TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some musings on some recent topics...

I grew up in Arlington and it was definitely separate from Ft. Worth. I went to college in Ft. Worth and UT-Arlington was definitely considered a relatively "far" distance away (for something like say...a frat party ;) )

I could see Chelsea's Tea Room in the past as a tea room for ladies to meet and they probably didn't have a website. As it became more popular to have children's parties at these places they might have changed to cater to this clientele. This seems like a place my mom might have gone with friends but I've never heard of it. Will have to ask her about it. Bummer that there is no history of the business or information about the owners on the website.

There was no public transportation for the D-FW metroplex back then (not sure if there is now). I would have considered it a long drive to go from Ft. Worth to Dallas but Hurst-Euless-Bedford and Arlington/Grand Prairie are kind of in the middle. Not such a bad drive from Ft. Worth. She would have definitely had a car and really did hop around in terms of housing.

I got married in Ft. Worth in 2001 and am almost positive that we had to have our birth certificates to get the license.

I agree with whomever (sorry I forgot who!) said that they could see Lori as waitstaff or other type of employee at the gentleman's club if she did indeed work at one. I just could never see her as a dancer - she looks way too reserved and (despite the boob job) didn't have the body type of a typical dancer. imho.

I don't know yet. I'm still trying to find the details on the 1991 case.

Well you are amazing at finding things so I have confidence you will find out. Thanks for sharing all these records. :)

FWIW my original birth certificate was issued in the late 80s, but in the early 2000s I needed a new copy because the original was really tattered. They look COMPLETELY different. All of my info is the same though. So even if a new copy was requested, it would likely look very different than the original, which could make the original seem fake. IMO the BST birth certificate found in the lock box was legit but that's just me going off my intuition.

Yes, I know they would look different. A BC ordered today would have security holograms and be printed on special paper. But the info should be the same (unless you have a name change, adoption change or the "original" is a forgery). One thing that still bothers me is the DOB being different on the death record (and I know all about how wrong death records can be from doing genealogy). IF we got a copy of the real birth record and found that the DOB actually matched the death record that would be VERY revealing.

Yes, I know they would look different. A BC ordered today would have security holograms and be printed on special paper. But the info should be the same (unless you have a name change, adoption change or the "original" is a forgery). One thing that still bothers me is the DOB being different on the death record (and I know all about how wrong death records can be from doing genealogy). IF we got a copy of the real birth record and found that the DOB actually matched the death record that would be VERY revealing.

Sorry I think I misunderstood your previous post :sorry:

I agree.
I wonder which order it happened though--did they just elope or did they announce they were getting married and received criticism so they just eloped? I guess it doesn't really matter, but it does color the statements we have from the Ruffs about Lori if they were not approving of the marriage from the beginning. We really need to hear more about her from non family who knew her!

According to the Seattle Times article, she fought their involvement in hers & Blake's lives before & after the wedding at every turn. One reason LEK & her in-laws never got along. ISTR reading one story (I can't find it now) stating that during family get-togethers, when all the women were busy in the kitchen together, she'd slip away & take a nap.

Did I say I suspected LEK had problems interacting with other people? RE-reading the original Seattle Times article puts that fact in sharp relief. You could say it was shyness manifesting itself as aloofness, or that she didn't get along with most people, but she definitely was socially challenged.

Here it is, unrevised, unfinished but very long, & probably error-filled:

I’ll preface this with a brief discussion of sources, which fall into three categories. First & most reliable are the documents LEK filled out herself: if anyone knew where she lived, it would be her. Of course, she misled a little in what she wrote, but for the most part this information is the most accurate we can expect. The next category includes material from Ancestry.com because that material for LEK came from agent Velling, who can be considered a reliable source for LEK, & was drawn from materials he accessed but we haven’t identified or used. This information is generally reliable, but not quite as reliable as what LEK reports. Other information that I would put in this category would be any information drawn from Houston area phone books. The third category is any information drawn from ____.com I’ve looked at the entry for LEK, & while the addresses appear to be reliable the dates often contradict my own analyses. Since I’m aware that I make mistakes, I ran a sanity check by comparing what ____.com would say about some whose addresses I knew well – my father. While the addresses that source provides are often correct – & for some reason that source includes some real estate my step mother owned – the dates do not match known reality. For example, ____.com states he moved into the house I grew up five years after he & his stepmother sold it.

There is no clear evidence where LEK was living before July 1988. The page of notes indicate she was in the LA area in the late 1980s (at some point between 1984 & 1988), but not how long that was or precisely where in LA it was. Lacking further information, we can’t safely say how close to 1984 she was there, or if she was possibly there as late as 1989.

Her known location is in the courthouse in Boise, Idaho where she provided a local address – which is misspelled. Later interviews of the homeowners failed to connect her to this address; people who lived there at the time did not recognize her, let alone let her live there even for a few days, although they admitted that they gave shelter to runaways about that time. It is possible that LEK was one of those runaways & they simply didn’t recognize her from the photographs, or that she learned of the address thru an acquaintance who crashed there about that time, or simply picked the address at random from the local phone book. Since the street name is wrong, I doubt the first & third possibilities, & suspect someone gave her the address as “a good place for shelter”, which she used for the Idaho ID card.

In different documents – her SSN application, her financial aid for, & others – LEK stated that she had made Dallas her home July 1988. This is supported by the bogus letter of recommendation, which states she worked for its alleged author until July 1988. Where she lived in Dallas – in an apartment, as a roommate, moving from couch to couch, or simply homeless in Dallas – is unknown. It is likely she had no permanent address for the first years she lived in that city; when in July 1988 LEK needed an address for her passport application, she used an address in a strip mall -- 6102 Mockingbird #191, Dallas, Texas 75214 – which is most likely a mail drop along the lines of “Mailboxes, Inc.”

It is possible she lived somewhere nearby. The Northwest Bible Church in Dallas which features so prominently later in her life, is nearby. Unless she had a car – which is possible, but so far not evidenced – she would need to walk from home to that church.

We do not have a physical address for LEK until March 1990, almost two years from when she made Dallas her home. Tracing her locations, the reader may want to consult the useful map Linda9781 created in her post #97 in the third part of the main thread, dated 25 September 2015. (Link: http://multiplottr.com/?map_id=84337) In her passport application, LEK stated it was 6266 Melody Lane Apt 3079, Dallas, Texas 75231 (then called “Hyde Park”, & later “Tribeca on the Creek”). This is the same address she used when she took her GED tests in May of that year. And on her passport application she gave a phone number for Kelly Services, which had a local branch nearby. (Need to verify where this branch was between 1988-1992.) The fact this apartment is not far from the Mockingbird address suggests she had been living in the area.

One expansion I have to this list of addresses is to consider why LEK might live at a given address. Part of this involved compiling renter’s reviews of the apartments LEK lived in, & although the reviews start many years after she moved out, they provide a useful relative measure of the quality of the apartments: while good apartments do decline in quality over the years, & bad ones improve, usually their quality do not change that much over 10-15 years, & when this is the case, someone will mention it. In the case of the apartments on Melody Lane, the reviews are not positive; it sounds like the kind of apartment one lives at when one has no other choice, not enough money, or knows very little about Dallas. (A reputation confirmed in post #76 by leflautist in this thread, dated 6 June 2014: “The Melody Lane address has always been the slummy apartments in town. There is now an elementary school there but it has always been an area filled with drugs and crime. Not a place a woman would choose to live if they had a choice.”) It is no surprise that she lived here at most two years, possibly only one year.

Another factor I looked at was how long it would take to drive from one of her addresses to the NW Bible Church; many of the apartments she lived in are clustered along highway 183, & using this highway then following highway 12 takes the driver to this church. I’m speculating here, hopefully not too irresponsibly, that attending the NW Bible Church was one bit of stability in LEK’s life – although this speculation does lead to a complication I mention below. Anyway, according to Mapquest it would take LEK 10-20 minutes to drive from the Melody Lane apartments to this church, so I consider that she either started attending this church at this time, or if she started before 1990 she continued to attend. (Someone who knows the routes of the busses in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area during these years could check to see just how hard it would be for her to get to locations like this church from her various attested addresses; this might make clear whether she did have a car.)

Material found in Ancestry.com offers an address of 1992, 14400 Statler Blvd, Fort Worth, Texas at an unspecified date; from the same source, in 1993 she had a physical address not that far away at 3901 Oakridge Ct. Apt. 3815, Fort Worth, Texas 76155. Looking at the neighborhood, it appears these two addresses are different apartments in the same complex, which was called at the time “Gateway at Centrepoint” & later renamed “Crest Centrepoint”. She either moved to one apartment in 1992 then to the other the following year, or to one in 1993 & the other the following year; from the material we so far have, we have no information for where she lived in 1992 or 1994. Online reviews also portray these apartments negatively, but since her resume states she worked in Fort Worth between 1992 & 1998, she may have moved there to shorten her commute to work. An interesting contrast is that from these Centrepoint to the NW Bible Church, her commute ranged from 20 to 50 minutes, depending on traffic. (I can attest that a 50 minute commute is a tough one; hopefully Mapquest’s number was on the high end.)

LEK’s next known address again comes to us from Ancestry.com, dated to 1995: 200 Bear Creek Dr. Apt. 219, Euless, Texas, then named “Wildwood” & later “Palisades at Bear Creek”. What makes this address interesting is that LEK used about the same time the mailing address of Awakening Ministries (P.O. Box 810, Euless, Texas) which is located nearby. LEK must have known someone there, or attended services – which meant she may have stopped attending the NW Bible Church at this time. After all Mapquest estimates her commute to that church is 20-50 minutes. Around this time LEK started to attend University of Texas at Arlington, & Mapquest estimated her commute from Wildwood/Palisades to the UTA campus at 20-30 minutes.

According to online reviews, the Wildwood/Palisades also has a number of dissatisfied former residents – although not to the degree that the Centrepoint & Hyde Park/Tribeca on the Green have. (At this point I have to wonder: when an apartment complex acquires a subpar reputation, do the owners routinely change its name?) The impression I get from comparing the reviews for these apartments is that LEK was slowly moving to better living conditions; she was gradually improving her economic condition.

The next attested address for LEK, courtesy of her bankruptcy filings, is 2436 Harwood Rd, 387, Bedford, Texas. She was clearly living there March 1997, but I have the sense she may have moved there sometime the previous year: it doesn’t make much sense to move into a new apartment house & immediately declare bankruptcy; doing so invites a no-cause eviction due to understandable financial concerns of the manager & owner. (They’d be less concerned to evict a tenant who had built up a history of paying her rent on a regular basis if she declared bankruptcy; it’s always a challenge to find good tenants & keep them.)

The reviews of this apartment building are on the whole favorable; this is probably the nicest place LEK had lived since moving to the Dallas area. Her Texas driver’s license lists the Harwood Rd address as her permanent address, so I wouldn’t be surprised if she lived here until as late as 2002. UTA was 20-30 minutes away, & the NW Bible Church a more daunting 25-60 minutes.

About this time (circa 1997) evidence that LEK also used a mailing address stops. It may be that by living at the Harwood address for several years, she had no need for a mailing address; she had a permanent address for once. Or it may be that whomever she using the mailing address to receive mail while hiding her new name & location in Houston stopped writing her. Or this may simply be an artifact created from inconsistent surviving evidence, & LEK actually maintained a mail box for years afterwards. But my guess is that she stopped paying for a mail box about this time, possibly due to one of these reasons – or because with her student loan & bankruptcy debt she needed to cut all unnecessary expenses.

LEK lived at the Harwood address until around August 2002. There are a couple of reasons to pick this date for when she moved to 1978 Oak Creek Lane #16 Bedford, TX. One is indirect evidence from her resume. A common practice with resumes is, when revising one, to simply add new information at the top & not review or revise existing text; & a reasoned examination of this document shows that the quality & content of the earlier entries don’t match what she wrote later. If LEK had done this, it explains why the resume begins in July 1992, years before she started college & 4 years after she came to Houston: she wanted to prove to someone she had 10 years of experience in her field, & 10 years from July 1992 points to July 2002, one month before she quit NCH.

If you're interested, go here and search for Lori Kennedy. I am trying to figure out if the item from 1994 is "THE" Lori. It's actually derived from a criminal case from 1991.

http://countyclerkrecords.co.collin.tx.us/webinquiry/docsearch.aspx
Looking at that, I'm wondering if the 1994 item isn't tied to the one below it. In the 2000s. (Forgot the year. Sorry. Already closed the browser. ) Both are Abstract Judgments, but the second is NISI, which is an intermediate judgment which becomes final if there's no objection from the court. The second appears to be liability reduced on a bond due to a couple of different reasons. The one in 1994 also has to do with a bond. Hmmm. (Thinking aloud.)

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise stated.*

Just talked to my mom and she has no memory of Chelsea's Tea Room in this shopping center. She rattled off a bunch of other things there that were there when she frequented the area from 2000-2005. She was spot-on for several of the businesses that were there at the time.

I did a quick search for tenants and found a video listing the occupants of Lincoln Court Shopping Center in 2010. BOOM there it is - Chelsea's Tea Room and Boutique at the 2:06 mark. So maybe it really did start up around the time that the website was put up (~2007?)

[video=youtube;pLAhmNKGPXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLAhmNKGPXg[/video]

Respectively snipped to address just this specific content:

Just some musings on some recent topics...

There was no public transportation for the D-FW metroplex back then (not sure if there is now). I would have considered it a long drive to go from Ft. Worth to Dallas but Hurst-Euless-Bedford and Arlington/Grand Prairie are kind of in the middle. Not such a bad drive from Ft. Worth. She would have definitely had a car and really did hop around in terms of housing.

Dallas has DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit). Fort Worth has "The T". There's also Express Bus, and TRE. Some of these service through to the DFW and Denton areas.

There has been public transportation in the way of commuter busses in the DFW metroplex for several decades.

In my family everyone loves football, horse races, live music, water sports, and cooking. If you don't, you will not be joining the family. Maybe the entire family loved a good tea party? We all support any news business inlaws open. Did FLEK? I did a quick search Lori @ndrews. Mother is Jackson. I'm NOT saying it is her. JMO worth looking at.

I say that because part of the package is dressing up little girls like princesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interestingly, Lori's property didn't exactly go through probate. One of their neighbors, who was also the pastor giving them marriage counseling, provided a document "AFFIDAVIT OF HEIRSHIP" in Fannin County TX. Apparently, this type of affidavit is used to avoid probate. There are various forms that can be found on the web to use for this, but the document filed was not a form exactly, but was a typed list of claims being attested to. It can be found here:

https://www.texaslandrecords.com/txlr/TxlrApp/index.jsp

Info on Texas Affidavit of Heirship:

"A Texas Affidavit of Heirship is a simple form used to transfer property instead of going through probate when a person dies without a will. The Texas Affidavit of Heirship is the instrument of choice when all heirs agree to not probate the will"

http://heirship.com/2009/10/texas-affidavit-of-heirship.html
I don't know Texas law, but if her estate never went through probate, then it is extremely unlikely that there is an executor or personal representative for her estate with the legal authority to posthumously obtain her medical records.

Now that you point that out I realize it's true. Is it likely at all she kept contact with somebody from her past through the years? Or maybe they were just bills, catalogues and stuff...
This is just a theory--pure speculation on my part--but I have no reason to doubt that she somehow kept contact with somebody from her past.

Again--if she were running from somebody or something from her past, whether it be an abusive spouse, a cult, or organized crime, I would find it much more likely that she would confide this with people she trusted in her "new" life. This, by all accounts, never happened.

Yet if she confided with somebody she trusted in her "old" life the circumstances and details of her identity changes--wouldn't that person (providing her judgment in trusting that person is sound) respect her wishes and not come forward now?

Again, sheer speculation, but it goes back to my gut feeling that her identity change was motivated by shame, rather than fear.

FWIW my original birth certificate was issued in the late 80s, but in the early 2000s I needed a new copy because the original was really tattered. They look COMPLETELY different. All of my info is the same though. So even if a new copy was requested, it would likely look very different than the original, which could make the original seem fake. IMO the BST birth certificate found in the lock box was legit but that's just me going off my intuition.
I had to get a new copy of my birth certificate about five years ago. Cost me $75.

According to the Seattle Times article, she fought their involvement in hers & Blake's lives before & after the wedding at every turn. One reason LEK & her in-laws never got along. ISTR reading one story (I can't find it now) stating that during family get-togethers, when all the women were busy in the kitchen together, she'd slip away & take a nap.

Did I say I suspected LEK had problems interacting with other people? RE-reading the original Seattle Times article puts that fact in sharp relief. You could say it was shyness manifesting itself as aloofness, or that she didn't get along with most people, but she definitely was socially challenged.
Maybe she had narcolepsy. Seriously. I mean, taking a nap? As antisocial behaviors go, that ranks right up there with wearing white shoes after Labor Day.

I'm skeptical about the veracity of that Seattle Times article, partly because I don't think that writer interviewed anybody other than her husband and her in-laws--who clearly seemed to despise her, specifically complaining about:

1. She never told them that she illegally changed her identity.
2. She "fought" her in-laws "at every turn". How did she fight them? What did they fight over? Money? Sports teams? Politics? What?
3. During family get-togethers, she would slip away to take a nap. OMFG! We don't know how many times this happened, and we don't really even know the circumstances under which these so-called "naps" occurred, but by God, we're led to believe that this could only be the behavior of a deranged shrew.

What else? DId she routinely fail to rewind movies she rented at Blockbuster? Wipe off the handle of her shopping cart with hand sanitizer every time she shopped? Disagree with her mother-in-law about whether Lite beer tasted great or had less filling?

My grandfather made an art form out of dozing off at family get-togethers, and I'm determined to carry on his legacy.

Looking at that, I'm wondering if the 1994 item isn't tied to the one below it. In the 2000s. (Forgot the year. Sorry. Already closed the browser. ) Both are Abstract Judgments, but the second is NISI, which is an intermediate judgment which becomes final if there's no objection from the court. The second appears to be liability reduced on a bond due to a couple of different reasons. The one in 1994 also has to do with a bond. Hmmm. (Thinking aloud.)

I agree the 1994 and 2012 documents are most likely the same LK. The 2012 document has an address for LK in Dallas, TX. I checked it, it's a 4 unit apartment building. It appears to have had the same owner at least 2010. I can't see before 2010. I tried to find any tenants with the Kennedy but nothing came up.

Maybe she had narcolepsy. Seriously. I mean, taking a nap? As antisocial behaviors go, that ranks right up there with wearing white shoes after Labor Day.

I'm skeptical about the veracity of that Seattle Times article, partly because I don't think that writer interviewed anybody other than her husband and her in-laws--who clearly seemed to despise her, specifically complaining about:

1. She never told them that she illegally changed her identity.
2. She "fought" her in-laws "at every turn". How did she fight them? What did they fight over? Money? Sports teams? Politics? What?
3. During family get-togethers, she would slip away to take a nap. OMFG! We don't know how many times this happened, and we don't really even know the circumstances under which these so-called "naps" occurred, but by God, we're led to believe that this could only be the behavior of a deranged shrew.

What else? DId she routinely fail to rewind movies she rented at Blockbuster? Wipe off the handle of her shopping cart with hand sanitizer every time she shopped? Disagree with her mother-in-law about whether Lite beer tasted great or had less filling?

My grandfather made an art form out of dozing off at family get-togethers, and I'm determined to carry on his legacy.
I've wondered this, also. Was it a Thanksgiving and she was sleepy from a meal heavy on the turkey? She was pregnant, and needed to rest after a couple of family activities? So the Ruffs considered a couple of legitimate instances as "all the time"? I actually had in laws like that at one time. If you did something more than once, you did it "allll the time" regardless of what it was. I found it strange looking through the pictures of LER while she was attending various functions in the community and with family that she actually looks like a pleasant person. The impression that I personally got from the Seattle Times article was that Lori was a dreary, sour, hateful person. So my opinion is that the article is very one sided.

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise stated. *

I agree the 1994 and 2012 documents are most likely the same LK. The 2012 document has an address for LK in Dallas, TX. I checked it, it's a 4 unit apartment building. It appears to have had the same owner at least 2010. I can't see before 2010. I tried to find any tenants with the Kennedy but nothing came up.

If they are connected then it's likely not our LEK. When I clicked on the 2012 record I noticed it had the middle initial A on the paperwork.

ETA: And of course I just realized that's probably what you were saying too. Since Lori died in 2010. Sorry. :facepalm:

I've wondered this, also. Was it a Thanksgiving and she was sleepy from a meal heavy on the turkey? She was pregnant, and needed to rest after a couple of family activities? So the Ruffs considered a couple of legitimate instances as "all the time"? I actually had in laws like that at one time. If you did something more than once, you did it "allll the time" regardless of what it was. I found it strange looking through the pictures of LER while she was attending various functions in the community and with family that she actually looks like a pleasant person. The impression that I personally got from the Seattle Times article was that was a dreary, sour, hateful person. So my opinion is that the article is very one sided.

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise stated. *

Agree, agree, agreeeeeee! IIRC, our Lori had miscarriageS and that indicates multiple pregnancies and multiple follow-up medical procedures. There were likely early miscarriages that Blake could be unaware of. Our Lori is not likely to defend herself with MIL, Blake is not likely speak up either.

We indeed have a one-sided portrayal. Pray that the daughter receives better!

Gosh, we've worked for years, studying her Mom. Young Lady Ruff, your Mom matters to us. I expect you are tall & have dark, wavy hair? I hope you have the opportunities to learn plenty & experience new things & new places!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne