GUILTY TX - Michael Swearingin, 32, & Jenna Scott, 28, Temple, Bell County, found deceased, 4 Jan 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Anyone know IF this is happening? I'm (again) just getting very old articles...

Tuesday, April 5th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ am CT) - TX – Michael Lee Swearingin (32) & Jenna Kay Scott (28) (Jan. 4, 2019, Temple; found in Clearview, OK on Jan. 19, 2019) – for *Cedric Joseph Marks (44/now 46) (ex bf of Scott’s) arrested (1/8/19) in Kent County, Mich. for a burglary warrant, waived extradition to Texas. *Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (5/10/19) with capital murder of multiple persons & tampering with evidence. $2,016,500 Bond. DA will seek DP. Bond reduction denied (3/30/21). Will be representing himself.
*Charged
(2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (4/10/19) with interfering w/emergency call, false report to police officer violating protective order, burglary habitation intend.
*Charged & indicted (3/13/19) & arraigned (4/26/19) with 1st degree felony burglary (on 8/21/18 at Scott’s home). $16,500 bond on charges of interference with an emergency call, making a false police report & violation of a protection order, bond for the burglary charge is $250K, the murder of multiple persons is carrying a bond of $1.5 million & $250K. Plead not guilty to all charges.
Trial began on 4/4/22 with jury selection.
Trial was to start on 6/24/19 for misdemeanor charges (interfering w/emergency call, false report to police officer & violating protective order).

Court information from 2/3/19 thru 10/26/21 reference post #40 here:
Found Deceased - TX - Michael Swearingin, 32, & Jenna Scott, 28, Temple, Bell County, 4 Jan 2019 #2

4/4/22 Monday, Jury Selection Day 1: No info available. Trial continues on 4/5/22.
*Maya Renee Maxwell – Pretrial hearing on 7/22/22.
*Ginell Marie McDonough – 1/31/20: Plead guilty. Sentencing on 11/19/20 where charges were dismissed, will testify against Marks.

TN/MN – April Lee Pease (30) (Mar. 17, 2009, Bloomington, not found) - *Cedric Joseph Marks (45) charged (3/16/20) with 2nd degree murder. Hennepin County no update as of 1/2/22.
*Kellee Kristine Sorensen (34) – charged (3/16/20) with 2nd degree murder. $3K conditional bond. In custody in Washington State. Washington: Whatcom County #20-1-00334-37 no update in MN as of 3/13/22.

APR 4, 2022
Double murder suspect facing June trial despite pretrial hearing | kcentv.com
Cedric Marks argued for and won the right to represent himself when his trial on a capital murder charge begins. Back in October of 2021, that trial was set for April 4, 2021. It was changed to June 13 last February.

Marks entered the 426th District Court Monday for a pre-trial hearing and had several disagreements with prosecutors. This time, however, the June 13 trial date did not change.

Marks entered the room wearing a mask and spread out several documents before him. No attorney sat by his side as Judge Steve Duskie addressed him.

Marks had several issues he wanted to address. He told the Duskie he wanted to issue a subpoena to a company for some phone calls. Duskie told him he was already free to do that. Marks also said he wanted to ask for a court-appointed investigator but had put it "on the back burner." Duskie told him that had already been discussed and there is nothing stopping him from doing that as well.

"Do what you need to do," Duskie said.

[...]

APR 5, 2022
Double Murder Suspect, Cedric Marks, Still Facing June Trial Despite Pretrial Hearing - KCENTV.com | Bell County News Online
[...]

Bell County prosecutors, on the other hand, told the judge they had simply been waiting on Marks.

Marks then started on his first contentious issue. He wanted Duskie to compel prosecutors to give him a copy of the evidence and information they found during the discovery phase. He claimed he had a right to that discovery information under Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Chapter 39.

Prosecutors said pro se defendant could be shown the information but they are not required to make copies. ...

[...]

Duskie eventually denied Marks’ motion.

Marks also got into a disagreement with prosecutors over providing his fingerprints to the state. Prosecutors said Marks had only provided his palm prints and not his fingers on the two occasions that he was asked to provide prints. Marks claimed that he provided the prints correctly twice and said he didn’t want to do it again because he was worried about “a plant.” Marks did not elaborate on what that meant.

Duskie said they would need to take that issue up another day but did not change the trial date.

Okay - I see no trial - and Thank you @PommyMommy for the articles.
Here's an "Update":

Monday, April 4th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ am CT) - TX – Michael Lee Swearingin (32) & Jenna Kay Scott (28) (Jan. 4, 2019, Temple; found in Clearview, OK on Jan. 19, 2019) – for *Cedric Joseph Marks (44/now 46) (ex bf of Scott’s) arrested (1/8/19) in Kent County, Mich. for a burglary warrant, waived extradition to Texas. *Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (5/10/19) with capital murder of multiple persons & tampering with evidence. $2,016,500 Bond. DA will seek DP. Bond reduction denied (3/30/21). Will be representing himself.
*Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (4/10/19) with interfering w/emergency call, false report to police officer violating protective order, burglary habitation intend.
*Charged & indicted (3/13/19) & arraigned (4/26/19) with 1st degree felony burglary (on 8/21/18 at Scott’s home). $16,500 bond on charges of interference with an emergency call, making a false police report & violation of a protection order, bond for the burglary charge is $250K, the murder of multiple persons is carrying a bond of $1.5 million & $250K. Plead not guilty to all charges.
Trial was set to begin on 4/4/22 with jury selection was continued to 6/13/22.
Trial was to start on 6/24/19 for misdemeanor charges (interfering w/emergency call, false report to police officer & violating protective order).

Court information from 2/3/19 thru 10/26/21 reference post #40 here:
Found Deceased - TX - Michael Swearingin, 32, & Jenna Scott, 28, Temple, Bell County, 4 Jan 2019 #2

4/4/22 Update: Marks had several issues he wanted to address. He told Judge Steven Duskie he wanted to issue a subpoena to a company for some phone calls. Judge Duskie told him he was already free to do that. Marks also said he wanted to ask for a court-appointed investigator but had put it "on the back burner." Duskie told him that had already been discussed & there is nothing stopping him from doing that as well. He wanted Judge Duskie to compel prosecutors to give him a copy of the evidence & information they found during the discovery phase. He claimed he had a right to that discovery information under Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Chapter 39. Prosecutors said pro se defendant could be shown the information but they are not required to make copies. Judge Duskie eventually denied Marks’ motion. Marks also got into a disagreement with prosecutors over providing his fingerprints to the state. Prosecutors said Marks had only provided his palm prints & not his fingers on the two occasions that he was asked to provide prints. Marks claimed that he provided the prints correctly twice & said he didn’t want to do it again because he was worried about “a plant.” Marks did not elaborate on what that meant. Judge Duskie said they would need to take that issue up another day but did not change the trial date.
*Ginell Marie McDonough – 1/31/20: Plead guilty. Sentencing on 11/19/20 where charges were dismissed, will testify against Marks.

TN/MN – April Lee Pease (30) (Mar. 17, 2009, Bloomington, not found) - *Cedric Joseph Marks (45) charged (3/16/20) with 2nd degree murder. Hennepin County no update as of 1/2/22.
*Kellee Kristine Sorensen (34) – charged (3/16/20) with 2nd degree murder. $3K conditional bond. In custody in Washington State. Washington: Whatcom County #20-1-00334-37 no update in MN as of 3/13/22

@PommyMommy - when you have time - could you see if Marks has another hearing before his trial date of 6/13/22?

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-017.gif

@PommyMommy - me again :D Any updates if you can find anything? I have him on 6/13 for trial. But going to guess it will probably be delayed... again...

TIA! :)

Still can't find anything on the court site, Niner, but I did see this article. It's paywalled but mentions that Marks had a pre-trial hearing on Friday, June 3 and that Maxwell is scheduled for a pretrial hearing on July 22. MOO

JUN 3, 2022
Capital murder suspect Cedric Marks apologized to 426th District Court Judge Steven Duskie during a pretrial Friday for an outburst during a previous hearing.

“I offer my apologies for my behavior last hearing,” said Marks referring to a March 22 pretrial hearing where he abruptly decided to stand up and requested to be taken back to jail. “I will not let my emotions get the better of me.”

[...]

Still can't find anything on the court site, Niner, but I did see this article. It's paywalled but mentions that Marks had a pre-trial hearing on Friday, June 3 and that Maxwell is scheduled for a pretrial hearing on July 22. MOO

JUN 3, 2022
Capital murder suspect Cedric Marks apologized to 426th District Court Judge Steven Duskie during a pretrial Friday for an outburst during a previous hearing.

“I offer my apologies for my behavior last hearing,” said Marks referring to a March 22 pretrial hearing where he abruptly decided to stand up and requested to be taken back to jail. “I will not let my emotions get the better of me.”

[...]
Thanks - I don't have him in my notes for a hearing on 6/3 - but I'll add that. So - I'll just keep him on 6/13 - and see if there might be new updates by then.

And I do have Maxwell on 7/22.

Hopefully this is still a go for today!

Monday, June 13th:
*Trial set to begin (@ am CT) - TX – Michael Lee Swearingin (32) & Jenna Kay Scott (28) (Jan. 4, 2019, Temple; found in Clearview, OK on Jan. 19, 2019) – for *Cedric Joseph Marks (44/now 46) (ex bf of Scott’s) arrested (1/8/19) in Kent County, Mich. for a burglary warrant, waived extradition to Texas. *Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (5/10/19) with capital murder of multiple persons & tampering with evidence. $2,016,500 Bond. DA will seek DP. Bond reduction denied (3/30/21). Will be representing himself.
*Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (4/10/19) with interfering w/emergency call, false report to police officer violating protective order, burglary habitation intend.
Trial set to begin on 6/13/22.

Court information from 2/3/19 thru 10/26/21 reference post #45 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...temple-bell-county-4-jan-2019-2.577817/page-2

4/4/22 Update: Marks had several issues he wanted to address. He told Judge Steven Duskie he wanted to issue a subpoena to a company for some phone calls. Judge Duskie told him he was already free to do that. Marks also said he wanted to ask for a court-appointed investigator but had put it "on the back burner." Duskie told him that had already been discussed & there is nothing stopping him from doing that as well. He wanted Judge Duskie to compel prosecutors to give him a copy of the evidence & information they found during the discovery phase. He claimed he had a right to that discovery information under Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Chapter 39. Prosecutors said pro se defendant could be shown the information but they are not required to make copies. Judge Duskie eventually denied Marks’ motion. Marks also got into a disagreement with prosecutors over providing his fingerprints to the state. Prosecutors said Marks had only provided his palm prints & not his fingers on the two occasions that he was asked to provide prints. Marks claimed that he provided the prints correctly twice & said he didn’t want to do it again because he was worried about “a plant.” Marks did not elaborate on what that meant. Judge Duskie said they would need to take that issue up another day but did not change the trial date of 6/13/22.
6/3/22 Update: A Pretrial hearing was held. Marks apologized to 426th District Court Judge Steven Duskie during a pretrial Friday for an outburst during a previous hearing.
*Ginell Marie McDonough – 1/31/20: Plead guilty. Sentencing on 11/19/20 where
charges were dismissed, will testify against Marks.
TN/MN – April Lee Pease (30) (Mar. 17, 2009, Bloomington, not found) - *Cedric Joseph Marks (45) charged (3/16/20) with 2nd degree murder. Hennepin County
Accomplice:
*Kellee Kristine Sorensen (34) – charged (3/16/20) with 2nd degree murder. $3K conditional bond. In custody in Washington State.

JUN 10, 2022
The trial for Capital Murder suspect Cedric Marks will not start on June 13th as one planned. It is now set for October 4th, 2022, according to the office of 426th District Court Judge Steve Duskie.

[...]

:sigh:

@Niner
Oops, better add the link. LOL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members