TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Froglady If it's who I think your thinking it is then they have a few accounts on here so will no doubt read the comments. That will never stop them though. I am surprised though that they haven't mentioned being paid for it or asking to be paid for it lol. :scared:

Could someone send me a private and explain all this? :)

For those people who haven't worked with Namus much: it's quite common for us to find out a person has been identified but never learn the name--sometimes even when we're positive it was somebody in one of the databases. In most cases, the family of the deceased has the right to decide whether to release or not release that information, and many families seem to feel that having the information go public somehow reflects poorly on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Laundry Lady... Sigh, I don't think we'lll ever know

Just trying to catch up. I stand by what I said last night. I agree she's another one of us. I don't think Akoya ID'd Lori. I don't think she's been ID'd since last year. When my partner turned Helen Green in to Velling, we tried to decide how to do it. The SSA wouldn't pay for the Ancestry testing, we had Helen in NamUs without a sample so we decided on that. My partner is down due to bad health otherwise I'd have her call Velling.

With one of my Jane Doe cases, the DNA was sent to UNT I think the 9th of March, it came back over night yesterday morning, which is probably what Lori's sample did too if it went thru UNT. They would have had to list Spring/Summers exGF in NamUs to use the free DNA kits.

Velling has no control over what UNT does when it makes an official match. They pull the UP profile, they did the same with Cali. That's why I feel pretty confident that it's most likely Spring/Summer that made the match.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! What is UNT?

Considering velling stated they were close at the end of March (aka about 5-6 months ago) I highly doubt this was solved over a year ago, and I very highly doubt the CW poster was the one who solved it.

UNT is who processes the DNA for NamUs.
I haven't had time to follow Lori's case so I wasn't aware of Velling saying that. If he did say that, it makes perfect sense that the DNA samples were sent to UNT in March like my Arizona Jane Doe case.

We know Sping/Summer was here in May 2015, he contacted Velling. It took Velling time to do the research to find Lori's birth records, then trace her to find current family to donate a sample. It's very time consuming, the NamUs RSA has to speak to the relatives, get their socials, then speak to their local LE to send them out to take the sample, then they send it to UNT. I doubt the family wanted to pay Ancestry (or 23 and me, I can't recall which Velling used off the top of my head) for 2 samples at $110 each including shipping so they probably listed Lori with her birth name in NamUs as a missing person. 23 and me is $200 each

the way you explain this helps me to understand a lot of what probably happened. thank you for clearing this up. :)

You're very welcome. I don't know if I'm right, but what I'm figuring with spring/summer's timeline it works out.

If Akoya did make the match I'll apologize. I'm sorry she feels I'm attacking her. I'm not trying to attack her.

Um. But how would anyone even know your name? You're an anonymous armchair detective like the rest of us. And quite frankly, if you were so worried about "violating confidentiality," you wouldn't have typed anything on a public forum, and instead gone to Joe himself and said "hey, so Nance says ST is working with the inv.. it's not me."

Clearly you do care, otherwise you wouldn't be responding the accusations. And quite frankly, "investigator" means anything or anyone. You're not the only person in the world with the title of "investigator," which, in your case is self-imposed I'm sure. Literally no one even knew you existed so I'm not sure why you're jonesing to "let the world know you didn't violate confidentiality" (though releasing a special agents' cellphone number on the internet seems pretty violating IMO......). Maybe you should take it up with the real investigators you've supposedly been working with.

Oh good grief. It sounds like she just wanted to make sure everyone knew that SHE was the one who found FLEK not that she violated confidentiality. No one ever mentioned her or anyone else releasing details. The lady doth protest too much...

NAMUS might not have the information other than they were told by the investigating agency that the case has been resolved. There are two likely agencies that could have done this. Of course the Social Security Administration office of the Inspector General, or the Gregg County Sheriff or ME. Not sure which local agency has it. The SSA is covered under FOIA and the County would be covered under the state's equivalent. I did look and the death certificate is still listed as Lori Ruff. I guess it might never be changed but wouldn't it be ironic if they could find that dallas county judge from so many years ago who was tricked into changing Becky Sue to Lori E Kennedy, and he ordered her name changed back to whatever and the documents changed. Not sure if that could happen, but if I were writing a book, that is how it would end.

Hello, everyone. Yesterday I was reading through the thread. I was on page 112 (default number of posts per page) when WS stopped loading for me. I had to go to bed and didn't get to the rest of the thread. Now I see this morning that it's up to page 130.

Would someone just fill me in on anything that happened overnight? I saw the post where a researcher has said that LEK's identity was being held for a compelling reason. Any details? Anything else come up? Thanks a lot!

Hello, everyone. Yesterday I was reading through the thread. I was on page 112 (default number of posts per page) when WS stopped loading for me. I had to go to bed and didn't get to the rest of the thread. Now I see this morning that it's up to page 130.

Would someone just fill me in on anything that happened overnight? I saw the post where a researcher has said that LEK's identity was being held for a compelling reason. Any details? Anything else come up? Thanks a lot!

We've all been talking circles around each other. No ID released yet.

Just a word - O'Hagan's original article for The Seattle Times was published on June 22, 2013 - a Saturday. Long form articles not unlike that one tend to be published in the weekend editions of newspapers. So we might be waiting until Saturday or Sunday - or a FUTURE Saturday or Sunday - to discover Ms. Ruff's identity if The Seattle Times is indeed going to be the source to break the news.

Also: Flash is absolutely killing Websleuths for me. It took me fifteen minutes to type out this post. Then my browser crashed. Awesome.

holy coo coo bananas batman! wow. she wasn't even smart enough to scam *well* like that from the amy bradley case who scammed her parents out of all their money and even donated funds.

some people... :naughty: :judge:

She also claimed to have solved Grateful Doe's case but wouldn't tell anyone who it was. Shortly after her announcement his case was solved, thanks to one of our members here who started a Reddit campaign and one of his old roommates recognized him from the reconstruction sketch.

An anonymous post yeserday on FindAGrave

You could never find a day of peace while always looking over your shoulder. Soon the world will know who you really were and hopefully your poor husband and daughter can find the peace you lacked. You chose to off yourself in the in-laws driveway which was the true act of a coward. Praying that God has accepted you into the heavens and that in death you found the peace that alluded you in life.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=113578500
How horribly awful that someone would put that.

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise specified.*

She also claimed to have solved Grateful Doe's case but wouldn't tell anyone who it was. Shortly after her announcement his case was solved, thanks to one of our members here who started a Reddit campaign and one of his old roommates recognized him from the reconstruction sketch.

Do you happen to have a link to the announcement post?

Is "off yourself" something americans say? As an aussi I know people would say that sort of thing as a slang term for suicide.
Yes, same meaning.

My best guess at this point is FLEK was planning on using the Ruffs & Blake as a means to collect commission from laundering drug money. She was in Texas (where many top drug cartel families reside) she was good at "fluff" jobs & had a squeaky clean life as "Lori Ruff". Basically easy money with very low probability of blowback. This might be the reason for the secrecy about her real name.

Terry Turner lives in Hawaii and so do two of his children from another relationship after his girls died in the fire.
I'm kind of entertaining a Turner connection. And there's another that I think may be a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member