TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to run to work, but came across this...... anybody feel like checking it out?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latter_Day_Church_of_Christ

I've heard theories that FLEK was a runaway or had some sort of connection to the LDCC. I mean, if she was a runwaway, it would make sense how she was in the area and ended up working in a strip club, being really low on money. But, what wouldn't make sense, is that how in Idaho the LDCC owned quite a few businesses, including in Boise. This includes:

-A farm (in Tetonia)

-Cattle ranch

-Discount Store

-[FONT=&amp]Desert Tech Firearms

[/FONT]
- [FONT=&amp]Washakie Renewable Energy

[/FONT]
-G[FONT=&amp]rocery Store
[/FONT]

(All of these in Terreton)

And they owned a [FONT=&amp]restaurant supply in Boise.

[/FONT]
I don't know how the hiring practices of the LDCC work, if they send some of their own up there, or if they hire from the local populace, but I don't think it'd be too smart hanging around a state where they owned a bunch of businesses and farms. I mean, if she was still in the LDCC and not escaping, what would she be doing? Trying to recruit people?

I think you have made a great point. Blake's family has a little girl to worry about, which is more important than solving this mystery. Like you said, maybe it is solved, and they have no interest in bring more publicity to it. I would still like to know, but my nosiness is not really important. It would be interesting to know the truth though.

I feel the same way; it's a family's business. Lots of people would like to know, but are just bystanders. What has been troubling me is that a photo of a child was plucked from someplace and is now circulating on FB. No one has a clue if that child could be put in harms way because of someone who is curious. My thought is that the mom was hiding from something and that fear, that secret, along with some PPD, pushed her to the end of what she could handle. Now someone is putting her daughter out there. I don't know how that can be stopped but it is completely inappropriate. The Ruffs do deserve some privacy.

I have long thought she came from a fundamentalist group of the LDS church. When you compare pictures of her to members, you see the same prominent features. This could explain a lot of the things we've learned about FLEK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, this could explain a few of the phone numbers in FLEKs notes. These groups are known to commit numerous financial frauds. The note page has the number for Jennifer Perkins, who at a time prosecuted fraud, and of a Colorado firm that protected victims of fraud.

I think you have made a great point. Blake's family has a little girl to worry about, which is more important than solving this mystery. Like you said, maybe it is solved, and they have no interest in bring more publicity to it. I would still like to know, but my nosiness is not really important. It would be interesting to know the truth though.
The thing that makes me think it's still an open case is that some people on here have submitted matches/theories to LE and some have had replies saying 'no that's a rule out' and some have had replies saying 'we'll look into the information you've sent'. If they know who FLEK is wouldn't they just have a standard response for everyone? To me it sounds like they are genuinely still investigating.

The thing that makes me think it's still an open case is that some people on here have submitted matches/theories to LE and some have had replies saying 'no that's a rule out' and some have had replies saying 'we'll look into the information you've sent'. If they know who FLEK is wouldn't they just have a standard response for everyone? To me it sounds like they are genuinely still investigating.
I am not convinced it is solved. I was agreeing the family might not be as interested in solving it, given how disruptive being in the news can be for people. i did say "maybe" they have solved it, which i thought that was a point made in the post i was replying to, but maybe i misunderstood. You would think law enforcement would be on the same page though. I don't think Blake and his family are wanting to be on news shows and i don't think i can blame them for that. As I recall, blake's mother does most of the talking in the interview, and i got the impression blake let's her take the lead a lot. It's just one article but I can be judgmental like that. lol

Also, this could explain a few of the phone numbers in FLEKs notes. These groups are known to commit numerous financial frauds. The note page has the number for Jennifer Perkins, who at a time prosecuted fraud, and of a Colorado firm that protected victims of fraud.

There are LOTS of Jennifer Perkins who are lawyers across the US. The one in Dallas did not know Lori. We really have no idea who she was referring to on the notes page . I wonder if she knew Ben Perkins daughter, Denise. Evidently she died pretty young but I can find NO info on her. I wonder if there was a Jennifer Perkins in Bens life.

Something I had a thought on, is what finger print databases have they checked? I got a california DL in 1986, and I vaguely remember giving a thumb print. Just one, probably the right. I have long since moved a few times and a few state dl's changes. I googled it to see if I remembered correctly. Since I theorize she spent some time in California I wondered if she ever had a CA DL prior to 1988. They in fact are one of only 4 states that require this. I also have held professional licenses over the years and know many states require complete fingerprinting to obtain one including, real estate, insurance, etc. I found this 1986 LA times article that said the supreme court upheld CA DMV fingerprinting but forbid them from sharing the info with any other agency, or private detective. http://articles.latimes.com/1986-07-25/news/mn-272_1_fingerprint-data

So I was wondering if they have only ran her fingerprints against criminal databases? I have no idea what the state of the law is,and all the places we have to give at least one fingerprint, but wonder if the DMV and state professional licensing agencies are allowed to assist to identify a jane doe, especially if jane doe is dead and no longer needing privacy?

Fitst let me say, I love that Websleuths is keeping this active as it has been a fascinating mystery for me since I read the Seattle Times article when it was first published. My mother and I had many conversations about it. :thinking: Forgive me if this is a false memory, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Ruffs were made aware of Lori's "real" story and decided they didn't want to pursue it any longer, although I don't believe the reason for not wanting to continue was ever given, at least not publicly. If this is true and no money is owed to the government and no laws with living suspects were broken, then it is easy to see why this would be put on the "back burner", so to speak. I'll see if I can find that information anywhere and will "quote" back it I find it.

Fitst let me say, I love that Websleuths is keeping this active as it has been a fascinating mystery for me since I read the Seattle Times article when it was first published. My mother and I had many conversations about it. :thinking: Forgive me if this is a false memory, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Ruffs were made aware of Lori's "real" story and decided they didn't want to pursue it any longer, although I don't believe the reason for not wanting to continue was ever given, at least not publicly. If this is true and no money is owed to the government and no laws with living suspects were broken, then it is easy to see why this would be put on the "back burner", so to speak. I'll see if I can find that information anywhere and will "quote" back it I find it.
I have never heard that. I know there has been FOIA requests of the Social Security Administration and they have complied. None of the documents they have released have suggested it is solved. Also i see current, perhaps 3rd party, sites regarding this case, still requesting you contact the Gregg County TX coroner if you know her, as well as the NAMUS website still has her listed. So if the family does know something, they have been very tight lipped and not passed it on to the very people they turned to. So I am going to say, that is just a rumor. It is a fascinating store. Welcome to the thread.

Forgive me if this is a false memory, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Ruffs were made aware of Lori's "real" story and decided they didn't want to pursue it any longer, although I don't believe the reason for not wanting to continue was ever given, at least not publicly.

This has been a persistent rumor but as far as I can tell its just that - a rumor.

I wonder if we focus too much on the fact that no one who knew her has come forward. I'm fascinated by this kind of mystery, but I just kind of stumbled upon it - it hasn't actually received a ton of mainstream publicity, LEK is really only super famous in the internet sleuthsphere. We know she was kind of an antisocial recluse who, when she wasn't working as an "independent consultant" bounced around contract and part-time jobs, so she probably didn't have that much of a relationship with her employers or coworkers. It sounds like the people who knew her as LEK or LER respect her privacy too much to speculate, or simply aren't interested in her or discussing the mystery, at least not with strangers or the media. I have no doubt the Ruffs themselves have more information than has been shared in the media or online, but it seems they are completely horrified by the publicity and want that part of their lives to disappear. They may even be quashing publicity to whatever extent they can. Even if this case got a ton of mainstream publicity, like airing on a Dateline-type tv show or being blasted through social media... her social world was so small. Who knows if her picture would jog the memory of someone she knew decades ago, or if it did, if they'd care to get involved and make any comments about it. What are the odds? Anyway, I personally don't think the fact that no one comes forward about her necessarily means she escaped from a cult or is from outside the States. Canada is possible, but the numbers make it much less likely. I feel like the Ruffs have a good idea at this point as to who she was, and are purposefully making sure it stays quiet for their family's reputation. Even if the story isn't really so horrible, it is probably just something the Ruff's consider embarrassing.

I agree with most of what you've written, dvo, except for the part that the Ruffs "have a good idea at this point as to who she was". I figure that their primary worry was that LEK was a criminal or foreign sleeper agent, & once that possibility was disproved, their interest in the case decreased. Sure, they'd like to know what her birth name was & if she had any family or friends out there, but not if it disrupts their lives too much. Which I understand.

And thinking about it, even though this case is "only super famous in the internet sleuthsphere", I still think it's significant that no one has stepped up to say they knew her & furnish any information about her. The Internet is not sealed off from the rest of the world; people will idly wonder about others they haven't heard from or about for years or decades, & do a Google search. I've done it on people I've known (ranging from ex-girlfriends to relatives, to distant acquaintances) out of idle curiosity. Most of the time the results aren't good for more than idle gossip with other friends (e.g., "Remember so-&-so? He's now owns & runs his own bakery. Can you imagine him as a businessman?"), & sometimes nothing comes up. And sometimes a person really surprises you -- like discovering a guy I sorta knew in college was a prominent figure in the Usenet group alt.religion.scientology. But I can't imagine any former acquaintance of LEK who Googled her name out of curiosity not being utterly floored upon discovering the mystery around her, & wanting to contribute something to the mix -- if nothing more than a sketch of her when she was alive.

I'm not saying that any one of these would necessarily provide the piece that complete this puzzle, but it would be nice to know a bit more about her, such as what kind of music did she like, & what was her favorite kind of pet. Despite having followed this case for months & reading most of what is out there about her, I still can't picture what LEK did in her spare time. Sometimes I even doubt she was as religious as we are sometimes told she was. But despite all our efforts, LEK remains little more than a collection of photos & dates, until the final six months of her life when she had a nervous breakdown over the dissolution of her marriage & began to act unlike her previous self or any familiar person.

One aspect I find contradictory is the stripper time of her life. It would provide an income and she did have breast enlargement , two circumstances that might mean its true. Seems inconsistent with her soon religious activity, but I guess not impossible. I still see a man in this scenario pulling the strings. And at some point this man went away, died, prison or just left. Total conjecture but it might explain what got this id change ball rolling. I still want to know if any men about this age changed their name in Dallas during July 1988 with limited ID. This would be pre-Blake of course. Maybe Blake met her as a stripper and not at church.

Just to confirm by a show of hands (in order to avoid idle assumptions) . . . has anybody here applied for another FOI report that we are waiting on? Or is everyone assuming each other has already done so . . .

Just to confirm by a show of hands (in order to avoid idle assumptions) . . . has anybody here applied for another FOI report that we are waiting on? Or is everyone assuming each other has already done so . . .

I haven't applied for another FOI, but I thought I read someone else had. Hope my memory is correct.

Stupid question: What's a FOI report? Freedom of information report?

I have to run to work, but came across this...... anybody feel like checking it out?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latter_Day_Church_of_Christ

A few of the Kingston daughters have left the group and were on a series about helping others get out. I believe it's airing again right now on A&E. The show is called Escaping Polygamy.

I'll look around and see if there is a way to contact any of the girls. Maybe they can ask people they if Lori looks familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockDuck