Found Deceased TX - Maliyah 'Tootie' Bass, 2, Houston, 22 Aug 2020 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That and the request for 25K! What for? There are no searches needed. And I am sure the funeral could be mostly donated by local funeral home.

What is the money for?

I believe the funeral is being paid for by the state,; it makes me sad to think that might mean she's buried in Potters Field.

The request for so much money is from bf's mother. Which is odd because bio dad is the one having the funeral, in Dallas.
I don't think money should go to anyone till the fog clears at least

Page 78 of the report you linked to is a table listing the number of children who received postresponse services by state and in no way even hints at a “60% of all mothers perpetrating maltreatment of their children” stat

Table 5-3. 63 in the numbering system, 78 in the document itself. To be fair, it does say 53.4 percent, not 60.

edit: 61/85 has a table that says parents are responsible for 77 percent of all child abuse. This may equal 60 percent if you do the raw math.

I believe the funeral is being paid for by the state,; it makes me sad to think that might mean she's buried in Potters Field.

The request for so much money is from bf's mother. Which is odd because bio dad is the one having the funeral, in Dallas.
I don't think money should go to anyone till the fog clears at least

Bio dad has one too though, asking for a lesser amount of money. The beneficiary on that one is his current significant other.

At this rate it would be cheaper for the government to pay these people $25,000 for the kids to be adopted out than the cost of putting these so called parents through the court system and keep these poor kids alive and safe. It would also ease the load on child protective services. It would I believe many would take the opportunity to get the cash. Just a thought.

Here's the table I mean.
That indicates that nearly 60% of people who are found to be the perpetrators of child abuse / maltreatment are female parents, not that 60% of all mothers abuse or mistreat their children (which was what the wording of the original comment implied). Those are vastly different things.

In TX, the program that provides monetary resources for funerals is the Crime Victims Compensation Program. It’s been a while since I researched it, so I may be a little off on the specifics, but I do recall that it’s not as “cut and dry” as it seems. I believe that the monetary assistance is provided as a reimbursement and not upfront. The reason being is they only cover certain expenses and the funds cap out relatively low IMO. There’s a review and approval process that has to be gone through as well. I want to say the max is like $6k. Don’t get me wrong, that’s a lot of $, but in terms of funerals, that’s not much in my experience. Especially when it’s for a child!! My grandmothers service was around $20k a couple years back and it wasn’t some lavish event. Luckily, most was prepaid but I was blown away when I saw the cost of a few “extras” my mom & Aunt added. MOST of the time, in circumstances like MB’s, funeral homes will donate their services and caskets mfgs will donate their goods as well. I’m a little surprised that hasn’t happened but I guess each case is unique in terms of exposure and awareness. IMO any child that dies as a result of violence should be given a royal send off with no expenses spared...but that’s just me.

I say all of this to say, the initial expenses do have to be fronted and only a portion is actually reimbursed IF it’s approved. I am in NO WAY defending the $25k fund, quite frankly, when someone sets up one of those accounts for themselves, I typically find it rather offsetting. There are cases where I think it’s fine, but after following a few child death cases and see the funds being used for things other than stated in the campaign, you get a little jaded.

$20k for a funeral? Yikes. Three years ago we buried a family member and used all of the $10k insurance policy. Think we spent an extra $1k for flowers, basic flat marker. I don’t remember any other extra costs, probably quite a markup for those.
I saw a 3 money requests but it appears the bio father’s is now the only active one.

Prayers and strength for the family.

On the day of MB's funeral service, I will say something that may get disagreement but that's okay, everyone's opinion welcome.

I wasn't just giving out platitudes yesterday when I mentioned local efforts we can do.
A big one to me is child services.
Strangely, there's never been a better
time.
*It's an election year. People running for office are out and about. Get your info ready.
For example, the locale I'm in has average of 800 cases per investigator.

How do you make a weekly home visit to 800 homes? If you did a crappy home check 5 minutes long, that's 12 per hour. 8 hour day that's 96 homes in one day, 5 days a week that's 480!

Whoops, that doesn't even include driving between homes! And don't take 10 minutes to scarf a sandwich--- that's 2 homes you won't get to.
I don't know when you'll even fill out and turn in paperwork!
TPTB say we don't have enough people.

* Again, never a better time than now. There's 40 million out of jobs, and I'm not talking bums. Smart, driven, educated people out of work.
Oh people burn out at that job. Well when they're overloaded at little pay of course. Pay better, increase staff numbers ; hire enough to do the job well.

Oh we don't have money for that.
For babies and children?
But even though we got enough firepower to kill the whole world we keep finding more money to get more
weaponry. Billions.
I know people love space exploration.
I do think it's an unnecessary luxury in times like now. I wish a politician would tell a child we can't afford to help you, but we got $2 billion to photograph a nebula millions of miles away.
If you get to ask any candidate s question, make sure to add "and don't tell me you're looking into it. If you don't have any initiative ready you shouldn't be running."
All this MHOO.

I find it interesting that the funeral and burial are in Dallas where bio dad lives.
It appears MB lived primarily with her mother and possibly bio grandmother near Houston.

Was MB’s body released to her bio father and that’s why her services are in Dallas? I’m very curious why her remains weren’t released to her mother in Houston.

I find it interesting that the funeral and burial are in Dallas where bio dad lives.
It appears MB lived primarily with her mother and possibly bio grandmother near Houston.

Was MB’s body released to her bio father and that’s why her services are in Dallas? I’m very curious why her remains weren’t released to her mother in Houston.

I was wondering if the bio mom has any kind of memorial or anything planned at all. That's very telling to me.

I do not want to be rude; I don't know another way to say this.
Very long time it took to identify MB, yet her being presentable for open casket funeral?

The casket was opened around 1hr 2min.
She was clearly visible at times and looked appropriate for viewing. There was a large yellow bow or flower on the right side of her head, mostly covering her face until the camera moved. I think that was her father who placed the tiara on her head. I didn’t see her mom or the bf but it was hard to tell who was who. I believe the woman in a black dress with black stockings was the very vocal godmother. She spent the longest time at the casket and was clearly crying. Many people just walked by and took a quick look. Maybe out of curiosity or maybe she wasn’t as unblemished as it looked on the video.

I found it sad that her bio grandmother RJ was the only person who said Maliyah’s name, who told little anecdotes about who maliyah was, how she loved pediasure and Mac & cheese. She spoke of a time maliyah wanted to “do art” so she took a pen and did art all over the walls, then wanted to help her granny clean it off. She was the only one who has given me any sense of who this child was the entire case and you can tell she loves that baby.

Such a sad, sad day.

The casket was opened around 1hr 2min.
She was clearly visible at times and looked appropriate for viewing. There was a large yellow bow or flower on the right side of her head, mostly covering her face until the camera moved. I think that was her father who placed the tiara on her head. I didn’t see her mom or the bf but it was hard to tell who was who. I believe the woman in a black dress with black stockings was the very vocal godmother. She spent the longest time at the casket and was clearly crying. Many people just walked by and took a quick look. Maybe out of curiosity or maybe she wasn’t as unblemished as it looked on the video

I found it sad that her bio grandmother RJ was the only person who said Maliyah’s name, who told little anecdotes about who maliyah was, how she loved pediasure and Mac & cheese. She spoke of a time maliyah wanted to “do art” so she took a pen and did art all over the walls, then wanted to help her granny clean it off. She was the only one who has given me any sense of who this child was the entire case and you can tell she loves that baby.

Such a sad, sad day.
Thank you. I couldn't understand before.
It's so tragic, and as you say, the grandmother is the only one who speaks of Maliyah as a person.
Rest in Peace Maliyah, in the arms of angels.

I do not want to be rude; I don't know another way to say this.
Very long time it took to identify MB, yet her being presentable for open casket funeral?
Morticians do amazing work. There are special fillers and cosmetics to insure the deceased looks presentable (and often times beautiful) for the family viewing; even with decedents who had significant damage or decomp. Morticians consider this a very important aspect of what they do, to help the family accept and grieve.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member