GUILTY TX - Michael Swearingin, 32, & Jenna Scott, 28, Temple, Bell County, found deceased, 4 Jan 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Friday, July 22nd:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 8:30am CT) – TX – Michael Lee Swearingin (32) & Jenna Kay Scott (28) (Jan. 4, 2019, Temple; found in Clearview, OK 1/9/19) – for *Maya Renee Maxwell (26/now 28) (Mark’s GF) arrested (1/11/19) & extradited from MI to TX (1/16/19), charged (1/16/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (4/26/19) with capital murder of multiple persons & 3rd degree tampering or fabricating physical evidence. $750K bond. Bond reduction denied (8/18/20).
Maxwell admitted in an arrest affidavit she took Swearingin’s car and drove it to Austin to hide it, was in the house with Marks when he reportedly killed Swearingin and Scott, drove with him to Oklahoma and was there when the bodies were buried.
Trial was set to begin on 11/15/21 continued no further dates.

Court info from 4/3/19 thru 6/4/21 reference post #12 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tt-28-temple-bell-county-4-jan-2019-2.577817/

7/19/21 Update: Next Motion to Suppress on 8/24/21. 10/26/21 Update: Maxwell is also charged with capital murder. Maxwell was set to stand trial Nov. 15 but that was delayed. A pretrial hearing in her case is now set for 2/25/22. 2/25/22 Update: Hearing was reset to 7/22/22. 3/2/22: Receipt of exhibits.
*Cedric Joseph Marks – Trial set to begin on 10/4/22.
*Ginell Marie McDonough – 1/31/20: Plead guilty. Sentencing was on 11/19/20: charges dismissed will testify against Marks.

@PommyMommy - just checking to see if there might be the next court hearing date for Maxwell yet? I'm guessing... not...

TIA! :)
THE STATE OF TEXAS VS MAXWELL, MAYA RENEE
Case Number FR80245
File Date 04/03/2019
CAPITAL MURDER OF MULTIPLE PERSONS 19.03(a)(7)

THE STATE OF TEXAS VS MAXWELL, MAYA RENEE
Case Number FR80233
File Date 01/13/2019
TAMPER/FABRICATE PHYS EVID W/INTENT TO IMPAIR 37.09(c)

Latest entries (they are the same for both cases):

07/22/2022 Pre-Trial Hearing
Judicial Officer Duskie, Steven J
Hearing Time 08:30 AM
Cancel Reason Reset

10/28/2022 Pre-Trial Hearing
Hearing Time 08:30 AM

AUG 31, 2022
A Bell County judge approved a request for capital murder suspect Cedric Marks, a former Killeen mixed martial arts fighter, to spend $7,500 to hire forensic experts to help prepare his criminal defense.

Marks — who is defending himself with defense attorneys as standby counsel in the death penalty case — said the use of the forensic experts is “paramount” for his defense at a trial. The trial, initially set for Oct. 4, but is now delayed.

[...]

(Article is paywalled and that's all I can access.)

FR80244 | THE STATE OF TEXAS VS MARKS, CEDRIC JOSEPH
  • 08/30/2022 Pre-Trial Hearing
    Hearing Time 03:00 PM
    Cancel Reason Held
  • 08/30/2022 Order
    Comment Order of State's Motion for Fingerprints SIGNED BY JUDGE DUSKIE
  • 08/30/2022 Pro Se Motion
    Comment PRO SE MOTION FOR APPOINTMENT OF EXPERT ASSISTANCE AND MOTION TO COMPELL DISCOVERY
  • 08/30/2022 Docket Entry
    Comment PT hearings; signed order approving expert funding; granted order re: fingerprints (order to be submitted). sjd
  • 09/01/2022 Letter
    Comment LETTER REGARDING FILING DOCUMENTS; SENT TO JUDGE WITH FILE
  • 09/01/2022 Pro Se Motion
    Comment PRO SE DEFENDANT'S BRIEF IN SUPPORT OF WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS TO SET ASIDE INDICTMENT OR BOND REDUCTION PERSONAL BOND PURSUANT TO TEXAS CRIM. PROC. ARTICLE 17.151
  • 09/02/2022 Order
    Comment SIGNED JUDGE DUSKIE
  • 09/13/2022 Pre-Trial Hearing
    Hearing Time 03:30 PM
  • 09/16/2022 Docket Call
    Hearing Time 02:30 PM
    Cancel Reason Reset
  • 10/04/2022 Jury Trial
    Hearing Time 09:00 AM
    Cancel Reason Reset
  • 10/07/2022 Docket Call
    Cancel Reason Other
  • 10/24/2022 Jury Trial
    Cancel Reason Other

Tuesday, Sept. 13th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 3:30pm CT) - TX – Michael Lee Swearingin (32) & Jenna Kay Scott (28) (Jan. 4, 2019, Temple; found in Clearview, OK on Jan. 19, 2019) – for *Cedric Joseph Marks (44/now 47) (ex bf of Scott’s) arrested (1/8/19) in Kent County, Mich. for a burglary warrant, waived extradition to Texas. *Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (5/10/19) with capital murder of multiple persons & tampering with evidence. $2,016,500 Bond. DA will seek DP. Bond reduction denied (3/30/21). Will be representing himself.
*Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (4/10/19) with interfering w/emergency call, false report to police officer violating protective order, burglary habitation intend.
*Charged & indicted (3/13/19) & arraigned (4/26/19) with 1st degree felony burglary (on 8/21/18 at Scott’s home). $16,500 bond on charges of interference with an emergency call, making a false police report & violation of a protection order, bond for the burglary charge is $250K, the murder of multiple persons is carrying a bond of $1.5 million & $250K. Plead not guilty to all charges.
Trial was set to begin on 6/13/22 continued to 10/4/22 is continued 10/24/22 & continued with no further dates. Representing himself pro se.
Trial was to start on 6/24/19 for misdemeanor charges (interfering w/emergency call, false report to police officer & violating protective order).

Court information from 2/3/19 thru 6/3/22 reference post #57 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...temple-bell-county-4-jan-2019-2.577817/page-3

6/10/22 Update: Marks' trial will not start on June 13th as one planned. It is now set for 10/4/22, according to the office of 426th District Court Judge Steve Duskie. 9/1/22 Update: A Bell County judge approved a request from Marks to spend $7,500 to hire forensic experts to help prepare his criminal defense. Marks — who is defending himself with defense attorneys as standby counsel in the death penalty case — said the use of the forensic experts is “paramount” for his defense at a trial. The trial, initially set for Oct. 4, but is now delayed.
8/30/22 Update: Pretrial hearing. Judicial Officer Steven J. Duskie. Hearing was cancelled. Order of State's motion for fingerprints signed by Judge Duskie. Pro Se motion for appointment of expert assistance & motion to compel discovery. Signed order approving expert funding. Granted Order re fingerprints to be submitted. 9/1/22 Update: Pro Se Defendant's brief in support of Writ of Habeas Corpus to set aside indictment or bond reduction. Personal bond pursuant to Texas Crim. Proc. Article 17.151 signed by Judge Duskie. Pretrial hearing 9/13/22 @ 3:30pm. All other hearings cancelled.
*Maya Renee Maxwell – Pretrial hearing on 10/28/22.
*Ginell Marie McDonough – 1/31/20: Plead guilty. Sentencing on 11/19/20 where
charges were dismissed, will testify against Marks.
TN/MN – April Lee Pease (30) (Mar. 17, 2009, Bloomington, not found) - *Cedric Joseph Marks (45/now 47) charged (3/16/20) with 2nd degree murder.
*Kellee Kristine Sorensen (34) – charged (3/16/20) with 2nd degree murder. $3K conditional bond. In custody in Washington State.

• 09/13/2022 Pre-Trial Hearing
    Cancel Reason Reset
  • 09/13/2022 Docket Entry
    Comment: Further TO hearing; Mr. Marks provides update re: expert timeline; requests ruling re: telephone requests (private) he has made; requests Mr. Galligan be appt stand-by counsel (he reps mr. marks on 2 other cases by appt). Identify possible trial date - Feb. 20, 2023 - will consider at next pt hearing and take up any other matters. sjd ct rep: c. dixon
  • 09/16/2022 Docket Call
    Cancel Reason Reset
  • 10/04/2022 Jury Trial
    Cancel Reason Reset
  • 10/07/2022 Docket Call
    Cancel Reason Other
  • 10/11/2022 Pre-Trial Hearing
  • 10/24/2022 Jury Trial
    Cancel Reason Other
  • 02/03/2023 Docket Call
    Judicial Officer(s) Jezek, Fancy H, Duskie, Steven J
    Hearing Time 8:30 AM
  • 02/20/2023 Jury Trial

SEP 13, 2022
BELTON — Capital murder suspect Cedric Marks was in court Tuesday, asking a judge to expand the role of one of his attorneys.

(This is all I can see of the article without a subscription.)

I can not access it either...

I shall shorten this up a bit...

Tuesday, October 11th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 3:30pm CT) - TX – Michael Lee Swearingin (32) & Jenna Kay Scott (28) (Jan. 4, 2019, Temple; found in Clearview, OK on Jan. 19, 2019) – for *Cedric Joseph Marks (44/now 47) (ex bf of Scott’s) arrested (1/8/19) in Kent County, Mich. for a burglary warrant, waived extradition to Texas. *Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (5/10/19) with capital murder of multiple persons & tampering with evidence. $2,016,500 Bond. DA will seek DP. Bond reduction denied (3/30/21). Will be representing himself.
*Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (4/10/19) with interfering w/emergency call, false report to police officer violating protective order, burglary habitation intend.
*Charged & indicted (3/13/19) & arraigned (4/26/19) with 1st degree felony burglary (on 8/21/18 at Scott’s home). $16,500 bond on charges of interference with an emergency call, making a false police report & violation of a protection order, bond for the burglary charge is $250K, the murder of multiple persons is carrying a bond of $1.5 million & $250K. Plead not guilty to all charges.
Trial was set to begin on 6/13/22 continued to 10/4/22 is continued 10/24/22 & continued on 2/20/23. (could last 3 weeks).
Trial was to start on 6/24/19 for misdemeanor charges (interfering w/emergency call, false report to police officer & violating protective order).

Court information from 2/3/19 thru 8/30/22 reference post #70 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...temple-bell-county-4-jan-2019-2.577817/page-4

9/1/22 Update: Pro Se Defendant's brief in support of Writ of Habeas Corpus to set aside indictment or bond reduction. Personal bond pursuant to Texas Crim. Proc. Article 17.151 signed by Judge Duskie. Pretrial hearing 9/13/22 @ 3:30pm. All other hearings cancelled.
9/13/22 Update: Judge Steven J. Duskie presiding. Marks provides update re expert timeline; requests ruling re: telephone requests (private) he has made; requested Mr. Galligan be appointed stand-by counsel (he reps Marks on 2 other cases by appointment). Identify possible trial dates - 2/20/23 - will consider at next pretrial hearing & take up any other matters. 9/16/22 & 10/7/22 hearings & 10/4/22 & 10/24/22 Jury Trial were cancelled & reset. Next pretrial hearing on 10/11/22 @ 3:30pm, docket call hearing on 2/3/23 @ 8:30am & trial is now set to begin on 2/20/23.
*Maya Renee Maxwell – Pretrial hearing on 10/28/22.
*Ginell Marie McDonough – 1/31/20: Plead guilty. Sentencing on 11/19/20 where
charges were dismissed, will testify against Marks.
TN/MN – April Lee Pease (30) (Mar. 17, 2009, Bloomington, not found) - *Cedric Joseph Marks (45/now 47) charged (3/16/20) with 2nd degree murder. Hennepin County.
*Kellee Kristine Sorensen (34) – charged (3/16/20) with 2nd degree murder. $3K conditional bond. In custody in Washington State. Washington: Whatcom County #20-1-00334-37 no update in MN as of 9/18/22

OCT 1, 2022
In a four-page handwritten letter to the Temple Daily Telegram, Cedric Marks talks about his pending criminal case but doesn’t include the names of Jenna Scott or Michael Swearingin, the Temple residents he is accused of killing in 2019.

“My name is Cedric Marks, and I am currently a pre-trial detainee at the Bell County Jail accused of several very serious crimes, to all of which I have maintained my innocence,” Marks said in the letter dated Sept. 13.

Marks, who is defending himself in the death penalty case with assistance from defense attorneys, complained about media coverage of pre-trial hearings he’s involved in. Specifically, he said, reporting of his alleged victims’ injuries is inaccurate. Marks attempted to act like a lawyer with his letter.

“Either way, it is unethical and defamatory reporting, and if printed again outside of fact, will be met with legal action,” Marks said.

[...]

Marks, 48, said he believes FME News Service reporter Christian Betancourt’s reporting to include autopsy report information is motivated by “his personal relationship with the alleged victim’s family.”

The reporter, who joined the Telegram in October 2021, has some contact with family members during trial proceedings. The newspaper has interviewed family members for prior reports. The late Deborah McKeon, who was named Reporter of the Year by the Texas Associated Press Managing Editors (now Texas Managing Editors) in 2020, launched the Telegram’s reporting on the double homicide case.

“It is my speculation that Mr. Bettencourt (sic) puts that in his report each time to insinuate to the public that some sort of beatings caused this young woman’s death with the wide knowledge that I am in face (sic) a former MMA competitor,” Marks said. “That statement infers guilt, and is false reporting and defamatory, which also poisons potential jurors and further perpetuates the previous false accusation that I was an abuser — which all evidence in hand completely refutes. Either Mr. Bettencourt (sic) has never seen the autopsy report or he is going on hearsay from individuals motivated to have me found guilty whether through ethical or unethical means. … I am not requesting that truth be printed because that hasn’t happened once. I am simply asking that lies not be printed. Mr. Bettencourt (sic) is free to continue his clearly biased, cherry picked reporting of me, since I seem to be his pet project due to his personal relationship with the alleged victim’s family, and his assumed need to follow suit of every other desperate reporter seeking ratings for salacious subjects.”

[...]

“Be sure to thank Mr. Bettencourt (sic) for continuing to display that picture of me each time in order to show me as some deranged person, even though that pic was taken after a month in solitary with no razor or ability to access a shower, and in fact, before this nightmare began, I’ve never had facial hair nor that look in my life,” Marks said. “I thank him because when I get through this and am able to clear my name, any future MMA opponents will be intimated from that picture alone, and since I’ve long fell (sic) out of shape to compete, I’ll need all the intimidation in the ring possible. Cheers."

OCT 1, 2022
In a four-page handwritten letter to the Temple Daily Telegram, Cedric Marks talks about his pending criminal case but doesn’t include the names of Jenna Scott or Michael Swearingin, the Temple residents he is accused of killing in 2019.

“My name is Cedric Marks, and I am currently a pre-trial detainee at the Bell County Jail accused of several very serious crimes, to all of which I have maintained my innocence,” Marks said in the letter dated Sept. 13.

Marks, who is defending himself in the death penalty case with assistance from defense attorneys, complained about media coverage of pre-trial hearings he’s involved in. Specifically, he said, reporting of his alleged victims’ injuries is inaccurate. Marks attempted to act like a lawyer with his letter.

“Either way, it is unethical and defamatory reporting, and if printed again outside of fact, will be met with legal action,” Marks said.

[...]

Marks, 48, said he believes FME News Service reporter Christian Betancourt’s reporting to include autopsy report information is motivated by “his personal relationship with the alleged victim’s family.”

The reporter, who joined the Telegram in October 2021, has some contact with family members during trial proceedings. The newspaper has interviewed family members for prior reports. The late Deborah McKeon, who was named Reporter of the Year by the Texas Associated Press Managing Editors (now Texas Managing Editors) in 2020, launched the Telegram’s reporting on the double homicide case.

“It is my speculation that Mr. Bettencourt (sic) puts that in his report each time to insinuate to the public that some sort of beatings caused this young woman’s death with the wide knowledge that I am in face (sic) a former MMA competitor,” Marks said. “That statement infers guilt, and is false reporting and defamatory, which also poisons potential jurors and further perpetuates the previous false accusation that I was an abuser — which all evidence in hand completely refutes. Either Mr. Bettencourt (sic) has never seen the autopsy report or he is going on hearsay from individuals motivated to have me found guilty whether through ethical or unethical means. … I am not requesting that truth be printed because that hasn’t happened once. I am simply asking that lies not be printed. Mr. Bettencourt (sic) is free to continue his clearly biased, cherry picked reporting of me, since I seem to be his pet project due to his personal relationship with the alleged victim’s family, and his assumed need to follow suit of every other desperate reporter seeking ratings for salacious subjects.”

[...]

“Be sure to thank Mr. Bettencourt (sic) for continuing to display that picture of me each time in order to show me as some deranged person, even though that pic was taken after a month in solitary with no razor or ability to access a shower, and in fact, before this nightmare began, I’ve never had facial hair nor that look in my life,” Marks said. “I thank him because when I get through this and am able to clear my name, any future MMA opponents will be intimated from that picture alone, and since I’ve long fell (sic) out of shape to compete, I’ll need all the intimidation in the ring possible. Cheers."
Dream on, loser. Even dumber than I thought.

@PommyMommy - any court hearing dates yet? The next one I have is docket call on 2/3/23 - maybe something in between now & then?

TIA! :)

I do have Maxwell's hearing on 10/28/22.

• 10/11/2022 Judge's Docket Sheet
    Comment - PT hearings/matters: (1) Self-representation; will address admonishments again at next hearing; (2) Appt J. Galligan as co-stand-by counsel on case; (3) request for telephone calls - Maj. Sowell testifies; under advisement; (4) Transcription of co-def statements; under advisement to review prior orders; (5) lab evidence: order state to provide information to Mr. Garcia to provide to experts; (6) proposed order on further dna testing, both sides agree; under advisement for court to review with prior orders. sjd ct rep: c. dixon
  • 10/24/2022 Jury Trial
    Cancel Reason - Other
  • 02/03/2023 Docket Call
  • 02/21/2023 Jury Trial

• 10/11/2022 Judge's Docket Sheet
    Comment - PT hearings/matters: (1) Self-representation; will address admonishments again at next hearing; (2) Appt J. Galligan as co-stand-by counsel on case; (3) request for telephone calls - Maj. Sowell testifies; under advisement; (4) Transcription of co-def statements; under advisement to review prior orders; (5) lab evidence: order state to provide information to Mr. Garcia to provide to experts; (6) proposed order on further dna testing, both sides agree; under advisement for court to review with prior orders. sjd ct rep: c. dixon
  • 10/24/2022 Jury Trial
    Cancel Reason - Other
  • 02/03/2023 Docket Call
  • 02/21/2023 Jury Trial

Thanks! :)

Members online