Found Deceased TX - Maleah Davis, 4, Houston, 5 May 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG! I didn’t think it could get worse and know it has! Why was she with this man and woman? Why was she left with this man! No more sympathy for Mom! DONE!
Actually, it could just be that "she was living with relatives" could mean her mother? MOO
I think that’s a mistake. I’ve seen other that said she was living with relatives “while in custody”. She has obviously been returned to her parents. Right?
Yes, either a mistake or by relatives they mean her mother and "step-father." MOO

Why did missing 4-year-old Maleah Davis need brain surgery? | khou.com

"....When Maleah got out of ICU, doctors ordered that she wear a helmet for 12-24 months while she healed.
Doctors said the injury and explanation did not add up and suspected abuse, according to court records.

“Maleah Davis suffered traumatic brain injury with evidence of more than one injury while in the possession of her mother Brittany Bowens and the mother’s paramour, Derion Vence,” court records read. “Neither caregiver had an explanation that was consistent with the injury.”..

Brittany Bowens and the mother’s paramour, Derion Vence.

CPS still has temporary custody of Maleah. The next court date is set for May 22. ..."

Emphasis Mine

What the... half of her skull had to be removed after a fall where she bumped her head on the table ?
I think not.
A wealth of new info. here.

And her helmet ... was she wearing this when abducted ?
Interesting choice of words... "... the mother's paramour..."
As if the news is nicely saying her 'baby daddy'.
Keeping it classy, msm .

Neither caregiver had an explanation for the injuries to Maleah that would satisfy either doctors or CPS. So why did the judge return her ?
There are vibes in Maleah's situation that echo AJ Freund's case.

Sitting on the fence a bit about BB. She must have known what DV was like.
MOO

Same link, last sentence above the video of mom “CPS’s Butler also said Maleah was living with relatives when she was abducted and that the agency has assigned extra staff to work on the case.“

So a relative is responsible for DV having her?
If so, shame on them, omg.
I’m really afraid there’s a lot more here than murder, I do believe she’s dead. Moo

Last edited:
Why did missing 4-year-old Maleah Davis need brain surgery? | khou.com

"....When Maleah got out of ICU, doctors ordered that she wear a helmet for 12-24 months while she healed.
Doctors said the injury and explanation did not add up and suspected abuse, according to court records.

“Maleah Davis suffered traumatic brain injury with evidence of more than one injury while in the possession of her mother Brittany Bowens and the mother’s paramour, Derion Vence,” court records read. “Neither caregiver had an explanation that was consistent with the injury.”..

Brittany Bowens and the mother’s paramour, Derion Vence.

CPS still has temporary custody of Maleah. The next court date is set for May 22. ..."

Emphasis Mine

What the... half of her skull had to be removed after a fall where she bumped her head on the table ?
I think not.
A wealth of new info. here.

And her helmet ... was she wearing this when abducted ?
Interesting choice of words... "... the mother's paramour..."
As if the news is nicely saying her 'baby daddy'.
Keeping it classy, msm .

Neither caregiver had an explanation for the injuries to Maleah that would satisfy either doctors or CPS. So why did the judge return her ?
There are vibes in Maleah's situation that echo AJ Freund's case.

Sitting on the fence a bit about BB. She must have known what DV was like.
MOO

Yeah, sure doesn’t sound like a bump on a coffee table, huh? Most kids have encounters with furniture multiple times but not to such an extreme.
He needs to give up, forget about the Hispanics that do not exist, just tell LE where she is. Moo

CPS took MD and sibling from their home last August, and placed them under the care of a family member until Feb 2019.

The court then (Feb) returned the children under monitored conditions to BB.

The children are still considered under temporary custody of DFSS until May 22, 2019 hearing where court will hear the monitoring report, etc., and decide if permanent custody should be restored to parent(s).

Technically, MD was still under supervision of DFSS when she went missing.

MOO

ETA: Public record indicates the family member filed a motion for intervention last Feb -- trying to stop the return of children to parent but it was Judge decision to allow the children to return home with BB.
This just made me so sad. The family member tried to intervene and keep those babies for a reason. And the judge dismissed those concerns.

...so, was he afraid she’d be out of the home again & when her mom was out of town, he thought he’d take advantage of having her under his charge? He makes me sick.
So much for family reunification!
Again, quit giving monsters a do-over.

Last edited:
<modsnipped personal anecdote>

Many parents don't go or finish the classes, and many parents can be sweet as pie in front of others especially the courts and cps. Way too many kids are props in facebook and other social media- see how much I love my children? I guess a picture says it all?

Last edited by a moderator:
This just made me so sad. The family member tried to intervene and keep those babies for a reason. And the judge dismissed those concerns.

Ditto with AJ Freund. Nope, gotta reunite him with his bio mom. Who cares she’s a mentally ill addict? She took a parenting, anger management & drug class. Disgusting.

Stefania Okolie on Twitter
Law enforcement sources say Maleah’s stepfather has gone back and forth between saying he walked to the hospital and a stranger dropped him off. Detectives are looking into video that shows him being dropped off at Methodist Hospital. #Abc13 Maleah Davis' stepdad changed story while reporting her missing: Police
4:25 PM - 8 May 2019

Marla Carter on Twitter
VIDEO: Look at this flooding in Sugar Land. They saw 8 inches of rain in 4 hours. To give you perspective, the city saw the same amount of rain in 3 days during Harvey. https://abc13.com/weather/day-2-of-severe-weather-heavy-rain-could-bring-more-flooding/39346/ …
12:22 PM - 8 May 2019

When a person takes a really good knock to the head, don't they usually/sometimes/rarely have a memory loss surrounding the event and the time leading up to it? POI has a pretty good recollection of what went on. Does anyone know if a really good knock to the head could cause false memories? And yes, I'm playing devil's advocate here.

ETA It doesn't seem the injury was even that bad since the hospital did not want to keep and observe him and do all the standard tests. So pretty unlikely, but how bad does a hit need to be for memory loss?

Why did missing 4-year-old Maleah Davis need brain surgery?
[...]

KHOU 11 Investigates spent the last few days going through court records and discovered the answer -- and although the information reveals some family issues and allegations of abuse, it's not being shared to point a finger at one person or to try to influence public opinion.

[...]

The state got involved after a seizure and head injury sent Maleah to the hospital in August.

Maleah was living with her grandmother, mother Brittany Bowens, and Bowens’ boyfriend, Derion Vence, and only went to the hospital at the urging of her grandmother, who was at work at the time of Maleah's injury, according to court records.

[...]

Doctors had to perform a “craniectomy to relieve pressure” and remove half of her skull, according to documents. When Maleah got out of ICU, doctors ordered that she wear a helmet for 12-24 months while she healed. Doctors said the injury and explanation did not add up and suspected abuse, according to court records.

This was not Maleah's first trip to the emergency room.

[...]

Bowens said Maleah was hurt after falling from a chair, but that “would not have caused the serious internal injuries, which required half of Maleah’s skull to be removed,” medical professionals said in court documents.

“Maleah Davis suffered traumatic brain injury with evidence of more than one injury while in the possession of her mother Brittany Bowens and the mother’s paramour, Derion Vence,” court records read. “Neither caregiver had an explanation that was consistent with the injury.”

The case worker with CPS eventually concluded there was “reason to believe” there was “neglectful supervision” on Bowens’ part, but nothing more. In the end, “the doctor could not confirm whether or not injuries were caused by abuse,” court records read.

[...]
It's concerning that Maleah likely suffered prior abuse and right now it looks like DV is responsible but at the same time as of a couple days ago the mother was defending him. I hope that's changed now.

For the time being my focus is on DV for obvious reasons but I'm confident that if anyone else abused Maleah at any time it'll come out eventually.

LE and msm reported DV was treated for "minor injuries" but we've been given no specifics such as did he have any kind of defensive wounds on his hands or arms in an attempt to fight off the phantom kidnappers? And no explanation of how a minor head injury could cause unconsciousness for nearly 24 hours.

But that's old news. Assuming the worst, the longer it takes to find Maleah the harder it will be to determine COD and I'm afraid even the dumbest criminals are learning that. By the time DV speaks the truth (or rather his truth, likely about some "accident") the case may be difficult to prove anything more than second-degree murder or even manslaughter. I hope I'm wrong. JMO.

Final question for now: Was Maleah wearing her helmet? If not, why not?

I'm a bit confused here.

This briefly mentions other injuries (like Nick Valencia report). Medical professionals believe abuse...but then couldn't say it was abuse. Caseworker said maybe neglect in supervision, but that's all. And she was in the care of relatives at the time she was abducted??

No. She was in the care of DV (mothers boyfriend/partner) when child was allegedly abducted.

MD was previously under care of family (Aug 2018 - Feb 2019) when court returned children to mother.

As there was no proof MD head injury caused by abuse, there were no criminal charges ever filed against parent(s) -- only removal of children and return under monitored conditions.

Hearing previously set for May 22, 2019 to determine if monitored custody should continue or not.

Last edited:
As soon as the first thread was posted here, it reminded me of Lonzie Barton GUILTY - FL - Lonzie Barton, 2, Jacksonville, 24 July 2015 - #1

It's only going to get worse for DV, IMO. He's already told me enough with his choices of actions. Once LE comes back to him with video and phone records, he's going to wish he'd done things differently, IMO.

It's concerning that Maleah likely suffered prior abuse and right now it looks like DV is responsible but at the same time as of a couple days ago the mother was defending him. I hope that's changed now.

For the time being my focus is on DV for obvious reasons but I'm confident that if anyone else abused Maleah at any time it'll come out eventually.

LE and msm reported DV was treated for "minor injuries" but we've been given no specifics such as did he have any kind of defensive wounds on his hands or arms in an attempt to fight off the phantom kidnappers? And no explanation of how a minor head injury could cause unconsciousness for nearly 24 hours.

But that's old news. Assuming the worst, the longer it takes to find Maleah the harder it will be to determine COD and I'm afraid even the dumbest criminals are learning that. By the time DV speaks the truth (or rather his truth, likely about some "accident") the case may be difficult to prove anything more than second-degree murder or even manslaughter. I hope I'm wrong. JMO.

I wish I could help, but I have the same questions. It seems to me we would have heard about other injuries (defensive wounds) if he had any. Maybe, maybe not... I wonder if LE found her helmet in the apartment. :(

BBM, I'm going to assume she wasn't, because DV doesn't strike me as a caring, attentive, or thoughtful parent/guardian/paramour, JMO.

All speculation...

If MD was being abused then the day she was vomiting blood in July could have been the day her brain was injured in a severe beating (a la AJ Freund’s March beating before his death in April). The minor fall from the table could have looked bloody (kinda like DV’s minor head wound looks bloody...) but doctors maybe wouldn’t have had reason to expect it would cause a huge brain injury and so they didn’t do the CT until that later date when she had the seizure.

So she could have had that brain injury for weeks (again just like I suspect AJ did).

The difference though is that MD’s injury was treated. She should have been okay unless not properly cared for or abused again. I don’t think the brain injury caused her death.

All JMO, and not pointing fingers at anyone specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm