we take his words as factual): Her mother was new to the Dallas area and in poor health in 1988. Her parents were likely divorced/separated. She did not come from money and possibly the mother's house was small/in bad shape as it has since been torn down/is no longer there today. It was a HOUSE though and not an apartment. What causes someone to move to a new city when their health is declining? In my experience, either they move to be with family or they move to be closer to a dr/treatment/save money on living expenses. So an alternate theory on the money she owed to the dr--could it be medical debt related to her mother's care? Do they hold family members responsible for medical bills after someone passes away? Does anyone know?

If her mother was on Medicare or Medicaid, they'd take of all of the medical bills. When my grandmother died in 1992, that was how her medical bills were handled. Which left a few thousand dollars in CDs & her house (owned free & clear, but in need of a lot of work) for my sister & I to inherit. It didn't make either of us rich, but I did end up with enough money to make a down payment on a much better house in a less fancy part of town. So I could believe it possible LEK came into enough money that she didn't need to work for a while, if she lived frugally -- which would explain why she was off the radar for the first few years she lived in the Houston area. (And my masculine intuition leads me to believe LEK was someone who, if she didn't need to work wouldn't. She just didn't like to interact with other people.)

5. He drove her home from work then came back later in the evening to pick her up for dinner dates. This implies a 9-5 type business schedule. We have been picturing her as everything from a dancer to a waitress, neither of which keep regular hours. Even a retail store (such as the dress shop located near the mockingbird lane address) would require closing shifts. So what businesses near her address closed by dinner time?

To repeat one of my talking points, we really don't know if LEK was a dancer/stripper. All we know is an ex-boyfriend said he heard she had done that for a while, & that she had breast implants. (And there are other reasons to get breast implants than to work in the sex industry.) The one job we knew she held at this time was "data entry", because she put that on her passport. I figure she was working a lot of temp jobs, which are often 9-5 (or were when I was a temp worker back in the 1980s), & that's how she & SS1988 met.

This reflects some of the effort required to believe what SS1988 told us. Maybe it's special pleading -- that is, asking us to accept a lot of involved arguments to believe what he posted -- which means its all B.S. And even after trying to answer your reasonable objections, I know I haven't been completely convincing; I'm still puzzled about how his wife came to know LEK, & not convinced I have the right answer. My own feeling is SS1988 probably is telling the truth (I'd give it a 60% chance), but I wouldn't use anything SS1988 told us to base a theory about her on.

Quoting this to bring it back up. I've often thought she ditched the BST ID rather quickly and wondered if she could have been using both that ID and LEK for a while. It took work and planning to get BST's birth certificate and get a driver's license in her name. To ditch it and keep the ID hidden in a lockbox all that time without bringing it out and using it doesn't make much sense.

I think you're onto something. I don't know what, but you raise an interesting point.

The address dates on familysearch are suspect to me because it says they are compiled from 3rd party data, whatever that means...I wonder if it's created by bots scanning for associated names and addresses online. By 2014 (when the address entry says it was entered/updated) plenty of people would have been searching BST's name and this address in Boise. If I'm right in how they compile the data, we could have had a hand in creating this ourselves! Scans of physical phone book are more trustworthy, IMO.

I was concerned about how reliable these services are, so as a test I did one on someone I knew as a test -- my Dad. The results were informative: they got the addresses where he lived in the last 20 years more or less correct (the service added one address I know he never lived at, but it was for a piece of property that my stepmother inherited & later sold; I guess his name somehow appeared in the papers connected to that sale), but the dates were all wrong. For example they listed the house I grew up in, but stated he moved there & lived there after they sold it.

I'd suggest anyone who uses one of these to run a test as I did first. Just to get a feel how much you can trust it. In any case, I'd rather see the primary sources services like familysearch used to compile their database than the data they offer from it.

One impression I have of SS1988 is that English is not his first language, so maybe he is an immigrant. Maybe his future wife was a family friend, or someone his family later selected for him to marry. (Arranged marriages are still the norm in many cultures, even today.) Or it's a clue SS1988 made it all up.

One thing to keep in mind is that SS1988 knew her when she first arrived in Irving, a period of time when we have no clues where LEK was living. Even if SS1988 can be believed, the name we know her by would not appear anywhere. The house was in her mother's name, & she was still using her birth name.

If her mother was on Medicare or Medicaid, they'd take of all of the medical bills. When my grandmother died in 1992, that was how her medical bills were handled. Which left a few thousand dollars in CDs & her house (owned free & clear, but in need of a lot of work) for my sister & I to inherit. It didn't make either of us rich, but I did end up with enough money to make a down payment on a much better house in a less fancy part of town. So I could believe it possible LEK came into enough money that she didn't need to work for a while, if she lived frugally -- which would explain why she was off the radar for the first few years she lived in the Houston area. (And my masculine intuition leads me to believe LEK was someone who, if she didn't need to work wouldn't. She just didn't like to interact with other people.)

To repeat one of my talking points, we really don't know if LEK was a dancer/stripper. All we know is an ex-boyfriend said he heard she had done that for a while, & that she had breast implants. (And there are other reasons to get breast implants than to work in the sex industry.) The one job we knew she held at this time was "data entry", because she put that on her passport. I figure she was working a lot of temp jobs, which are often 9-5 (or were when I was a temp worker back in the 1980s), & that's how she & SS1988 met.

This reflects some of the effort required to believe what SS1988 told us. Maybe it's special pleading -- that is, asking us to accept a lot of involved arguments to believe what he posted -- which means its all B.S. And even after trying to answer your reasonable objections, I know I haven't been completely convincing; I'm still puzzled about how his wife came to know LEK, & not convinced I have the right answer. My own feeling is SS1988 probably is telling the truth (I'd give it a 60% chance), but I wouldn't use anything SS1988 told us to base a theory about her on.

What made you think English is not his first language? I did not pick up on that at all.

I do tend to think if he wanted to troll us he would give some small piece of info that is worthless--like making up that her mother's name was "Mary" or some other wildly common name that would be fruitless to search for. That's what trolls do, IME. His post didn't seem to serve that purpose though. He seemed to be someone who wanted to defend her. I go back and forth on whether I think his story is genuine but my conclusion is the same as yours--nothing he told us can be used reliably to find her identity, IMO.

If you have time, would you look through the yearbooks for Nevada High School in Nevada, MO for anyone who looks like FLEK?

http://www.classmates.com/yearbooks/school/Nevada-High-School/4724?cityId=3068

The real Lori Kennedy graduated in 1983. As previously discussed another girl who lived in Nevada, MO also lived at the address in Boise that FLEK used on her BST Idaho ID. 1983 is not listed but since we think FLEK was older she could have graduated in 1978 which is listed. Some names to keep an eye out for: Lori/Lorie/Laurie (any), Erica/Erika, Emily (really any name stating with E) Becky/Rebecca, Sue/Susan, Sandy/Sandra, Kennedy, Turner, Barker, Howder...And of course she could be none of these but these are what I have been searching. I don't have a classmates account however.

I'm off to the dentist but will do when I get home.

I think you're onto something. I don't know what, but you raise an interesting point.

I was concerned about how reliable these services are, so as a test I did one on someone I knew as a test -- my Dad. The results were informative: they got the addresses where he lived in the last 20 years more or less correct (the service added one address I know he never lived at, but it was for a piece of property that my stepmother inherited & later sold; I guess his name somehow appeared in the papers connected to that sale), but the dates were all wrong. For example they listed the house I grew up in, but stated he moved there & lived there after they sold it.

I'd suggest anyone who uses one of these to run a test as I did first. Just to get a feel how much you can trust it. In any case, I'd rather see the primary sources services like familysearch used to compile their database than the data they offer from it.

Yes, I did similar tests of the family search system. Unless I see it in directory that was printed I take the date of residence with a grain of salt.

As far as LEK using the BST ID, one thing that I have wondered about is the timeline for her use of the LEK name.

From the timeline/media thread:

• May 20, 1988 - Jane Doe gets a copy of Becky Sue’s birth certificate from Kern County, Calif.
  • June 16, 1988 - Jane Doe obtains an Idaho ID card with her picture and Becky Sue’s name. She now has government ID “proving” she’s Becky Sue. (Idaho ID using Becky Sue Turner's name)
  • July 5, 1988 - She gets her name legally changed in a Dallas court from Becky Sue to Lori Erica Kennedy. (Document showing name legally changed to Lori Erica Kennedy) Clerk's certificate: http://oi39.tinypic.com/2wg94z9.jpg
  • July 12, 1988 - Applies for and receives a Social Security number as Lori Kennedy (Lori Kennedy's Soc. Sec. number application)
  • July 13, 1988 - Obtains a Texas ID card
  • April 18, 1989 - Obtains Texas driver’s license, stating she is 19 years old
  • March 19, 1990 - Applies for a U.S. passport (Lori Kennedy's passport and passport application)

She gets her name changed and does everything she needs to legally be LEK in July 1988 (SS# and Texas ID card). Then she waits almost a year to get driver's license. I wonder why she got her ID card first instead of just getting a driver's license right away. Even if she didn't have a car I would think it would be better to have a license. What were the differences (if any) in proof of ID that she needed to get a driver's license verses an ID card? Or was it that she would have to take the driver's test and it was more work/more complicated? I guess what I am getting at is, in July of 1988 she commits this huge fraud to change her name, then she seemingly does nothing else concrete with that identity for a year. Then she waits another year before applying for a passport. Was she waiting, holding off on using that ID to make sure that it had not been flagged? And during this time, how did she get around/where did she live? Could she have had a driver's license in her real name or in the name of BST? The BST Idaho ID was not a drivers' license either so she could not use it for legally driving in Texas. So if she didn't have a driver's license/car she had to live within walking distance of her place of work or near a bus route. I'm also very curious which addresses she used to register her car when she got one.

Yes, I did similar tests of the family search system. Unless I see it in directory that was printed I take the date of residence with a grain of salt.

As far as LEK using the BST ID, one thing that I have wondered about is the timeline for her use of the LEK name.

From the timeline/media thread:

• May 20, 1988 - Jane Doe gets a copy of Becky Sue’s birth certificate from Kern County, Calif.
  • June 16, 1988 - Jane Doe obtains an Idaho ID card with her picture and Becky Sue’s name. She now has government ID “proving” she’s Becky Sue. (Idaho ID using Becky Sue Turner's name)
  • July 5, 1988 - She gets her name legally changed in a Dallas court from Becky Sue to Lori Erica Kennedy. (Document showing name legally changed to Lori Erica Kennedy) Clerk's certificate: http://oi39.tinypic.com/2wg94z9.jpg
  • July 12, 1988 - Applies for and receives a Social Security number as Lori Kennedy (Lori Kennedy's Soc. Sec. number application)
  • July 13, 1988 - Obtains a Texas ID card
  • April 18, 1989 - Obtains Texas driver’s license, stating she is 19 years old
  • March 19, 1990 - Applies for a U.S. passport (Lori Kennedy's passport and passport application)

She gets her name changed and does everything she needs to legally be LEK in July 1988 (SS# and Texas ID card). Then she waits almost a year to get driver's license. I wonder why she got her ID card first instead of just getting a driver's license right away. Even if she didn't have a car I would think it would be better to have a license. What were the differences (if any) in proof of ID that she needed to get a driver's license verses an ID card? Or was it that she would have to take the driver's test and it was more work/more complicated? I guess what I am getting at is, in July of 1988 she commits this huge fraud to change her name, then she seemingly does nothing else concrete with that identity for a year. Then she waits another year before applying for a passport. Was she waiting, holding off on using that ID to make sure that it had not been flagged? And during this time, how did she get around/where did she live? Could she have had a driver's license in her real name or in the name of BST? The BST Idaho ID was not a drivers' license either so she could not use it for legally driving in Texas. So if she didn't have a driver's license/car she had to live within walking distance of her place of work or near a bus route. I'm also very curious which addresses she used to register her car when she got one.

Dallas has an excellent bus system. There was a bus stop near every address I went to see here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dallas has an excellent bus system. There was a bus stop near every address I went to see here.

Thanks, Linda! I wonder how extensive it was in 1988. From this page: https://www.dart.org/about/history.asp#1988
There were buses as early as 1984 but it looks like many stops were still being added/built in 1988.

One thing I thought about was the change in employment law effective 1986. Until that year, you could use fake documents to get a job. Then they passed I-9 and the employer had to examine your documents and sign the I-9 that they had and basically they looked real. I lived in California about this time, and I remember working with illegals who would get a green card off the street for 10 bucks. They looked fake, but that was all they needed until the law changed. What if she decided to assume the identity of a dead american infant just to get past this law. She might have changed her name to Lori since that is or is close to her real first name. If someone from her past was to spot her, they would call her by that name, and any new person in her life would not be the wiser. The last name change can always be explained for a woman.

Thinking out loud for a minute...

We need to first of all find someone with a Spokeo account who can access names, details, etc., uncensored. I think we should start researching all folks whose names are listed as ever having ties to the Boise address.

http://www.spokeo.com/ID/Boise/7101-W-El-Caballo-Dr

There has to be some reason why she chose this address.

I believe there's more to the Idaho connection that what's been discussed. Extremely unlikely she chose an address in Boise, ID, at random to receive an ID under the name of a dead child. There's something more here. We need full names to generate background info on each of these folks, where they're from, etc., do we even know all of these people really exist?

OK, this may have been discussed way back when.

2021243557.jpg

From what I can tell, this ID number (910-02-0084) is a social security number. How was this not flagged later on when she applied for another social security card? She included the BST name as her birth name on the application. Was the first number from Idaho fictitious?

2021243255_zps9caaf633.jpg

I've never taken much of a look at this file, and it's difficult for me to read the cursive writing in the bottom corner.

OK, this may have been discussed way back when.

2021243557.jpg

From what I can tell, this ID number (910-02-0084) is a social security number. How was this not flagged later on when she applied for another social security card? She included the BST name as her birth name on the application. Was the first number from Idaho fictitious?

2021243255_zps9caaf633.jpg

I've never taken much of a look at this file, and it's difficult for me to read the cursive writing in the bottom corner.

Someone posted in another thread before about the Idaho number--if you didn't have a SS# they assigned a random ID#. But I don't know if that is what that is or if it is BST's SS#.

Cursive writing appears to say:
Kern County Calif B/C #1500-3237
accepted for identification 7/28/69 ______?
Becky Sue Turner
Bill Long Clerk of the District Courts _____? County
Name Change # ________? Lori Erica
Kennedy _______? 7/5/69

Blanks on what I can't read, but none of those look like the ID# from her Idaho ID. Basically it's the clerk writing down the evidence she gave for needing a SS in the name of LEK. I just realized that she did not need to use the BST ID card at all to get her SS#. At that point she had BST birth certificate and the name change documents to "prove" she was BST/LEK. There was no need for the Feds to even look for her in the Idaho computer system because there is no reference to Idaho on this form at all.

I just realized that she did not need to use the BST ID card at all to get her SS#. At that point she had BST birth certificate and the name change documents to "prove" she was BST/LEK. There was no need for the Feds to even look for her in the Idaho computer system because there is no reference to Idaho on this form at all.

This basically reinforces the idea that she needed the BST alias for more than just a new "clean" identity. She may have used it in Idaho while using the LEK identity in Texas. If there were duplicate social security numbers at that point, that would make it even easier because there wouldn't be any conflict between the identities.

Which may point to Idaho as a real home once

This basically reinforces the idea that she needed the BST alias for more than just a new "clean" identity. She may have used it in Idaho while using the LEK identity in Texas. If there were duplicate social security numbers at that point, that would make it even easier because there wouldn't be any conflict between the identities.

Maybe. She may have had to use the Idaho ID for her name change request. Does anyone know if it is possible to file an FOIA request and get the FULL name change proceeding documents for us to see? It would detail why she told the court she wanted to change her name.

I haven't gone through it yet, but this document may shed light on how one can change their name, and whether or not they have to give a reason:

http://texaslawhelp.org/files/685E9...C5-BD7F-A52CF6741A38/name_adult_kit_final.pdf

Reading through that, it says the filing fee is $200. It may have been less then but it makes me wonder if she had a bank account or credit card in the name of BST. She filed for the name change right away. She didn't need to work for a while to afford it. She came to Texas with some money somehow. What accounts or records under the name of BST have we not found yet? Or do we think she would have used money orders and cash for everything?

I haven't gone through it yet, but this document may shed light on how one can change their name, and whether or not they have to give a reason:

http://texaslawhelp.org/files/685E9...C5-BD7F-A52CF6741A38/name_adult_kit_final.pdf

The form starting on page 7 has a space to give a reason for the name change. It also requests all DL issued in last 10 years and SS# if you have one. Technically the BST ID is an ID, not a driver's license. She might have checked that she did not have a license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasApril87