Found Deceased TX - Maleah Davis, 4, Houston, 5 May 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I read that right? Relatives had temporary custody when she went missing?

CPS took MD and sibling from their home last August, and placed them under the care of a family member until Feb 2019.

The court then (Feb) returned the children under monitored conditions to BB.

The children are still considered under temporary custody of DFSS until May 22, 2019 hearing where court will hear the monitoring report, etc., and decide if permanent custody should be restored to parent(s).

Technically, MD was still under supervision of DFSS when she went missing.

MOO

ETA: Public record indicates the family member filed a motion for intervention last Feb -- trying to stop the return of children to parent but it was Judge decision to allow the children to return home with BB.

Last edited:
This may have already been posted, but Tim Miller was out in a helicopter searching for Maleah this afternoon.
Taisha Walker‏ @KPRC2Taisha
Although Texas Equusearch suspended its ground search for Meleah Davis and the missing Nissan Altima, it’s founder continued to look for both in the Brazos River this morning by helicopter. @KPRC2

0:10
3:47 PM - 8 May 2019

Ivory Hecker FOX 26

‪Happening Now: Mother of missing 4-year-old Maleah Davis is visibly emotional as she begins another day handing out flyers and searching for her daughter. Brittany Bowens (in red) is searching near the home she has shared with Maleah and her fiancé Darion Vence.‬ She tells me Darion proposed to her a few weeks ago.

—-

Interesting screenshot in the comments. MOO
That's an understatement. Hope LE is watching......

Where are you reading that? Or, are we talking about the same link? This is what I see in the article:

CPS has had temporary custody of Maleah since August. But a judge in February ordered a “monitored return” home to Bowens, where “the case worker could go at least once a month to check on the family,” according to CPS spokeswoman Tiffani Butler.
Same link, last sentence above the video of mom “CPS’s Butler also said Maleah was living with relatives when she was abducted and that the agency has assigned extra staff to work on the case.“

Where do you see she was supposed to be with another family member?
I just found it. It's one sentence about 1/2 way down the page, sandwiched between an ad and a video. o_O

CPS’s Butler also said Maleah was living with relatives when she was abducted and that the agency has assigned extra staff to work on the case.
Same link, last sentence above the video of mom “CPS’s Butler also said Maleah was living with relatives when she was abducted and that the agency has assigned extra staff to work on the case.“
Thank you! I found it after I posted - I deleted my post but you were too quick!
They hid it well, lol. :oops:

Last edited:
Why did missing 4-year-old Maleah Davis need brain surgery?
[...]

KHOU 11 Investigates spent the last few days going through court records and discovered the answer -- and although the information reveals some family issues and allegations of abuse, it's not being shared to point a finger at one person or to try to influence public opinion.

[...]

The state got involved after a seizure and head injury sent Maleah to the hospital in August.

Maleah was living with her grandmother, mother Brittany Bowens, and Bowens’ boyfriend, Derion Vence, and only went to the hospital at the urging of her grandmother, who was at work at the time of Maleah's injury, according to court records.

[...]

Doctors had to perform a “craniectomy to relieve pressure” and remove half of her skull, according to documents. When Maleah got out of ICU, doctors ordered that she wear a helmet for 12-24 months while she healed. Doctors said the injury and explanation did not add up and suspected abuse, according to court records.

This was not Maleah's first trip to the emergency room.

[...]

Bowens said Maleah was hurt after falling from a chair, but that “would not have caused the serious internal injuries, which required half of Maleah’s skull to be removed,” medical professionals said in court documents.

“Maleah Davis suffered traumatic brain injury with evidence of more than one injury while in the possession of her mother Brittany Bowens and the mother’s paramour, Derion Vence,” court records read. “Neither caregiver had an explanation that was consistent with the injury.”

The case worker with CPS eventually concluded there was “reason to believe” there was “neglectful supervision” on Bowens’ part, but nothing more. In the end, “the doctor could not confirm whether or not injuries were caused by abuse,” court records read.

[...]
Thanks for posting this. I have had so many questions about this. A craniectomy is a surgery where they take a piece of skull out to relieve pressure and don’t immediately replace it. At the presser the detective mentioned the recent surgery was revision of a flap or something similar. I am wondering if they replaced the bone flap during her most recent surgery. This is concerning to me for a few reasons, most of which is that children missing their flap or with newly reimplanted flaps are at risk for reinjury, thus the need for a helmet. It is basically like walking around with no brain protection due to a healing weak spot in your skull. Would be very easy to reinjure a child with no helmet in this condition whether by accident or not.
This is all my opinion based on my knowledge as a nurse with lots of neuro experience.

Where do you see she was supposed to be with another family member?
On the link PommyMommy posted saying “why did she need brain surgery” the last sentence says “CPS’s Butler also said Maleah was living with relatives when she was abducted and that the agency has assigned extra staff to work on the case.“ so why wasn’t she with said relatives?

I just found it. It's one sentence about 1/2 way down the page, sandwiched between an ad and a video. o_O

CPS’s Butler also said Maleah was living with relatives when she was abducted and that the agency has assigned extra staff to work on the case.
I think that’s a mistake. I’ve seen other that said she was living with relatives “while in custody”. She has obviously been returned to her parents. Right?

OMG! I didn’t think it could get worse and know it has! Why was she with this man and woman? Why was she left with this man! No more sympathy for Mom! DONE!

I think they mean her mom is the relative as in not in foster/state care?

I had a wee rant about his holier than swiss story yesterday, and I agree with you.

The remark about Maleah was an absurd detail that he included to give 'motive', and mentioning regaining consciousness in the truck was simply to show 'we were taken somewhere - the last time I saw Maleah she was in the mean mens truck'

It paints this insane mental image, of 3 dudes hanging out, chatting about how much they like sweet little girls, and decide to drive around hoping they can find someone with car trouble that has one with them. 'Oh, we don't know what to do now, let's take the grown up and the baby for a joy ride before getting rid of them'.

DV is a LOT of things, but a genius is not one of them.

"And while we drive around with them we'll make sure to care for and tote around a 1 year old child"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm