GUILTY TX - Maliyah 'Tootie' Bass, 2, Houston, 22 Aug 2020 *arrests* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I actually had a physical reaction to that dude's performance, it was grotesquely obvious he was lying. So is he also lying when he points the finger at Mom and says she beat that poor baby with a brush? Are we to believe that's the looped pattern on her body?
I don't think we will know the full story of what happened to Maliyah until we are able to read the autopsy report, the arrest affidavit or we hear it from investigators. According to the ME, her wounds were consistent with a metal hanger or an electrical cord. It was Thompson who stated that Ervin beat her with a hairbrush, and we already know he is deceptive.

And yes, his performance was laughable. He comes across as a liar and a con man, although a terrible one. He pointed fingers at LE, claiming the search dogs passed out and the helicopter ran out of gas. He set the stage early on that everything bad that happens is someone else's fault. A predator took Maliyah and police weren't searching properly for her. We've heard that story before.

He apparently already has five previous convictions, including assault with a deadly weapon. We don't know what the other charges are or who else he may have victimized. I'm surprised no one has found his previous record. I would be interested to know his criminal history since it began at such a young age.

I find it hard to believe that the beating was a one time occurance and he just stood by and watched as "his baby" was beaten and abused so severely that she had a broken arm. He would either try to intervene or he was a willing accomplice or participant himself.

I actually had a physical reaction to that dude's performance, it was grotesquely obvious he was lying. So is he also lying when he points the finger at Mom and says she beat that poor baby with a brush? Are we to believe that's the looped pattern on her body?
If he was the one who murdered her, she would've already put the blame on him. I don't doubt he was violent with Maliyah too, but he might not be lying about her being the one who ultimately killed her.

It was certain one of these miscreants would turn on the other. The bio "mother's" attempt at looking insane during her booking with that big grin isn't going to get her anywhere. She should be shaking in her boots thinking about how the inmates will receive her, and that Texas knows how to handle it's business. If there is any small positive in this, its that it happened in Texas. The people of Texas will insure justice for this little soul.

Amateur opinion and speculation

[QUOTE="MsBetsy, post: 16410725, member: 227504"
I find it hard to believe that the beating was a one time occurance and he just stood by and watched as "his baby" was beaten and abused so severely that she had a broken arm. He would either try to intervene or he was a willing accomplice or participant himself.[/QUOTE]

Respectfully snipped for commentary focus, and BBM. Not necessarily. He could have been so loaded, or apathetic that he didn't do anything. Is it criminal to not intervene and lend aide? I think a good attorney could likely argue this point, and position it as him being complicit; even if he himself didn't beat her. We do know it certainly *appears* that he is guilty of abuse of a corpse. I didn't catch whether he confessed to that or not.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I find it hard to believe that the beating was a one time occurance and he just stood by and watched as "his baby" was beaten and abused so severely that she had a broken arm. He would either try to intervene or he was a willing accomplice or participant himself.

Respectfully snipped for commentary focus, and BBM. Not necessarily. He could have been so loaded, or apathetic that he didn't do anything. Is it criminal to not intervene and lend aide? I think a good attorney could likely argue this point, and position it as him being complicit; even if he himself didn't beat her. We do know it certainly *appears* that he is guilty of abuse of a corpse. I didn't catch whether he confessed to that or not.

Amateur opinion and speculation[/QUOTE]
I believe the disposal of the body was part of the "confession", and he's on camera too. I don't know how it works legally, but not aiding a child that is being abused in any way seems pretty criminal to me. If he saw it happening and did nothing, is he responsible? Maybe. She wasn't his child, but his whole big story about teaching her this and that might come back to bite him and it can be argued that he was in a position of trust so, he's responsible too. What is he gonna do, say that he lied and was never a father-figure to Maliyah? He's on camera saying that he teached her the ABC's and whatever else.

This is heart breaking. There are truly no words for this.

A life that should have been full of light, love and happiness has been denied Maliyah, I can only hope that the monsters who did this to her, pay for this abhorrent crime and never get to see the light of day or experience one second of joy again - they deserve nothing but the harshest sentence. imo

Well, they can try to argue that both had been using drugs but that's not much of a defense, since it points to neglect. If he was coherent enough to provide specific details, then he should have known the child was in danger. He remembered that Maliyah was crying, wouldn't go to sleep, was beaten with a hairbrush, and that she was naked when they put her in a closet.

They are both charged with "injury to a child" and tampering with evidence. Court records indicate they are accused of not providing medical care after her injuries. Thompson is accused of failing to protect Maliyah from her mother. They had all night to consider taking Maliyah to a hospital or calling 911. Instead they walked to the store and didn't check on her until the next morning.

Since both he and Maliyah's mother were primary caretakers, then yes, I would say it is a crime not to intervene and do nothing to ensure the safety of the child. They may have been intoxicated at the time but that is not an excuse. The prosecution could argue that if he remembered all those details, he was coherent at the time. Being "complicit" points to his involvement.

We haven't heard the whole story yet. Ervin likely knows by now that her boyfriend has implicated her and for all we know she might put the blame on him. Apparently the attorney is waiting to see the evidence.

Edited- sorry, this is in reply to Lusitana's post above. The OP seems to be a broken quote.

Yes, exactly. By his own account, he was in a position of trust and responsible for her care. He taught her the "ABC's and the 123's." He called her his baby and his mother was referred to as the grandmother. He broke her toy chest so he gave her a pillow case to carry her toys in, he made sure she knew where her house was, and what ever else he was blubbering about. Good thing he has such a big mouth.

ETA. Yes, they have Direct Evidence of Thompson dumping the body in the storm drain, so they don't need a confession. I'm assuming both will plead not guilty, though.

Last edited:
Maliyah's biological father reacts to arrests:

Maliyah Bass' biological father reacts to mother's arrest

Octavious Bass said:
he had invited Sahara and Thompson to the funeral but they didn't show up

Sahara X'd him out of Maliyah's life "when she got the dude".

Says he doesn't care if you're on drugs or booze or got things going on in your life it doesn't give you the right to take your anger out on the child.

Says she deserves to get life in prison, she should never get out, he hopes she rots in prison.
He lives in Dallas? About 3.5 hour drive.
And wouldn’t his parents be Maliyah’s grandparents not your latest boyfriends mother?

He lives in Dallas? About 3.5 hour drive.
And wouldn’t his parents be Maliyah’s grandparents not your latest boyfriends mother?
Yeah, not super far away but also not "I'm just going to come and take the baby out for lunch" close. He wanted her to go to Dallas and spend time there with him for a while, maybe he was home because of COVID and thought it would be the best time to spend time with his daughter. I think she was so enamoured with her new man that she really wanted him to be the father of her kid, it happens a lot actually, which makes a lot of sense and goes with his "I did all of these things for her and I didn't have too, I'm not her real father" speech. Maliyah talking to her daddy on the phone and going to Dallas to spend time with him would destroy that fantasy for her, so she stopped letting him talk to the baby. Just my opinion, of course.

I don't think we will know the full story of what happened to Maliyah until we are able to read the autopsy report, the arrest affidavit or we hear it from investigators. According to the ME, her wounds were consistent with a metal hanger or an electrical cord. It was Thompson who stated that Ervin beat her with a hairbrush, and we already know he is deceptive.

And yes, his performance was laughable. He comes across as a liar and a con man, although a terrible one. He pointed fingers at LE, claiming the search dogs passed out and the helicopter ran out of gas. He set the stage early on that everything bad that happens is someone else's fault. A predator took Maliyah and police weren't searching properly for her. We've heard that story before.

He apparently already has five previous convictions, including assault with a deadly weapon. We don't know what the other charges are or who else he may have victimized. I'm surprised no one has found his previous record. I would be interested to know his criminal history since it began at such a young age.

His criminal record was found online quite some time ago and discussed
Have you been in this thread long? Depending on source, like SM or FB, it may not be permitted to be posted here.

Yeah, not super far away but also not "I'm just going to come and take the baby out for lunch" close. He wanted her to go to Dallas and spend time there with him for a while, maybe he was home because of COVID and thought it would be the best time to spend time with his daughter. I think she was so enamoured with her new man that she really wanted him to be the father of her kid, it happens a lot actually, which makes a lot of sense and goes with his "I did all of these things for her and I didn't have too, I'm not her real father" speech. Maliyah talking to her daddy on the phone and going to Dallas to spend time with him would destroy that fantasy for her, so she stopped letting him talk to the baby. Just my opinion, of course.
In his first interview Octavious Bass said the previous summer Maliyah had stayed with him and his family for about a month and that's what he wanted to do again.
That interview is in the original pre-arrest thread.

Maliyah Bass: Mother, boyfriend dumped Houston toddler’s body in sewer drain after beating death

Sahara's bond is high not just because of the crime, but she is a flight risk. People in Dallas and Michigan have sent her money and she tried asking her mom to live with in Arkansas and mom said NO.

This article also says Thompson hit Maliyah with a blunt object.
Sahara is originally from Michigan? She moved from Michigan to Texas? Who was she staying with in Michigan?
How the heck were they supporting themselves? Drugs?

I’ll never understand ... people have to get a license to get married, go to court to get divorced...qualify to adopt a child, even qualify to adopt a pet...but anyone can have a baby ... it’s just not right...some people should not have kids...period! moo

His criminal record was found online quite some time ago and discussed
Have you been in this thread long? Depending on source, like SM or FB, it may not be permitted to be posted here.
Yes, it wouldn't have been allowed here before the arrest or unless he was declared to be a suspect. I have not seen his record posted here. As long as there is a court record it can be linked. Can you give me an idea of what pages it was discussed on?

What was he convicted of before he was on probation and was charged with assault? I know he has a history of drug use, as does the mother, but I was curious if he had been convicted of any other violent crimes. I thought I read somewhere that he was involved in a burglary but I don't remember the source.

Sahara is originally from Michigan? She moved from Michigan to Texas? Who was she staying with in Michigan?
How the heck were they supporting themselves? Drugs?
I'm unclear why she moved but her involvement with Octavious Bass, whose family live in Dallas, may be connected. She has family and friends in Michigan, but her mom now lives in Arkansas!
Anyone with more on her history correct me if I'm wrong.
How they support themselves is a very hazy subject isn't it?
I know a child in residence qualifies you for some assistance, no info whether Bass provided child support, and Thompson supposedly worked for a short time at an area business and lost his job.
There may be sources we can only speculate...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shevet
Back