TX TX - Mark Davis, 20, College Station, 14 Jan 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Interesting case. I tend to think he walked off to start a new life. It sounds like he may have planned to do this. He left his ATM and c cards, his driver's license at his
parent's home. HE only took his bike and his new jacket. Maybe he had previously gotten new id's and a passport under an alias. He met someone and they drove him across the border or to an airport.

OK I see that no one is willing to look at the obvious including his parents.

Often when a person deciding to commit suicide comes to that realization and makes the plans...they feel "resolved" and will give others a sense they are in a good mood not suicidal. It doesn't surprise me they didn't detect any signs of it that night. It is what happened with him for the months and weeks preceeding his decision when he may have been conflicted that matter. Were there signs prior to that night?

I agree with you SS. When someone struggles with depression and they finally decide that the only answer is to end their life, they have a sense of calm. As if they've finally got the answer to all their troubles. Maybe I shouldn't speak in generalities. I'm only going by my own experience.

Could someone explain to me what his ties are to Latin America?! I don't understand why his father would even consider this a possibility.

Could someone explain to me what his ties are to Latin America?! I don't understand why his father would even consider this a possibility.

From the following article: http://209.189.226.235/stories/021107/am_20070211003.php

-snip-
"As a Spanish major in international studies, he was planning to study abroad for a semester," Randy Davis said. "He'd researched the Latin American countries. His favorite class was a Latin American geography course. If he got in touch with an international student, maybe somebody picked him up here in Tyler."

Randy Davis grew up in McAllen, on the Mexican border, and says his son has been to Mexico several times.

"He's been there with the family. He's been there on missionary trips," Randy Davis said. "He knows how to get across the border, and he's fluent in Spanish."

But his passport is expired, and he hasn't renewed it. His driver's license remains in the wallet he left in Tyler, but Randy Davis said his son may have a Texas A&M identification card with him. A check with the Texas Department of Public Safety shows Mark Randall Davis hasn't attempted to renew his driver's license or change his address.

I talked to Mark's dad several times via e-mail. Mark had a great deal of interest in Latin America and had done a lot of research into "study abroad" type of programs in Latin America. With his fluency in Spanish, he could very easily be in Mexico. The lack of identification would not necessarily be a problem until trying to return to the US.

MISSING

davis_mark.jpg

DAVIS

Mark Randall Davis, a 20-year-old Texas A&M University student studying Spanish, was last seen in Tyler on Jan. 14. He's 5 feet 8 inches tall with brown hair and brown eyes. Anyone with any information on his whereabouts is asked to call 903-509-0306 or visit www.findmarkdavis. com.

Yes, I wholeheartedly believe he is out there... somewhere.

Ah, Thanks! That does explain a lot as to his reasoning. However, I still don't see it as a real possibility.

As always, still thinking about Mark returning home...

Me too Arielilane, me too. I haven't heard anything, but I pray daily that Mark will contact his family and let them know he is okay. I know they are hurting, as families of all missing people are.

Just my opionion and I do not know the sufferring family and ... they are in my prayers as they suffer through their void of not knowing ....

I am sure he loved his family .... and still does ... but may have been torn with the pressures and expectations set or expected of him as many young men and women feel when they head off to college or get close to graduation. Not sure what family pressures existed ... career choice ... grades ... professional expectations .. etc .... however ... if he was in conflict ... a free spirit that wanted a life of his own .... he faced difficult decisions.

As for where he may be ... Mexico, Costa Rica, Argentina, Panama ... would be my top 4 choices as these all have American, EURO friendly spanish cultures of which a newcomer could start a new life and thrive. If he did go to Latin America.... he would also have needed help ... a friend (on-line ... college ... other aquaintence) that could have driven him ... or assisted in him fleeing the USA and providing for him for the short time.

I pray he is alive and SAFE ... getting to know himself ... and connecting back with his loving and concerned family ASAP. As much as I would want to think of myself and my needs ... I could never bear the pain of hurting my mother or father for any reason.

Peace.

If he left on his own, wouldn't there be some type of paper trail, telephone trail etc? He had to have a contact where he was going, or a passport or something?? Did he have any roommates at college? There has to be SOMEONE who knows what his state of mind was, and where he might go?!?!

Mark didn't seem to be real close to his roommates at college. I think, IIRC, he was in an off campus facility, with several other kids, sharing common area. None of them had any clue as to where he might be going or what his state of mind was. His dad did go and speak to them and cleaned out his apt.

In order to travel into Mexico, I don't think you need a passport....I know I never have, especially at a border crossing. It's only when you return to the US that you need it. When you fly across, you need a tourist paper documenting how long you will be staying. It would be very easy for Mark to go into Mexico without any papers at all. I'm not sure about the other Latin American countries. We did e-mail all of the US Consulates we could find, with a copy of his missing flyer last year, and a request that if they see him, they ask that he at least allow them to contact his family to let them know he was okay.

No mention of girls or a girlfriend.... could he have been struggling with his sexuality and took off with someone?? just trying to think of all sides.
He is so handsome and seemed to be highly intelligent.
Depression can hit around the holidays though and maybe he did want to end his life.
Wish I saw what the letter said.

Prayers that Mark is safe....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper