TX - Mass Shooting at Fort Hood, 5 November 2009 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pres. Obama could so boost the moral of your military if he would slap a
camouflage uniform on and go see our troops.

sorry for the O/T

O/T:

I agree. And he also needs to give them everything they need!!!

FORT HOOD (November 5, 2009)—Fort Hood remains on lockdown late Thursday afternoon after a shooting that apparently involved three soldiers that left 12 people dead and 31 more injured.

Fort Hood Commander Lt. Gen Bob Cone said at a news conference late Thursday afternoon that one shooter was killed and two suspects were apprehended on Thursday.

He said they are all U.S. soldiers.

ABC News indentified the shooter as Maj. Malik Hassan.

Cone said all the casualties occurred at about 1:30 a.m. at the base's Soldier Readiness Center in the post’s Sports Dome where soldiers who are about to be deployed or who are returning undergo medical screening.

He said the primary shooter used two handguns in the attack.

Witnesses, however, said more than one soldier opened fire.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/69305427.html

More at link

KXXV: Scott and White Hospital on complete lockdown. The hospital is super close to the post.

KWTX
Central Texas College, CTC, is on lockdown

Okay, hubby was career military, now retired...for hospitals and business off post to be locking down says to me that this is more than just military on military shooting...:waitasec:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/05/texas.fort.hood.background/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Fort Hood, a home for thousands

Fort Hood, Texas, is -- for all intents and purposes -- a city. With as many as 30,000 residents, it has all the trappings of an American metropolis: malls, a theater and softball fields. Beautiful subdivisions and as many as nine schools.

But in other ways, Fort Hood is like no American city. It is a transition point for troops who have served overseas, soldiers who have seen the worst that war has to offer and are returning to life at home. It is one of the first stops for U.S. troops heading to war or returning from combat.

The post is constantly in flux these days, with hundreds of troops heading to the front lines in Iraq and Afghanistan, said U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas.

Fort Hood is the largest U.S. military installations in the world by size, and on any given day, it can be home to at least 25,000 to 30,000 people, according to an Army spokesman at the Pentagon.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Okay, I think my head is going to explode! Kay Bailey Hutchinson refusing to name the suspect! :head explodes:

I wonder if this is why there was a statement made on CNN from top brass to note jump to motives.

I'm sure they're very concerned about backlash, but if it's true that this shooter is a recent convert to Islam, or even a long-time Muslim, it's going to be impossible to believe there was any other motive, unless the other two are confirmed to be in on it and non-Muslim... and not antiwar. :sheesh:

I can not help but to think that the three soldiers who are allegedly involved/responsible for this tragedy were failed, like many other soldiers, by the US military. This tragedy could have possibly been averted by proper mental health treatment.

Sad and shameful.

JMO

My thoughts and prayers go out to all at Ft Hood. This is just a horrible thing.

I really hate to see this tragedy turned into political attacks on the President and wonder if those would not be better posted in the political thread elsewhere on this site.

I still have the scanner on. The policemen are moving around between the Killeen target and the Heights target, (whatever that is)

fran

My thoughts and prayers go out to all at Ft Hood. This is just a horrible thing.

I really hate to see this tragedy turned into political attacks on the President and wonder if those would not be better posted in the political thread elsewhere on this site.

Thank you so much for saying this. Your words are so much kinder than mine. Also, I hope that no one assumes because of this man's name that his motives are because of Islam. They very well could be. However, until the whole story is fleshed out, there needs to be no jumps to conclusion. It could just as easily be a PTSD situation, or something else totally that we haven't heard yet.

KWTX
news anchor emphasizes all clear not confirmed, subsequent shooting reports were precautionary, but shooter was moving to diff locations and reloading.

I still have the scanner on. The policemen are moving around between the Killeen target and the Heights target, (whatever that is)

fran

they probably mean 'Harker Heights'...not sure about 'target' tho....unless there's some other nutjobs out there now.

I'm hoping for the best for all of our servicemen and women, and their families and loved ones. This is a terrible, terrible event and we're still figuring out the details. I know that we'll know more as time goes on, I come here to find out the details while we wait.

I know that we all love our country and we're extremely grateful for all that these men and women are doing for us. Many of us, myself included, have family members and loved ones currently serving their country. I'm a little bit ashamed that we would use this potentially historic time of tragedy for political bickering and bashing. I expect more of WS. :(

At least one U.S. soldier opened fire Thursday at Fort Hood, Texas, killing at least 11 people and wounding 31 others, military officials said.
One gunman was shot to death, and two other soldiers were in custody, Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone, commanding general of the Army’s III Corps, told reporters.
Cone gave no further details on the dead gunman. A senior Obama administration official told NBC News analyst Roger Cressey that one of the suspects who was in custody was an Army major.

The official said the shootings could have been a criminal matter rather than a terrorism-related attack and that there was no intelligence to suggest a plot against Fort Hood.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33678801/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?GT1=43001

Thank you so much for saying this. Your words are so much kinder than mine. Also, I hope that no one assumes because of this man's name that his motives are because of Islam. They very well could be. However, until the whole story is fleshed out, there needs to be no jumps to conclusion. It could just as easily be a PTSD situation, or something else totally that we haven't heard yet.

Thank you so much for saying this. I knew the minute I read the shooter's name exactly where the discussion would go--and I was correct! I do not understand how people can be so closed minded.

This brings back bad memories of the Luby's Massacre back in 1991 in Killeen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE